Nyhm's Indoor Soil Bag Seed Journal 2014

Nyhm Reaper

I will give a run down of what Im using and doing and then pick up from the start of the grow...

The strain is unknown. From what I can tell from the leaves it is Indica... I had about 10 seeds in a baggie that had been saved for a very long time. It could be a seed from some very good medical grade or it could be a seed from what we refer to as Reggie. (none medical im kinda broke dirt weed) If it was from the latter then there had to be a reason why I saved the seed but I cant remember for the life of me.

This is an Indoor closet grow done mostly with CFLs except for the seedling stage which was under a 4ft warm 40W shop light.

Im not using any fancy equipment to tell me PH, humidity or moisture of the soil. Only temps.

My girl is currently starting week 9 of 12/12 but the journal will cover further back. She is in a mix of various soils that I got when my neighbor cleaned out his garage. Miracle grow potting mix, Sta-Green mix and a cotton burr compost. Not sure of exact % to mix, just checked out what was in each and then mixed accordingly.

They were all started in solo cups. Only 1 survived a cold front and she was moved to a 1 gal pot. I let her grow too much and roots began to come out of the bottom of the pot so I moved her to a 3 gal pot a week AFTER starting 12/12. The next grow long term grow will be a flux training and will be started in the 5 gal that it will live in. I learned my lesson on that...

With watering and nutes I have been going more by what I see instead of a set schedule. I started out using the miracle grow concentrate packs 24 - 8 - 16. I know most people shy away from MG and for good reason I suppose but this grow was done with what was on hand at the time and that is what I had. By the time I got to 12/12 I had invested in Jacks Classic Bloom Booster 10 - 30 - 20 for flowering. I did start out using the MG and the Bloom Booster at 50% strength and then went up from there. I have found so far that this specific plant prefers her nutes at about 75% but I would make an uneducated guess that every plant would be different. I also only use nutes every other watering.

Here are a few pics of her through-out the grow
day-55-003.jpg

DSCN058510.JPG

DSCN058411.JPG

day-32-001.jpg

DSCN058311.jpg

Ok NOW that we have an idea of the process I will detail the progress...

The seeds were germinated around Feb 1st. Dont have an exact date. They were germinated in water first then in a wet napkin before going into the soil. They were in a cabinet in the laundry room at first and we had a cold front come through that did not last as long as it was supposed to. I had heat on them and before I could get back to them it had warmed up. I opened the cab door and they were all dead except for 1.

VEG -

Once she got about 3 - 4 inches tall I transplanted her into a 2 ltr bottle. At this time I converted the center of an old entertainment center into a 2 1/2' x 1 1/2' x 3' (WxDxH) with a 25W mini floro and a 15W grow light with foil used for reflectivity. Not much I know but I didnt understand lumens at that time. I had the plant raised up so she was only 3" from the light and she began to grow again. Over the next 2 weeks she grew 5" - 6" so I transplanted her into a 1 gal pot and began constructing my first actual grow box. During this time the light schedule was 24/0.

The first grow box was 2 x 2 x 4 and lined with windshield reflector. It also had both In and Ex fans. She stayed in that for about a week when I realized that the closet I built in had limited options and ventilation. This is when I invested some $$. Two 5 packs of the 23W CFLs, 5 pack of 13W CFLs, 2 40W CFLs, a 16x25 roll of reflectix and enough wood to build a shelving type grow area inside a larger closet. The new box had different chambers including a 2 x 2 x 4 chamber for flowering. A 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 adjustable height chamber for the clones in a small DIY cloner, a veg station and a top shelf for seedlings. The top shelf is lite by the 4' shop light I stole from the laundry room.

Once I got everything built and got the lights mounted she went into the flowering chamber for her last 3 weeks of veg to give her some extra light. That chamber has the lights above as well as around the sides for better penetration of light. During the last 3 weeks of veg she was on 4/20 dark/light except for the last 3 days which were 6/18. On March 26th the lights were flipped to 12/12. I watered once more with plain water before switching to the bloom booster food.

VEG TRAINING -

I topped her once when I transplanted her into the 1 gal pot and then topped each of those once they had grown to the first node. SO I had a Y that both split off into a Y. The bottom 2 branches also grew enough to catch up to the top 4 so I have 6 colas all about even. other than that I really didnt experiment with much training on this one. The nest grows will have much more training.

Flowering -

After a week or so of 12/12 I began to see a couple white pistils, slow at first but after a few more days she was really starting to sprout pistils and the growth spurt hit. I needed to trim her down some so I took a few clones on fed 12th but that is a different story. I also transplanted her on the 12th due to roots emerging from the bottom holes. I expected all that to stunt her for a week at least but it seemed to do just the opposite. Obviously I have no proof of this but I saw major growth over the next week and a half. I suspect I just got lucky.

Flowering for me was the slowest process. It seemed like nothing was happening then all of a sudden there would be major changes and then seemingly nothing again. About week 6 is when the colas really started fattening up. In the 3 weeks since all the top colas have continued to get thicker and more dense. Currently we are beginning week 9, lots of cloudy trichs, 1 or 2 amber, about 30% red pistils. Gonna give her another day or so and Im harvesting half the plant and then gonna harvest the other half a week or so later. Im attempting to get 2 diff types of med from the same plant.

This is my first journal so please be patient. I hope I was able to give all the important details. This grow is more of an experiment than anything.

Update on progress... She is on day 64 of 12/12. Fed her the last nutes on May 15th, Flushed on the 20th, just water now waiting for some amber to harvest. Took some pics today but I have forgotten how to take pics I guess, cant seem to get good clear ones anymore.

flower-day-64-005.jpg

flower-day-64-004.jpg

flower-day-64-003.jpg

flower-day-64-002.jpg

flower-day-64-001.jpg

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Citation
I also transplanted her on the 12th due to roots emerging from the bottom holes. I expected all that to stunt her for a week at least but it seemed to do just the opposite. Obviously I have no proof of this but I saw major growth over the next week and a half. I suspect I just got lucky.

I always trim my roots when repotting, and giving them a good massage (this is way more stressing for the Auto's and not advisable imo) But root trimming have major effect on new plant growth above ground if done proberly, even if it stuns the lady for a couple of days. A lot of airholes along the sites of your pots will also prevent spiral root occurring. roots grow towards non airholed sites because soil will stay moist the longest at the sites do to no roots taping the water from the soil out there and roots seek the water thereby making the spiral effect.

well just wanted to add that to your repotting observations :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom