TheCapn's - Not So Simple - Aeroponics

TheCapn

Welcome to TheCapn's new journal. In this journal I'll be documenting my new aeroponics growing chamber.

If you haven't read any of my stuff, check my signature. I've written several articles for 420Mag; everything from how to clone, to how to accelerate vegetative growth. People who know me, will tell you I've graduated to a simple, yet effective growing method. I grow a couple 1lb yielding plants at a time - SCROG - 600W per plant - top feed, grodan grow cubes, aka, croutons. Here are a couple snapshots:

I enjoy sharing my techniques with my readers.
You won't see me use confusing stoner slang like "bennies, nutes, and flip". I write clearly so both beginners and advanced growers can understand.

People ask me how I get such big yields in plan 'ole rockwool. Nothing I do is a secret or unheard of. I've only built on what I've seen others do. I focus on simplicity, and the basics of growing (air, nutrients, and light). Writing these articles is my way of giving back to the community, for everything I've learned from these forums in the last couple years. If you're interested in my favorite growing method (from the pictures above), check out my SIMPLE HYDROPONICS thread here.

There will be no "Capn Style" in this journal, and this grow won't be like you've seen me do before. What's the point in showing you what you've already seen? I'll still be focusing on a single large plant, however, I'm stepping way out of my comfort zone with all new methods. I'm going to attempt something I have never seen anyone do before; My goal is to grow a single, large plant in a 4 x 5 space with 900watts, in a low pressure aeroponic chamber, with a final yield goal of 1.5 pounds. Yep, I said 24oz, 4 oz more than my previous record. Here are a few highlights you'll see in this grow:

* Time lapse photos to demonstrate aeroponic growth rates, (we will compare to my previous method).

* An aeroponic grow chamber like you've never seen before, designed to take a single plant, from clone to maturity. Including enough information for you to build your own, under $100.

* Semi Vertical lighting, 900 watts.

* NO SCROG. I'll be using a unique branch spacing method I've been working on.

* A new strain with a lot of hype behind it. Sorry, I will not be announcing the strain until the end of the grow.

* I'll be focusing on the aero grow chamber, but you will also get to see my grow space design, and everything else I'm doing in the mini grow operation.

* All the basics: Training (LST), topping, bending, cloning, nutrient recipe, beneficial bacteria, light placement,

AOanigif.gif

This grow is certainly do-able for many of you to replicate in your own home. But it won't be for the faint at heart either. It requires a Chiller, 24/7 monitoring of PH, EC, and Temperature, and a whole lot of experience. I'll tell you how, when, and most importantly, WHY I'm doing what I'm doing.

This will be a ~3-4 month journal. But don't worry, I'm not going to bore you with pictures of clones or seedlings. You've seen 100 of those already. We will start with a plant, which started from clone. This plant has been topped for the first time recently, and is soon to get into rapid growth. It was put into the aeroponics grow chamber today.

Here is a preview of the (low pressure) aero chamber; I will get in to the complete, design of it tomorrow.

And here is our soon to be famous strain.

Anyone is welcome to ask questions or provide constructive comments, especially those with aeroponics experience. For questions not related to this journal, please PM me.

Thanks for watching,

The Capn

Re: TheCapn's "not so simple" AEROPONICS

hi mate

ive seen this done before with the system i showed u and if done correctly u could surpass 24oz, thats not an unrealistic figure at all. U have the chiller so water temps be good, im just interested how u will deliver the nutes to the rootzone. My work partner used the spray nozzles and although the roots grew around them they still worked really well. Required some maintenance but results were great. He actually uses it for mothers now. I'll see if he will let me take a pic and show u.

What base nutes and additives are u going with?

Before we get into the build, let's discuss aeroponics for a bit.

In preparation for building my next grow machine, I've been researching for 3 months. High pressure / low pressure aeroponics is widely argued over, but I've decided to go with low pressure aero. Hard core aero guys will say, "TAG" (true aeroponics growing) is the only way to go, and "LP" (low pressure) aeroponics growing is crap.

Let's take a look at some equipment you need for High pressure aero:

To produce this type of mist:

I'm not interested in high pressure aero for a few reasons.

1. Spending $250 on a high pressure diaphragm water pump + plus another $200 in misc fittings, doesn't seem like a good use of my $. I'd rather spend that on an a new TV for the living room.

2. The root ball that high pressure aeroponics creates, is... hairy. The ultra fine mist makes nutrients more available to the roots, and roots grow very fine hairs. The root ball gets really dense. Eventually, the mist can't penetrate the root ball any longer. Dead spots develop, and you've got a dying root ball on your hands. This is why we see most people only growing 2-4oz plants with aero.

3. I like to experiment, but I'm a "keep it simple" kind of guy. If my $22 water pump dies, I replace it with another pump I have laying around. If my $200 diaphragm pump dies, I can't replace it so easily. I don't want all this crap in my grow room. If something can go wrong, it will.

Now, let's take a look at the equipment you'll need for low pressure. This is a pretty simple setup designed for cloning. I'll get a little more technical than this, but you get the point.

mate u are spot on about the dead spots on high pressure aero. and if the mist penetrated deep it would be spot on. u start to see probs half way through flower from my experience because of it and it just gives u a head ache. U get just as good root zone with low pressure but the heavier water seems to penetrate better than the mist. my grow partner is crazy on aero but i'll stick with dwc as less to go wrong. eager to see how u get on mate.

mate u are spot on about the dead spots on high pressure aero. and if the mist penetrated deep it would be spot on. u start to see probs half way through flower from my experience because of it and it just gives u a head ache. U get just as good root zone with low pressure but the heavier water seems to penetrate better than the mist. my grow partner is crazy on aero but i'll stick with dwc as less to go wrong. eager to see how u get on mate.

Agreed, and my thoughts exactly. We aren't growing lettuce here ;-)

Glad to have you, vik bid, 526 and more, aboard the ship.

>>>if done correctly u could surpass 24oz

Thanks for the words of encouragement, cultivater. I hope you're correct but I've yet to see anyone do it. I think I have a good shot and with some help from you and others I hope to get there. As you've probably figured out, it's about the challenge ;-)

In the next post we will look at the gut of the grow machine.

Let's build the aeroponics grow chamber with these goals in mind:

1. Keep it as simple as possible - less to go wrong - no leaks

2. Don't spend over $100

3. Devise a mechanism to help sprayers not get clogged

4. Roots should not be submersed

5. Roots should not have ANY dead spots within the root mass

6. Enough room for roots for a massive, 6' tall plant

7. Single water pump for chiller and sprayer action

8. System should be self sustaining for at least 3-4 days

9. Self contained system (no sumps or separate reservoirs taking up space), except chiller

10. Easy to maintain, easy water changes, pump replaceable if needed

Here's our final product:

Let's see how we got there. First we need TWO 27 gal totes. One will serve as the reservoir, and one serves as the root chamber.

In the bottom tote (our sump / reservoir) we install a water level marker. No other modifications are needed. Then we throw down a couple 7" netpots to act as a spacer. The higher the netpot, the more water the sump can hold. Mine holds 8-10 gallons. In the top tote, we need two holes. One for water in, one for a drain. For the input, I used a 3/4 threaded drain fitting, and used some PVC fittings to mount the 386GPH water pump to it. Later, I can lift the entire top chamber out of the sump, should I need to replace the pump.

I used a 3/4" Ebb and flow drain fitting for the drain. It was not fast enough. I ended up using TWO 3/4 bulk head fittings. You can find them at aquarium supply places.

The top tote sits inside the other, and the water level will rides right under the bottom of the top tote.

Here you can barely see the drain fitting. I cut a hole in the bottom of a 4" net pot, and then put the blukhead thru it, for the drain. I'll put a sponge in the netpot, to catch any debris and help keep gunk out of the pump and ez-clone sprayers. After I took this picture, I installed one more bulkhead fitting and net pot, for better draining. This way, no water pools in the top chamber.

I built a triple layer run of sprayers. One at the top, spraying toward the roots, one 7" off the bottom, and one directly under the main root mass. I don't see how I will have any dead spots. Even when the square under the plant gets englufed in roots, it will still be irrigating the inside of the root ball.

I installed two 3/4 drain fittings in the side of the top container. The water gets pumped thru the fitting and OUT of the chamber, to the chiller, and then comes back again. This design allows us to get by with ONE water pump, running 24/7.

Dimensions, showing how the side sprayers are lifted off the bottom, so they won't get covered by roots.

The roots will be showered in nutrients, yet be surrounded in oxygen. When I put my hand in, I can't feel any spray coming from a certain direction. I simply feel my hand get wet instantly.

And here she is, in action. I don't have my chiller hooked up yet. With my "poor man's chiller", I'm able to keep the water under 70. I'll get the real chiller hooked up soon... it's plumbed into my flower room right now.

man,the thoughts of 24 oz's from one plant?? id be as giggly as a schoolgirl

Cap'n, do you have a certain paint for the lids?? I paint my yellow lids black, then white, but I also notice that it seems to wear off.

man,the thoughts of 24 oz's from one plant?? id be as giggly as a schoolgirl

Cap'n, do you have a certain paint for the lids?? I paint my yellow lids black, then white, but I also notice that it seems to wear off.

I have a feeling I'll either A) Have no problem reaching 24oz, or B) Epic fail. Time will tell.

Good question though. I use the truck bed liner for the black paint. It seems to stick better. The yellow lid comes from the factory very slick, maybe it's a mold release lubricant. It helps to scrub it with a scrub brush and some rubbing alcohol first. Don't get it in your eyes.

I think you need 1 more rail of sprayers. :thumb:

>>What strain is it?
>>Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Can't say yet, but it's about 50% indica / 50% sativa

>>Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
>>If in Veg... For how long?
This plant officially starts it's veg cycle today. To reach my goal, flower will start late December.

>>If in Flower stage... For how long?
65-ish days

>>Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor

>>Soil or Hydro?
Low Pressure Aeroponics

>>Size of light?
One 600W, and another shared 600W, so 900W total

>>Is it aircooled?
Yes

>>Temp of Room
78F

>>RH of Room/cab?
60%

>>PH of media or reservoir?
5.7 to 5.8

>>How often are you irrigating?
24/7 spray

>>Type and strength of ferts used?
General Hydroponics

>>Sterile, or beneficial bacteria?
beneficial bacteria, aquashield, Orca

I think you need 1 more rail of sprayers. :thumb:

Ha. Yeah, it's a bit overkill, but I fully expect a few sprayers to get clogged along the way (I will be able to reach most of them). I also expect a massive root ball, so these are my efforts to keep water flowing thru the mass.

Thanks for joining.

That first pic of a pump and most halo is the exact same pump and halo I'm building for a aero cloner,I'm also building a ebb N flow for an attempt at 100% organic hydro with the sns nutes,it says it's organic and good for hydro,I plan to use the t &j soil life & activator yes (the only yes that can go anaerobic and still be used) so a fully live organic hydro, pray for me every other attempt I have done with hydro =epic fail, well my 1St gen aero cloner worked well, I'm loving this thread capn I'm tuned in hard as I'm in a build too,

u shouldnt need an extra rail, not for 1 plant. the set up ive seen used only 1 rail with 4 sprayers and it runs great. but an extra rail would give even more surface area of spray and safety net of sprayer cloggage.

I was just being sarcastic. It looks to me like he'll have the entire root zone covered. However, I also think the roots will end up entirely covering the framework and sprayers. I had 1 plant last harvest that entirely filled the 5 gal bucket it was in underneath the 6" netpot. Should have taken a pic but it was basically the shape of the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom