Strapped420's First Ever Grow - Outdoor - Recycling Bin White Rhino Grow Journal 2012

strapped420

Hey guys, First post on this board. I don't smoke anymore, but I am just going to get a grow going for some fun, And for some friends... I got some White strain, And i bought 6 of them. They came in Styrofoam cups. I have no idea how to grow these or what to do. I have no HPS or any of those other lights, But i might b able to buy one tonight.. Not sure tho. I have been bringing them outside, I've had them for about 5 days now.. Im pretty broke, So i plan on doing an outdoor grow. I have a spot picked out, And I have a rope going around it with some fishing line. I took one of them out of the Styrofoam cup, And the stem is in this like foam type thing.. Anyone tell me what that is?
Here are some more questions:
* What should i do about the light/sunlight situation? Should i leave indoors, in a dark room, in a closet with the light on?
*Can someone explain the light cycle i need? again, These are going to be outdoor plants.
*ANy advice, Is GREATLY appreciated. If theres any pictures you need me to take to help, I will gladly post them up.
I gotta figure out how to post pics... So those will be here shortly.

transplntd.jpg

Whr_r_now.jpg

All39.jpg

5_Sick_Droopy.jpg

1_tallest.jpg

1_24.jpg

re: strapped420's First Ever Grow, Outdoor, Recycling Bin White Rhino Grow Journal '12

If you are going to be doing these outdoors I would recommend putting them in containers (probably 10-15 gallon pots) so you can bring them inside overnight towards the end of the season in late September/early October as I have heard that region is hard to finish plants outside in time. I use Roots formula 707 soil, it has all kinds of good stuff mixed in plus some perlite for drainage. It costs like 25 bucks for a 20 gallon bag. Fox Farm is also excellent but a little more pricey. Whatever you do just stay away from Miracle gro soil and fertilizers. Miracle gro has time release nutrients in them and burn your plants when they are young and don't let you control the nute dosing at all. Even if you can't afford/find roots or fox farm soil, buy some cheap potting soil from lowes or home depot for 2 bucks a bag, just the real generic bag that says top soil. Make sure they don't have any fertilizer mixed in. If you go the top soil route, just mix in some perlite (about 15% to the 85% soil) to assist in drainage.

Also you are going to need to buy some nutrients to use for your plants. They are going to need some food during their growth cycle which the quantities change during specific growth times. Some really good, cheap nutrients are blue planet nutrients. They are specifically formulated for pot and a lot of growers use them on this forum (they are a sponsor). The kind I use is the 3 part series. There is a bottle of grow, bloom, and micro. Each bottle has different quantities of nutrients in them that you mix strengths depending on the age of the plant and whether or not it is flowering. blueplanetnutrients.com

As far as light goes, just put them in an area that gets the most direct sunlight per day possible, ideally at least 6 hours of direct, sun blazing on the plant light. The more the better. You don't need to worry or do anything with the light schedule to start flowering. The days are long now and the herb knows it and will grow in the vegetative state on its own until the days start to shorten in late July. Once the plant senses Fall coming and the days shortening, flowering will start on its own. Best advice for you is to read through the outdoor grow forum on this site and google outdoor grows in the New York area to see what fellow New Yorkers do. The foam thing is probably just rockwool or some type of starter pellet. Growers often use those to start the clones out, they work really well. Another good tip is not to over think it and add to many nutes and try and get too fancy. I have found out that the simpler the better, pot is a resilient, vigorous plant and really needs minimal interference from us other than some good soil, nutes, and light.

I also have two or three links in my signature below with some outdoor grows if you want to look through them and see what I did.

re: strapped420's First Ever Grow, Outdoor, Recycling Bin White Rhino Grow Journal '12

Thank you so much for the info it's greatly apprecited!!! :thanks:
I bought a HPS light.... But i don't have a F'ing Ballast... So i went to Walmart and bought a plant growing light for like ten bucks, Got some soil, And a pool dip tester which tests for PH chlorine, and Alkalinity. Im so upset i feel this is going to be a failure and $$ down the drain... The clones aren't rooting yet ( i don't think) And I've got no more $$ to spend... this has me bummed out so bad.. Any more tips? The run off is coming out good, neutral PH but what should the alkalinity be? this is day 5.

Ya no problem for the info, if any more questions or problems pop up just ask. I would definitely return the miracle gro and try and visit a garden center near you. You can most likely find some pretty decent potting soil for the same price or cheaper than the MG, just add perlite if the soil you get doesn't have it. Or ideally, try and buy some roots or fox farm soil both are really good, with the roots being cheaper. Here are the links for their sites, both can be found and most nurseries/garden centers and for sure all hydro shops: FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer CompanySoil & Media - Formula 707

And for the clones, you sure they don't have any roots, they must because they are pretty tall and have some branching but if they were just huge cuttings and still don't have roots you have to construct some sort of humidity dome over them. Some sort of clear plastic cover that all plants can fit under that keeps humidity close to 100%. Spray the inside of the dome throughout the day to keep the humidity up and root growth will hopefully start if it hasn't already.

Tips would be to just try and keep it as simple as possible and don't over do it with nutrients, watering, and generally messing with them. They do the best with minimal interference and the proper soil and nutrients. First time growers generally over water which can be really bad. Just stick your pinky finger into the soil and check to see the moisture content down to your knuckle, like 2-3 inches or so. If its dry water, if its still moist even a little try and hold off until its dry. For the light, unless you plan on growing them outside all summer than finish them indoors under the HPS you probably won't need the grow lights. You can even just keep them outside during the day when its cold in September/October and move them indoors overnight, just make sure its completely dark the entire night. Pot can take temps down near freezing for around 4 hours or so without dying I believe, but will grow and do fine in the low 50's during the fall months I have found with my plants. CO gets cold as well and I never really have a problem.

Thanks for the info! Im so upset i gotta find a ballest for my HPS. I made a sorta humidity dome, I took a big plastic bin with the top, Made the whole inside shiny foil, Made a hole in the top for my bulp, I put plants in, mist the walls an top, turn the light on, close lid. I have a heat blanket wrapped around it and i turn it on high. I was told they should be getting approximitly 15-16 hours of light a day. so when it gets dark here, I bring them inside. How does that sound?

No, do not bring them inside. Outdoor growing is completely different from growing inside so just disregard the need for 18 on and 6 off which is what most growers use for veg inside. Your plants outside will sense what time of the year it is and know to veg and for how long to do so.. Right now, it is warm enough outside for you to just leave the plants outside 100% of the time unless some crazy weather hits (downpours, tornadoes, etc) The plants will automatically sense the days shortening (sunlight recieved) at the end of July and begin flowering on there own. You do not need to do anything to make them flower outside unless you are trying to start flowering sooner than mother nature dictates. That is why in my previous post I said don't worry about the ballast if you are growing outdoors as you do not need grow lights outside. The sun is 1,000,000 times more powerful than HPS bulbs and the HPS bulbs are sort of designed to mimic the suns rays of autumn, not the other way around. For your humidity dome, use a clear tub like you did, no foil. Its purpose is simply to let light through and keep humidity up to stimulate root growth. If you were growing indoors with a hum dome, same premise. Clear dome with the light on the outside of the clear dome.

Alright buddy, I relised i had some major roots growing and they were poking out of the holes in the bottem of the stytofoam cup. So last night, I went ahead and peeled the styrofoam and planted my baby girl cup #1 in a black recycling bin SIZED box with hol'es drilled in it. I have 1 plant per rcycling bin, And have 2 out right now. I got some money So i'll go grab some generic soil. What else should i buy??

I'll get some Pics up by the way, And what shouldi use for pest control? I currently have a rope and fishing line barrier around them, But im talking about bugs. I heard mothballs work well. I have cut in half beer cans with beer still in the that seems to work decent.

Nice man, ya I figured with the size and overall health of your plants, they had to have some roots going or else the guy you got them from took some monster cuttings. As for the pests, I know beer will attract slugs and other bugs, not really sure though. I rarely have bug problems but I will still buy a bag of ladybugs once a month and let them go to town. You can get like 2000 of em for 8-10 bucks and they just eat all bugs, leaving your herb alone. If you get some type of infestation neem oil works well and is a pretty good deterrent/killer of most problem bugs. Its a real stinky, thick amber liquid that is derived from the neem tree (seeds and fruit pressed). Don't worry if you see nibbles on some of your leaves, it happens and is impossible to prevent. Some bugs are just bound to nimble on them from time to time.

Only thing you will probably need is some nutrients. I would recommend Blue planet nutrients. They are a sponsor of this site and sell cheap, quality nutrients. Just read up in the grow room forum for more in depth nutrient knowledge.

I made a soil last night for the other 2 plants, I bought a big bag of generic scotts potting soil, and permilite also some mircle grow plant food, and this stuff called Seven or 7 which is a bug and pest killer specifically for plants. its a flour like substance and i sprinkled a light dsting on my plants, and all around the spot. The soil is composed of scotts, perilite, and a smal amount of miracle grow plant food. they're like these little balls.
I am kind of nervous cus when i transplanted some of the plants from the Styrofoam cups, some of the soil and roots broke. I am hoping it grows more. But anyways, got four out there and i'll post up some more pic's =)

Well it gets pretty hot in Colorado so my plants need quite a bit of water. I usually water every 3-4 days depending on the heat. Some can go for like 1 week between waterings. To check to see when to water, stick your pinky finger down into the soil (away from main stem, towards container barrier) up to your first knuckle, if down about 2" is dry you need to water. Just make sure the soil is completely dried out before watering, big mistake for first time growers is over watering which can be disastrous. Another method is called the lift method or something like that. Basically you wait until your soil is completely dried out than pick up the container to see how heavy it feels when dry than just water when it gets down to that weight. It takes a little while, but after some practice you can really judge when to water pretty accurately by lifting the pot.

Right on man. The mg should prob work but in the future or if possible for this grow try and grab some nutes for mmj. Blue planet nutrients are awesome, cheap, and specifically formulated for marijuana. Google them for mire info. Corey is the owner and a member of this site and does a lot of sponsorering of members where he sends you nutes for free you just use his exclusively and rep them in your grow journals or in this thread.

Full view, I moved them.
full_view_outdoor_spot.jpg

some plant shots
11578.jpg
21193.jpg

These are 3 sick ones that i think are geting alot better:thumb: We had alot of rain earlier today so that may have clean the soil out.
3_sick_bbys_im_tryna_save.jpg

Lol, Made this in MS paint... Just shows where they are, and what the numbers mean.
Shitty_map_of_op.jpg

Got the bins the plants are in, and the things under the bins all from behind a gas station. drilled some holes in the bins.
What_they_re_on_top_of.jpg

Side view of #1, if u look at my earlier pics this is same #1
side_view_of_1.jpg

Full view of another plant
full_view3.jpg

above view #1
above_view_of_1.jpg

Any suggestion's ,feedback lemme know =) take care!!!!

Back
Top Bottom