First Grow - 400W MH/HPS - Critical Kush & Dream Queen - Scrog

Edward Scissorhash

This is my first grow. My only reason for sharing isn't to really show my grow off, but I want to share my grow to get positive/negative feedback. Please feel free to let me know if there's anything I could do better, or call me out if I'm doing something wrong please! I did my reading and feel like I know a lot, but i still got my nervous first time grow feel going and I'm always wondering how my progress is going. Like if my plants are behind and smaller than normal, or if they look healthy and vigorous and are big for their age etc. thanks

My specs:
I plan on growing 6 critical kush scrog and filling a room, and with the dream queens i plan on just veggin for a weekish and basically SOGing 6 just for a little extra yield because im stopping growing after these for a couple months due to extreme cold conditions where I live and my grow rooms are in their own little building non insulated(yet).

Instead of a single cola SOG plant, im going to try an experiment i guess lol, I'm going to top each dream queen right before flower removing the 3rd set of leaves. leaving me with only 4 branch locations and a 4 way top. so each plant would have 4 main colas and I still wouldn't have to do any LST or other training.
24 bud colas instead of 6 just sounds better even though i know the 6 single buds/cola would be bigger, but i feel like 24 would outweigh 6.

I have two 3.5 ft x 4 ft rooms.
6 dream queen bagseed from hermie females in one room (from what i understand hermies make female only seeds right? hopefully lmao)
6 feminized barneys farm critical kush 100% indica in the other room.

my reflectors are big and fill each room horizontally.
400 watt cheap cool white metal halides
400 watt hps digilux hps bulbs (25% more blue spectrum than typical hps)

lighting is 24 hours on 0 off during veg.
using reverse osmosis water supplemented with epsom salt, and molasses
using just fox farm grow big and fox farm tiger bloom for liquid fertilizers.

my soil is half happy frog and half fox farm ocean forest. In the mix i added 15 lbs worm castings (1-0-0), blood meal (12-0-0), bone meal (4-12-0 Ca), epsom salt(MgS), and dolomite lime(MgCa)

white panda film for reflective material.

bent the plants early and topped 5 of 6 critical kush early to promote branching early. my critical kush is currently 25 days old with about 8-12 nice tops starting on each plant. I "think" i am done topping and done bending the whole plant with typical LST. I will though however plant on just bending down/tieing down the tallest branches lower than the others to keep and even canopy.

My dream queens are 4 days old. I plan to top them in a couple days then a couple days after start their 2 month flowering somewhat SOG style.
With my Critical Kush I plan to start flowering the day I feel like my 6 plants are big enough to fill my 3.5 x 4 ft room.

i just switched my 6 critical kush from my MH to HPS but still 24 hours on and vegging. I just want to see if the red light spectrum alone with give me some vertical growth now, which I want, because my internodal spacing is super tight im guessing due to 3 factors. They are kush... They are 100% indica and the MH color spectrum it had.

I will update this thread with new pics of both rooms/strains.

day_3_all.jpg
day_7_all.jpg
day_14_all.jpg
day_18_all.jpg
day_22_all.jpg
day_25_all.jpg
day_25_p2.jpg

re: First Grow 400w mh/hps Critical Kush and Dream Queen Scrog

You seem to have potted your girls quite low in their pots, this can cause a few problems when they are young as the buckets will create their own mini micro climate inside, it will act like a little oven keeping temps right up there. So keep real good air movement going. All else seems fine. I'm sure like I say others on here with more experience with the style of grow your doing, will be along shortly. Best of growing to you

I agree that they have been potted a bit low,and wen they get a bit bigger n the heat picks up yamans right it's gonna have it's own little climate going round the stem,u had similar problemon my last grow,the heat built up has the weather outside was hot and I had insufficient cooling at the time and I was getting mushrooms nearly every other day abd I wasn't happy with them shareing the pot:/ although ice been told since it proves you have a good growing media..sorry to go on..:) there looking very healthy at minute but ya seem to be doing everything to early? Or is that just me?I veg between 5-8 weeks,I would never just veg a week:/ unless it was Northern lights#5xhaze,n ya don't really have to veg at all with this strain..anyway all looks good although the pots look awfully dry:/ BF:)

im subbed looking good u had some great comments above^ plz take them into consideration other then that looking great keep up the great work :) :joint:

Looking good so far. What kind of drainage do you have in your buckets/pots ? Gotta have some holes to keep from waterlogging the
bottom few inches of the pot. I say this from experience. Peace

actually the spot that looks wet in the center isnt from aiming my water there, there is just a little extra peat moss in the center from the top of when i had them in cups, and from im learning peat moss seems to be a super water/moister retainer. Also, regarding my plants being too low in the buckets, I agree but i didn't know there were any problems to it. I estimated how much dirt i would need for the 6 buckets and just came a little shy. My next grow I know exactly how much dirt to buy and mix. Thanks for the info about the plant making its own little environment and different temps within the bucket, I wasn't aware of this.

I drilled about 5 holes on each bottom of the buckets. Also I have saucers underneath the buckets to catch runoff. I tested my runoff pH and it is 6.6. My watering nutrient solution is a little acidic without being adjusted so I think next time I check my runoff it should be exactly where I want it at about 6.5-6.2

Is 6.2 - 6.5 a good target pH range? anyone know?

I drilled about 5 holes on each bottom of the buckets. Also I have saucers underneath the buckets to catch runoff. I tested my runoff pH and it is 6.6. My watering nutrient solution is a little acidic without being adjusted so I think next time I check my runoff it should be exactly where I want it at about 6.5-6.2

Is 6.2 - 6.5 a good target pH range? anyone know?
from what ive read and saw 5.0 to 6.0 even 6.5 so im sure that its close enough.im also a 1st time grower but ive done tons of research and I still learning new things!don't we all just love growing:cheer:

Re: First Grow 400w mh/hps Critical Kush and Dream Queen Scrog

day_1111.jpg

day_342.jpg

the critical kush seems to be growing really fast now. Just topped the critical on day 33 again on the tallest colas then bent them a little LST outwards allowing some light to get to lower branch shoot locations and i took a few leaves off that were gettin no light on the bottom or no matter what in the way of good bud sites. So far I think keeping the 6 plants even and bushy across the whole room should be pretty easy especially once i get my screen up here in a couple weeks(ish)

my crack is a little yellow on them, i think i might have used a touch too much liquid nutes. Gonna use very diluted nutes next watering to try to recover them faster.

added a picture of each of my grow rooms. made a scrog screen from pvc twine like string and i ran out of that so i finished it with some ribbon. made the squares in the screen 2 inch. ive been using twist ties to attach the tallest branches to the lip of the bucket to bush my rooms in, did a couple tops and defoliation to expose good bud shoots and to slow down growth of some shoots. pretty sure i found my first official preflower as well on one of my kush in 24/0 lighting. my green cracks are still on 12/12 with no preflower yet but probably in a couple days to a week im thinking. im using only hps with full spectrum but more red for both my grows until they are finished now. Im done with MH. I want the red spectrum for the end of my kush veg to help me make them fill the room faster so i can start letting them grow upwards! lol.

I think my plants are starting to look nice. How do they look for 39 days?
Also, how does my height on my screen look?
thanks

also, ignore my temp in the 2nd pic lol. i had the hygrometer out of the room for a minute lol. my room usually about 70-78.
if it gets colder im goin to add a heater for the end of the grow.

room_2_setup.jpg
day_159.jpg
room_1_setup.jpg
day_39_-_under.jpg
day_39_-_over.jpg

I uploaded a picture of my CO2 mechanism. I make wine so I'm aware that fermentation gives off CO2 and had some extra high tolerance yeast laying around.. but nonetheless I used an existing setup I seen on here with a tube i seen running from 1 bottle with yeast and sugar water into another bottle that bubbles.

I just modified that and wanted much more CO2 output, so I went with four 2 liters per room. I might take the tubes off though and just let each bottle release its CO2 instead of having them in a series system. I don't like the idea of the design I found that makes bubbles because to make a bubble is water resisting. I feel 99% sure with my science skills that there would be more CO2 release with no tubes or bubbler container.

my plants are about 2-3 inches from my screen. I am finally for the first time in veg letting them grow upwards without any twist tie training, topping, defoliation, or tucking. I feel like I have enough tops and bushyness now to fill the room, especially once they grow upwards a few inches and reach the screen by then, it should be 80-90% filled up im hoping. Then I am switching to bud. So I am thinking about a week here, equaling 50 days of veg if all goes well. I'm so ready to see these flowers. Hopefully my first grow ever turns out well :riskybusiness:

CO29.jpg
day_43_screen.jpg
day_432.jpg
day_199.jpg

looks good-one suggestion,,move,cover,or paint those co2 bottles,,the light kills the yeast ---I painted mine solid black and I only have to add sugar every 3 weeks,they just keep on bubbling

edit-I use champagne yeast,from my brew store

Back
Top Bottom