OregonGrow's Top LED Mars II Grow light Soil Experiment - 2014

OregonGrows

Hi we are OregonGrows and welcome to our first grow journal! We have been growing for the past couple years and are constantly trying new ideas. I first want to thank everyone for posting your journals here as they have been extremely helpful and inspired us to create our own journal to share. Right now we have 4 organic flowering plants in soil in a panda-film tent: Golden Ticket Chernobyl, Timewreck, Blue Magoo, and Ace of Spades. We recently purchased two Mars II 700 Watt LEDs ($300 each) after reading the TOP LED Discount forum, and we also have a 1000 watt HPS. This grow we tried fewer, but bigger plants, 15 gallon cloth root pots, new LEDs, and a new line of soil and fertilizers from a local Eugene store called Oregon's Constant Gardener. Two of our plants are about 2.5 weeks away from harvest and are bigger right now than our previous plants were at harvest. Here's a shot of whats to come:
gardaen_001.JPG

Here’s our light equipment:
LEDs from Top LED arrived within 3 days from payment in a discreet cardboard box packed in styrofoam. No invoice or coupons but impressive shipping speed, and the lights are awesome. No complications, even though the website can seem sketchy with sentences like “See special offer you can save more money” and “Which new items customer want to buy”. Sarah was in contact making sure things went smoothly. It took a while to read through the first Top LED forum, but here’s a summary on the light.

Mars II 700 standard/full spectrum

LED Output Power: 140pcs*5watt = 700watts total. (Replaces 700 watt hps)
Draw Power:300W~380W (The actual wattage draw per diode is lower (2-2.5), because it is better for LED diodes. If it was drawn at 5watt, the diodes will be more easily burned out.)
Dimension:390x380x90mm. 6ft cord. Daisy-chainable. No separate ballasts needed to power the lights. Just plug it in and enjoy how the breakers don’t go off anymore
Voltage: AC85~265V
View Angle of leds: 90° /120 (Small footprint but better light penetration than 3watt light LEDs. Less light lost to the sides of the room. No need for reflective white or mylar walls anymore.)
Lifespan 50,000-100,000hours (Something like 10 years or more. 3 year warranty)
N.W.: 8.7KG G.W.: 10KG (19 or 22 lbs?)
Coverage :3.5'x3.5' Standard
Spectrum: standard/full spectrum: 430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, IR, and white
Standard spectrum= red, blue, white, and infared.

Epistar diodes. Part No: Red:ES-SMBRPN42A (2.2~2.4V), Blue:ES-SMHRPN42B, white and blue is 3.2~3.4V
Heat: about half or less of what the HPS makes.

4_12.jpg

Let me introduce you to the ladies :)

Here’s our Clone Box: these are two fluorescent grow lights about 23 watts each I think and about 8 inches from the dome. We try to keep our cuttings around 78-80 degrees with 80% humidity or higher. We trim the ends of the leaves so they don’t weigh the clone down, and it makes the plant focus more on roots and less on growing leaves. We take 45 degree cuts on the stems, dip the ends in Clonex, and place them in moist root cubes. We don’t spray the leaves. It weighs them down, overwaters the cubes, and creates more mold. Spraying the inside of the dome (repeatedly, so it is always wet) keeps the humidity high so the clones don’t dry out and get embolisms. The toothpicks keep them facing the light and it keeps them from cutting off their own water supply in the event that they wilt over. Also it gives you something to hold onto when you check for roots. The name tags are all dated as well.
0041622.JPG
0061360.JPG
0071285.JPG

Here’s our Veg room:
We obsessively hoard strains for our small area and keep multiple phenos of the same type if they turn out noticeably different (but awesome in its own way). It’s bad sometimes lol…
We have Blue magoo, Timewreck (1-2), Marion berry/Cotton candy (A-D), Cheesequake (1-3), Chernobyl (golden ticket?), Ace of Spades (1-2), Space goat, Purple sour diesel, Strawberry OG, Jiillybean(1-3), Pineapple, Jack Herrer, Blue Cheese, Jaeger, 3rd Dimension (3D) (1-4), Deep purple.
022305.JPG
020361.JPG

All of our plants are vegged out slowly about 2-3 months before we flower them. Small clones are transplanted to double walled cups (a clear one inside of an opaque one) so we can easily check for root formation before transplanting to a bigger pot.
033167.JPG

We use a local organic soil mix with Alaskan Magic compost. It’s bag #4 at the store. I will get the ingredients list in the future. We also use a slow release organic fertilizer called One Shot, only sold from the Constant Gardener locally. Here is the ingredient list: Worm castings, fish meal, fish bone meal, limestone, feather meal, alfalfa meal, soybean meal, mycorrhizae fungi. All this is wrapped in molasses pellets so as you water, the bacteria and yeast eat the molasses, making nutrients available to the plant as it needs it. This is our first time using it. Supposedly it lasts up to 90 days, can’t burn the plant no matter how much you add, and can be reapplied as a top-dressing every two weeks. So far (30 days) the plants look better than when we used aurora liquid nutrients, it’s not messy or stinky, and it’s cheaper and easier to use. I am sure if you are an expert you can get better yields using carefully measured and timed liquid ingredients every few days. For a novice who routinely burns and stunts their plants with liquids, or someone who wants to make a super soil set-it-and-forget-it outdoors type soil, this is a great product.
0021798.JPG

Problems: Our plants did get powdery mildew at one point when we were moving and neglected them. It’s systemic so you can never get rid of it. We control it with rotating fans, humidity below 50%, and Organicide (fish and sesame oil). It has bad reviews online but I love it. I prefer the fish smell to the neem and it goes away after a few days. It doesn’t burn or dry out the leaves as much as neem, so I can spray more often if a plant needs it. Also, when I used to use neem and I touched the plant afterward, I would get itchy bumps on my hands. I don’t get that anymore. I have even used it 3 days before harvesting on a plant. I didn’t notice a fish smell but we wash our fresh buds in food grade hydrogen peroxide (H202) and baking soda before drying anyway. No fishy smell. I have heard that Sulfer burns will coat your room and plants to keep PM away. I might try it in the future on our room, but not on our plants.
031180.JPG

Here’s our Flower room: Plants are 1.5ft from the lights. That's closer than the 2-3ft recommended but they look healthy, not bleached. We will just have to see what our yields are in the end. We have a dehumidifier to keep humidity below 50%. We bought LEDs to reduce the temperature in the room on hot days. Our average temps are 75-82. While it helps, we don’t yet have the funds to go all LED or get air conditioning. Luckily our climate doesn’t get too hot but temperatures on hot days have spiked at 92 before. We occasionally run CO2 to our entire garage a couple weeks at a time. It’s not super concentrated or regulated that way but you can still tell the plants love it. They get tons of new green shoots and the humidity increases noticeably as photosynthesis increases and the plants breathe water out of their stomata. Too much of a humidity spike seems to bring PM so we don’t use much CO2 and turn up the dehumidifier when we do.
magical_gardaen_042.JPG
magical_gardaen_040.JPG
026246.JPG

This is Blue Magoo and she was vegged out slowly somewhere between 2 and 3 months before flowering. Right now she has been flowering about 5.5 weeks and has around 2 weeks left to go. This plant has been grown using Aurora’s Roots Organic nutrients and 707 soil. Already showing some color change. The flash made it look way more yellow than it really is. It's almost all green.
magical_gardaen_005.JPG
gardaen_001.JPG
131105.JPG
13624.JPG
13921.JPG

This is Ace of Spades 1 and she was put in flower the same day as Blue Magoo. It started showing flowers at day 7. This plant was also grown with aurora nutrients and soil before we made the switch.
12534.JPG
116110.JPG
032169.JPG

This is Timewreck 1 and she has been flowering for 3 weeks. Showed flowers at day 9. A light liquid feed (aurora) combined with the slow release One Shot fertilizer did burn it a bit but not bad.
06156.JPG
06045.JPG
06343.JPG

This is Chernobyl This is our first time flowering it. We got the seeds from someone with awesome plants who said it was golden ticket. It’s possible this is space goat, and our space goat is the golden ticket. We will see. Only a taste test will tell as we have had lime sherbet Chernobyl before. It has only been in flower for 5 days and is already showing calyxes everywhere. Its stalk is massive and it has vigorous growth and PM resistance so I really don’t care what it is. It’s a keeper! This is also using soil #4 and One Shot.
magical_gardaen_018.JPG
magical_gardaen_033.JPG
magical_gardaen_034.JPG

Thanks for looking! We are novice growers and still learning new things. Hate to admit it but previous grows have yielded an average of 2oz per plant under HPS. They were small and stressed and we didn't know what we were doing lol. Everyone has to start somewhere. Our plants this round have surpassed those so far that its almost blasted them out of memory already. I am loving these LEDs. Feel free to post constructive criticism, ask questions, make requests, or just stop by and say hi. Trolls are only welcome as long as they are funny about it. Ill keep all of you updated with lots of pictures of the plants and the bubble hash and shatter we will make when they are done. We have a lot of seeds to try out in the future as well, such as 9lb hammer, Conspiracy Kush, Jack the Ripper, and Cuvee (pinot noir x space queen)

Here's Blue Magoo. She is a fast finisher (7 weeks) and didn't change that much from the first set of pictures. This picture was taken the day it was cut down. It's only a medium producer to begin with, but I consider this one of the best plants we own. It really does turn blue in cold temperatures and the smell and flavor is powerful. After it was cut down we washed it in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water with 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup lemon juice, and then rinsed it off in a bucket of cold water. It doesn't break the trichomes or cause mold. It enhances smell, color, and the smoothness of the smoke.
112121.jpg
0031732.jpg

Here's Ace of spades. I reposted the earlier picture next to the new one so you can see just how much its filled out. It's coming down tomorrow for a total of 8 weeks.
13720.jpg

Here's Timewreck. This is an 8-9 week plant. This would be about week 4 for it.
07029.jpg

Here's Golden Ticket Chernobyl (unconfirmed). This plant grows so strange. The pistils are short and the base of the flowers pretty large in comparison. Most of our plants put out pistils and then swell, this one swells and then shows pistils. Its at week 2 now. This is an 8-9 week plant as well.
08n5.jpg

Heres another update:
Blue Magoos final nugget weight was 1.85 oz not counting trim. Using One Shot fertilizer has made these nugs the smoothest Ive ever tasted. Not harsh at all, even before curing.
0011822.JPG

Heres Ace of spades mostly dried out. Final weight was 2.5 oz and about 1oz of trim. These were the last two plants we had in ten gallon pots. All the rest are in 15 gallon pots and were vegged longer.
017474.JPG

021348.JPG

We put Marion berry A in a few days ago. This pheno is the most purple and frosty that we have. It doesn't look that special until the final product is cut and dried. The first time we grew it, our friends said if they had our plant, they would cut down everything else and just keep this one. We grew it in the winter, lets see how purple it gets in the summer. This plant is more susceptible to pm than the others. We've been spraying it once a week to keep it in check.
040115.JPG

Heres Chernobyl about week 3. It has a bready smell to it like lambsbread and doesnt look like the Chernobyl we used to have. I think Im going to start calling it space goat instead. Our space goat must be the Chernobyl. We were worried it was growing too slow but now it looks like its gaining speed. We started feeding it with a vegan nutrient by dragonfly called fat flowers. This is the first time we have used this. Here's a picture and ingredients list. So far, it hasn't burned the plants at all
027228.JPG

027223.JPG
028227.JPG

Heres Timewreck week 6. Its got 2 weeks to go. We are now watering them about 2 gallons each every other day.
01n3.jpg

I took these pictures today, and they are 8 days from the last post. 7 days ago, Marionberry A and Space Goat got a light feed of dragonfly nutrients. We started watering the plants more and they are showing some impressive growth from the previous week. We put in a new plant, Marionberry pheno C yesterday.
016527.JPG
018420.JPG

Marionberry A was tall to begin with but has stretched quite a bit as well. Its at 15 days.
023285.JPG
021349.JPG

Space Goat is only at 4 weeks and almost rivaling the timewreck now! No joke, it smells just like pizza.
04n3.jpg
121120.JPG

Timewreck is at week 7 and probably has 1 week left to go. Looking amazing.
124100.JPG

Despite all the changes we've made lately to get better yields, we have still been getting our low average of 2oz per plant. Our quality has gotten a lot better, the plants look healthy and beautiful, but yields still need to come up. We consulted our mentor, a grower with 10+ years experience. This grower has been getting 6-11oz per plant from clones of our strains. Same genetics, same temperature range, same size pots, organic soil and nutrients, plants vegged to about the same size. Come to find out, the only significant difference between our methods is that this grower gives them more than twice as much water. *palm to forehead* He does about 5 gallons of water per plant every 3-4 days and we were doing 1.5-2. It totally makes sense. These plants are going to start getting a lot more water now.

Heres some picture updates. Plants just got fed with dragonfly yesterday. Space Goat was given the most food.
Heres timewreck in the dryer box. Im guessing this one will come out to 2.5 oz.
09323.JPG

Marionberry C has been in flower for 10 days now.
029205.JPG

Marionberry A is at week 3.5 and getting some reeally long hairs.
013702.JPG

Space goat is at week 5 and is still bulking up nicely. It has a really unique smell. fresh bread, fresh cut pumpkin, spaghetti sauce, and a bit of skunk.
06638.JPG

Allo!, just wanted to share our latest thoughts on our gardening methods. First, we tried watering our plants more and found that the maximum our soil can hold at any one time is 3 gallons. Im not sure how our friend was getting them 4-5 gallons of water at a time unless the runoff was included, but our plants are completely consuming 3 gallons every other day now. That's more than double what we used to give them.

Here is a picture of two nuggets. The one on the left was grown by our friend, and the one on the right was grown by us. Our friend does grow bigger nugs than us :) However, the point I was trying to make with this picture is to show that not only is there a size difference, but you can see that our buds look well, dryer and more compact I guess. I think our friend's bud looks more hydrated, plump, and has more trichs. Why is that? First, we wondered if our drying process was happening too fast and shriveling up our nugs. This time, we only had the fan on in our drying box for about 24 hours instead of the entire time, but our buds still look the same. Now we are wondering if the difference was caused by a lifetime of underwatering, and maybe underfeeding them. We are still testing their limits on these new nutrients. Our main focus will be on watering for now. After we see the effects of that we may or may not increase their food too. Does anyone know if underwatering could stress a plant and make it more susceptible to PM?
018421.JPG

We also started a blog of our first outdoor grow with supersoil too. I linked it in my signature and heres another one
OregonGrow's Secret Magical Garden Supersoil Scrog Outdoor 2014

Things just keep looking better!
Heres the newest addition to the flower room: Sour Apple (NY Sour Diesel x Pure Kush)
017479.JPG

Marionberry C is at week 3.5
019375.JPG

\
112122.JPG

Marionberry A is at week 5.5
018424.JPG
12730.JPG

Space Goat is at week 7.5 and massive. Theres about 20 large colas, not to mention all the medium to small ones. It has about 60% red hairs and cloudy trichomes. It should be done by saturday. I had to tie the nugs up for the 5th time because they are so heavy.
edited_030.jpg
10543.jpg

Hi everyone thanks for following this journal. The space goat ended up being almost exactly 4 oz and about 1 oz of trim. Very frosty. I think this underscores the importance of genetics. Our marionberry is more of a connoisseur strain and will probably come out to 2.5 oz when its done drying even though it got the same treatment of the space goat. As much fun as this is, I think I am going to end this journal here. It takes a lot of time to keep up with it and take nice pictures and we all could use more time in our lives. Thanks for looking, and hopefully we contributed something useful to the community. Best of luck to you all!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us, OregonGrows.
Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :tokin:

I'm moving this to Completed Journals now.

Feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.
Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine :yummy:

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom