Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL - 400W HPS

space cadet

OK, so... Considering the recent prices / crap quality of the weed i decided to grow some of my own.

I got some Dutch Passion feminised Durban Poison (100% sativa) seeds and i'm currently vegging them in temporary cardboard growbox under 3 23w 6500k CFLs:

BOX56.jpg

Seeds were germinated in paper towel for 2 days and transplanted to 1 liter (1/4 gallon) cups. Soil is some standard mix with PH around 6 - 6.5 and some vermiculite in it. This is day 5 counting from putting seeds in paper towel:

2011-11-25_2.jpg

So far i'm keeping plants under 24/0 some 10cm from CFLs. Avg temp about 25C / 77F. This is yesterday, day 13. They seem to be doing fine:

2011-12-03.jpg

Soon i will be moving them into a proper 2 part/story grow room. Stacked one above other. Room size is 80x80cm (7 square feet). 1 part for veg / mothers under current 6500k CFLs (3-4k lumens per sq feet) and and other for flowering under 400W HPS Sylvania Grolux 55k lumens 2050k. That will give me almost 8000 lumens per square feet.

Anything wrong with this plan/setup?

Also... Just started with nutes. Found some NPK 6-3-6+ME liquid nutes in local gardening store. I diluted it to almost 1-0.5-1 but i'm using this solution on every watering every second day. Which brings me to my other question: Is it ok to keep my nutrient solution mix stay too long or should i mix it every time i plan to use it? I'm not using distilled water so i'm wondering what effect all the dissolved stuff in it has been doing to nutrient compuonds. And the light, as it is in transparent/green 2 liter plastic beer bottle :) I noticed some globules forming in it. But i shake it before use and then it seems more homogenous.

Anyway... Got tired of typing. This is it so far. Updates with new pics soon...

Re: Durban Poison first grow in soil - CFL / 400W HPS

Thx jdub. But why? What's the rationale for that?

Anyway... Repotted a few days ago. This is day 19:
2011-12-09.jpg

Ex growbox transformed into CFL reflector. Still some bulbs missing though...
2011-12-09_CFLs.jpg

Also noticed first signs of trouble on bottom leaves of one plant. Nitrogen deficiency?
2011-12-09_Nitro_def.jpg

I believe.. believe, its because they will start to bind up as theres no oxygen flowing through the water, if you were to set up an airstone and water pump to keep your liquid moving around I think you can store them.. but only for a week or two .. but i could be wrong on the actual reasoning behind it. I've just always been told to mix nutes when I'm going to use them

Ok jdub ;) Whatever the reasoning behind it i'll be mixing it right before use...
Just fed them with a stronger mix today. Tied them down a few days ago. Yea, a bit late for proper LST spiral but they seem to be bushing out nicely anyway.

Day 24 from seed:
2011-12-14_All.jpg

They all have 3-5 tops allready:
2011-12-14_Tops.jpg

Looking very nice bud! I like your LST that you've got going, it definitely helps the yield and really improves the light coverage. Looking forward to some beautiful bud shots :goodjob:

Yea, they're growing really fast now. You can almost notice the difference each day. I guess I'll run out of space soon :) A week or two and I'll move them under 12/12 HPS. Except the little one in the back. I'll keep her under CFLs for clones.

Day 26:
2011-12-16.jpg

space cadet said:
Yea, they're growing really fast now. You can almost notice the difference each day. I guess I'll run out of space soon :) A week or two and I'll move them under 12/12 HPS. Except the little one in the back. I'll keep her under CFLs for clones.

Day 26:

Me and you are at same place. I'm day 27. Excited for flower but I'm waiting a few more weeks

Day 28.
They are topping all over the place. I had to drill more holes on pot sides to tie them all to the sides.
I ran out of space on shelve so I had to put them on the floor and rotate around for better light coverage.

2011-12-18_All.jpg

2011-12-18_Top.jpg

Day 30.
Noticed something on one of the plants that appears to be PH related?
I believed my soil was PH 6-7. I was wrong. I checked my soil bag and it says PH 5-6 :yikes:
With all the nutes so far it may as well be below 5 by now...

2011-12-20_Low_Ph_1.jpg

2011-12-20_Low_Ph_2.jpg

Gotta get PH tester and do something about it ASAP.

I just foliar and regular fed them. Bad idea?
They look OK, considering the PH screwup...
2011-12-20_All.jpg

Aw, snap! Literally.
One of the main tied branches that was just in front of the fan snapped. Just hanging there by a thread all wilted. Must have been like that for a couple of hours, getting all brown...
2011-12-20_Broken_branch.jpg

I tied it in opposite direction and wrapped around with some electrical tape. I doubt it will recover but... we'll see...
2011-12-20_Broken_branch_fix.jpg

2011-12-20_Broken_branch_fix_2.jpg

One of my stems broke during lst and I taped a straw onto it and it came bk stronger than ever... I think you shall succed, unless you caught it too late

I doubt it man. Its not like she was 1/2 or 3/4 snapped and I noticed it immediately. This was more like 99% and left like that for hours...
I could have better chance with using it as a clone.

Broken branch is doing just great. It think she's totally going to make it :p
Sarcasm aside... Snap was obviously too severe. Cutting fan leaves didn't help either. It did glue itself together but that's about it.
2011-12-20_Broken_branch_dead.jpg

Not a big deal really. Extreme topping :)
There's a lot more free canopy space for new tops in that pot + lesson learned.

The top didn't make it (dried out completly) but the rest of the plant is looking good.
It's the tallest plant in fact (bottom right):
2011-12-22_All.jpg

Under the hood:
2011-12-22_Broken_top.jpg

Back
Top Bottom