Raisingcain's First Grow With Pics

raisingcain

What strains is it? Not sure

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Not sure

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 3 seeds started 3 weeks ago from germination, 1 plant given as a gift so not sure

If in Veg... For how long? 3 weeks.

If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A.

Indoor or outdoor? outdoor

Soil or Hydro? Soil

If soil... what is in your mix? 1 in the ground, 2 in plain ol potting soil, 1 in happy frog

If soil... What size pot? 1 in the ground, 3 in 6 inch pots

Size of light?
The sun is freaking huge not really sure :)

Is it aircooled? on a breezy day

Temp of Room/cab? Colorado weather changes daily

RH of Room/cab? .

PH of media or res? 7.0

Any Pests ? not yet

How often are you watering? I expect to water 2-3 times/week.

Type and strength of nutes used -1 in the ground 1/2 strength age old grow and some blood meal from fish, 3 little ones nothing yet
20140529_070601.jpg
20140529_070549.jpg
20140529_070439.jpg
20140529_070419.jpg

Hey everyone. This is my first time growing so please feel free to chime in and help a guy out.

Heres some descriptions

The plant in the ground was given to me by a neighbor for helping him out. Not sure how old it is but I have had it for 3 1/2 weeks. The first few days it stayed inside with me in a window planter box because we had a late freeze in Colorado. It was in some decent soil it had some perlite and some peat in it not sure what else but it drained well.
Not knowing what I was doing I mixed up some sheep and peat compost with top soil and dug out a 4x4 spot in my raspberry garden and threw it in there with a small dose of root stimulator. I kicked myself after doing a $hit-ton of reading and research.
The plant was struggling for a few days. Some of the leaves were getting very light colored and some had some browning on the edges. I applied a tablespoon of bloodmeal to it and so far it seems to be doing better. Just went out this morning and noticed new growth and greener color. I also topped it while I was out there. Watering every 2-3 days.

I plan on leaving this one in the ground and giving it some age old grow while in veg and age old bloom and Big Bud when in flower.

I got 3 seeds from another neighbor and threw them in some regular potting soil. ( I realized EVERYONE in my court smokes or grows!!)
Decided to transplant 1 into some Happy Frog soil 5 days ago because it wasnt growing at the rate the other ones were. Doing better so far. Havent given any nutrients to these ladies (hopefully) yet just water every 2-3 days.
I have a soil mixture thats been cooking for about 2 and half weeks sitting outside to transplant in about 10 days that consists of...........
Happy Frog Soil
Bat Guano (High N)
Real Worm Castings
Bloodmeal
BoneMeal
Rock Phosphate
Humic Acid
Dolomite

I plan on transplanting the 3 seedlings into 5 gallon buckets that are filled with 3/8s soil mixture listed above and 5/8s Happy Frog. Then hopefully all I have to do is water throughout its life cycle.

My neighbor is an older gentleman and has been growing for a while and this is what he suggested. Every fall my entire cul-de-sac smells wonderful and the smoke has been tasty so I took his word for it.

Feel free to comment I plan on posting new pics every Thursday.
Thanks for the Help Im gonna need it!!!!!

Its Sunday and I had to leave town for a bit. My little ones have taken really well to the increased temp we have had in Colorado been in the high 70's low 80's the last few days. I got really antsy about leaving town for 3 days so I went ahead and transplanted my seedlings into my super soil mixture.
I gotta say they look great in 5 gallon pots cant wait to come home Tuesday and see if anything has happened.
I admit I have first timers syndrome because I check my plants every few hours when Im at home to make sure they havent been interrupted by high wind or have any bugs on em. Itll be cool to see how much they have grown after 3 days of not checking em out. I need to quit acting like an over protective mother ha!
Still not giving my older plant any nutes yet havent seen any signs of it needing any.
Kinda nervous about transplanting the littleones into my hot soil mixture even if the majority of added nutes are at the botttom but hey if it works then awesome, if not i will have taught myself a valuable lesson. Just made my first seed bank purchase, I got some Carmelo feminized seeds cant wait til they come!!! Headed to HTG Supply in Commerce City wednesday when I get back to check on a grow tent complete set up for my garage to keep things rolling on. Loving this new hobby, keeps my mind entertained and lowers my stress immensly!!!!

I have a question can anyone help?
First......
The plant in the ground has only received a small amount of age old grow about 2 and a half weeks ago. I noticed some browning at the leafs tips and suspected nute burn so I havent given anything to it but water since. However the newest leaves are showing the same signs. What else can I do other than skip the nutes for a while?? Also I topped this plant 5 days ago and 2 more leaves are beginning to form right around the spot where I topped. Is this normal? I was hoping the stems on each side of where I removed the new growth would strengthen and branch out??
Also I just transplanted the 3 little guys into larger pots. I wasnt careful enough with 2 of them and some of the roots broke off. They are gonna b ok I think because they have small signs of new growth but the one that was transplanted perfectly is doing amazing, it loves the new soil and pot. You can really see the contrast between them though. Is there anything I can do to get the other 2 that werent transplanted properly up to speed?? Or do I just need to relax and let it do its thing??? Pics to come tomorrow.

ADVICE FOR OTHER FIRST TIME GROWERS!!!!!
Dont transplant right after watering!! Let them sit for just a while to make sure the excess water drains. Otherwise the soil will be a little clumpy and stick to the sides of the pots which will cause roots to rip when you try to pull the plant, soil and pot apart.
I took a pair of bandage scissors that have the protective edge on them and cut directly from the top of the pot to the bottom on adjacent sides so I was able to literally pull the pot apart before removing the root ball. This made it much easier to transplant.

its June 14 and my seedlings arent seedlings anymore!! Theyre about 5 weeks old and are taking off. The growth stunt on the 2 that were transplanted poorly have made a full recovery IMO and the one transplanted correctly is getting much bigger.
The one in the ground hasnt grown vertically much but is starting to get more growth along the main stem. I suspect this probably because of the dirt it is in. There isnt much of anything to help it breathe. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
Been doing some reading on Low Stress Training (LST) and was curious if it is possible to start this or if I should wait. All in all having a great time!!
2014-06-11_06_42_46.jpg
2014-06-14_11_47_59.jpg
2014-06-14_11_48_10.jpg
2014-06-14_11_48_14.jpg

So yesterday I went to the local nursery and bought some pesticides because I finally was fed up seeing all the little creepy crawlies all over my kids' leaves and some new nutes as well I thought looked interesting.
I asked an older, conservative looking woman what type of pesticide I should buy. She replied " what are you growing?" I smiled and happily said " CANNABIS!" To my surprise she blushed and giggled a little bit and said "might as well reap the benefits of living in Colorado". It felt pretty good to hear this sweet little old ladys acceptance, its about time!!!!
She told me to get "Natural Guard Neem Oil" so I did and I MADE SURE I APPLIED IT AT DUSK WHEN IT WAS COOLING OFF OUTSIDE SO IT WOULD NOT BURN MY PLANTS' LEAVES BECAUSE IT IS OIL BASED AND WILL BURN THEM UNDER HIGH HEAT!!!!. It worked great !!! zero bugs this am !!!!!
I also watered the 3 potted plants with 3/4 gallon of distilled water with 1 tablespoon of the new fert I bought "Botanicare Pure Blend Metabolic Grow" and 1 tablespoon of "Age Old Grow" per GALLON of water. The plants responded well. They look bigger than they did lastnight so I think I made them happy!!!
This is the first time I have ever grown ANYTHING so I am attempting as many different things I can to gain experience so I "attempted" LST on the plant in the ground and to 1 of the plants in the pot. Not sure if I did it right though. The one in the ground has some serious growth all the way down the main stalk so it looks pretty good I guess.
ALSO!!! I think my prize plant (the biggest one) is a female because I think I see some little white hairs starting to peek out!!!! Check it out and tell what you think.
Next update will be on Saturday the 21st!! Happy Growing!!!

High there,

Good start,

Couple things to help ya:

Soil mix you made looks good, should let cook for at least 30 days next time.
Seedlings and clones like mellow, blood meal is HOT and should be use sparingly, if at all on top of your containers. Blood meal is a great amendment when cooked into your soil. U can top dress with it a little if u feel u need to, but be careful. If want to top dress with worm castings once a month, the plants love that.
Also, try a mulch layer, it will benefit your grow there.
Oh and also, I'd try to not do any transplanting of wet OR moist pots. Let them dry out and need a watering before ya transplant, then transplant and water.
And lastly, Easy does it, u made a good soil mix and that should probably take care of things.

Looks like a good start. I take it they are regular seeds and your waiting to see of they are male or female. I did mine sexing indoors, your welcome to look at the journal. Summer solstice is Saturday in the Northern Hemisphere so if you have plants outside they should be telling you what they are soon I would venture to say. :rollit:

Thanks for the advice!
I am heading to the shop today to get some mulch.

Yeah I am not sure what strain these plants area at all. I gave my neighbor some flagstone for his garden and he brought me a 2-3 week old plant, 3 seeds and a jar of his harvested smoke :) (I love neighbors)
The only info he gave me about the strain was that he grew one of the same seeds last year outdoor and it ended up being about 9 feet tall, crazy thing is he didnt even use any amended soil he just threw some chicken manure in reg garden soil and watered it.
We are competing this year to see who can grow the tallest plant. If I win he is going to prepare my ventilation system for my indoor grow I am going to start soon. I he wins I have to do his taxes for free next year :)

Back
Top Bottom