My Low Budget Medical Grow

closetorganic

What strain is it? 2 different bag strain clones
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?flower
If in Veg... For how long?one strain 2clones cut 10/30/12 other strain 3clones 11/30/12
If in Flower stage... For how long?started 1/28/13
Indoor or outdoor?indoor
Soil or Hydro?soil
If soil... what is in your mix?used FxFrmOcean Forest, used ProMix Bx, worm castings, homemade compost, perlite, amendments per pot 2 tblsp lime 3 tblsp nitrogen guano 3 solo cups compost 2 solo perlite
If soil... What size pot?3 gal
Size of light?400w switchable ballast
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room/cab?80 average light on
RH of Room/cab?average 30
PH of media or res?6.5
Any Pests ?ongoing fungas nats spidermites
How often are you watering?
Type and strength of ferts used? G O Biothrive
0021157.JPG

This isnt my first grow although I am far from experienced.
Im not true organic , I just try to stay natural/organic minded.
These clones were in veg under T5 with GLR hours, starting 8am as in flower now. The 3 smaller clones were cut 11/30 and I feel is better strain maybe more indica They came from seeds I got from dispesery just forgot name :oops:. The 2 bigger ones were cut 10/30 and seem to grow sativa like to me they came from seeds that were given to me. I sprouted all the seeds at once keeping the strains divided about may last year. Sexed them and grew best 5 indoor rest went to 3 different locations outdoors. I never cloned the first ones and finally last july took 4 clones off each strain from the only location that ending up making it, only one did.:amen: I set up a veg spot and kept a clone mom of each flowered 4 and had an extra one I left with Moms. Those 4 budding showed deficientcies and stress and that is how I found 420 searching for photos of defecies and got
Problems, Pests & Disease Control
Strangely I took a clone from each of those 4 budding not from moms They lived and were my next grow with that extra one frm july with my moms that I entered in Nov 12 P O M contest.So I cut 5 clones from one mom 10/30 They all lived 2 were in last grow with each mom, low yeild early finish 2 buddin now and one in veg for mom again:hmmmm: 4 more clones taken 11/30 from other mom that all lived 3 flowering now and the other in veg
So thats my runs with these 2 strains. Besides being stuck on soil I am open to better my grow. I will listen to suggestions and advice given and take criticsm on faults in my style. I grow for my own medical needs. I would like to become good enough some day to be a caregiver of another patient or even have harvest pass dispensary test on mold pesticides proper harvest time and cure to help others with my excess
I will put up some pics of past grows on these strains and try to keep this journal current on things done and going on now. I will answer questions and help others if asked. I type slow and never social media facebook or anything as this is my first journal , please have patience!
:thanks: closetorganic :peacetwo:

This grow I looked for help and found 420 mag
05438.JPG

next grow outer 4 clones off last grow the big one was the extra
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/58110.JPG[/IMG
here is how she looked for my contest entry
[IMG]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/5701.JPG
next and last grow both moms and 2 clones from only one on left
0011147.JPG

My plans for the 2 bigger clones are to defoliate them at day 21 of flower(showing hairs) which was like after 2 dark nights. They were under gas light veg 12 hour light on 5 off 2 on 5 off. This was my first exp with GLR and Im curios how the stretch will turn out now. Oh I kinda lolipoped them and transplanted from 1 gal pot to these 3 gal on those 2 right when I put them in flower, On ewas topped maybe 2 weeks ago and the other ws topped when I lollipopd. I rotate the plants daily in saucers and I just modified my room for light leaks and to better adjust light location
007790.JPG

My original setup had the reflctor perm centered and I adjusted hieght retying wires hanging it and noticed the bulb wasnt centered either . I rigged it this way I can slide the 1x2 holding lamp left right and front back still with retying for height over 2 floating 1x2's.I hope it works This grow is the first use of it.
0041020.JPG

Hairs appeared 1/29 on the bigger ones getting defoliated so 19 days to first real defoliation attempt. I plan on spreading branches afterwards to fil in their sides of the maybe supercrop if needed. The other 3 I hope to keep more one main indica cola style growing more up than out and they wont be needing as much defol maybe just trim off or clone some of the lower branches,They are being slower for showing barely at 3 days in here.
005964.JPG

I sat and had a moment with the ladies just now. Its been 7 days in flower so far and they are showing good. I realized I should name each strain for easier reference. So the 2 older clones are A1 n A2 the other 3 B1 B2 B3. Ive never kept a record of things kinda just did something and tried to remember it so this journal will be nice to be able to look back on. So here is what Ive done since opening day. Well opening day watered 2 gal 2 tsp GO Biothrive bloom 1 tsp GO Biothrive grow about 1/4tsp Superthrive per gal of tap water dechlorinated atmin 24 hours. Night 3 just at lights going out 1 tsp Dyna Gro Pure neem Oil and 1 tsp dish soap in a quart of DC tap water sprayed nearly emptying on all 7plants(2 in veg) Day 4 watered 3 gals same mix. I had ran out of the grow fert too and today the 3 biggest A1 A2 B1 are bone dry up top actually A2 was first yesterday but B2 and 3 are damp at touch. I will water tonight 3tsp bloom 1/4 tsp superthrive per gal. I have enough bloom left to finish this grow I think but had recently seen a post of GO Biothrive dose chart that uses additional Go products Ive never tried. Ill have to find again to bring to my journal. If you buy the go kit it has all I hink and hopefully I will get one this week and switch to their feed sched Maybe? Right now to me they seem ahead a little and I am going to scratch some phos guano in each pot like 2 or 3 tbls tomorrow just because I heard you should do that at 2 weeks in to flower which is where they seem to me now especially on the A strain. This may be from GLR veg which is fine with me!A Faster Full Finish sounds good.

Also with the defoliate practice I want to attempt at day 21 looks like that may be to long I have plucked a few big fans offA1 that were covering 2 nice spots and I see A2 full of fans but havent sniped any yet They both are like lollipop bushes at 22inches from pot top and about 18" diameter. The top of pot sits 11" high.B1 is 18 tall 16 wide B 2 n 3 are 12 x 14. The widths I would like to keep at since the room is only 3o" x 47" x 60"tall Im good at height I think even though bulb can only hit about 52 high. Its at 37" now.A1 n 2 are at the sides about same distance from bulb as Bs. The canopy is in a v shape. The A plants I will try and train in a more rectangular shape spreading them out a little soon I hope.

This was nice info on GLR. My first exp going from it to flower now

10-17-2012, 07:40 PM #82
Alkhemist
420 Member
post #82 on this completed journal
Alkhemist - Soil - Big Budxsuper Skunk #1 First Grow Journal

something i found over at UK420:

The Gas Lantern Routine

This information will seem quite revolutionary to growers who have been using the standard cycles to produce cannabis, seemingly with little or no trouble at all. Actually, in a grow that more closely mimics the outdoor growing environment under indoor lighting conditions, the plants may be maintained in vegetative cycle using only a total of 13 hours of light daily, which dramatically reduces the cost of production.

The less is more approach of the Gas Lantern Routine provides the growing plant with adequate darkness to promote health, and by inserting a full hour of light in the center of the dark period, the plants are tricked, and neither flower nor express hermaphrodites. The growing plants get more than the average amount of rest, thus reducing stress, and improving plant yield, overall performance, and medicinal quality.

Seedlings and Cuttings

The Gas Lantern Routine is applicable in seedling phases of plant growth. As stated before, nowhere in nature does the springtime ever provide an 18-hour photosynthesis length; rather, the growing spring light may in fact be 12 hours or less. Lighting for seedlings and cuttings needs to be bright, but compact fluorescent or T5 lighting may be used while in the seedling phase. Rooted mature cuttings can immediately light with HID lighting.

The Vegetative Schedule

This method is quite simple: 12 hours of light, followed by five and one half hours of darkness, a single hour of light exactly, and then a second period of five and one half hours of darkness. Placing a full hour of light in the very center of a 12-hour dark period tricks the plant and interrupts the buildup up of sensitive floral hormones, which would normally trigger flowering by destroying them. The grower simply raises the plants to the desired size before switching to the fall schedule to bloom.

Using this method, vegetative duration may be also reduced, and with a shorter growth cycle comes more frequent and better production. Vegetative cycles can be shortened by one to two weeks, and flowering may also be shortened a week or more using this method in con- junction with a diminishing light schedule.

For patients growing their own medicine or for compassionate cannabis providers, production turnover may be increased from four to five crops per year or more using rotation, and power consumption can be reduced even further by the use of high-intensity fluorescent lighting during vegetation, and overall, power consumption savings can be 50 percent or more.

The Flowering Schedule

Plants that have been grown up using the Gas Lantern Routine are now supercharged with floral hormones, and ready to go into flower with the slightest provocation. The interruption of the dark period has been destroying enough of the naturally building hormones to keep the plant from expressing sex, and the well-rested plant now has plenty of stored nutrients and energy to finish its life cycle and flower. Triggering the plants is essentially just a matter of removing the interrupting light period, so the plants may now experience the full buildup of hormones that will trigger blooming.

In keeping with providing all the correct organic biological and environmental needs of the plant, the diminishing fall schedule should be employed to take full advantage of the hormonal preparation created by using the Gas Lantern Routine. The diminishing hours of light in nature trigger acceleration in the production of hormones in the plant, making it flower with increasing speed and power.

The Diminishing Lighting Schedule

The diminishing fall schedule begins with an evenly halved light schedule, using 12 hours for the first two weeks to trigger the plant into bloom, and then further reducing the lighting for increasing darkness time by one half hour every week.

The final week of flowering will provide the plants with a mere nine hours of light, with 15 hours of darkness, forcing a resulting final explosive hormonal buildup. This sends the plant into blooming overdrive and produces resin far beyond the normal plant’s limits.
When the Gas Lantern Routine and Diminishing Light Schedule are used together, they create healthier, more naturally robust plants. These important and historical botanical techniques are soon going to become very important techniques in the coming years as medicinal cannabis research continues to advance. When viewed from cost of production, organics, and medicinal needs, the methods currently being promoted can be seen counter to the interests of growing healthy plants. Understanding your plants is the best way to grow the best medicine, and looking for solutions to growing problems by observing nature always provides the right answers.

Pro:

Saves electricity (11hrs of saving from 24/0, 5hrs of saving from 18/6)
Promote healthy plants. Any deficiency it has the plant will be able to bounce back with new growth after adjustment is made
Promote plants growth, 2x more than 18/6, and 3-4x more from 24/0
Cuttings will root much faster with thicker roots and more hairs
Clones under bloom (12/12) will induce flowering much sooner
Less on hours = less heat = stealth

Con:

Must have good ventilation if the tent is closed or the tent has to be left open for the 1hr on between the dark cycle.
Must have good odor control. Healthy plants produce more aroma even in veg.
Plants in small container may get root bound due to rapid growth

Some tips using GLR (theory):

Have the light on a timer so the on/off is consistent daily. Manual on/off may induce flowering.
Use mix light or MH. Try not to use just HPS. The spectrum from HPS may induce flowering even with the 1 hour on between the dark cycle.
For the 1 hour on use a cheap light source like Fluorescent light or CFL instead of using HID light. Have it on a separate timer only turn on 1hr between the dark cycle and have the HID light set at 12/12. Normally with any other light cycle the ballast is turned on once in 24hrs, with GLR it turned on twice. This may shorten the lifespan of the ballast and bulb. If you decided to run Fluo/CFL then make sure the tent is well lid any shaded area or area left in the dark may induce flowering. The 1 hour on between dark cycle help destroy floral hormone, lack of light will not be able to destroy the hormone and will send your plants in bloom.

hope this helps!! ... i can hardly wait to try it makes me feel young again hahaha

05930.JPG

06138.JPG

07919.JPG

Things are looking good to me. 8 days flower.Yesterday Watered 2 gal of 3tsp bloom 1/4 tsp superthrive per gal. I mixed it in hurry and checked ph was like 6.9 I think if I would have waited more it would lower more. They grew it seemed bigger fans noticeably overnight.

The A's are leafy and many bud sites alot shadowed in the middle so popcorn so when I defoliate them I might just clean up extra branches if they dont look promiseing.
07417.JPG

The Bs (my allstar is B1:cheer:) are less leafed and letting light down not so much shading of sites
07721.JPG
06138.JPG

:oops:thats B1 main there here is B2n3
06921.JPG
07124.JPG

I probably should spray them again with neem. I dont see any sign of mites but the 3 A's had an attack of em in their first month of being cut. My last growhttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/frequently-asked-questions/179751-did-i-mutilate-these-mothers-too-much-b4-n-after-pics.html
The A strain had mites and the Bs were crowded in with very minimal effect from them like my A is weaker with pests But Noticeably better if grown through full. In that grow some B clones hermed sorta.I got mostly self A seeds and put A pollen on B to make a strain, Some day I hope to try them. I think it was a stress hopefully so I tried to eliminate light leaks and we will see this grow if my strains have herm genes rising out. :allgood:

plants are looking just great bro!

nice green colour and very healthy... great to see you using the glr light cycle too :cheesygrinsmiley: i havent had a chance to use it this time round but will def implement it next grow! and your youtube share of potshop made my morning :) loL your nodes are setting up really well too, should turn out to be some nice colas there! :cheesygrinsmiley:

keep up the good low budget work dude.. and nice diy upgrades with your light supports :thumb:

plants are looking just great bro!

nice green colour and very healthy... great to see you using the glr light cycle too :cheesygrinsmiley: i havent had a chance to use it this time round but will def implement it next grow! and your youtube share of potshop made my morning :) loL your nodes are setting up really well too, should turn out to be some nice colas there! :cheesygrinsmiley:

keep up the good low budget work dude.. and nice diy upgrades with your light supports :thumb:

Thanks man! that vid was funny for me as my preschooler goes around trying to sing the original (radio) song Thrift Store and then I saw that. I also like the meaning of it especially our president part;)

Its been a couple days and Im gonna try and tell whats going on since last show and tell.

2/4 I ended up watern only 2gal of 3tsp bloom 1/4tsp superthrive per gal

2/6 I changed mind on scratching in phos guano in soil to scratching in 4 Tbsp of soft rock phosphate in each 3 gal pot and raised the light about 2 inches They didnt seem to close to bulb the A's or B1 but the shadow line of the reflector was below the leaf level sum on the A's

2/7 added about an inch of my base soil as mulch and at lights out sprayed a quart of water with 1 tsp neem oil and 1 tsp dish soap over entire grow Im trying to figure when Ill stop the neem treatment as I have no evidence seen to my naked eye of mite damage currently this grow

2/8 watered 3 gals of 3 tsp bloom and some of my last of molasses I had per gal I had forgotten superthrive this time. I need to figure out if I should keep that up or not

Overall the plants are still looking good to me. I only notice some of the fan stems are reddish purple but the main stems are green. This is a diffency of P I think but small Ive had major purple red veins running stems last grows mostly at clone and early veg. All the bud tips look caught up in tight brachts now as the stretch is in the stems now it seems. They did some stretching making me raise light 2 times. After 2/8 water 2/9 morn I saw enough growth in height I raised the light again (making 2x). Another thing I noticed as the plants have grown and added leaf mass the humidity has raised some from averagin 30 to averaging 38 now. I will take pics and measurements and post later

Heres some pics of the A strain as young clones. They were cut to put like 2 nodes in the plug and scraped lightly in between and coated with root gel to bury the plug in solo with some mix and a gal zip lok was their dome with a skewer to support it
5752.JPG

then I let them free and misted more maybe?
07920.JPG

HERES THE B STRAIN AT THEIR YOUNGEST
daves_003.JPG

OOHHH looking rough :sorry: these had about 2 nodes buried and scraped and gelled but went straight into a wormcasting perlite mix with no dome. I had to spray ridiculousely throught day and this pic was after 9 days from cutting them and theres 5 here. I think I said I only cut 4 on this journaL
013454.JPG

One hit the compost bucket but they perked a little I remember not to long after pic mites fed on some leaves. The bigger one in the middle is B1 in grow now She has my mind thinking she will be top dog in grow

good stuff brother!

is one(or more) of your lovely ladies showing sum deficiency signs in the leaf tips?? or is it a little burn?? the bigger plant on the left(pic with your cuttings in their domes) looks a little dark- so COULD be burn?? just a guess tho! its hard to truly gauge sometimes from a photo especially when taken under an HID light or light off cycle etc.. can be hard to get a true idea of the plants coloration sumtimes.

looking good though dude- all the best with keeping them green :cheesygrinsmiley:

You could be right on both as that plant had been abused :shhh: It was a mother clone I cut July/12 and that pic was Nov/12 It was rootbound in a 1 gal pot There was never a set feed schedule just leftovers from flower waterings or plain.I had revived those 2 mothers from drought too many times. I noticed the effects of my neglect when I flowered them my last grow. The clones in those pics are my current grow 2 moms and 5 flowering and they had a rough start to a little.Im still adapting to my spaces and am realizeing I may be crowding plants, or vegging to big. Heres a pic of my current flower and veg with A Mom (L) and B Mom(R)
05541.JPG

008728.JPG

That mom pic is a couple weeks old and they were the smallest of all the sister clones the best went to flower. In the last 10 days both A 1,2 grew 3" taller B 1 grew 7" evening out with the A's 25" from pot rim and B2,3 grew 9" from 12" from rim to 21" The canopy is close to even now and its getting hard to spin them so Im arrangeing them to sit still now plucking fans in the way of nice sites on A2 I bent 3 branches down to open up the bush and fill space now that I not spinning em. Its like filling a rectangle area for her . B 1 has equal toppers nearly and looks nice but not at all what I had thought shed grow like as for all the B strain actually they bushed out and were never topped or nothing maybe thats a sign of vegging too long I need to remember.

I did get the GO Box and can run the feed schedule but missed all the veg schedule and the last water was their week 5 early bloom I feed 1oml 2tsp biothrive bloom 5ml 1tsp CaMg+ 2tsp Bio Root 2.5ml Bio Bud 1/2 tsp estimated pour and 1 tsp estimated pour of Bio Marine per gal 2 days ago. They drank all but maybe a pint and a half of 3 gals.There were no signs of burn and I might water againwith that feed one more time like tomorrow probably at a 3 day water instead of watering at 4 days like I have been. They are at 16 days flower now which I think on their schedule would be week 6 Early Bloom which is same feed just minus the Bio Root and stays the same up to week 9 on their schedule and for me is day 35 flower. They show the last week flowering no ferts and I will guess mine go for 8 weeks.
This is a every water fertilizer program I think which worries me a little on overfeeding. I dont no but I will go every water until I see problems maybe this will please my plants since every grow ends up different for me growing same strains.Eventually I might learn them but its now clones of clones of clones.:trance:

feeding schedule looks pretty tight and like you say i wouldnt worry too much UNLESS you start seeing signs of toxicity but at present they are looking quite happy :cheesygrinsmiley:
you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned growing to the size of the grow space you have.. but that also takes a little knowledge of your strain and how it grow and reacts to flowering cycles etc.. for e.g with the cindy hybrid i just grew last grow, when i turned to flowering cycle they took off and grew 5 foot in 3 weeks loL... so they got a LITTLE big and now i know i can turn them over to flowering sooner rather than later- especially considering the space i have albeit quite decent space for a smalltime grower like me. it is soo easy to become inundated with growth in a smaller grow space really quickly but at the end of the day we soldier on and do what we can with what we have :]
the ladies look great though @day 16 of flowering! and im looking forward to seeing the final result! :cheesygrinsmiley: :popcorn:

Heres a bunch of pics I pulled plants out to thin leaves and look at in regular lighting because the HPS was making some leaves look super light green or yellow and had me worried of maybe heat stress or a def. Im also trying to figure out taking better pictures and these dont have flash now!
019242.JPG

These all taken on day 18 of flower and after a watering of week 5 Early Bloom and thinning of leaves. Since I am getting worried of the 21 day defoliation I was planning I did a light one now instead. I sure can see alot more bud sites now looking in there, Im guessing stretch may be over I will pluck leaves in the way when I notice Things are looking good and sometimes that sign of an event about to come I hope for a heavy sticky one making up for last harvest/:phew:
A1 trunk and top
029136.JPG

014407.JPG

A2
027153.JPG

010625.JPG

B1
030128.JPG

0021173.JPG

and B2,3
017297.JPG

Things are kinda becoming steady now next water will be week 6 dose unless I make a tea just worm casting molasses maybe because this is the most nutrients Ive every given. I still worried on overdoing it even though its hard to burn with organics they say, Im sure I could:biglaugh: So I will keep eye after this 2nd feeding here for issues as things seem OK now. \

Anybody notice any thing Im not seeing?

Back
Top Bottom