A Low Budget Micro TLA Grow - With Added LED - Two Cream Caramel Photo Period

ajagunle

The end of my pantry is sealed with a false wall, including fan assisted intake, hiding a 30l NFT tank.

grow_room20.jpg

The Girls are housed in 3" Grodan cubes. Started in soil, 2 weeks before the garden was empty, using the Autumn sunshine, a case of more haste but less speed I think.

Tank4.jpg

The screen is 5" above the plants and after some very basic changes they now have 23" bud space between screen and safe distance to lights at their highest point. The removable screen is light weight steel with a 2" grid with enough room for at least 72 growing tops.

groom1.jpg

Temperature is controlled by changing the combinations of intake and extract, currently max. 78f min. 66f, passive intake and extract via Carbon Filter. Reservoir has a bubbler for O2 and heated to a constant 73f.

CO2 is provided by busy yeast producing alcohol from home grown Summer produce for enjoyment during the depths of Winter.

Rhubarb.jpg

Moving 2 weeks on, stems have been super cropped and any leaf with a visible stem has been removed.

Birds_Eye_view.jpg

The immediate noticeable difference between CFL and LED is the very short node spacing, causing 'overcrowding' of the growing secondary growing tips. Not a negative negative really. GLR may be contributing, as LED is drawing considerably less than CFL I may switch to 18/6 for no extra cost?

Due_for_UBT.jpg

The CFL supplementary lighting is for photos only, struggling with the white balance!

Jon has advised it is not too late for UBT :thanks: I will top the nearest one tomorrow, the other too when it goes without a hitch.

:hookah:

Re: A low budget Micro TLA Grow, with added LED. Two Cream Caramel photoperiod.

Hi Jon! A miniature version of what you were up to a couple of Journals ago!

With a room your size a couple of 5 gallon wine fermenters would be a good side line, ideal brewing environment!

looking good AJ, those a some little bushes for sure! I love your co2 idea too lol...reps for getting another journal started my friend I cant wait to see that screen full of frosty led nugs:)

Once I removed the screen the plants still looked like little bushes! But they are My little bushes!

Released.jpg

A thorough defoliation revealed 5 main growing stems on each plant, since bending the main tip the secondary's have thickened to equal the main stem.

CC_Post_Defol.jpg

Both main tops were cut through the growing tips. The inter-nodal spacing is insanely tight with LEDs and the stems appear thicker than I am used to. I will UBT the secondary branches on the next defoliation session, whenever they are ready.

Fim_11.jpg

I have forced the main spine of each plant as low as possible with sponges to encourage the lower branches to lengthen. I have switched to 16/8.

Sponges.jpg

I was made aware of a study in which cannabis plant growth versus lighting schedule was tested, it was determined that plants given 5.5 hours of darkness grew the most.

Any chance of finding a link?

There are so many 'new' approaches!

thank you:thumb:

I was made aware of a study in which cannabis plant growth versus lighting schedule was tested, it was determined that plants given 5.5 hours of darkness grew the most.

The Herbies sales pitch makes it sound just the ticket!

Sweet Cream Caramel Feminised Seeds Info

1st PRIZE INDOOR TIERRA "Copa de Oiartzun '07
1st PRIZE OUTDOOR "Copa Catalunya de Grows '07

A synthetic variety (S.V.) result of a three way cross-bred between our best indicas BlueBlack x Maple Leaf Indica x White Rhino. The synthetic varieties share with hybridised varieties an objective to obtain the vigour of a hybrid and to give homogeneity to its descendants.

Its taste is intense and sweet like caramel as is the indica strain with a hint of an earthy flavour that comes from the presence of the Blue genetic.

Ideal for indoor growing, it has typical indica structure, huge central buds and rich lateral branches. Usually favourite for customers who buy it for medical use, it has high levels of THC and enough CBD to induce a narcotic and physical "high".

:rollit:

It’s good to get started again mac, beginning to appreciate some of the added value in keeping a journal! The Therapy it provides is priceless, let alone the invaluable advice and encouragement!

Thank you aj for the invitation.........I wouldn't miss it! I'm just tickled silly to see you back on and doing a journal.........a warm welcome on your return!:circle-of-love:
:thanks:

I have searched for the ideal day length during vegetation and can find no consistent advice or current discussion on the subject apart from the few standards, so I shall change to 5.5 hours dark, it would replicate the day length of when the veg seedlings are their most vigorous outside, thank you good King John! :goodjob:I have been using GLR for some time, low electric bills was a higher priority than speed, now I am interested to see how much it has been slowing veg down.

I was using harvested rain water for the res. (doing my bit for the environment and it is still legal here) which resulted in large ph swings, caused, I think, by whatever organic stuff was in it. My mains water has a ph of 6.7 and TDS of 260, but no living things, it has given the easiest to control res. but the plants are on only very weak nutes. with little or no additives, to keep total TDS <700ppm so I have brought 10l of rainwater to the boil and then filtered (litre by litre) so they will get their first full strength feeding, without the necessary huge amounts of ph down to get tap water to 6.

Although ph down is said to have no other effect I think it is best avoided if able. The filtered and boiled rainwater had a ph of 7.2 and TDS 30ppm. Full strength nutes. and root additives gave 5.9 ph and TDS 720ppm, no ups or downs, bang on the nose.

I still have Fulvic to add to the res, (which, according to the manufacturer is; ‘as the name suggests, it is packed full of fulvic acid, which is scientifically proven to improve the way your plants use nutrients in order to boost the results you, get from your plants at every stage of their life cycle – rooting, growth and flowering’) I shall cut down on the veg. nutes. to make room on the TDS.

Starting the res. on 700ppm is still a little too high, TDS is going up about 50 every 24hrs rather than going down, the increased light hrs. may change this, as might the change in water for the nutes.

I have lowered the light to 18” from the screen replicating as GK is doing in his journal,:thumb: buying very cheap Chinese lights did allow me to get a toe on the ladder with new technology but lack of meaningful instructions was always going to be part of the calculated risk, although it might have certain advantages(?). Not sure what they all are yet!

Several changes in one go will invalidate any hard and fast conclusions as to what has done what, however, I am comfortable that they are all probable improvements

Please don’t let the amount of detail put you off hydro, more a reflection of my OCD than the effort involved!

Bit late I'm sorry AJ. Thanks for the invite, it's great you've got a new journal up and running, I'm really looking forward to following this one. Things are looking really good, those plants are incredibly bushy. The description sounds like it'll be nice stuff to smoke too.

It's great you've gone led, I'm sure it'll make a huge difference vs cfls, you'll certainly have much less heat and better growth / buds for the same or less power. Great work AJ!

Bit late I'm sorry Things are looking really good, those plants are incredibly bushy.
It's great you've gone led, I'm sure it'll make a huge difference vs cfls, you'll certainly have much less heat and better growth / buds for the same or less power. Great work AJ!

Welcome GK, not late at all! :welcome: Good to have your experience keeping a watchful eye!:thumb:

I am putting the ‘bushiness’ down to strain or LED, I have topped the main shoot on each and will top the secondaries as they grow long enough, maybe raising he light will encourage slightly increased node spacing?

LEDs are certainly my future with limited space, it’s the heat thing.

I have raised my light 27” above the screen (from 18”) following me catching-up on Jon’s journal. (With a little work I can make another 11” head room available) When defoliating I have come across 1 or 2 older leaves with dry crispy brown tips, they are not in the direct line with the fans so it may be caused by the nearness of the LEDs?

Autumn has just changed down a gear, there will be frost soon, now below 50 all day. I have turned off the CF and there is passive intake only, the 6” fan is also off, the bank of 3” fans provide the only air movement, max temps are down to 69f. I have left 3 30w blue cfls on for added warmth.

CC12_a.jpg

I topped both main stems a week ago, the new shoots are a bit too delicate for me to rummage and separate them, but the first secondary's have also been topped today, (circled). Looking at the photo and remembering a previous ‘I wish I had..’ time to start to clean out the underskirts stuff and remove the shorter secondary's on the underside of the main stem.

CC1_topped.jpg

The sponge is wedged a bit farther up the bare stem to create as much room between the screen and the plant top as possible. The sponge needs replacing with something that blocks less light.

:helpsmilie:

I have concentrated on CC1, the nearest plant, my balance is unstable and I will work on the more awkward to reach CC2 each time I remove the screen to defoliate.

I can detect a number of secondary's that will need topping (dots) also the first secondary that I have topped (T) and the cluster at the top of the main shoot, (Circled)

CC1_a.jpg

I have removed as much leaf stem as I can reach and 3 sizable tertiary shoots, I have also 'rubbed-off' as much 'fluff' at the base of the stems as I can.

The tape is extended to 3" for scale, the plant tip is held down to be less than 4" high.

A repurposed milk bottle acting as a gutter, with gravity, will deliver CO2 to the back of the CPU fans to throw over the leaves.(?)
CO2 from fresh Apple juice.

Gutter_a.jpg

Topped the shoot getting close to the screen edge (circle).

Gutter.jpg

I need to get some easy to fit ‘tags’ or flags to mark each branch as I top them.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom