Fuzzy & the Hempy Bucket - Chrystal F1 Hybrid

Fuzzy Duck

Its been a while since i've last kept a journal which many months have passed & ol fuzzys been doing some thinking... & with the call to the dark side of growing aka hydro niggling at my side, i have moved on !

Yup my organic days may be up ? but over the next year i shall be dabbling with various forms of hydro mostly DIY & comparing yields with smoke/smoothness of organic vs hydro grows being the main aim of this grow :thumb:

So ye i intend to grow 2 girls organic style in 6.5 litre air pots with BioBizz nutrients & 2 girls in 12 litre hempy buckets 75/25 perlite & vermiculite mix with HESI nutrients all side by side:bravo:

What strain is it? Nirvana -Chrystal F1 Hybrid (feminized) yup first time growing fems... which i'm totally going against my old skool rule of regs all the way !

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Hybrid (unknown %) Nirvana Chrystal is a White Widow hybrid that has been re-back-crossed with Northern Light. Two world-famous marijuana strains!

Indoor or outdoor? Indoors.

Soil or Hydro? Both ! 2 girls will be grown in recycled Biobizz all mix with amendments of volcanic rock dust & bone meal, 2 other girls will be grown in hempy buckets 75% perlite 25% vermiculite.

What size pot? 6.5 litre air pots for organic grow & 12 litre buckets for hempy grow.

Size of light? 125w cfl 6500K for seed germination & early veg, 400w grolux dual spec HPS for flowering.

Is it aircooled? Er passive intake & 5" wolfnado fan for extraction with muffled ducting.

Temp of Room/cab?
On average 27c

RH of Room/cab? On average some where between 40% to 60%

PH of media or res? Organic soil mix aprox PH 6.8 & hempy bucket PH 5.8

How often are you watering? As & when needed at present !

Type and strength of ferts used?
Biobizz nutrients grow,bloom, fish mix, alg-a-mic, bio heaven for soil grow etc HESI nutrients starter pack (hydro) grow, bloom, root complex, super vit, P/K & some thing else !

Currently nearly 3 weeks old give or take a day or 2 !

Seeds germinated in jiffy pellets in T7 pots with a mix of 50% perlite 50% vermiculite... On average seeds germinated with in 2 to 4 days with 5 out of 5 success :love:

PICT0001_-_Copy.JPG
PICT000250.JPG

Sprouts where given 50% strength of HESI root complex after 1 week of germination aprox mainly micro nutrients to aid root growth & over the last week 25% strength of HESI grow has been applied to the feed mix also.

I suspect with in the next 48 hours i will pot up into 1 litre air pots for further root developement for a couple of weeks roughly whilst still using the 125w cfl 6500k for veg before potting up into 6.5l air pots & hempy buckets... i may give some veg time under the dual spec HPS also

As planned potting up went ahead today :thumb:

I was going to use air pots for the perlite/vermiculite mix but it kept on falling out the holes in the base of air pot !

PICT000646.JPG

Healthy white roots can just be seen in these pic's...

PICT000143.JPG
PICT000451.JPG

I have use standard 1 litre pots for the perlite/vermiculite mix.

PICT000251.JPG

A quick dip into a mild nutrient feed... favoured method of watering these small pots at the moment with present mix.

PICT000347.JPG

Sneak preview of the hempy :love:

PICT000552.JPG

3 other girls where placed in 1 litre air pots with soil/compost.

PICT000843.JPG
PICT000944.JPG
PICT001039.JPG

Looking at 2 to 3 weeks of veg with these pots aprox but i'll see how the girls grow before any change of plan.

I do have plans of keeping one of the soil grown feminized plants as mother plant as i would like to see how well fem clones work in the near future !

About 1 week after transplant aka potting up...

General growth is pretty good & reasonable even over soil vs inert growing medium but a slight difference has occurred around the internode growth of lateral branches !

Soil grow with organic nutrients has better formation for an unknown reason, nutrients used so far Biobizz fish mix & alg-a-mic.

PICT000348.JPG
PICT000252.JPG

Where as inert growing medium & hydro style nutrients is mildly behind, nutrients used HESI root complex & grow.

PICT000144.JPG
PICT000452.JPG

Pretty interesting i thought & i shall have to give this some thinking about over the next 48 hours !

I'm in too. Wonder which ones gonna have more character :)

i grabbed a chair and getting comfy so im along for the ride, as long as thats ok with you my friend,

Hello donpaul.p & welcome to the journal :thumb:

Well the big day arrived & potting up into final size pots almost went to plan !

Currently i do veg under 16/8 lighting regime & have done for awhile now with out any real noticeable effect apart from a mildly cheaper electric bill :thumb:

Due to potting up into larger pots i am unable to continue using my veg tent at present being of only 60cm by 60cm by 160cm... its a little bit hard to get 2 x 12 litre hempy buckets & 2 x 6.5 litre air pots in their...

So the current plan is to finish off vegging under the dual spectrum grolux bulb which supports a broader light spectrum with mildly better blue spectrum than a standard HPS at 2050k, current bulb size is 400w all crammed into a 90cm by 90cm by 180cm tent, with a few tweaks to accommodate the run to waste style of the hempy buckets.

I suspect i will continue to veg for another 3 weeks aprox before flowering depending on over all growth, as i have read that the current strain Chrystal may reach 36"/90cm in height if flipped to flowering at around 16"/40cm of height... this may well test the limits of height of my grow tent ?

Over the last week i have added HESI super vit to the nutrient feed & this has caused an average increase in height of the girls in perlite/vermiculite mix by an extra inch or so... but still a little behind on lateral branch formation at the internode area over the soil organic grown girls !

Still pretty much an unknown reason for why this is happening but might be related to mediums used & beneficial microganisms etc as the soil mix is reused & has amendments added over past grows, basically had time to mature... this being about the only thing i can of at present to explain the differnce of growth between soil organic vs hydro inert grow medium !

Anyway back onto todays updates :high-five:

Potting up into hempy buckets went as planned & filled to around the 10 litre mark with 30% vermiculite/70% perlite.

PICT000145.JPG
PICT000253.JPG

Hopefully the pic is good enought to see root ball after 2 weeks of potting up from T7 pots into 1 litre pots.

PICT000349.JPG

The end result.

PICT000453.JPG

Improvised run to waste system in action... basically after each watering you must achieve x % off run off to readdress PH/PPM balance of the mini res in the hempy bucket as this was my first watering of nutrients, i'm not particular bothered at present, current nutrient mix was 50% strength of required nutrients this included HESI grow, root complex & super vit.

PICT000553.JPG
PICT000647.JPG

The plan is to empty run to waste flowering trough after each watering in theory or every couple or so days... but i shall monitor humidity in the long run with method used.

Unfortunately the potting up off soil organic grown plants did not go to plan due to shortage of growing medium, i'll have to visit the hydro shop in the next 24 hours to sort this part of the phase out ASAP :thumb:

None the less here's a few pic's of girls to keep ya interested.

PICT000743.JPG
PICT000844.JPG

Due to current strain grown an odour problem has made it self known even at this stage of growth, which is rather pleasant to myself but not to others... security must prevail :thumb:

The use of odour blocks to eliminate niffs has been implemented.

PICT000945.JPG

I stuffed em in the end of the ducting... lets just say the house smells of the odour blocks & works a treat :cheer:

PICT001040.JPG

interesting to see you went with 16-8, ive always used 20-4 and 24-0 but this time round i went with 17-7, i got to admit the growth was a lot quicker with the strains i was growing, it letme go to flower a week or 2 sooner than normal so clearly the plants benefit from a dark period, at least thats what im finding with my plants, they tend to stay small and bushy under 24-0, so would need a longer veg to reach a good height before flipping to flower, my seedlings are under 20-4 at the minute but when i put them under the hid ill drop down to 17-7 for a few weeks

Subscribed - looking very good so far.

+reps for the journal.

interesting to see you went with 16-8, ive always used 20-4 and 24-0 but this time round i went with 17-7, i got to admit the growth was a lot quicker with the strains i was growing, it letme go to flower a week or 2 sooner than normal so clearly the plants benefit from a dark period, at least thats what im finding with my plants, they tend to stay small and bushy under 24-0, so would need a longer veg to reach a good height before flipping to flower, my seedlings are under 20-4 at the minute but when i put them under the hid ill drop down to 17-7 for a few weeks

I once used 24/0 but i was not impressed with the growth rate...

I'm pretty much in the belief that plants require some sleep to do hormone & plant type stuff :thumb:

But ol fuzzy is as cheap as chips & if i can get away with a few less hours use on bulbs with suitable results, i'm all the better off in my wallet in the long run.

In the past i used DLR diminshing light routine in flower... i'm not sure if i'll use it for this grow at present but see how i feel closer to the time.

Back
Top Bottom