Max Reefer's First Grow After a 20 Year Hiatus

Max Reefer

greetings everyone! where to begin,... maybe a little back story.

some number of years back I had a grow in a basement for about a year. I had to stop because the smell was so strong. there were other mitigating circumstances but the smell was the main reason. back then it was just a couple (3 max) plants in flower at a time. back then there was no internet or youtube to glean info from, so I had a stack of books instead. while books are good, they pail in comparison to actual user experience as a learning tool.

back then I grew everything from bag seeds, didn't know anything about strains other than sativa and indica and everything I did was an experiment. my grow space was small, 2 rooms 4x6x6 each. my starter veg room had 4 foot flouros with ott lights in them. my flower room had one 250 watt hps and one 400 watt mh side by side. I later supplemented that with two 70 watt hps yard lights. I grew in hydroton in a top feed reservoir setup that would completely drain back to the reservoir. I wish I could remember the watering cycle for that setup it worked so well I had explosive root growth. I used and rather liked the general hydro nutes, but there were some other ingredients I added that I don't remember the names of (possibly earth juice or some other catalyst). I was making co2 with baking soda and vinegar and getting over 1,000 ppm in my space. you could almost see the plants grow! I didn't know what it was called back then but I did super cropping, crucifixion, and defoliation, but I never did lolly popping.

anyhow, moving on...

fast forward 20 years. I am now much older and am fortunate enough to live in one of the greatest states in this great nation. through the fallout of a torn rotator cuff, I was fortunate enough to get a prescription. don't get me wrong, I have been smoking most of my life but now it's legal, sort of. so I decided to dust off my grow equipment and try this again. this time I have not sprouted a single seed, even though I have a lot of bag seeds. nope, this time I bought some clones in my rush to get started, then I discovered a local source for commercially vegged ready to flower trees and bough some of them. then my buddy bought some other mother plants and non commercially grown ready to flower trees. they all came in soil, but I have never grown in soil and I like the benefits of hydro. sooo,... I washed the roots and put them in deep water culture. this turned out to be a good thing as I quickly discovered that the first clones I bought came with a special secret package. yep! I had root aphids! never seen them before and first thought I had fungus gnats. if I had left them in the dirt, they would have likely died before I figured out what was the cause. I had never heard of deep water culture before but after watching some vids on the tube of you, I was hooked! but I think I am going to go back to starting from seed. in the six weeks or so since I started I have had to do battle with root aphids, powdery mold, and spider mites. I think after this flowering cycle I will empty my room and sterilize everything.

that's all I have time for now but I can throw down the specifics.

currently 13 plants several strains.

in deep water culture;
(these are all 6 weeks into flowering)
2 golden goats
2 white elephants
1 deadwood
1 boggle gum
1 blue hawaiian
1 chem dawg

in soil (sunshine mix);
(the nycd and chernobyl are 2 weeks in and the blue dream is just one week in to flowering)
3 new York city diesel
1 chernobyl
1 blue dream

dwc nutes;
general hydro
hydrogen peroxide
hydroguard inoculant
aquashield

soil nutes;
water

lighting (planning to replace all these with four 400 watt mars 2 led lights very soon);
one mag ballast 250 watt hps
one mag ballast 600 watt hps
one digital ballast 1000 watts set to 600 watts hps

ventilation;
150 cfm vent fan switched by humidity and temperature
one 8 inch fan circulating air inside the grow room
one 5 inch computer fan also circulating air inside
one 24 inch x 8 inch carbon filter with fan, also recirculating and not venting

other;
air tiger ozone generator
room dehumidifier set at 50%

room size;
7w x 10l x 8h actual plant coverage is more like 7x8

MR

I made an error on the time that the plants have been flowering.

these eight plants have been flowering for 31 days today
2 golden goats
2 white elephants
1 deadwood
1 boggle gum
1 blue hawaiian
1 chem dawg

these four plants have been flowering for 15 days today
3 new York city diesel
1 chernobyl

and the blue dream has been flowering for 13 days today

MR

because we all like pics...

behold, the jungle!
the_jungle1.jpg

I have a white elephant, or two in my grow room! this one is the better of the two.
white_elephant_31_days.jpg

I have two golden goats that came to me 5 and 6 feet tall! but that didn't last long!
golden_goat_two_31_days.jpg

golden_goat_one_31_days.jpg

then there is the chem dawg...
chem_dawg_31_days.jpg

chem_gawg_top_31_days.jpg

chem_dawg_close.jpg

this is my blue hawaiian...
blue_hawaiian_31_days.jpg

and bogglegum...
bogglegum_31_days.jpg

MR

alright! after several days of fighting the dreaded two spotted spider mite, I took her out in the back yard and hosed her down! after bringing her back in the grow room, I cannot find a single mite. I hope this is the case tomorrow.

blue_dream_thinned1.jpg

afer_a_good_hosing_down.jpg

blue_dream_thinned.jpg

I also trimmed a considerable number of fan leaves off her and did a little lolly popping as well. she was a little cluttered down low.

MR

alright! after several days of fighting the dreaded two spotted spider mite, I took her out in the back yard and hosed her down! after bringing her back in the grow room, I cannot find a single mite. I hope this is the case tomorrow.

blue_dream_thinned1.jpg

afer_a_good_hosing_down.jpg

blue_dream_thinned.jpg

I also trimmed a considerable number of fan leaves off her and did a little lolly popping as well. she was a little cluttered down low.

MR

2 days after getting the hose, I can't find a single mite. gonna keep an eye out for them for a couple more days though to be sure they are gone.

MR

Max, you have a nice journal going here and a very nice grow for the lighting you have. You're growing White Elephant? My cousin gave me a clone of what he called Elephant Bud. Does this look anything at all like your White Elephant?

Elephant Bud(?) Day 16 - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

thanks bunkermonkey, the white elephant I have I bought from a guy off craigslist for $10 each. they were small cuttings in solo cups and should heave been vegged for at least 3 weeks, but I didn't have a space for that so they went right into flowering. they also suffered a lot of stress when I converted them to hydro form soil so they are quite small. they also had root aphids which slowed their growth quite a bit. according to the info I could find, they are a cross with white and elephant, but for that matter they could just be some bag seeds the guy sprouted. I will never know.

MR

It sucks to have to take someone's word on the genetics we grow. I did buy some Colombian Gold landrace from Gage Green Genetics and Whit Widow from Royal Queen Seeds for my next grow. I lost 2 White Widow seeds in the carpet when I opened the shit package Royal Queen puts them in so if I buy any more seeds from them I'm opening the package over a clean tile floor so I can find them. The nearest dispensary to me has shitloads of seeds so I don't have to send off to Europe and worry about Customs snatching them up.
Seeds_0415140636.jpg

It sucks to have to take someone's word on the genetics we grow. I did buy some Colombian Gold landrace from Gage Green Genetics and Whit Widow from Royal Queen Seeds for my next grow. I lost 2 White Widow seeds in the carpet when I opened the shit package Royal Queen puts them in so if I buy any more seeds from them I'm opening the package over a clean tile floor so I can find them. The nearest dispensary to me has shitloads of seeds so I don't have to send off to Europe and worry about Customs snatching them up.
Seeds_0415140636.jpg

in my humble opinion, even those fancy packaged seeds are 50/50 likely to be bag seeds with a random name. there is no guarantee that what you are getting is actual genetics, with no way to verify them either.

a suggestion for opening the containers. do it inside a gallon sized zip lock bag.

MR

Max, at 16 days my buds aren't showing any trichomes yet. When did yours start showing?

I didn't note what day it was that the first ones showed up. my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, so I really didn't get a good look at them till I shot the high res pics of them posted above at 31 days into flower, which revealed the frosting. here are some shots of the chernobyl and blue dream I have in earlier stages of flowering. the chernobyl is 19 days in, and the blue dream is 17 days in.

the chernobyl;

chernobyl_4_19_days.jpg

chernobyl_3_19_days.jpg

chernobyl_2_19_days.jpg

chernobyl_19_days.jpg

the blue dream;

blue_dream_2_17_days.jpg

blue_dream_3_17_days.jpg

MR

Thanks Max! I have a 40X eyepiece on the way and by next week when it gets here I should be at about the same stage yours were at when they started showing.

Re: Max Reefer's first grow after a 20 year hiatus mistakes section

since this is supposed to be a learning process, not only for me but everyone who reads this. here is a list of the mistakes I realize I have made so far...

1) avoid converting soil grows to hydro (if you must do this, veg the converts for at least 2 weeks maybe more to adjust them to their new environment and develop roots)
2) avoid high grow room temps (95 degrees Fahrenheit is too high. don't ask how I know)
3) quarantine any new plants from unknown sources ( I can't stress this enough!) better yet, don't get plants from unknown sources! no matter how good the price!
4) no matter how much research you think you have done. do more! knowledge is king!

one more thing, no matter how comfortable your hand is under your 400 watt metal halide light. back that puppy up some for your cuttings. again, don't ask how I know this.

MR

Thanks Max! I have a 40X eyepiece on the way and by next week when it gets here I should be at about the same stage yours were at when they started showing.

good job! I have a 30x scope from radio shack that helped me identify the root aphids and the spider mites. I am looking forward to the arrival of this...

5MP 20x 200x USB Digital Microscope LED Lighted Endoscope Magnifier Zoom Camera | eBay

this will not only give me a greater view if my girls, but I should be able to get some great images for the forum with this guy.

MR

something that I remember doing in the past was using something called a catalyst, but I am pretty sure it was just molasses. so I bought a gallon of earth juice high brix today. from here on out I will be adding 1 teaspoon per gallon of nute solution for the hydro and one tablespoon (3 teaspoons) per gallon for the soil grow I have going on. we will see how that works out.

MR

Max, do you check the pH of the nutrients AFTER you mix them up? Using just General Hydroponics Grow/Micro/Bloom along with some silica and cal/mag during veg never changed my pH, BUT since I started using GH budding enhancers I have to raise my pH after adding them! Went from a 6.5 (ideal for soil) to a 5.3!

Back
Top Bottom