Jack Herer - Warlock - Diesel

Johny Velvet

Hey Everyone,

This is my first grow journal, and first post in any MJ related forums, so I'm pretty stoked to be starting it. I've been reading up like mad on other people's grows, and although this isn't my first grow, it's the first time I'm going to TRY to get seeds, rather than get them by a screw up, so I've gone mostly for straight seeds in a few classic strains. The Warlock (Serious) and JH (Sensi) are both reg seeds, the Diesel is fem Dinafem... I wanted at least one 'guaranteed' girl.

Of the 8 seeds I planted, all 6 of the regs popped, although one of the JHs is, as you can see, a major runt. I'm thinking about culling it, but I've been holding back for a few reasons... mostly cos it's kinda cute, I think, but also because I've read other growers say runts can do OK. I have serious doubts about this guy though - he really looks a few chromosomes short, and I think nature will take its course if I don't find a miracle. Also, one out of two Diesel seeds didn't pop.

If all goes well, I'll seed some lower branches, using the qtip method, a month or so out of harvest, and will aim to get all the possible combinations I can, depending on what the male/female appearance rate is. So, in a perfect world, I'd like one male and one female out of both the JH and the W... but of course I could end up with all fems, or all male too, for that matter... unlikely with the D being feminised, but possible I'm told... so we'll see. I'm not interested in selling anything I produce, it's only for my own growing/smoking pleasure (and I'm not sure, honestly, which I enjoy more), so I'm not worried too much about lost bud potential in the pollination. That said, I'm going to be as careful as all fuck to only seed up the limbs I want, with the combinations I want... we'll just have to see if I screw it or not. As you can probably tell from the light in the shots, I'm growing outside, in a covered area. There's power for a fan. The plan is to keep it totally organic. I've got my medium mixed, sitting there thinking about itself. Ingredients are, in various poorly measured quantities:
Pearlite and Vermiculite
Organic potting mix
Coco char
Organic compost
Mushroom Compost
Home made garden compost
Volcanic rock dust
Blood and bone
Dynamic lifter
Dolomite
Enzymes
Preparation 500

I basically mixed it all up until it felt/looked about right. Very scientific, eh? I do a little regular gardening, so I hope I haven't made a mess of it... we'll see!
So, image #1:
bottom of image, in the middle, is the D. Then the 3 W on the left, and the 3 JH on the right. You can see the runt in the middle. Sure is a mangled looking thing. I'm wondering if, perhaps, it hasn't shed it's shell properly or somesuch... any ideas about potential surgery would be appreciated. The two good JH's look very consistent, and seem to have the most sativa in them of all the seedlings. Both are the taller than the D and the W. Of the Warlock, the one in the middle, W2, looks like more of an indica pheno, although not as much as the D, which has very broad leaves, like a little strawberry plant. I'd be interested in opinions here...

I want to say, too, that after reading a lot of other people's grow journals, I've been really impressed by what an inclusive, positive community this is. It's great to see people getting excited for the gardening projects of other people who they don't even know, and, in my experience, it's really rare to find people trolling and generally being dipshits. It's that positivity that made me put the journal up. So, here's hoping it all comes to bud!

Plants48.jpg

Plants217.jpg

Re: Jack Herer, Warlock, Diesel

Looking good. Never thought of re using my beer ice chest for plants very nice :)

Thanks CO Finest. I figured it would help keep the temp stable. There's a little altitude here, and temps can move around a lot.

Latest pics of the girls. I guess they popped 2 or so weeks ago now. Still in seed raising mix, no ferts per se, but two hits of Seasol a week apart.
I'm wondering the best time to repot. I want to keep the height down in the JH, so I'm thinking I'll leave it until the last. Damn it stretches. And not just that, the leaves are a good size bigger than the others too. Man this plant wants to grow.

pt111.jpg

I sprayed them down with a little powdered horn silica in water today. Is meant to help with mould, with long term use, but I've never used it before so we'll see. Was thinking about a hit of neem, for prevention, but they look so healthy and happy, I didn't want to upset them.

pt32.jpg

Photo Above
JH, JH
W, W
W, D
JHrunt

That runt is still kicking. It got a new set of leaves, and they're mangled little fuckers like the last, but again not without charm. Dam that thing wants to live.

I found some really nice old chicken manure, so I threw that into the soil mix for the first repot. I guess it would be maybe 2-3 percent of the overall mix. God knows if that's a lot or a little - my first time really building an organic soil like this, over time, with so many ingredients stewing there, so it's hard to know measurements should be.

pt22.jpg

What lights are you using? They are stretching. If you see my link and look at mine. They out grew the cups in two weeks. You will see my seedlings are very short and getting fat. I keep my lights about 3"too 4" off of them. I use 4 t8 4' bulbs. if you get your lights down on them they will stop getting so tall and stretched out. Bigger yield with a shorter bushy lady's. Do you know about fimming. Your little ones are getting about the size to start. Fim is very easy low stress on plans and give you 2 too 4 nodes spots. More buds...

Hey CO. Yep, I gotcha on the stretching. They're outside, under cover, so no lights. The spot gets pretty good sun, but the weather was really closed in for the first week of their lives, and I think it really stimulated the vertical growth. I'm hoping it'll pull back a bit now, as the sun is shining.
I was wondering if FIM or topping would be best with them - have never tried a FIM, but was planning to this grow after reading up on it... but was thinking that topping, then re-topping, might pull back some of the vertical growth with the JH... Any thoughts? Will def FIM the W and D though. When's the best time, do you think? Is it above 3rd growth node, or can you do it earlier? I can tell I'm going to have to savage her to keep her from outgrowing her space.

Nitrogen Toxicity and Emergency Repot

Nitrogen_Tox.jpg

I potted up about a week ago. Things seemed okay at first - I had tested the soil on tomatoes and they seemed to go well with it. I noticed the first curling down of the leaf tips after about a day. By two days, many leaves were curling in at the edges. It wasn't overwatering.

I made up a new soil mix with just vermiculite, pete moss and potting mix/compost, plus some minerals and bits, unpotted the plants and took off all the new soil - lost a few new roots but not too many - back to the original root ball, and repotted into the new mix. This photo is one of the Warlock just after the repot. The Warlock seemed most affected. Then the Jack H, the Diesel the least.

Two days later and the new growth on all plants looks lighter green and good and healthy. The affected growth looks like quite a bit might die off. Will see.

Feel like I could have killed my plants there. I mean, if they were getting slaughtered with just a few new roots into the stuff, seemed like it was only going to get worse fast.

I'd been throwing composted organic matter into that soil mix for a while, and I'd obviously made the mix way too hot. Stupid noob. As usual, we fuck up most through over-enthusiasm.

Plant growth has recovered from my soil fuck up, and although the Warlock still looks a bit sick, all the new growth is good.
This is my first time playing about with LST, and, although I've busted a few stems, it is good, good wholesome fun bending these girls about. Like weird plant S&M. Vertical growth is starting to even out, although some plants are harder to bring under control than others. The Jack Herer, just as I've read elsewhere, just grow like nuts, certainly compared to the Warlock & Diesel... Really stretchy. The largest of the JH is at the back. It's my first LST attempt, and I just about broke it in two. Doesn't seem to have bothered the plant any though - even bent back madly, it's way taller than the rest, with vigorous new growth. I've just topped some shoots on it for the 2nd time.

Plants50.jpg

Warlock on the left, JH middle and top, Diesel Right.

A note on stretch. All these plants were stretching a lot early on. All the shots of seedlings online, and they're mostly indoor, showed them to be much lower than mine, like 3 growth nodes and the plant is scarcely 4 inches tall, and I was thinking there must be a real difference between indoor and outdoor growing. It didn't seem to be all about the light intensity - although natural light is more penetrative, I guess it's not the same as having a bulb a few inches from the growth tip, and my plants had very closed-in weather for the first few weeks. But I think it's just as much about the day/night temperature fluctuation. There's some altitude here, so it swings quite a lot.

Jach Herer Below

JH16.jpg

Four Little Girls and a Chewed up Warlock

4 girls now in flower.

Jack Herer below.
Very late to flower. One indicated right on the equanox, the other took another ten days, and has only just thrown out some hairs.
Love the look of this strain, even if it's stretchy and takes a long time to do anything. New growth comes out really whispy.

Jack_Herer_Flower.jpg
Jack_Herer13.jpg

The Diesel was the first into flower, a week or two before the equinox, so I guess this has been in flower about 3 weeks.
Diesel_Flower.jpg
Diesel_Flower_2.jpg

Hasn't really liked being tied down, unlike the jack.

Here's the Warlock. Small plant, but my fault. Took a real beating from my overly hot soil in the first repot.
One main lesson I've learned in this grow is about leeching the hell out of the soil, with roomtemp ph'd water, at the first sign of nutrient probs. Seems especially important with organic growing, and even after the first repot disaster, I still had too much nitrogen for the JH with the next soil mix. Didn't seem to concern the others though, although the W has stayed pretty stunted. I've used apple cider vinigar for the ph adjustment.

Warlock8.jpg
Warlock_Flower.jpg

And here's a Warlock Male that I'm planning to breed with. I put it out in the bush, with another male, and the local creatures knocked it over quick smart. Would have been gutted if it was a girl, but as I only need a bit of pollen from it, I was happy to think some possum getting high.

Chewed_Warlock.jpg

Peace through fine herb.

Jack Herer Buds.

JH14_b2.jpg

I'm going to chop these two Jack Herer girls down pretty soon. The Warlock and Diesel came down about six weeks ago. Neither produced significantly, but this was the result of my experiments in organic soil, and I should have put them in about 4 weeks earlier, in November (Southern Hem).

General comments are:

Diesel (Dinafem) - Resilient and beautiful plant. Deep purple colour for the final weeks. Good smoke, not too heavy, but not amazing.

Warlock (Serious) - Smallest yield of the three, but I think that was my gardening. Amazing smell in flower. So sweet, you could bottle it and sell it as a perfume. Wonderful, uplifting smoke. Lovely, clear-headed energetic high.

Jack Herer (Sensi) - Two very uniform phenos. Very good genetics. This plant just kept growing. Very stretchy in veg. Came into flower a good few weeks after the others, and is still going in the tail end now. All in all, it will be a full 3 months to finish them. Took a very long time to mature - didn't smell like anything for the first month or so in flower even. I had to bring them inside on account of the cold, and they have spent their last 6 or 7 weeks maturing under 5 x 24w CFLs (Warm White - 2700) in a compact space. Looking quite nice now, considering. All completely organic.
JH_b3.jpg

This will be the last post, as I'm going to cut them down pretty soon. I seeded the lower branches of the JH and the Diesel with a vigorous Warlock male. I'll open another journal when I pop a few of them.

All these shots are of the Jack Herer.

Keep growing. Keep learning. Keep up the love. :peace:

JH_B_.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom