Advanced LED vs TopLED Side By Side Comparison - Hawaiian Snow & Blueberry

Crawdaddy

Hi Everyone! and Welcome!

This is a journal dedicated to a side by side comparison of two LED panels.

I have decided that LED is superior to HID lighting, for me at least. So then the question I want answered becomes, what is best panel for the growing of marijuana. With all these wild claims/variance in price I feel this is a question where the whole growing community could benefit from a good answer.

I have decided to test two panels from two manufacturers that many have had good results with, but with wide variation in price. One of the key questions is are the more expensive 'USA' panels worth the extra price. Of course there are other considerations, like supporting home based products (even though many 'USA' panels still made in China) and good service with warranty/etc. But those questions or more subjective, I am going to base my conclusions in this on sheer performance with my own opinion on the other subjective factors(those are for each individual to decide).

The price difference is LARGE, here are two contenders...

On the left side....A TopLED 96X3 W Reflector series, 96-3W diodes draw power 170-200 W(from Reflector LED Grow Light - Led Grow Lights) --- $176.39/each

On the right Side ... An Advanced LED DS 200, 100-3w Diodes, draw power 185 W(from NEW - Diamond Series LEDs - Extreme 3w LED Technology - Advanced LED Grow Lights) $545.00 each

The DS200 has about 2-3 more months of on time then the Top LED. but with quoted lifespan numbers that should not matter much.

The two plants are ....

in the front - Hawaiian Snow grown from clone, growin 'Capn Style' in rockwool chunks, I been having issues with keeping pH stable so she not looking the best yet, but I think I about got it.

in the back - a Blueberry clone, she is really starting to grow well after transpanting into the 5 gal smart pot about 5 days back, she was root bound in previous pot. She is in a Pro Mix HP with ancient forest and dolomite lime mix.

The grow space is a 3'X3' Gorilla Grow tent, with a 'ghetto' light divider made of a foam insualtion sheet with foil on each side. I have tried to make the only difference in the two sides the light, hence two plants 'split' by divider. Not the cleanest set up but should work.

I am using a custom white balance setting on all my shots..

Full_shoot.jpg

96X3 Reflector side It seems a little more red/green then the DS200 side..

Top_LED_.jpg

The DS 200 side, seems a bit more 'blue'

ADvanced_LED.jpg

Well let us hope I find some good info in this test.

Enjoy the Show!

Re: Advanced LED vs TopLED side by side comparison Hawaiian Snow and Brainstorm

Good luck! Do you have any stats on the ratios of light? 660/630nm, 480/450 nm, warm/cool white, 730nm ir? I suppose the manufacturer could say but thought you may know off hand. Thanks!

Awesome job :thumb: I'm subbed

Thanks, not as clean as your set up, but should do the trick :) (if i get my pH right)

Good luck! Do you have any stats on the ratios of light? 660/630nm, 480/450 nm, warm/cool white, 730nm ir? I suppose the manufacturer could say but thought you may know off hand. Thanks!

I would juts refer you to their website, links in previous post with light description.

I know TopLED's ratios but I'm not sure of the Advanced LED's ratios. I'm not sure if Sara wants that information to be public, so it's best if we let her answer that.

It has some stuff on their website.

I need to start thinking of what characteristics to judge differences in plant growth side to side, if any. Not sure if i can score, but just a descriptive comparison of that growth feature on each side.

List of top of my head, anyone feel free to comment/add..

1. Internode length
2. Stem thickness/color
3. fan leaf health
4. Bud density
5. bud smell
6. bud size
7. bud shape
8. trich density

Might be too many, but looking for thoughts...

:bravo: This should be fun.

You might also consider vigor as a characteristic to rate as well (maybe an A, B, C, scale). I realize it's subjective, but easy enough to trust folks around here. I like all the things on your list too. If it can be measured, measure it. Relevance can be determined afterwards. ;)

I need to start thinking of what characteristics to judge differences in plant growth side to side, if any. Not sure if i can score, but just a descriptive comparison of that growth feature on each side.
Water usage is an easy observation and decent gauge of many things.

:bong::popcorn::reading420magazine::tokin: subbed, :high-five::peace:

Remember that a large amount of the phytochrome responses are not required to be at the source (it can travel through the plant stems and root system)... therefore the wavelengths used on one side of the plant may be adding the other side. Biomass per side might be one thing to measure.

Remember that a large amount of the phytochrome responses are not required to be at the source (it can travel through the plant stems and root system)... therefore the wavelengths used on one side of the plant may be adding the other side. Biomass per side might be one thing to measure.

So what you are saying is since the plants share root systems, it is conceivable that one half of the plant could 'transfer' the extra energy from 'missing' wavelengths from one side to the other? That sounds kind of crazy to me.

So what you are saying is since the plants share root systems, it is conceivable that one half of the plant could 'transfer' the extra energy from 'missing' wavelengths from one side to the other? That sounds kind of crazy to me.
Yes, he is saying that. I didnt notice the one pot/2 sides. While its a cool experiment and likely will show some results, its not a very clean experiment as the plant shares many bioprocessing throughout the plant. Water uptake, phytochrome response, hormone sharing ... the plant will try to balance itself somewhat which will skew the results.

Back
Top Bottom