MaxYield's Second Soil Journal - Strawberry Diesel - CFL Veg & LED Flower

MaxYields

Hey 420magazine.com!

Before we get going: Thank you so much to everyone apart of this wonderful community, I wouldn't know... 95% of the things I know about growing if it wasn't for this website. Everyone here is so welcoming and knowledgeable, so kudos to you all, keep up the good work, and mad props to the owners/moderators/etc!

Also! I don't expect this journal to get too much attention over the next few weeks... I have just switched my current three ladies (Warlock, Berry Garcia, and Alien Dawg) to flower... that journal can be found here. I am not completely sure what direction I am going to go with this journal... but I have an idea of what I would like to do.

Shout out to Seraphim for hooking me up with a beautiful High-Brix Strawberry Diesel clone.

:: THE JOURNAL ::

Strawberry Diesel
  • Hybrid, Sativa Dominant. (70% Sativa 30% Indica)
- Strawberry Cough (Strawberry Fields x Haze) x NYC Diesel (Original Diesel x DNL)​

• Currently Vegging
-Started January 3, 2015.​

General Information
  • Indoor.
  • Soil;
-2 parts FoxFarm Happy Frog Potting Soil​
-2 parts FoxFarm Ocean Forrest Potting Soil​
-1 part Perlite​
-1 tablespoon Dolomite Lime PER gallon of soil mixture.​

• Originally gifted to me in a Solo Cup.
-Will transplant into 3-gallon Smart Pot this coming Thursday.​
-Will transplant into 7-gallon Smart Pot two weeks after that.​

• Vegging under my DIY CFL Light Hood.
-Seven 23W 6500k CFL light bulbs.​
-Two 23W 2700k CFL light bulbs.​
-One 26W 2700k CFL light bulb.​
-It is not air-cooled.​
  • Flowering under two Mars-Hydro LED Grow Lights.
-Two 400W Full-Spectrum Mars II LED Grow Lights​

• Temperatures ::
-Daytime: 78*​
-Nighttime: 66*​
  • Humidities ::
-Daytime: 45%​
-Nighttime: 60%​

• PH currently unknown. PH/PPM tester on the way.
  • No Pests or Parasites!
  • Watering every Sunday and Thursday.
-Plain Denver Tap Water feedings on Thursday.​
-Nutrient feedings on Sunday.​

• Nutrients.
-None in Veg.​
-FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Trio & Water-Soluble Nutrient Trio (Strength adjusted depending on stage of Flowering).​
-Pure Blend Pro Cal-Mag Plus when needed.​
-Super-Thrive to de-stress plants during transplant & photoperiod changes.​
-Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses for Flush.​

• Strain Overview.
-This cross between NYC Diesel and Strawberry Cough is a true hybrid. Providing consumers with a well-balanced experience, Strawberry Diesel relaxes your muscles while creating an energizing, clear-headed sensation. If you're looking for help with insomnia and would like to get things done, Strawberry Diesel may be your perfect match. Great for both daytime and nighttime use, this strain is incredibly versatile. Novice consumers should be cautious with it, however, as it is fast-acting and intense. Great for indoor growing, Strawberry Diesel tends to flower between 9 and 10 weeks. Taking after both of its parents, this strain also features a fruity scent while providing a thick, diesel-like taste.​

Here are some pictures of the baby as of Yesterday (first day in Veg).

IMG_29438.jpg
IMG_29457.jpg

Thats it for now everyone! Will be posting updates about once a week while this little lady is in Veg... I think I am just going to Veg her for some stupid amount of time like 6 weeks or so and try for a massive plant. I don't know, a lot could change...

Hope all of your gardens are Green and Lush with Life!

Day_420.jpg

I do, mine are only 5 day seedlings but have even changed over night. I will post a pic from two days ago. Also, is this your first grow ever? How old are your ladies?

Day_420.jpg

I do, mine are only 5 day seedlings but have even changed over night. I will post a pic from two days ago. Also, is this your first grow ever? How old are your ladies?

Very nice! I'll make sure to stop by.

And no this will be my second Journal and my third-ish grow. My first grow journal can be found here. Before those plants I had grown a Banana Kush and a Chocolate Chunk plant outside from clones.

:cheesygrinsmiley: Subbed!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

:cheesygrinsmiley: Subbed!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Welcome aboard Seraphim, time to prove you gave this baby to capable hands!

I had a question, I am working on getting another Timer so I can put together a proper veg room for her.... but for now she is in a small cabinet with 1 27watt CFL on 24/7. I know this set up isn't promoting much NEW growth.. but is it detrimental to the clone at all to keep her under 24 hours of light until I can get a Veg Room up?

As you know I am trying to get my hands on the Mars400, but that wont be possible until this Friday.. plus the time it will take to be delivered. My goal is to have this Lady in a 1 gallon pot by Friday under four 27watt 6500k CFL's. That's over 100watts, and for CFL Veg that seems about right.

I also plan on the 1 gallon bucket for this Friday because; I think I want to experiment with several transplants... 1 gallon > 3 gallon > 5 gallon > 7 gallon maybe? I would even consider a 10+ gallon container to finish her in, I am hoping to get her HUGE and Flower her alone in my new tent... and I would imagine you can fit a pretty large plant in a 2x4x6ft area.

Welcome aboard Seraphim, time to prove you gave this baby to capable hands!

I had a question, I am working on getting another Timer so I can put together a proper veg room for her.... but for now she is in a small cabinet with 1 27watt CFL on 24/7. I know this set up isn't promoting much NEW growth.. but is it detrimental to the clone at all to keep her under 24 hours of light until I can get a Veg Room up?

I don't think it will hurt her, no. I would keep an eye out on any unwanted stretching but shouldn't be an issue. . But she will tell you better than I. If she looks happy, she's probably happy. The opposite is also true. Also, I will be here if you start to have any issues.

As you know I am trying to get my hands on the Mars400, (Good!) but that wont be possible until this Friday.. plus the time it will take to be delivered. My goal is to have this Lady in a 1 gallon pot by Friday under four 27watt 6500k CFL's. That's over 100watts, and for CFL Veg that seems about right.

I also plan on the 1 gallon bucket for this Friday because; I think I want to experiment with several transplants... 1 gallon > 3 gallon > 5 gallon > 7 gallon maybe? I would even consider a 10+ gallon container to finish her in, I am hoping to get her HUGE and Flower her alone in my new tent... and I would imagine you can fit a pretty large plant in a 2x4x6ft area.

I like the transplants. I do transplants myself when growing in soil. However, I would lower the number of actual transplants. Transplanting upwards as the plant grows is good when using soil but it is also stressful to the plant. The only thing I would differently from what you suggested is that I would go from the solo cup to a 2 gal and then from there to the final size be it 7 or 10. Once in the final pot, veg for about a week after transplant to let her get used to her new home and then flip. The mother of that clone you have is flowering in a 10 gal Smart-Pot.

I don't think it will hurt her, no. I would keep an eye out on any unwanted stretching but shouldn't be an issue. . But she will tell you better than I. If she looks happy, she's probably happy. The opposite is also true. Also, I will be here if you start to have any issues.

Alright cool! I figured she was fine but I figured I would ask her biological father hahah. Anyways, I keep the CFL's pretty close because I shoot for compact growth, so I don't think stretch will be an issue.

I like the transplants. I do transplants myself when growing in soil. However, I would lower the number of actual transplants. Transplanting upwards as the plant grows is good when using soil but it is also stressful to the plant. The only thing I would differently from what you suggested is that I would go from the solo cup to a 2 gal and then from there to the final size be it 7 or 10. Once in the final pot, veg for about a week after transplant to let her get used to her new home and then flip. The mother of that clone you have is flowering in a 10 gal Smart-Pot.

Awesome, five transplants seemed a little excessive, two sounds good to me. I'm definitely going to put her in a 10 gallon pot for the final transplant, gotta give this lady as much root room as possible! Since you like transplanting, I was curious what you thought about cutting the root mass a couple times before transplanting to promote root growth?

Ill jump in on this one. best of luck!

Woah! That was unexpected, welcome to my humble little grow Light Addict!! I was lookin' at your journals before I even had an account on this website! I would be happy to take any criticism or suggestions you have!

Glad to have you along good sir!

Many thanks for the warm welcome! :)
I don't jump in much normally as I'm just about training really, but Iif you ever want input on that I'm always happy to help :)

Well just knowing that makes me feel extremely confident about my grows! I definitely won't hesitate to ask you any questions if they come up! I was actually curious, how long you end up Vegging (on average) when Fluxing? Does it add much time on to a plants life cycle?

I was curious what you thought about cutting the root mass a couple times before transplanting to promote root growth?

Never done it, never had any issue.

I already have other clones of her. One in the high brix grow and another that I am keeping as a mother. All from the same lady which is now flowering. Remember I had 5 clones when I started. You got one.

Tangilope is unique. She smelled pungent and awesome rather early in flower. Her product is top notch. The Strawberry Diesel is turning out to be more subtle at this particular stage but her pedigree is solid and there is so much good stuff in that soil that I know she will be great when mature. But Tangilope was a jewel at a completely different level. So nice and very different than any bud I've ever had, it smells like fruit not weed.

If these cuttings of Tangilope that I took make it to plant-hood and I get to take more clones later you may find yourself the owner of a Tangilope clone down the road.

I already have other clones of her. One in the high brix grow and another that I am keeping as a mother. All from the same lady which is now flowering. Remember I had 5 clones when I started. You got one.

Tangilope is unique. She smelled pungent and awesome rather early in flower. Her product is top notch. The Strawberry Diesel is turning out to be more subtle at this particular stage but her pedigree is solid and there is so much good stuff in that soil that I know she will be great when mature. But Tangilope was a jewel at a completely different level. So nice and very different than any bud I've ever had, it smells like fruit not weed.

If these cuttings of Tangilope that I took make it to plant-hood and I get to take more clones later you may find yourself the owner of a Tangilope clone down the road.

Ahhh I see, I had forgot you still had those cuttings from your Tangilope!! Is your reveg still in progress or are you just keeping the clones? I would be ecstatic to become the parent of one of those little ladies! Here's hoping they make it my man!

And I guess I also forgot where all of your S.b.D. Clones went as well haha... dang cannabis flowers making me forgetful! Anyways, thats awesome you're keeping a mother, do you just have her in your veg tent?

Yup. Moms stay in veg forever.

Well just knowing that makes me feel extremely confident about my grows! I definitely won't hesitate to ask you any questions if they come up! I was actually curious, how long you end up Vegging (on average) when Fluxing? Does it add much time on to a plants life cycle?

Almost missed this.

OK for a good size flux if you have zero setbacks etc your looking at a ten week veg minimum. The one thing though is I've worked out that preparing a mom a certain way and then taking double headed clones that are a pre-set baby fluxes will cut this veg time in half :)

as for adding time on a plant. You will find that most MJ plants that are trained hard will take longer to flower out! So yep it can add a touch of time to the grow.

---QUICK UPDATE---

Hey 420magazine! Thanks to you guys who are all here and following along, means a lot to have support, especially from so many people who know their stuff. Not really much to report on this little gal, however I did transplant her into the pot in which she will be living for several weeks until I move her up into her permanent 10 gallon home.

She is in a 3 gallon Smart-Pot. Here is how I mixed and layered it in the pot;
  • 1 inch of Perlite on the bottom.
  • 1.5 gallon layer of FoxFarm Ocean Forrest Potting Soil (mixed w/ 1.5 tablespoons Dolomite Lime) in the middle.
  • 1.5 gallon layer of FoxFarm Happy Frog Potting Soil (mixed w/ 1.5 tablespoons Dolomite Lime) on top.

She is still looking perfectly green and healthy! Definitely excited that she was started in High-Brix, and that I will have all aspects of a soil grow under my belt for this Journal. Her root system was simply beautiful, all the way to the bottom of the cup, starting to wrap around the bottom. I broke her root ball apart just a little bit before I put her in her new home.

After I transplanted her I gave her a very good watering. She got 1 gallon Denver Tap with 2 drops of added Super-Thrive. Set her in the tub while I watered her, lots of good drainage, I am excited about that... I would like this soil to dry out well and faster than it has been in my most current grow journal.

Anyways, added another 27 watt CFL in her little cabinet for now. Once I get my new LED I will devote my DIY CFL Hood and 10 CFL's to a veg room for her and all plants after her.

Here are some pictures!!

IMG_2324_2.jpg
IMG_232511.jpg
IMG_170319.jpg

Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom