Relaxed's Outdoor Medical Grow - 2013

Hi all, welcome again!:welcome: It's the time of year when the hummingbirds swoop, the birds sing, and the butterflies fly. This is my second outdoor legal, prop. 215, medical grow. Last year round, it turned out to give me a pretty wicked return on my investments, and cut down on the total cost I need to buy medicine. Taking a little initiative can be really beneficial sometimes. :):peace::Namaste:

What strain is it? Mixed batch of unknown sativas
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Over 50% sativa dominant
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Vegetative
If in Veg... For how long? A few days..
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Outdoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? There are three batches to experiment. Soil batch 1) 50/50 mix between Miracle Grow and the native topsoil which contains a clay-like consistency. Soil batch 2) Super Soil, 3) Pure regular Miracle grow
If soil... What size pot? 5-7 gallons
Size of light? The sun
Is it aircooled? Ocean air cooled
Temp of Room/cab? Controlled by nature ... between 50-80 degrees
RH of Room/cab? Controlled by nature
PH of media or res? pH is a little high, above 7.
Any Pests ? Yes, this will be a fight to the death against BUDWORMS (terrible pheno) (SNS-209 will be used)
How often are you watering? Rarely, when desperately needed, and signaled to by the plants
Type and strength of ferts used? Seaweed Magic for vegetative, depending on how vigorous they are will tell me how much veg nutes ( IF ANY ) they need. But for flower will definitely be employing Fox Farm's Extra Strength Tiger Bloom.

I've had 100% germination success so far, except for 1 little seedling that decided to COIL its root tap up into itself, and strangled itself to death before it could even pop up. I have no more than the legal limit of plants allowed in my county ( 6 mature or 12 immature ). I know from experience with these seeds that with a proper photoperiod I will get 50/50 male/female ratio. So I'f I'm lucky i'll end up throwing 6 in the trash, and 6 will be beautiful females. Unfortunately sex won't be able to be determined for quite awhile since my planting is a little early ( I got anxious )

First few days:
photo_13_52.JPG
photo_14_38.JPG
2ndoutdoormedgrow_001.jpg

I have a lot of other things planned for this summer, ordered a bunch of different exotic heirloom seeds from Burpee's seed catalogue. Those seeds take MUCH more skill to grow than a simple weed.
As you can see I put together a makeshift greenhouse with some of the white material that is used to keep plants/tender seedlings warm ( up to 20 C more than outside temperature ), as well as protection from view, The foundation of the tent has a triple layer of netting that I used for my indoor SCROG to harvest my male pollen, it seems to work perfect for a massive line of defense for any grey moth's that want to come lay their eggs on my "hopefully" beautiful colas in the future... Got to plan ahead!

:Namaste:

If this one is anything like the last one im looking forward to it!

Going to be doing LST outside?
Are you going to put any of the plants in the soil? I'm sure they would be HUGE with the massive veg time you will be giving them.

Thanks guys! Yes, I plan on using LST to the greatest possible degree as I did last time, but I won't be putting them into the actual ground because like you said, then I would be growing monstrous redwood trees and well, I think I'd like to keep my sense of privacy if you know what I mean. 5 foot plants by the time they are done is ideal.

In June I plan on planting another round of 12 to get a perpetual harvest going, but need to play it by ear. The weather isn't turning out to be so great for all the seedlings right now, I just need it to warm up a bit over the next week, but when it does I know I'll see some better growth rates.

Had to put some snail and slug bait out due to the fact I saw some munching of the first set of true leaves! Boy was I mad about that, that's the worse possible time.

The only REAL problem is going to be budworms, so if I don't have that problem this time around then I will be golden, there's nothing like harvesting primo meds only to find all of them infested with worms,shit, and mold. That is one thing NO grower wants to deal with, this goes for fruits and veggies too, but it's a killer when they steal an ounce of OG kush from you.

I'm subbed mate.

I'm wondering if there is anything you could do preemptively against those budworms. If they are going to be an issue later one, I'd bet they are already there in egg or juvenile form. Something as simple as flushing your planting holes with 5 gallons of boiling water could make a difference depending on how prevalent they are in the soil. I think I'd get some Diamacius Earth and liberally add to the mix. It won't hurt the plant in the least, but it would be certain death to all the creepy crawlies that encounter it. Plus it's natural and organic.

Cheers and the best of luck to you and the babies.

I'm subbed mate.

I'm wondering if there is anything you could do preemptively against those budworms. If they are going to be an issue later one, I'd bet they are already there in egg or juvenile form. Something as simple as flushing your planting holes with 5 gallons of boiling water could make a difference depending on how prevalent they are in the soil. I think I'd get some Diamacius Earth and liberally add to the mix. It won't hurt the plant in the least, but it would be certain death to all the creepy crawlies that encounter it. Plus it's natural and organic.

Cheers and the best of luck to you and the babies.

These specific worms I'm dealing with are the young of the European-high flyer (grey moth), and they tend to fly around at dusk and dawn, looking for fresh vegetation to lay their eggs so their young have fresh food to feed on. It only becomes a real problem mid to late flower due to the fact the dense colas provide a very nice hidden niche for the worms to continue to grow. In other words, they really only show up / lay their eggs during mid to late flower. What I am doing now to prevent a future problem are multiple things. For one, this time around I'm using a green-house type of tent that has a triple layer of netting between the inside, and the outside. Any moth trying to get into this is going to have to be pretty darn intuitive and persistent. In addition to the tent, LST will be employed vigorously. Plus, I will being using a systemic insecticide (SNS 209) to help ward off insects in general with the aromatic fumes of rosemary. It's going to help having a huge Rosemary bush right next to it, the moth hopefully will not even want to fly in that direction. To the contrary, these are not a type of worm that will be in the soil, these are a specialized type that is referred to as the "CORN-BORER". People who grow corn know what I'm talking about, the worms have the ability to DRILL into the inner-caverns of CORN, you know how hard corn is? Well they have NO PROBLEM ripping through an ounce of colas, they literally travel through the plant using the stems that they hallow out, and eat the cellulose as food.

So ever since last season, as I was sitting there harvesting my colas, picking out worms by the 50's and separating the mold/rotted/pooped nugs, I am doing everything in my power to NOT have to deal with all that extra work and lost product.

P.S. Glad to have all ya'll aboard :)

I live where every place you look is corn and bean fields I know all about the CORN BORE!!!!!!!! I did see a thing about using cedar oil working as a natural insecticide. This is all natural oil extract from a cedar tree so will not harm the environment safe to pets and children. I never used it but from what I hear works great. I plan on using it around my garden this year.

I see.

Where I live the corn worms can be bad, for corn. Haven't had the issue with medicine. I was thinking that those fat grubs eating the roots were the major concern.

That netting you have going looks great. Should keep the moths out. Do you plan one keeping them under netting till harvest?

I see.

Where I live the corn worms can be bad, for corn. Haven't had the issue with medicine. I was thinking that those fat grubs eating the roots were the major concern.

That netting you have going looks great. Should keep the moths out. Do you plan one keeping them under netting till harvest?

Thanks, yeah they'll be under the netting completely the whole time, it's the main defense against the worms, plus its the foundation for the white material.

I gonna have to follow this one R L:cheer: Im already wondering something on when you will know sex of your babies. I thought sunrise sunset right now would start them off showing or put a plant in flower if you had brought one out to the tent prevegged? The last frost date for me is early May, Im not able to grow like that outside but plan on putting clones places at the more end of may or even june to see if they survive and finish unattended .

I gonna have to follow this one R L:cheer: Im already wondering something on when you will know sex of your babies. I thought sunrise sunset right now would start them off showing or put a plant in flower if you had brought one out to the tent prevegged? The last frost date for me is early May, Im not able to grow like that outside but plan on putting clones places at the more end of may or even june to see if they survive and finish unattended .

Since I planted this early, I shouldn't know sex for ~2 months. But if I plant in June or July, I can know the sex within ~30 days. It all depends on whether it's diminishing or increasing hours of daylight.

Back in the saddle again, looking forward my friend.

Indeed mate!

Subbed and glad your trying to keep the bugs out.
That netting should do the trick.

Welcome mate! Thanks, I agree. This netting looks good.

And in case anyone was wondering about the light penetration of the white material, it actually penetrates it pretty damn good!

:peace:

A "small" update. The weather hasn't been ideal, it's been in the mid to high 60's mainly overcast for the past week, and finally getting some sun this weekend. They haven't grown a ton, but as least they are alive, and surviving in their stable environment. Once the the sun starts heatin up they will go crazy I predict, hoping to turn out atleast 5 females out of this big batch, also got a couple of hidden sprouts here and there, just in case. Ended up purchasing some "Hippie OG" from the club, it was top shelf stuff discounted down to 25$ an 8th because it had been pollenated by a hermie, turned out I ended up getting a top-canopy cola and got about 70~ seeds of viable OG genetics, it was about 1.5 grams of seeds lol. One of them sprouted so far, the seeds are smaller than I'm used to but they must be because of phenotype.

In about 2-3 weeks I'll start feeding some of the Magic SeaWeed, here are some pics:
IMG_15229.jpg
IMG_15239.jpg
IMG_15249.jpg

It's going slow now, but I'm just happy they are alive and established, it's very easy to overwater / underwater a seedling and kill it. Providing the perfect, stable, consistent environment for your seedlings is definitely an ideal situation.

Cheers all!

Im subbed man, im superr jealous you can grow outdoors lol someday I Hope I can... untill then I hope to drool over your Pics

Thanks, glad to have you aboard matey!:surf:

Hey Leester,
Good start to a new outdoor season. You outdoor box is cool mate, wish I had somewhere to set something like that up.

Whats in your super soil mix mate?

Back
Top Bottom