TLSF's 1st Grow - Soil & Hempy - CFL - 2014

TLSF

Hello fellow growers, lurkers, and anyone that I may have left out. I'm attempting my first grow one in soil and one in a hempy style solo cup. Both are clones from Harborside Health Center. The BD is on Day 24 and the ANL is on Day 15, since I've gotten each from HHC.

Strain: Blue Dream (soil) and Atomic Northern Lights (hempy bucket)

Soil

Strain: Blue Dream
Pot size: Not sure, small retangular pot from $1 store.
Medium: FFOF 80% Perlite 20%
Nutes: Flora Grow/Bloom @ half strength.
Supplement: Superthrive, pH up and down.
Feed: Alternating between pH'd Nute solution and pH'd water.

Hempy

Strain: Atomic Northern Lights
Pot size: Solo cup for now.
Mediem: 4;1 Perlite/Vermiculite.
Nutes Flora Grow/Bloom @ full strength.
Supplements: Superthrive, pH up and down.
Feed: Twice a day, flush every third day.

Setup

TV Cab 2x3x4
Veg side 2x1x4
Lights: 8 x 6500k 23w CFL (184w)
Intake: 7"x7" passive
Exaust: Cheap PC fan, I think 20 cfm.
Table fan circulate air.
Temp: 88F day/81F night (cab doors closed)
80F day/74F night (cab doors open)
Hover around 70-74 with the lights off cab doors closed.
RH:25-35%
Flower side 2x2x4
Lights: 6 x 2700k 23w CFL
2 x 2700k 68w CFL (274w)
Intake: 20"x7" passive
Exaust: 90 CFM PC fan.
Table fan circulate air.
Temp: 84F day/79F night (cab doors closed)
79F day/72F night (cab doors open)
RH:25-35%

I was very hesitant to make this journal but I'm having a bit of temp issues and thought what the heck why not, at the same time I can share the same feeling of impatience and excitement with everyone else. I documented some pics on my phone and will post them as soon as I can find the charger :bong:

So far I'm loving it :yahoo:

:allgood:
-TLSF

re: TLSF's 1st Grow - Soil & Hempy - CFL - 2014

Cant wait to see some pics. Ill take a look at them and see if you could do any better with temps.

Be very careful adding nutes in the first month or two. FFO is a very hot soil. Lots of good nutes already in soil. If you see any browning I would cut nutes out for awhile. Happy Growing.

Thank you for stopping by my journal, RollingRock and CO Finest.

I got a little bit of burn on my first feed. I've cut back on it since then. Thanks for the tips/thoughts, they're always welcome. :Namaste:

The pics as promised:

Blue Dream
Day 5; 5 days of over watering and overbabying with my very ungentle, untrained hands. Replanted her in solo cup and just let her fix herself after that.
37314.JPG

Week 1.
BDWK1_5_.JPG
BDWK1_3_.JPG

Before
BDDay10.JPG

After
48711.JPG

2 days after first trim
53710.JPG

BD most recent; I believe 2 days ago or yesterday.
57510.JPG
57410.JPG

Atomic Northern Lights
Day1
43130.JPG

Week1 when I found out I should be watering more than once a day.
5092.JPG

I had to transplant her into a solo cause the 5 gal didn't fit in the new veg room.
57810.JPG

The Cab
53211.JPG
57310.JPG

Random togetherness
40810.JPG
53310.JPG
57210.JPG

Will get more pics of the cab for some venting/temp input.

-TLSF

Looks great! I would try and install an exhaust fan in the top of that bad boy. Also using white Mylar might cut down on some heat as well.

Looks great! I would try and install an exhaust fan in the top of that bad boy. Also using white Mylar might cut down on some heat as well.

Hey PP, thanks for stopping by.

So there isn't any confusion: the pictures with the survival blanket was a scrapped grow cab; the TV cab with flat white paint is the current cab. Would the white Mylar still help? I have some PC fans for exhaust. The flower segment has a 90cfm and the veg segment has a 20cfm pc fan. I was thinking of getting the same pc fan that's in the flower room.

Again I took pics but they're on the dead phone. Will upload pics as soon as... :tokin: later.

Any other tips/ideas/thoughts are welcome, always willing to learn. :Namaste:

-TLSF

Ah in that case I don't think the white would help. Stronger fans exhausting straight out of the top would maybe drop it a degree or two.

Ah in that case I don't think the white would help. Stronger fans exhausting straight out of the top would maybe drop it a degree or two.

Haha, I need more like -10F. :helpsmilie:
And my RH is at like all time low of 10%

I'm not sure if it's my untrained eyes, but they don't seem to mind. :phew:

All input welcome :thanks:

~TLSF

Pictures of cab:

The back of cab/ passive intakes.
image_4_12.jpeg

The passive intakes on both sides.
image_3_17.jpeg
image_1_27.jpeg

90 CFM PC fan on the flower side
image126.jpeg

The exhaust view/Top of cab
image_2_28.jpeg

Still having temp issues during the day. If don't open the cabs during the day, it can get up to 88F. 77-80F with the doors cracked.

I was thinking to just slapping a box on the flower segment of the intake.

I also need some advice on light filter for the passive intake, if anyone has any ideas, they're more than welcome :thanks:

~TLSF

I'm worried that it won't be an issue until you flower then the bigger plant will mean even higher temps. Cut a square in the top and put and exhaust fan like in a bathroom. A big fan like that should rip any heat out.

I'm worried that it won't be an issue until you flower then the bigger plant will mean even higher temps. Cut a square in the top and put and exhaust fan like in a bathroom. A big fan like that should rip any heat out.

I'm not really sure what you mean, but if you meant the bathroom exhaust fans, I had looked into them before. They seemed like a lot of work to install haha. Another solution I came across was slapping a sheet of glass to somewhat separate the heat coming from the lights but that would need me to get another pc fan for the lights alone.

~TLSF

Hi :420:

I got some pics of the girls, taken a few hours ago.

I think I'm having some problems:

Hempy

Watering with pH 6.0 nute solution and runoff is pH 6.2. I water twice a day.

IMG_22679.JPG
IMG_22659.JPG
IMG_226310.JPG
IMG_22628.JPG
IMG_22609.JPG

Soil

I water every 3 days, sometimes 4 if she still has some weight to her and the soil isn't really dry. I watered with pH 6.2 nute solution.
IMG_227312.JPG
IMG_22718.JPG
IMG_22709.JPG
IMG_226913.JPG

Should I cut back on the watering for the hempy? I'm not too worried about the soil but can never be too cautious.

Should I be worried? :helpsmilie:

~TLSF

I had a plant that turn a sickly green and she was just overwatered and in a bad medium so try watering less and see what happens. I use an almost soilless soil that is mostly coco hairs and perlite the little spots could be water that sits on your leaves and gets cooked cause it just looks like little droplets. I water once a week-week and a half.

Someone help :helpsmilie:

Hi :420:

The hempy has been looking a bit droopy:

IMG_227512.JPG

Decided to take a peak at her roots, does it look like root rot? :helpsmilie:
IMG_228415.JPG
root_rot2.JPG

I see some white roots growing and the new growth seems ok but any tips and info would help.

Blue Dream (1 month veg, few days in flower)

Before trim:
IMG_227710.JPG

IMG_227610.JPG
IMG_228013.JPG
IMG_228118.JPG

After trim:
IMG_229114.JPG

IMG_228911.JPG
IMG_22929.JPG

Should I bring her closer to the light?
IMG_229310.JPG

Any info/help are welcome. :thanks:

~TLSF

Quick update:

Hempy: Blue Dream

New clone from HHC.

IMG_23088.JPG

Hempy: Atomic Northern Lights

I think she's bounced back from what could have been, not really sure if it was, root rot. :phew:

IMG_230712.JPG

Soil: Blue Dream

6th day of flowering
IMG_230613.JPG
IMG_230516.JPG

-----

Got some new fans for the cab. I broke the other 90CFM one; accidently stuck my finger while putting tarp for the flower side, so there's no light gets in from the veg side.

240 CFM
Saw a video of these and I'm scared they're gonna be really loud.
IMG_230910.JPG

any feedback welcome :thanks:

~TLSF

Hi TLFS,

Your girls are beautiful!!! I'll follow your CFL grow!!!! You are using clones, experimenting with soil and hydro, vegged for a month, trimmed, FIMed and topped. Yes! I'm in. I'm going along for the ride ;). Were the clones taken during the flowering stage? I ask because I read that the clones taken during the flowering stage take less time to finish. You can identify your strains !!!! How long until they finish? BTW, your set up ROCKS!!!! Why are you doing a stealth grow?

Hi TLFS,

Your girls are beautiful!!! I'll follow your CFL grow!!!! You are using clones, experimenting with soil and hydro, vegged for a month, trimmed, FIMed and topped. Yes! I'm in. I'm going along for the ride ;). Were the clones taken during the flowering stage? I ask because I read that the clones taken during the flowering stage take less time to finish. You can identify your strains !!!! How long until they finish? BTW, your set up ROCKS!!!! Why are you doing a stealth grow?

:welcome: Noclue122, hope you enjoy the ride.

I'm not sure of the status of the mother when the clone was taken, since the clones were acquired from a local dispensary. The grow itself is actually to get my parents started, wet their feet a little, cause meds is getting $$$. The stealth set up because my mother is very paranoid and wants to keep it as low-key as possible. The Blue Dream in soil has a about another month and half before she's due to harvest. The two in hempy is still vegging.

=====
Hey :420:

Little update:

Hempy: Blue Dream day 5 (5 days in Veg)
image_1_28.jpeg

She's been drooping lately; I've been watering her twice a day, til the roots hit the res, should I cut back?

Hempy: Atomic Norther Lights day 25 (3weeks and change in Veg)
image129.jpeg

She doesn't look like she's growing anymore, to me at least, but she also not dying, so you be the judge.

Soil: Blue Dream day 35 (26 days in Veg, a little over a week in flower)
image_4_13.jpeg

image_3_18.jpeg

image_2_29.jpeg

The soil girl, I'm usually not worried about, but shouldn't I be seeing bud by now? Other than that, there's some black marks, some burn marks, not a lot of em though. On one or two leaves. Just to be safe, should I be worried?

Some final tune ups to the cab in the coming weeks, no time to go to the store to get certain supplies is really putting on a hold on that progress.
=====

Like always, any feed back is always welcome.

Happy growing.

~TLSF

Little update:

read up on some plant problems, I got it down to over watering and P deficient. With P deficiency, I read it can cause the small slow growth (which is what I think is happening to the Hempy: Atomic NL.) and purple stems/petioles (which is what I think is happening to the Hempy: Blue Dream.) The temps in the veg segment goes from 70-76(during the day) to 64-68 (during the night.) I read FloraNova Bloom would fix the problem but I also read people being against mixing the two 1part nutrients, so..

Gonna try watering with just straight pH'd water for the next few days to a week, see if she perks up or gives me more problems.

If anyone else has a solution, feel free to relieve some stress. :thanks:

#firsttimegrowerproblems :lot-o-toke:

Thank you come again
~TLSF

I think you have a good idea there with just only using water. Try ff boomerang as well it helped my little sad girl bounce back and now she is taking full nutes again two weeks later. I fed it yesterday and it blew up a few inches over night.

Back
Top Bottom