Shuffledemon's Organic Soil Multistrain Indoor LED Grow Journal — 2014

shuffledemon

“Seed To Weed” Grow!

[ I know 420mag recommends I have a bunch of details posted here that summarize the characteristics of my grow. I like that idea, and I will do that by coming back and updating my post, but many of these details aren’t worked out yet … ]

I purchased individual feminized seeds from ‘Single Marijuana Seeds’ ( Marijuana Seeds - Single Marijuana Seeds ). I haven’t worked with this company prior to this purchase so I have no additional feedback on them yet.

For this grow we are using one each of:

- Green House Super Lemon Haze ( 19.23% thc, 0.21% cbd, 1.15% cbg )
- Barney's Farm LSD ( 24% thc, 1.3% cbd )
- Reserva Privada Purple OG #18 ( 70% indica, 30% sativa )
- Medical No Name ( 15-20% thc, high cbd )

I picked a mixture of things that sound interesting to build some new family lines. The data in the parenthesis is the best I have on the strain characteristics. I grow for medical purposes.

I enjoy the process of growing plants. I’m newer to the process of growing marijuana but not plants in general. I’ve got lots of flowers and vegetables growing everywhere.

Seeds can last quite a while if you store them in a dry and room temperature-to-slightly warmer than room temperature environment. Not hot, and not humid.

When you are ready to germinate the seeds place them in a glass of water. I have four separate strains that I will want to identify through the growing process, so I put each seed it in a separate jar after filling it with boiled (and subsequently cooled) water.

window_jars.JPG

Most seeds will float when you first drop them into the jars or glasses. This is natural. The seed has an airtight natural shell for protection. After about an hour if you have several seeds you may see a small percentage of them sink to the bottom. Sinking is important eventually, but they all will take different amounts of time. One of the main reasons seeds sink is that their first main root sprouts from the seed and allows the water to permeate the inside of the seed – thereby becoming much more dense and sinking. This is a great sign! The last of these four seeds took just less than one full day to sink.

I’ll leave these seeds submerged in the water for two full days.
Meanwhile, I am “burning in” my new light from topledgrowlight.com . As most of you who have growing intentions know, topledgrowlight.com is a relatively new sponsor here at 420mag and we love our sponsors! So I bought a 144x3 watt reflector series light ( Reflector LED grow light 144x3w ). It has separate veg and bloom settings and has been reviewed now quite well. Sara from TLGL was very helpful and responsive when answering my pre and post purchase questions. Many companies are good at the presales bit, but many fewer are interested in supporting you after the sale. Thank you Sara! You deserve a raise.

Here are a few pics of the light being setup and run to ensure correct operation and to learn of the amount of heat created and how it is dissipated.

light_test_1.JPG

light_test_2.JPG

There is effectively no heat generated by these things. Of course that isn’t entirely accurate, but the air intake above the unit and the fans that push out the air on the sides do a good enough job that the net effect feels like a cooler space, but I don’t have this thing in a confined setup yet, so time will tell. A regular CFL grow will product more “light heat” than this setup.

We’ll get back to the seeds shortly – they need another day submerged in water and then we’ll make a judgment call whether they get another day of wet paper towel treatment or not. They probably will.

In coming days we’ll also mix our organic soil mix in prep for planting. I’m reconfiguring the tent so we will go over some basic environment setup stuff as well. I am definitely no expert here but happy to share what I have found works for me, and happy to hear what others do that seems to work for you guys as well.

:Namaste:

Moved my light into my grow tent and began to get setup today. I draw the tent air through my carbon filter and then out of the tent. I prefer this config rather than taking tent air through some ducting to outside of the tent because you need more real estate. If my 4x4 tent was ever too small I would take that approach, but I am not a high volume farmer.

I still have a fan to place in the tent and a couple more things but this is mostly complete. I am thinking about a scrog grow. Haven't done one before. I've read a lot, though, and I like the idea. Regardless of what method I settle on I will be doing some low stress training to maximize yield. I'm new to that as well.

The wires and clips that are suspending the light are the ones included with it and are a little flimsy. I may replace in time but they seem to get the job done.

tent_11.jpg

This LED light isn't meant to serve this big of an area. I have a question :

Should I build a reflective wall to use here to 'contain' my plants or do you think they will be okay and receive enough of the light if I center my plants directly under the light?

I may get to the soil mix yet today as well. If not, it will be in the next couple of days so I will surely post updates when I get to that.

Well, I did get to the soil mix today. I believe in keeping things simple.

My organic soil recipe is as follows:

1) 1 part peat moss
2) 1 part organic compost
3) 1/2 part perlite
4) 1 cup lime

This mix will provide a great moisture retaining but ‘airy’ soil. Peat moss retains water as it’s just a bunch of different dead moss varieties. Even dead, the moss holds moisture many times it’s own weight. Perlite helps the soil not compact and hence allows airflow through it. Air to your plants roots is absolutely essential.

soil_mixing.jpg

I mix in a bin like this. I use this mix for everything I plant - indoors and out. Mix your contents very well.

soil_pots.jpg

I plant in somewhat smaller-than-normal pots. I don’t grow with super strong lights, so if these new LEDs create larger plants ( with larger root bases) I may have to move to a bigger pot.

The last thing I will add to the soil is a gentle organic fertilizer.

better_world.jpg

This go around I am using Better World concentrated organic fertilizer. I don’t have any experience with this product so I will have to work through this grow to see how it works. With germinating seeds you want to ensure you use a very gentle fertilizer in your soil if any. This is a 2-2-2 mix and claims you “cannot burn your plants” with it. I bet you could if you used enough, but let’s not test that theory.
I add a teaspoon to each pot and mix well.

We should be ready to plant our (hopefully) germinated seeds in the next two days. Will keep you posted! :)

I only like to leave my seeds submerged for 48 hours tops. Some oxygen of course is in the water but at some point the seeds shift from needing primarily only moisture to a mix of water and oxygen that water alone cannot provide.

So, after the 48 hours of submersion I take them out carefully with _clean_ tweezers. I use ispropyl pads to clean off my tools. This will become very important when we get to harvesting…

clean_tools.jpg

I prep four half sheets of paper towel folded in on themselves to effectively make “quarters”.

Then, fill a small glass or jar with just a little bit of water. Drop several drops on each quarter of paper towel.

wet_towels.jpg

Then, transfer your seeds to each small paper towel piece. I am doing this because I want to chart the progress of my individual strains. Remember - each seed is a different strain for this grow. If you don’t have the same challenge feel free to use a single sheet instead of this 4-way madness. :)

Once the seeds are on each fold them over, label them if required, and drop a 1-3 more drops on the tops of the paper towel. You want both sides very moist but not sitting in pooled water. Don’t sweat it if it pools a little, just don’t go crazy.

prepped_Seeds.jpg

Once done, take another plate of the same size or bigger and place it on top. This will create a protective environment where the moisture will be preserved.

plate_trick.JPG

Take your plate-paper towel-seed-paper towel-plate device to a dark room temperature-ish place. I like using the closet in our bathroom since 1) Its dark, and 2) It’s humid. The seeds seem to like it.

Wait a half day and take the plates out. Don’t peel the paper towels back to look. Drop 2-5 more drops of water on the tops of the towels until the area is damp again.

In another half day you should open up the plates to inspect your seeds. There is a good chance they will be done.

So, I have 24 hours to wait now until I see my seeds again. Only one visible sprout from the submerged water exercise so far. That isn’t totally abnormal and I am not writing the unsprouted seeds off yet.

More to come!

Had a peek at my germinating seeds this morning. Ok, if I am being honest I did last night as well. :laugh:

One was sprouting in water, but no others last night. This morning, #2 has sprouted and one other looks like it is on the verge. Obviously I'd like them all to pop but I will be happy with 75%. I will not be happy with 50%.

More updates to come! These babies will hit soil either late today, tomorrow, or perhaps the next day. Once three seeds pop they are hitting dirt and if the fourth comes around we'll take care of that then.

Ive got a question for you. You've got your filter on the bottom of your tent which means its sucking up the cooler air at the bottom. Wouldn't it work out better if it were placed at the top so it can suck out the hotter air that will rise?

Hi Sativacat. That makes sense. With this light I actually will need to heat the tent slightly as it is in a cool basement. It's interesting since every other light source more than creates enough heat that you have to mitigate, but this LED does not. So, I guess, it's better that I am scooping my cold air and preserving what little warmth is generated in the tent.

For you ? (Should I build a reflective wall to use here to 'contain' my plants or do you think they will be okay and receive enough of the light if I center my plants directly under the light?) I got five Train Wrecks going right now in a 5'x5' space and they are doing just fine now with light in the middle. So Its really up to you but I see no need to. That like works good at 20"too24" above plants well. Now that is on FLO,Big Buds and Train Wreck so each plant is different and should be tested.

Moved my light into my grow tent and began to get setup today. I draw the tent air through my carbon filter and then out of the tent. I prefer this config rather than taking tent air through some ducting to outside of the tent because you need more real estate. If my 4x4 tent was ever too small I would take that approach, but I am not a high volume farmer.

I still have a fan to place in the tent and a couple more things but this is mostly complete. I am thinking about a scrog grow. Haven't done one before. I've read a lot, though, and I like the idea. Regardless of what method I settle on I will be doing some low stress training to maximize yield. I'm new to that as well.

The wires and clips that are suspending the light are the ones included with it and are a little flimsy. I may replace in time but they seem to get the job done.

tent_11.jpg

This LED light isn't meant to serve this big of an area. I have a question :

Should I build a reflective wall to use here to 'contain' my plants or do you think they will be okay and receive enough of the light if I center my plants directly under the light?

I may get to the soil mix yet today as well. If not, it will be in the next couple of days so I will surely post updates when I get to that.
Centering the plants under your lights will work just fine.

Centering the plants under your lights will work just fine.

Thanks CO and Harley. I will plan to center the light right above the plant(s) and hang from 20-24" above to start.

General seedling update : 3 of the 4 have popped. The first two are quite a ways ahead - so they will likely get potted later today. The fourth seed has not popped yet so #3 (very small sprout) and #4 (no sprout yet) will wait. I'll take pics.

More to come!

Hi everyone!

I planted seeds #1 and #2 late in the day yesterday since their sprouts were growing quite large. Here is a pic of their state and how I planted them as well - one teaspoon of gentle & organic Better World fertilizer (pics earlier in the thread) mixed in well in each pot. A quarter inch (or so) of a depression with your finger makes a great bed for your germinated seeds. I do about half of the first digit of my index finger but I have big hands.

planting3.jpg

Next I took the pots into the tent and focused a 42 watt 6500k CFL bulb with a hood right over the pots. Strictly speaking the light is only there for heat purposes until we have some green growth.

lights41.jpg

Tent is stable at 72 degrees with a small heat source.

My third seed sprout is coming along but my purple strain hasn't sprouted. I'm not giving up yet!

I'm building a custom table inside the tent since I can't bend over all that well - my back is finicky. So, going to build a 24" high table with my scrog assembly about 10 inches above that. The real goal is to take a small stool into the tent and sit and work. My life is full of stress and I really enjoy time in the tent working. Quite calming with some headphones, etc. So we'll see if I can make that happen this go-round.

More updates to come.

I have to say for me the best part of growing is seeing the seed break soil and become a seedling. Congratulations on you new baby.

Back
Top Bottom