Blazer420 First Journal - 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical + UVB - Kind - Soil Gonna Push Em!

Blazer420

OK, I decided that I've been here long enough without a proper grow journal like the rest of the cool kids.

I have a 4x4x7 tent that I call "The Lab" or "The Crackpot Idea Tent" where I do all my fun growing. Its where I play with all sorts of growing ideas, new strains, lighting, nutes, etc. For a while I have had some strict rules about what goes on in the tent and how things operate in it so I could have some constants when I tested new things. You can read about my latest idea here. I'll update that thread in about 2 weeks when I harvest, but so far that one was another bad idea.

Anyway, here we are now...

Here is the plan as it stands now. I may change things a bit as I go along, but for the most part this is it.

4x4x7 tent
1k light MH veg, HPS bloom
4 - 4' 33w T5 UVB lamps for later in bloom (this is new to me)
Soil - VermiFire cut with 20% FF Light Warrior and approximately 1 cup diatomaceous Earth/pot
10 gal plastic pots
Nutes: Botanicare KIND, base, grow, bloom, tea, silica blast, MaxiCrop, Yucca extract (KIND is new to me)

Right now the 3 plants are in my germination tent under a 2', 4 bulb T5 fixture. They are about 10 days old and getting their 2nd set of true leaves. Just started getting a 10% solution of KIND bas and grow (based on the KIND feed chart). Sprouted in rapid rooters and almost immediately transplanted into 4" square pots with a mix of 80% Light Warrior and 20% VermiFire. They will get transplanted into the 10 gal pots and put into The Lab in about 2 weeks when I chop what's in there now.

I have grown Sensi Star before and its one of my favorites. I've never grown out Critical+ before so this will be interesting to have them side by side.

My plan is to see just how much I can pull with just 3 plants that big tent and 1k light. Also I have a time limit - for some particular reasons I will need to chop by 4/1/14. I'm not sure about the Critical+, but my records show that I generally chop Sensi Star in 62 days of flower. That means I have until about the end of January to veg.

I thought I would throw a little "interactivenes" (I think I just made that word up) to the journal. My idea is this. I intend to only top these plants. Possibly 3 but probably just 2 times. Other than that they are growing as they see fit. The interaction bit comes in if the readers of the journal make a suggestion along the way and enough people agree to it, I'll do it to the plants. Somewhat of a "community grow" so to speak.

As to the UVB, my plan is to have them on beginning when I see the first trichomes. Initially, it will only be for about 3 hours/day, but I would like to try to work it up to a full 12 hours on. I'll let the plants tell me if they are getting too much of a suntan.

Nutes will be given according to the KIND feed chart for Coco/soil. The only change to it will be that I'm going to slow down the dosing of the veg nutes because of the hot VermiFire. Maybe around 2 weeks after going into the 10 gal pots I'll be close to full strength. Remember I'm trying to push the hell out of these girls.

Pics of the seedlings coming soon.

Here goes! Wish me luck! I either fall on my face or hit the bumper crop when I try new and/or whacky things!

Thanks!

B-

Re: Blazer420 first journal, 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical+, UVB, KIND, soil, gonna push em

Ok, here are pics of the plats as they are this morning. See if you can guess what one is the Critical+ :thumb:

newplants1.jpg

Re: Blazer420 first journal, 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical+, UVB, KIND, soil, gonna push em

Just a pic bump of the new girls. Things are progressing nicely. They are getting some KIND base and grow at about 75% of the week 1 rate from Botanicare's recipe.

In about 10 days they will go to the veg tent with an UltraSun MH 1k turned down to 50%.

Nobodys has guessed the Critical+ plant yet!

seedlings110.jpg

B-

I noticed your in vermifire. Been using it for awhile with pretty good results.

Subbing up and will help when possible. 8 zips per would be really good. You need a good amount of veg time for that though.

I noticed your in vermifire. Been using it for awhile with pretty good results.

Subbing up and will help when possible. 8 zips per would be really good. You need a good amount of veg time for that though.

Thanks!

I really like VermiFire as well. Normally I just use it straight from the bag, but as I mentioned above I'm going to cut it with some Light Warrior. I've also made a game time decision to throw in some Royal Gold Tupur as well to really get the stuff aerated and to give me more room to "maneuver" with the KIND nutes.

I agree that 8/plant is a tough goal considering my compressed veg time, but I think I can come close - or burn the living hell out of the poor things trying! :)

B-

Just a quick update. The Three Amigos are doing quite well. I did give them all a pretty early topping - usually I wait at lest for 1 more node if not 2 - but I have a really compressed veg time and I want to get as much going as possible. Why not take a risk? :)

I did have a bit of an accident with it though. In my great wisdom I went after these little ladies with new Fiskars and well before my parkinson's meds had fully kicked in. When I got to the middle plant I had a little twitch and if you look closely not only did I get the main shoot, but the adjacent branch! Hopefully this little deformation won't hurt things too bad...

In about 4 days these are going into the main tent and put under an UltraSun 1k MH. I plan to ease them into the full 1k by starting at 50% for 2 days, then 75% for 2-3 days, and if everything still looks good the pedal is going through the floorboard for the full 1k.

plants213.jpg

hello pal im finding it hard to use this site would you be able to tell me what is up with my plants they are white widow in weeks 2 of veg
in coco/clay balls and perlite feeding them 1ml of root juice and 1ml of bio grow per liter of water they are all green 1 or 2 are showing signes of yellowing but just slightley on the bottom leafs and every leafe on the plants are pointing down and some are wrinkley but still firm i think it might be over watering well i hope they are.

I would veg until root bound in those pots and then go to a pot a little bigger veg for a few days and then flip.

Is there a reason you need to shorten the veg time so much.

I would veg until root bound in those pots and then go to a pot a little bigger veg for a few days and then flip.

Is there a reason you need to shorten the veg time so much.

I was planning on going into 10 gal pots when these 4"x4" pots fill up. I know that's a bit on the big side for this run, but its what I have right now.

As far as the short veg, I am going away for a while at the end of April (NOT the Big House thankfully) and won't be able to tend to them. However, there is about a 40% chance that won't happen but I won't know that for sure until later Feb. Given that these are roughly 60 day plants for me I had to take some time off the veg side. Maybe I'll luck out and find out that I won't have to go after all, but I'm not sure that news would hit me before I have to go to 12/12.

B-

Happy Thanksgiving to the 4 people reading this :circle-of-love::peace:

And a big thank you to :420: for all of the help the group here has given me!

Thanks and be well!

B-

A little post-Thanksgiving update...

These little suckers are really moving. Looks like they didn't even notice the topping they got earlier in the week. As you can see in one of the pictures, one of the plants has decided to get all nutty with its undergrowth. Not sure what to do about it. Probably let it go and see what happens. I can always cut it back later, but you can't put back what you cut away!

B-

3amigos1.jpg

bushy18.jpg

I wish I had my camera with me at the time, but I transplanted the 3 Amigas into 10 gal nursery pots yesterday. Soil mix ended up being 2 parts VermiFire, 1 part Tupur, 1 part Light Warrior. Once in the new pots, into the veg tent they went with a 1k MH bulb turned down to 75%.

One of the reasons I am regretting not having my camera was not being able to document the root ball. All three plants were as close to root bound as you can get. I think I have the correct watering for the 4x4's down now. Every 48 hours each plant got a shot glass of liquid (RO water or nutrient mix). Water, feed, water. That's it. I have not had heather looking roots before.

Pictures of the new home coming soon.

B-

Feeding time! Good opportunity to grab a shot of the 3 Amigas in their new home.

Light is now up to 1k output and they just got full doses of KIND base, grow, silica blast, tea, and sweet. I additionally added yucca extract, B1 and a bit of MaxiCrop.

I'm pushing them harder than I normally feel comfortable with, but that's the point of all this. So far no signs of stress other than some gnarly leaves where I butchered a topping on one of the girls.

Speaking of topping, I am strongly considering going after them again in about 5-7 days. That will probably be the last one unless I see that the plants are happy with the haircuts and then I will do a final 3rd one and just let them go.

Would love to hear any suggestion, comments or input here. I'm kinda in a new world here for me with this aggressive routine I'm giving them.

This is also my first time using KIND. So far so good. One thing to keep in mind (and I found this out on my own - Botanicare doesn't mention it), is that if you use the KIND products, Silica Blast should be added LAST after you add the water and mix the other products. When I didn't there was an instant and very pronounced white precipitate that formed. My guess is that is the silica coming out of suspension when in direct & concentrated contact with the other nutrients.

amigas.jpg

Here is a new shot 10 days later than the one above. They have really bushed out and have had their final topping.

I am going to back off just a bit on the KIND base for the next feeding or two as I'm noticing some N excesses especially in the old growth.

Its been so cold here lately that my little space heater has been running full time just to keep the temps up and that's with a 1k lighting the place up!

My plan - for now - is to veg these another 4-5 weeks then go to 12/12. Even with that my 8 oz/plant goal might be a bit optimistic but I may get pretty close.

I'm getting the UVB lamps (4, 4' HO T8 - roughly 120w) wired up and I want to get them installed in the coming days so I won't have to deal with it when these plants get to big to move around easily.

As always, any advice, comments or critiques are very welcome.

moreOfThe3.jpg

Nice and Green
Happy Skunkday Blazer :thumb:

Happy Thurweed day Blazer :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom