First Ever Closet Grow Using a 300 Watt CFL - a Bit of Skill and a Lot of Luck!

newbiedude

Hello everyone, this is my first forum thread ever so bare with me. After reading many forum posts, threads, journals and such i have decided to give growing a go. It sounds fairly easy, a lot of fun and i would love to reap the rewards of something that i have created, so here goes.
I'll start off by listing things that i have used and bought for the grow. Boring i know, but as i am new to this i need as much support as there is out there :)

1 x 300 watt CFL ( i don't mean a 300 watt equivalent, i mean an actual 300 watt bad boy which must be like 1200 watt equivalent?!)
Bulb hanger
1 x 6 inch desk fan
10 x 10cm pots
mylar refelctive sheeting
duct tape (lots)
2 x Roasting tins (my cheap alternative for a reflector, cost me £1.50 each)
garden wire
spray gun for leaf watering/feeding
Biobizz branded Grow and Bloom nutrients (i may also try Root Juice? opinions?)
John Innes potting soil, perlite and vemiculite
soil tester
P.H meter
Rhino 4'' 100Mm, Filter Extraction Kit 100X300
Last but not least i bought a small room dehumidifier

So hopefully if you're not bored already you will still be reading (or i'm talking to myself which happens a lot....)
I will be needing to buy a few more things such as pruning scissors, bigger pots, and whatever else gets suggested or that i think of down the line!

Day 1:
Constructed grow room (pic to follow)
Placed 2 White Widow seeds that i bought from The Widow | Buy the Hardcore White Widow Which Takes No Prisoners! into damp tissue using room temp water straight from the tap, put between two plates to retain heat and put in a dark warmish place.
IMAG002020.jpg

Day 2:
Checked seeds after 24 hours; they had cracked and were showing their tiny white tap roots. I made a medium mix using 2 litres of potting soil, 1 litre of perlite and 1/2 litre of vermiculite ( i don't know if this is correct but it seems to be working :) ), placed seeds 1/4 inch deep and loosely covered. I then saturated the pots and placed cling film around them to act as a humidity trap and put them in the grow room above the light so as just to get warmth to the seeds (i don't think they need any light until they sprout a couple inches above the surface?)

Day 3:
Checked seeds, no sign of sprouting yet, temp of grow room is usually just above 80 F and humidity is around 50% (i have yet to install my extraction kit so maybe this is why) Sprayed pots with room temp water from spray gun which i keep filled and in my grow room to maintain a nice warm temp for my babies.

Day 4:
Yes! First signs of 1 of the seeds sprouted, i honestly thought it was never going to happen. Have moved both pots now under the lamp rather than above (for heat purposes only of course, i'm not that stupid lol), and put on an 18/6 light cycle up until flowering, (pic to come)
I've estimated this grow will cost around £1 a day to power, which is pretty effing cheap if you ask me! :rocker:
IMAG002120.jpg

Wow! Just checked my girls ( after only 4 hours!!!) and am astonished at the speed of growth. I can also see the sprout/root showing in the second pot, seems all good.
IMAG002222.jpg

Re: First ever closet grow using a 300 watt CFL, a bit of skill and a lot of luck!

hey Newbiedude cant wait to see this one get started:)

Re: First ever closet grow using a 300 watt CFL, a bit of skill and a lot of luck!

hey Newbiedude cant wait to see this one get started:)
Hey there fishcake, many thanks for your post. I am delighted that somebody took time to read my journal!
I have just updated a pic of my little baby.

right on cant wait to see it.
love white widow. will be watchin for it :)

just finished my harvest and about to close my journal up. so now you can keep me happy with your grow.

i can not see your pic could be my computer enjoy your grow

yeah what D.Zero said:)
i can not see your pic could be my computer enjoy your grow

Hi everyone, just a quick update. I'm getting really into this now. I've NEVER had any type of hobby that i have stuck to so i think i have found my calling in life, lol.
Just checked my babies, the second one has sprouted and has started to stand proud :)
I though what the hell and germinated another 3 seeds because i was worried that the 2 that i planted were knackered (how wrong i was), they look very happy!

Response to the pics not being available, i believe they have to be verified before able to be viewed publicly, so seeing as i only uploaded them today i guess they will be view-able tomorrow???! I don't know.
Much love guys, peace out for today.

Oh yeah i forgot to ask, i am having trouble keeping the humidity between 50 and 60%, seems to peak at 49 :(
Help please.
I have tried adding a bowl of hot water to the room, turned fan off, moved fan, opened door, everything and nothings working, should i be worried?
Cheers guys.

If you are having trouble with it not being humid enough, I wouldnt worry a lot but if you have a spray bottle you can givem a bit of a spritz every once in awhile. weed grows in some wild places and is a hardy plant. so as long as she can drink from down under she will survive most of the time:)
oh here is a pic of my current harves and grow
DSC019692.JPG
DSC019732.JPG

Hey newbieguy, I know exactly what you mean about never sticking at a hobbie and that. Growing cannabis takes over your brain, its all I think about! Im on my first grow too, 2x autoflowers, criticalxskunk#1 and dieselxcritical. They're almost ready now. Il be following your journal with great interest! Good luck and happy growing!

Hey newbieguy, I know exactly what you mean about never sticking at a hobbie and that. Growing cannabis takes over your brain, its all I think about! Im on my first grow too, 2x autoflowers, criticalxskunk#1 and dieselxcritical. They're almost ready now. Il be following your journal with great interest! Good luck and happy growing!

Hey Aron, thanks for your post. I'm astounded at the amount of views my journal has already had!
Wicked dude, i hope you have the best of luck with yours, i'm a little worried as probably all first timers are that i may not be doing everything right but as they say "practice makes perfect!" And boy am i going to do some practicing!!
I will try and view your journal and hope to pick up some pointers.
Good luck and happy growing my friend!

thats right! cannabis is not addicting but growin cannabis is:)

If you are having trouble with it not being humid enough, I wouldnt worry a lot but if you have a spray bottle you can givem a bit of a spritz every once in awhile. weed grows in some wild places and is a hardy plant. so as long as she can drink from down under she will survive most of the time:)
oh here is a pic of my current harves and grow
DSC019692.JPG
DSC019732.JPG

Hey fishcake i just replied to your post but i don't think it updated properly. I think i said something like thanks for the advice about humidity, i've stopped worrying a bit now, cheers.
Your crop looks absolutely gorgeous, can't believe how fat them buds are, so jealous!
I've just received my extractor fan, carbon filter and ducting so i hope to get that lot installed soon, but i'm concerned that the fan did not come with a plug. It has the power cable but no plug, do i need to buy just a normal plug or something else???! Help please, and many thanks for your continued support you lovely people here :)

Hey Aron, thanks for your post. I'm astounded at the amount of views my journal has already had!
Wicked dude, i hope you have the best of luck with yours, i'm a little worried as probably all first timers are that i may not be doing everything right but as they say "practice makes perfect!" And boy am i going to do some practicing!!
I will try and view your journal and hope to pick up some pointers.
Good luck and happy growing my friend!
I am hoping you will post some pictures soon...Your descriptions are great,but "every picture tells a story" as Rod Stewart said...As far as the hobby thing, you will find the time and effort well worth it in the long run. I have been called "Hobby ____" by my friends...the blank is my last name which will remain anonymous for reasons we all understand. I have two that keep me occupied, one is MMJ and the other is "hotrodding" and have a 1948 Anglia with a 400hp small block Chevy in it. Good luck with your grow.:cheesygrinsmiley::tokin:

sorry boss dont know anything about your fan. maybe dial up the mfg.?

I'm subbed. Can't wait for the pics.

sorry boss dont know anything about your fan. maybe dial up the mfg.?
Hey buddy i emailed the place where i got the fan from and the only thing i needed was a simple plug!!
I'm such a noob it makes me laugh.
Oh yeah i need to ask, how on earth do you make the fans quieter, the one i got is like a frikin jumbo jet engine and i dont think the neighbors are going to be best pleased, help please matey.

I'm subbed. Can't wait for the pics.
Hey dude, i've uploaded a couple of pics of grow room and first seedlings but they don't seem to be visible in my blog so i have messaged the admin, hope my pics are viewable soon, i'm sick of all this typing lol.

again my friend I cannto answer that I grow in a room of my house and have no tent or issues with messin up other folks lives. if you know what I mean:)
Hey buddy i emailed the place where i got the fan from and the only thing i needed was a simple plug!!
I'm such a noob it makes me laugh.
Oh yeah i need to ask, how on earth do you make the fans quieter, the one i got is like a frikin jumbo jet engine and i dont think the neighbors are going to be best pleased, help please matey.

Back
Top Bottom