SweetLeef's 1st Ever Grow - Auto's & Photo's - TGA SuperSoil 2013-14

SweetLeef

Hello all,

This will be my first ever grow. I say this because I haven't started growing yet. I am 5 days away from ordering my setup, then I will have to wait, patiently of course :Namaste:, for everything to arrive. Then it's go time! I decided to start this grow journal before I started growing, 1. because I figured it wouldn't hurt to work everything out on "paper" in this forum so I could get some input and ideas. and 2. because I have nowhere else to focus my energy until I can put it into the setup and growing of my babies.

A little background......
A couple of months ago I decided I would start growing. I have always been a pretty heavy consumer of weed and thought it would be kinda cool and probably much cheaper to grow my own, but never got much further than that in the thought process. Recently I have been reading more and more articles and watching more documentaries about the benefits. of medical marijuana and I have come to realize that this plant iis F'ing amazing! Not in just the ways it has helped me, but n the way is has REALLY helped people who REALLY need help. My sister is someone who really needs help, help I believe this pant can provide. So that is the catalyst for me deciding to grow weed. Also, I am SO stoked to stop spending so much damn money on pot. Anyway,

The Plan..............
So, I have been ghosting this, and a couple other forums, for the last two months. Every night. Staying up way too late reading everything I can possibly read. I received some good information from some of the other forums, but most of/the best/answers that seems the most credible, came from 420. I have read through several journals and ever re-read one or two. I almost immediately fell in love with the ebb&flow buckets that The Capn and African Grower are doing. Simplicity, ease, concision! Pretty cool stuff. As I began feverishly pricing everything out, I realized with my other financial obligations I wouldn't be able to start this project for quite some time (late January). I was talking to a buddy of mine who has been growing for a very long time, and he pointed out that if I used his method it would be a much cheaper way to start and then after the first harvest I could upgrade to the hydro. I was on board immediately.

So my plan:
I am getting a 4x4 grow tent. The non-toxic Mylar blah blah tent with the vent holes and places to hang lights.
I am either going to buy an inline fan/carbon filter combo, or a buddy of mine my have a filter and then I'll just need to buy a fan. Hydrometer, timers, powerstrip, oscillating fan...What else....

The buddy who convinced me to go soil is donating a 1,000W MH/HPS light. I'm slightly nervous it will be overkill in a small area, but I have read several grown that seem to go well with that size light in that sized room.
The medium will be TGA Supersoil. There should be no need to add nutrients at any point. Supersoil and water is the way my friend runs. He has got a pretty rad, sizeable setup, and he's been doing it for a long time, so I trust him.

Another friend of mine is going to give me a shit-ton of Cookies seeds, and the buddy who is donating the light is going to hook me up with cookies clones and maybe some cheese, not totally sure.
I'm in Oregon, it's cold, and worse (from what I'm told,) wet!. I'm told I will need a dehumidifier. I really don't want to buy one. I don't want to have another thing to plug in and use electricity, I don't want another thing to take care of, and I don't want something I'm going to eventually have to replace at considerable cost. So, I'm going to go ghetto/DIY and drill some holes in a 5gallon bucket, fill it with charcoal briquettes. If I need to do a couple buckets I will. I am going to start with a passive intake, and when the plants smell starts to sneak out of the passive vent, I will add an intake fan, and to cut down on the outside moisture from being forced in via the fan, I am going to try an place a coffee can filled with briquettes to capture the moisture on it's way in. Don't know if it'll work, but seems like it's worth a shot considering the price difference between coffee, a 5gal bucket, briquettes V.S. a dehumidifier. Just sayin'

As well as the clones and/or seeds my friends bless me with, I have some autoflowers on the way from one of the lovely sponsors of this forum, the Single Seed Centre. I ordered a 3pk of Kush Van Stitch, 1x narcotic kush, 1x Crystal ^#$%, and the two free seeds will be a Northern Light Automatic and a feminized White Widow.
As a noob there is a severe chance I am biting off more than I can chew, but I intend to start vegging 2 or 3 of the autos at the same time as I start vegging the photos.

My goal is get a consistent supply of medicine to my sister asap. I know that I am about to take on quite a bit for a first time grower, several plants/several strains, probably means many problems. However, I am confident that the time I have spent reading thread after thread journal after journal. Combine with the crazy amount of knowledge and experience on this forum, and a couple friends outside of the interwebs, that I will not only complete this grow and journal, but that it will be a success.

Tomorrow, I will make ready an old fish tank to use as a propagation room. It will live in the bottom of my tent. I will devise some way to cover the glass so that it is light fast when seeds are germination, yet easy to remove/re-use once the beans turn into stalks.

That is all I have for now. Wow, looking back on it, it's a pretty large first post considering I haven't started growing anything yet. Thank you in advance for any insight, advice, criticism, questions you may have.

:thanks:
SweetLeef

Re: SweetLeef's 1st ever grow. Auto's and Photo's, TGA SuperSoil 2013-14

That's one of the best intro's I've read. Looking forward to the start of your journey, if you need any help just ask!
When you are ready to upload pics there is a link at the bottom of my signature with the how-to's.
Good luck and blessings to you for your caring and wanting to help others suffering!:circle-of-love:

First off I am blessed. A friend of mine told me the other day he had some pots n stuff to help me get started with my grow as well as a shit-ton of Girls Scout Cookie seeds. When I went to his house yesterday he had found a 5x5 Secret Jardins grow tent he'd forgotten about that he just gave to me. I'm blown away. I feel like I just won the lottery being given a tent that is larger than the tent I was going to purchase for myself. It needs some good lovin courtesy of H2O2 and some elbow grease courtesy of yours truly, and she'll be good as new!!

He also sent me home with 6 5gallon smart pots and 6 1 gallon nursery pots. As well as a 6"x16" Phresh filter. Payday is Wednesday I will be ordering an inline fan, an oscillating fan, timers, ducting, hydrometer/thermometer online. Making a run out to the hydro shop to pick up a bag of the TGA Supersoil.

I have been away the last couple of days busy with work...But there is something else cool going on I didn't mention before. A couple of weeks ago I found a seed in my bag. I haven't seen a seed in a bag for a few years. Since I knew I was going to undertake this journey anyway I decided what the hell? and I threw the little guy in a small pot in some general purpose potting soil. Almost immediately, the cat knocked over the new pot I just placed in the windowsill. The seed didn't come out but when a little more than a week had gone by and I hadn't broken the surface yet, I got worried and like a jerk dug around in the pot looking for the seed, which I did not find. 2 days later I'm in the kitchen, I almost missed it, but just as I was turning away from the window it caught the corner of my eye.
Day120.jpg
I was so excited that it was popping out of the ground! Went to work and when I got home it had grown (stretched) about 3/4." By the next after noon it as almost 2" tall.
day215.jpg
That Oregon sun in November. Plus it's on the cold side in my kitchen, especially in the windowsill. Poor little thing. I cleaned out an old 30gallon fish tank and made it into my propagation chamber. Put her(hopefully) in the tank and the response was almost instant. within an hour she was standing straight as an arrow and the leaves were spreading. Now the leaves were getting bigger it was starting to bend under the weight. I decided the best course of action was to transplant. I was nervous, from the research I've been doing I knew there would be no root structure, just a single long root. I was worried about the dirt all coming apart and tearing the root, but I knew it must be done. I went for it. It wasn't what you would necessarily call "graceful" but for my first transplant and it being so young I feel like I did alright.
day514.jpg
We'll see. Although it has been a little over 12 hours since the transplant and she is already looking much better. Leaves are more open then I have seen them you can see the second set of serrated leaves starting. Color is nice and green, stem is almost perfectly straight. Half of the plant is large than the other half 1 round leaf and 1 serrated leaf.

After transplanting, I set to work on the house readying the area for my tent. Had to reconfigure some things as the gifted tent is comes with 9 more sq. ft. then I expected to have. I see this as a very good problem, though.

Today I am took the tent to a buddies house and gave it the good hard deep clean it was desperately in need of. It's home now drying in my living room.

Also today, the seeds I ordered arrived today. It's so cool you can just order seeds from Europe and inn less than a week they are at your door. I think when I am done with the update I will go put a couple seeds in dirt and start up my autos. I should have the tent fully operational by the end of this week.

In closing I would like too say that now things are almost up and running I will do my best to update more often so they are not so long. Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for any advise, comments or questions you may have for me. Here is a picture of the little baby, roughly 24hours post transplant.
Day6_0.jpg
Day6_1.jpg
. Looks pretty happy to me.

SweetLeef

Good morning all! I hope you are all staying warm around all those frosty nuggs!

You're doing great sweetleaf! Lovely informative update! She does look happy there. :thumb:

Thanks Canna! +Reps

Stoked! Today is shopping day! I woke up too early and am waiting for the store to open, ugh!:drool: I am going to the hydro store where I will pick up some TGA Supersoil, rockwool grow cubes for the cuttings I'll be getting from my buddy and future cuttings as well. Some Guardian Angel for the cuttings (ala Cultivator). I'm going to see if the hydro store can beat the interwebs price for an inline fan, otherwise I'll order that up after the shop. A few other odds and ends. Once I have the fan in hand, I can set up the big light and get my first little baby under the HID and into the 18/6 light cycle. It's still at 24 under the aquarium bulb. I think I'll pick up a bulb with a better spectrum for the tank as well. Once I've got everything setup, I will have a much more concise explanation of my set up.

The little seedling, which I believe to be Cookies, will referred to as Minty. Anyway, Minty is doing really well. The stem still seems to be stretching a little, but the seriated leaves(which are not the "true leaves" but look like the center blade of a weed leaf? do these have a name?) are sitting almost right on top of the round leaves(These are the cotyledon, right?) which I'm not sure if that means anything or not. I have seen pictures of stretched plants where the round leaves and the seriated leaves seems to be miles apart. Either way, hopefully a better spectrum bulb will get things just right.

Monday night I dropped 3 autoflowers. I dropped a Northern Light, Narcotic Kush, and Crystal #$%*, Which since it's got a shitty name, I will refer to is as Stephanie Tanner. The Northern and Narco have yet to be named.

That's all I have for now. Will update once I return from shopping and ordering from the interwebs. Have a great day and smoke some good ass weed!

Thanks J!

Yes I have some amazing friends. Totally blown away by the generosity I have been blessed with.

Great Day Everyone!

I was able to score a fan for about the same price as amazon at the hydro shop. Got almost everything I need. The timers, hydrometer/thermometer, and ratchet ropes will arrive today. And on Monday I get the big light as well as some metal hooks to replace the plastic hooks that currently hold the bars from which I will hang everything. The plastic feels chinsy and weak. I've got almost everything else I need. I will need two 8"-6" reducers so I can connect everything.

I plugged the fan in and it's pretty quiet, but the tent is in my room right next to my bed. So, I think I'll get a sheet of that pink soundproofing board and make a little box to go around it, to absorb some of the noise. I think that should reduce it enough. Suggestions?

Another hurtle, is venting. I want to vent the hot air into my living room, but I'm not sure how to go about it. venting cool air from outside is easy, and in the summer that's where the hot air from the light will go. I'm thinking something along the lines of.... Figuring a way to run the ducting across the room, so it's not in the way. I'll need a way to attach the ducting to the ceiling without damaging the ceiling. Then I am thinking cheap door I can hook the ducting to so it blows the air out of the room. Cant sleep in a hot room is the main thing, the other thing is keeping electricity low, so using the heat from the light would be ideal as it would be cheaper than running the heater. Either way I am getting my 1000 watter and a few clones on Monday!!!

Day1013.jpg

Minty is doing very well. Seems very happy under the glow of the aquarium light. She's a little bit stretchy under the leaves, but it's noting a stake or some wire wont fix. Monday Minty will meet the HID. Speaking of that, I want the light to be somewhat on my schedule, obviously, but I will get the light Monday afternoon and have it up and running early evening. Lights off will be probably 3am lights back on at 9am. If I put minty under the HID Monday evening, I don't know what time it will be, but lets say I get everything rolling and get the plant in there Monday at 7pm, should I leave the light on it for more than 24 hours, and have the first 6 hour dark period, start tue/wed and 3am? or start the dark period just a few hours after putting the plant in the intense light, mon/tue @3am?

Stephanie Tanner broke ground this morning! I almost missed her she's so small, and still has her little shell on. C'mon baby, show me your leafs! she popped in less than 4 days!

Still waiting on the northern light and narcotic kush to pop. I hope it will be in the next day or two. How long do you guys wait to put a seedling under the HID?

Oh yeah, the aquarium light is a 17w 8000k bulb. It puts of like no heat. Minty seems to really enjoy the light, and while she has grown noticeably everyday, I just wonder if it's the best light. One of the guys at the hydroponic store told me that anything above 6500k is going to be awesome or root growth but not awesome for vegetative structure. If that's correct, then is it possible it would be beneficial to start plants under such light so the first week or two the plant can focus on roots so when you put it under the HID it already got a bangin root system? OR, is that bullshit because the root size directly correlates to plant size? Something I've been running through my brain and wanted to see what some of you though. I can see it being total bullshit, or absolutely true, and either makes sense to me. Weird.

Anyway, I'm so excited this project is officially underway. I am prepared for some bumps along the way, but I am happy that I off to a smooth start. I couldn't have been this smooth with out all of you. Thanks 420ers! :high-five:

Evening,

All is well in the realm of Sweetleef. Came home from work to find that the narcotic kush has popped up as well, sans shell even. Stephanie Tanner has grown a little taller since I left this morning but is still wearing her shell. Minty continues to grow at an even rate. Hope all is well.

Hope all is well.

Congrats on the Kush!

I had a shell on for a day or so, but I got impatient and gently pulled it off so she could breathe. Not sure if that is accepted wisdom, but it didn't seem to do mine any harm.

Stephanie Tanner is a lovely name for a plant, seems very formal, I believe she will be a very proper lady of a plant.

x

Good Morning everybody,

The auto Northern Lights popped this morning. Well, is popping this morning, I can just see her peaking out. I think she'll be standing within the hour. It's obvious, but I will refer to her as, Aurora.

Three autos planted and sprouted in less than 4 days! These girls want to grow!

So I've got three seedling that are 9 days behind Minty. I am excited to see how long it takes the autos to overtake their predecessor. Speaking of Minty I confirmed with my friend who gave me the bag Minty's seed was in, and it is indeed Cookies, now if it can just be a girl!!!

Thanks Cerdito! When I woke up Stephanie Tanner still had the shell so I gave it a little push and it came right off.

That's all for now, Happy Saturday!

:cheer: Congrats on the successes the last couple days! You are moving right along there and planning well.
Can't wait to see pics of your tent and set up!
You mentioned venting the heat into your living room, will you have a carbon filter of some kind for the smell included in the vent?
Keep up the great work sweetleef:thumb:

Hello 420 Friends!!!

Hey Doc,

Really great to have you along for the journey! I gotta get at some of that cake!

Hey Canna,

Yes I have a Phresh filter 6x16. I haven't used it yet, but its from a friends old setup which was much larger than what I'm doing, so it should be more than enough for my tent.

2 Questions about lights:

1. Monday Minty will meet the HID, followed by her first dark period since I put her in the aquarium. I want the light to be somewhat on my schedule, obviously, but I will get the light Monday afternoon and have it up and running early evening. Lights off will be probably 3am lights on at 9am. If I put Minty under the HID Monday evening, I don't know what time it will be, but lets say I get the plant in there Monday at 7pm, should I leave the light on it for more than 24 hours, and have the first 6 hour dark period, start tue/wed and 3am? or start the dark period just a few hours after putting the plant in the intense light, mon/tue @3am?

2. the aquarium light is a 17w 8000k bulb. It puts of like zero heat. Minty seems to really enjoy the light, and while she has grown noticeably everyday, I just wonder if it's the best light. One of the guys at the hydroponic store told me that anything above 6500k is going to be awesome or root growth but not awesome for vegetative structure. If that's correct, then is it possible it would be beneficial to start plants under such light so the first week or two the plant can focus on roots so when you put it under the HID it already got a bangin root system? OR, is that bullshit because the root size directly correlates to plant size? Something I've been running through my brain and wanted to see what some of you though. I can see it being total bullshit, or absolutely true, and either makes sense to me. Weird.

Timer- easy peazy. set it an forget it. Most important thing is to reduce stress and keep the schedule constant until it's time to flower.

As for that tiny bulb, blue spectrum in considered better for veg growth while a red spectrum is better for flower. Best option is a spread across the spectrums with emphasis on the color for the period of growth. So veg (b-b-r) flower (r-r-b). Not saying you need 3 bulbs just easy for the math of it all.

Timer- easy peazy. set it an forget it. Most important thing is to reduce stress and keep the schedule constant until it's time to flower.

Hey J,

Thanks for the quick response. I don't think I worded my question correctly. Minty is the bag seed I planted on a whim and put in my windowsill Once I got the aquarium setup, Minty has been under 24hours of light since the 16th. In putting the plant in the tent I will introduce it to it's new light cycle. Monday, when I get everything set up, wont be a full 18 hours of light before I would have the night shut off. So, should I have the light on for like 30 hours before the first 6 hour dark period OR, since it's been in 24/7 light for a week, is it ok to have the big light shut off after, say only 8 hours shut off for 6 an then turn on for the full 18 the next day?

As for that tiny bulb, blue spectrum in considered better for veg growth while a red spectrum is better for flower. Best option is a spread across the spectrums with emphasis on the color for the period of growth. So veg (b-b-r) flower (r-r-b). Not saying you need 3 bulbs just easy for the math of it all.

I read quite a bit about CFL's and their respective light spectrums as my original plan was to use only CFL's the whole grow. Anyway, the CFL spectrum discussed in this and various other grow forums ranges fro 25K-6500K. When I saw the bulb in the aquarium was 8000K I was like "Woah, 8000?" when I asked the dude at the hydro store he told me that someone bought a 10000K light from the store and came back a few months later with pictures of a lot of root and not a lot of vegetation. My question is basically, could it be beneficial to focus on root growth instead of vegetative growth in the seedling stage so that when you put your seedling under the HID, it's already got a large root structure and can thusly focus on veg growth? Is it a 6 of one situation?

im gonna hitch along for this one since its still early :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom