Klaser's Newbie PC Grow Journal

Klaser

Hi guys,

I just started this little project of mine. I will be posting pictures as I go along and hope to get alot of feedback and advice. The goal is not a heavy yield, but more the process of building the grow room and hopefully see the plants thrive.

This is the stuff i'll be working with:

• Case: I will use my old Termaltake Mid-tower, 42cm x 19cm x 49cm (depth x width x height)
  • Reflective material Lightite Diamond Diffusion foil
  • Lights: Lighthouse Blackstar 100W LED
  • Fans: 1 x Silverstone FM 121 outtake (120mm), 1 x 80mm intake
  • Carbon Filter: When the time comes, DIY
  • Plants: White Haze Auto, White Diesel Haze Auto, Northern Lights Auto
  • Pots: TEKU square pots, but i'm not sure about size!?

So far I've spent a decent amount of time stripping the cabinet, and finally got to installing the fan and reflective foil. My biggest concern now is the three 13cm x 13cm pots, holding about 1.4 liters each. Is this fine or should I instead go for only 2 plants in larger pots, eg, 2.5 liters? Any advice is much welcome!

Hopefully I'll be able to install the LED during the weekend and start germinating the seeds. Cant wait :D

Stripped cabinet:
photo_1459.JPG

Foiled, and installed the 120mm fan
photo_4264.JPG

Thank Peyton!

April 26'th

So today I did some tweaks to the 120 mm fan. My PC case does not have a 120mm fan outlet, so I had previously attached the fan using duct tape in the power supply area. I really wanted to install it better and also make more space for better airflow. I therefore drilled some air holes and a couple of holes for attaching the fan with screws. My plan is to attach a carbon filter on the outside and push air through it.
With the fan safely installed I decided to start germinating the seeds. Tomorrow I will install the LED and hopefully the case will be ready to receive the new babies :)

Cheers!

12 mm fan - before:
photo_1_1_32.JPG

12 mm fan - drilled holes:
photo_3326.JPG

12 mm fan - after:
photo_4_1_13.JPG

April 27'th

So today I installed the LED and added reflection materials to the ramaining walls.
I'm really happy with how it turned out, but the big question is if I should go with 3 plants in the small pots (1.4 liters, see picture) or go for 2 plants in bigger pots?

photo_2_2_26.JPG

OK Im interested lol :) I ran with autos for a coue of years and you want bigger pots and less plants :) so two would be your max. Do you have any strain info regards to size and characteristics?
You can top autos if done on a small enough scale and use some simple LST to provide as much room per bud site! :)
No1 tip for any training get some plastic coated garden wire, you wont behead anything using it! :)
Anyway subbed, Im all about training if you hadn't guessed lol. :)

The computer case is a good idea, i like it..
to answer your question, I would go with 2 plants

Thanks for your input!

OK Im interested lol :) I ran with autos for a coue of years and you want bigger pots and less plants :) so two would be your max. Do you have any strain info regards to size and characteristics?
You can top autos if done on a small enough scale and use some simple LST to provide as much room per bud site! :)
No1 tip for any training get some plastic coated garden wire, you wont behead anything using it! :)
Anyway subbed, Im all about training if you hadn't guessed lol. :)

The strains are White Label White Haze Auto, rated at an avg height. The Sensi Seeds Northern Lights Auto is characterized as a compact plant that normally reaches 60-90 upon harvest time.
I guess with larger pots i'll have more room to work with, and this might be easier to control for a beginner like me?

I have some 3.5 liter pots I can use instead of the 3 smaller. I'm just abit worried if I have enough vertical space available with those pots? (see picture). I guess if I do not fill the pots completely with soil, but leave a few cms, I could reduce the height a bit, and use the top of the pot to attach wires for LST?

2 x 3.5 Liter Pots. Go or no-go?
photo_1_124.JPG

Seed 1 DOWN :)

So the White Haze seed germinated and I just put it into the soil. The Northern Lights seed does still not show sign of germination. The seed was HUGE when I got it, but maybe that's normal? Its been 72 hours now.
Anyways, the White Haze seed has now been planted inside the cabinet in a pot that was slightly cut down in size.

I think I will go for 2 pots in total, however there is room for 3 if should add one more.

DSC_003218.JPG
DSC_003325.JPG
DSC_003618.JPG
DSC_002831.JPG

Maybe go with two at first then pick your favorite to keep and train like a circus freak that does contortionism and fits in tiny boxes. I'd pay to see it.
Subscribed to this action

Maybe go with two at first then pick your favorite to keep and train like a circus freak that does contortionism and fits in tiny boxes. I'd pay to see it.
Subscribed to this action

Hahaha! Now I wont be able to do LST without imagining circus freaks doing crazy stuff! Love it!

As these are autos you have to be very careful not to over train them. Two girls both topped on tiny scale at say 6th node, stripping the bottom 2 gives you 4 nodes. This with simple LST of each branch will give you 8 tops each that you can space as you need.
If 16 colas is to many for ya space top one node earlier.
OZ brit tried my training on one of his autos and it gave the best of the bunch! :)

As these are autos you have to be very careful not to over train them. Two girls both topped on tiny scale at say 6th node, stripping the bottom 2 gives you 4 nodes. This with simple LST of each branch will give you 8 tops each that you can space as you need.
If 16 colas is to many for ya space top one node earlier.
OZ brit tried my training on one of his autos and it gave the best of the bunch! :)

Thanks for your advice! Do you begin with LST and then top? Or do you let it grow, top, and then start LST?
I was planning to do something like this: https://buymarijuanaseeds.com/community/attachments/lst-diagram-jpg.303758/
Does this work well with autos too?

She's Alive!

So, first signs of life after I planted the White Haze. The Northern Lights sprouted and I just planted her as well. Based on your advice I decided to go for 2 pots. Feeling good!

Sprouting :)
DSC_003327.JPG

Setup
DSC_002734.JPG

I tend to start training branches out horizontally straight away. Then as soon as she hits the node Im topping at, she gets it on a tiny scale.
Your method of training will give you a very crowded girl, for your space. Its not a style Ive ever done with an auto, so I cant say for sure if it would work well. Yet in my humble opinion thats a lot of training for an auto.
Autos seem to like to be left alone for the most part. Heavy training and they can go H!!! So by all means go for it and see, just try to be gentle as you punish them! :)

I tend to start training branches out horizontally straight away. Then as soon as she hits the node Im topping at, she gets it on a tiny scale.
Your method of training will give you a very crowded girl, for your space. Its not a style Ive ever done with an auto, so I cant say for sure if it would work well. Yet in my humble opinion thats a lot of training for an auto.
Autos seem to like to be left alone for the most part. Heavy training and they can go H!!! So by all means go for it and see, just try to be gentle as you punish them! :)

Alright, maybe i'll just tie them down a bit. I really want to do something as easy and "child-proof" as possible this first time. Btw it looks like the two ladies are having a good time :)

Cheers!

White Haze
White_Haze1.JPG

Northern Lights
Northern_Lights18.JPG

1 week after germination
Love how the Northern Lights is growing. It was planted 1 day later, but it is the biggest one now :)

Northern Lights
Plant261.jpg

White Haze
Plant163.jpg

2 weeks after germination

So it has been nearly 2 weeks since the seeds were planted. They are growing fast now and starting to smell a bit.
Would now be a good time to start some simple LST? The WH does seam to have some yellow leaves? Any ideas what this is?

White Haze
WH.jpg

Northern Lights
NL49.jpg

Ok starting LST is dependent on which style of training you want? I start my stuff this young but my ways are a little extreme perhaps :) (check my quick guide to fluxing)
As for the yellowed leaves on you girl, is she next to a fan, or air supply/outtake? Whats the humidity like? The little single blade leaves will drop off anyway as the plant matures. I get this kind of thing occasionally with my babes. Its normally environmental for me. I dont worry or fuss to much as they tend to grow out of it. Just keep an eye on it and if it isn't the environment then its probs PH related is all.

Ok starting LST is dependent on which style of training you want? I start my stuff this young but my ways are a little extreme perhaps :) (check my quick guide to fluxing)
As for the yellowed leaves on you girl, is she next to a fan, or air supply/outtake? Whats the humidity like? The little single blade leaves will drop off anyway as the plant matures. I get this kind of thing occasionally with my babes. Its normally environmental for me. I dont worry or fuss to much as they tend to grow out of it. Just keep an eye on it and if it isn't the environment then its probs PH related is all.

Thank you for your reply! Much appreciated! :) I think I want some simple and easy LST, just to make sure the plants will fit inside the case.

Yes, she was next to a small fan, but I tried moving it a bit and it did not help. The humidity is around 40% before watering and around 60% after watering. I water every third day atm, when the soil feels dry. The temperature is around 28C/82.4F. No nutrients added.

Double Shot
DSC_013010.JPG

Yellowed leaves
DSC_012710.JPG
DSC_01288.JPG

3 weeks old

Hi guys! I just wanted to post an update...its been a few days.
The ladies are doing good, at least it looks like that to me. The Northern Lights is really dense and have a deep dark green color to it. It smells amazing; deep and earthy! I started doing some simple LST, where I just tied the tops down a bit to make room for the small branches that are coming all over the place.

I've been worried about the increasing smell, so I created a carbon filter from two PC fans, some pvp tubing and 2 PC fan grills. I'm still fine tuning since a cant seem to completely clear the smell. I currently use about 3cm of granular activated carbon, but I suspect that I do not get enough airflow. I'll try to see if using pellets will solve the issue.

DSC_01489.JPG

DSC_01568.JPG

Back
Top Bottom