Thspot's Adopted Unknown Cabinet Grow Journal 2015

thspot

Hey guys so let me start this off by saying I have been on 420mag for some time now but this will be my first grow journal. The funny part is not only is this my first grow but its not even on purpose.
So here is some background info.
I have worked with grows before but as a team never on my own, and i have been researching how to grow and keeping up with journals on 420 mag for at least 8 years now, so i would still say im new to everything but i got a idea on how to get it done.

Sorry for the long intro but heres what happened, My friend had to leave out of town for a while and had a plant he was starting out from bag seed. He asked me if i wanted it and even threw in some CFLs and nutrients. So i couldn't deny that. I took the plant i didn't ask to many questions as he was in a hurry. so im not aware of how old it is or if he started giving it nutrients or not.

i got it 4 days ago and he told me to start flowering it. the first 3 days i kept it in dark then just yesterday switched it to 12/12 under the CFLs.

So originally i don't have anywhere to keep this plant but i just picked up a old rickety cabinet and decided if im going to do this i better do it right. Stealth:blunt:

So if you guys could help me out and give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it.:joint:

I watered it with tap water once since i got it and the newer leaves are starting to turn yellow and dry up and fall off. Im not sure what the cause could be. Ill post pics incase any of you guys can see what wrong.

back to the Grow

What strain is it? Unkown
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Unknown
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? just switched it to flower
If in Veg... For how long? ?
If in Flower stage... For how long? 2 days
Indoor or outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Unknown
If soil... What size pot? 1/2 gallon
Size of light? 2- 23 W CFL 1600 lumens each and 2-13 W CFL and 1-660W light unknown
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab?80F
RH of Room/cab?unknown
PH of media or res?unknown
Any Pests ?no
How often are you watering?1/3days
Type and strength of ferts used?unknown will post pics of the nutes.

im going to post pics of the plant so you can see the damage. And ill post pics of the lights. Please tell me which lights to use for flowering.
Also i have some nutes but im not sure what they are.

Whats wrong with her?

20150109_113915.jpg

20150109_113919.jpg
20150109_113934.jpg

unknown Nutes? how much to use and when?
20150109_214245.jpg

Lights / Which to use for flowering? Also which won't use so much power Will these work?

660W 250V CFL i believe?
238.png

and 2- 23 W CFL 1600 lumens each and nd 2-13 W
12701.jpg

So i hope you guys made it through the long intro but i could really use some good advice on how to go about this.
Thanks a lot and burn them down :grinjoint:

Hey mate,

The new growth looks somewhat poorly, could be multiple nutrient overdose or a pH related lock-out, maybe just stress resulting from the move. Could even be pest/disease related though this is fairly uncommon.

It's hard to say what is causing it but since the lower (older) growth looks fine it's probably something that happened recently.

I wouldn't initiate flower until you get it back to 100% healthy and growing strong. Might want to keep it 18/6 until some of the more knowledgeable soil people can help you out.

Any idea how 'hot' your current soil is (strength of fert)?

Hey mate,

The new growth looks somewhat poorly, could be multiple nutrient overdose or a pH related lock-out, maybe just stress resulting from the move. Could even be pest/disease related though this is fairly uncommon.

It's hard to say what is causing it but since the lower (older) growth looks fine it's probably something that happened recently.

I wouldn't initiate flower until you get it back to 100% healthy and growing strong. Might want to keep it 18/6 until some of the more knowledgeable soil people can help you out.

Any idea how 'hot' your current soil is (strength of fert)?

Thanks PirateBob. Im getting a Ph level tester tomorrow to see what its at. Also you think if i change it to 18/6 now after it being on 12/12 for couple days will be fine? or will it stress the plant again?

im note sure how strong the nutes in the soil are but i know there are nutes in the soil. I will post better pictures tomorrow and i just moved the plant inside the cabinet and hung up the lights for temporary use until i finish the cabinet.

and also all the new leaves are drying up and falling off but the older ones look fine.

thanks for the advice.

:smokin:

1/2 Update
Day 2 12/12

Last night i hung up the lights and put her into her new home. When i woke up i found i might have put the light to close. I see yellow stress marks on the bigger fan leaves.

Also the new leaves are all starting to dry and die.

Can someone help me out?
Im getting a PH tester today to see what my level is at. Ill update again tonight and let you all know.

How far should my lights be from the top of the plant?

20150110_114212.jpg
20150110_114219.jpg
20150110_114232.jpg
20150110_114256.jpg
20150110_114309.jpg

Hey buddy! Subbed!

Nothing like inheriting a grow :). I think your new growth problems are pH related. My suggestion is to flip the lights back to 18 hours on 6 hours off and get her back to vegetative growth.

Next I would go out and buy some bottled water with a pH of around 7. Give her this and only this for a week or so and she should bounce right back :). Ideally you want a week of stress free veg before flipping to 12/12 :)

Hey buddy! Subbed!

Nothing like inheriting a grow :). I think your new growth problems are pH related. My suggestion is to flip the lights back to 18 hours on 6 hours off and get her back to vegetative growth.

Next I would go out and buy some bottled water with a pH of around 7. Give her this and only this for a week or so and she should bounce right back :). Ideally you want a week of stress free veg before flipping to 12/12 :)

Thanks Mono i think after today when i turn the lights back on tonight i will get her back to 18/6 for a week till she gets a lil better.

Thanks Mono i think after today when i turn the lights back on tonight i will get her back to 18/6 for a week till she gets a lil better.

She looks to be a good size, if she was cfl grown I'd put her at 4-5 weeks of age from seed. Have you seen any sign of pre-flowers?

A week or so of healthy veg will do you wonders for you over the next 9 weeks of flowering. She looks to b very indica dominant :)

Have you thought much about low stress training? Would be very helpful if you are going to use cfls for the flowering stage too. Oh, cfls should be as close to the plant as you can get it without burning :)

She looks to be a good size, if she was cfl grown I'd put her at 4-5 weeks of age from seed. Have you seen any sign of pre-flowers?

A week or so of healthy veg will do you wonders for you over the next 9 weeks of flowering. She looks to b very indica dominant :)

Have you thought much about low stress training? Would be very helpful if you are going to use cfls for the flowering stage too. Oh, cfls should be as close to the plant as you can get it without burning :)

I know a little bit about LST but not very much. I would consider it if i looked into it more considering my cabinet can't get any bigger. Yes i believe i will use the CFLs for flowering also unless my power bill goes through the roof then i might switch to LED with couple CFL's.

Ya i had the lights close enough last night maybe a inch and half from the top fan leaf and it looked to yellow up a bit where the light was so tonight i will back it off another half inch or so.

I will update again tonight with the changes.

Awesome!

LST will really help your yield, especially if you are using cfls. I personally would say a 250 watt hps would do you better than a led since a watts a watt at the end of the day :).

Any idea what your temps and relative humidity are?

She (I'm guessing she is a female - any pre-flowers?) looks like she has potential to be a good yielder :)

Im going to look more into LSTing the plant after she's healthier if thats even a word.:blunt:

Im not sure if I've seen any pre flowers yet, ill let you know what my temps and humidity are after i buy a thermostat today. And your right watts are watts. Just where i live we pay exactly how much power we use which is a hassle sometimes.

Hellllllooooo there, cool little project bud. your definitely gonna need at least a couple weeks of veg before you flower and maybe a good flush might help. But you should wait till you see growth. when you do flush, wait till soil is dry, flush w a few gallons. Wait a week or so and you can asses wether to give it a feeding, but if you do start w a fraction and work your way up. Keep me updated.later.

:Namaste:

1/2 Update
Day 2 12/12

Also the new leaves are all starting to dry and die.

Can someone help me out?
Im getting a PH tester today to see what my level is at. Ill update again tonight and let you all know.

How far should my lights be from the top of the plant?

Like it was mentioned in your other thread on this subject the damaged parts will never get better and will continue to dry up. There is nothing you can do to stop this or make them better. This IS caused by the fact she spent four days in a dark damp box and then under light before the tips that grew in the dark humidity hardened off, happens with clones too. New growth from now on will be fine. In veg you can just go ahead and prune the damaged shoots, you have nodes below, she will grow back bushier with even more shoots. If you do want to prune but feeling insecure about it we'll show you how and where.

Update Jan 11th
Day 7 total
Day 1 on 18/6

So Last night was the first night i switch her back to 18/6.
The newer growths are still dying i am considering pruning the dead leaves off tonight. I could use some tips on how to go about this.

Since i don't know what soil its in, i went ahead and bought 2 kinds of soil im not sure which one to use so please let me know which one is better of the 2. I was going to get Pro Mix Potting Soil but im couldn't find any reviews on it so i ended up buying 2 different MG
Of course i will get some slack for getting these 2 but i couldn't find any organic soil. Fox farm will be ideal but right now i don't have access to any.

also i went head and bought a PH level tester and thermostat and a 5 gallon bucket that i will drill holes in the bottom for drainage.
I plan on transplanting into the 5 gallon bucket tonight unless you guys don't think its a good idea.

Please let me know what i should do at this point. Here are pics of her that i just took 5 min ago.

here are all the pictures of what i purchased to save this plant.

let me know what i should do

Which should i use?

MG_organic1.jpg
MG_p_mix.jpg

Some tools
Tools4.jpg

5 Gallon bucket i wanna transplant into, if you guys thinks its a good idea

5_gal.jpg

Day 7 Total Day 1 on 18/6
PH at 7-8 should i add nutes or wait ? if so what kind of nutes?

ph_Day_7-day1:skeptical:6.jpg

day_7-18:6-7.jpg
day_7-18:6.jpg
day_7-18:6-4.jpg
day_7-18:6-5.jpg
day_7-18:6-3.jpg
day_7-18:6-6.jpg
day_7-18:6-2.jpg

I know it looks bad but don't stress yourself over this, it's done focus on the future, your plant is not sick or dying she's injured, dried and burnt as all hell but will recover with care and outgrow all this. The continuing drying/dying of the leaves is part of the process that was started days ago and will continue until all affected parts are dry and crunchy, .

To effectively fill in your space your plant needs to be topped anyway and most of of the plant matter you see here will not even be important by the time you flower. Your box looks like it was designed for a screen of green grow I would look in to this.

Start by cleaning her up a little by cutting off the bad with sharp scissors and leaving the good where practical, with some of the lower lost cause leaves being removed entirely. Decide on her future, how and if you want to fill your space to know where/if to prune. I would put her under 24h light. I think flushing and transplanting is a good idea. Which soil is a good question for the soil guys, I have used MG organic for mothers with success.

day_7-18_6-2.jpg

I know it looks bad but don't stress yourself over this, it's done focus on the future, your plant is not sick or dying she's injured, dried and burnt as all hell but will recover with care and outgrow all this. The continuing drying/dying of the leaves is part of the process that was started days ago and will continue until all affected parts are dry and crunchy, .

To effectively fill in your space your plant needs to be topped anyway and most of of the plant matter you see here will not even be important by the time you flower. Your box looks like it was designed for a screen of green grow I would look in to this.

Start by cleaning her up a little by cutting off the bad with sharp scissors and leaving the good where practical, with some of the lower lost cause leaves being removed entirely. Decide on her future, how and if you want to fill your space to know where/if to prune. I would put her under 24h light. I think flushing and transplanting is a good idea. Which soil is a good question for the soil guys, I have used MG organic for mothers with success.

day_7-18_6-2.jpg

Thanks for the input Alienpus. I pruned off all the dead leaves on top and bottom. I just got the timer setup and put it for 18/6. Ill try this for the next 3 weeks just to give her time to re-adjust from 12/12.

Also i will be doing a scrog grow next with my new seeds ill be getting and making a custom light holder with a 2x4 piece of wood to place the lights better.

Tommrow i will transplant into MG organic since you said you had success with it.

I got a question, during the transplant should i water before? and do i mix with the old soil or just get the plant with a little bit of old soil and mix it in with the MG organic?

thanks for the tips.
Burn em down.:tokin:

Thanks for the input Alienpus. I pruned off all the dead leaves on top and bottom. I just got the timer setup and put it for 18/6. Ill try this for the next 3 weeks just to give her time to re-adjust from 12/12.

Also i will be doing a scrog grow next with my new seeds ill be getting and making a custom light holder with a 2x4 piece of wood to place the lights better.

Tommrow i will transplant into MG organic since you said you had success with it.

I got a question, during the transplant should i water before? and do i mix with the old soil or just get the plant with a little bit of old soil and mix it in with the MG organic?

thanks for the tips.
Burn em down.:tokin:

Looks a lot nicer and encouraging once cleaned up doesn't she?.

I'm not so sure transplanting is such a good idea anymore, the logic behind it was we don't know the history or type of soil, enriched ?, bigger pot. In reality your plant is going through a pretty big physical shock right now and also a smaller light period shock, and the last thing she needs right now is transplant shock. The pearlite and sphagnum in your soil means it's probably a commercial potting mix and we have no reason to suspect that there is any problem with it, plant size indicates soil is not very old and the pot has ample room. Maybe best to just give her a little water adjust ph and let her be for a while.

Looks a lot nicer and encouraging once cleaned up doesn't she?.

I'm not so sure transplanting is such a good idea anymore, the logic behind it was we don't know the history or type of soil, enriched ?, bigger pot. In reality your plant is going through a pretty big physical shock right now and also a smaller light period shock, and the last thing she needs right now is transplant shock. The pearlite and sphagnum in your soil means it's probably a commercial potting mix and we have no reason to suspect that there is any problem with it, plant size indicates soil is not very old and the pot has ample room. Maybe best to just give her a little water adjust ph and let her be for a while.

Ya she looks a lot better. I will update tonight before she goes into dark. I will be leaving her in the pot also at least until i start flowering which might be another month or so. Adjusting Ph what is the best way to go about that? should i give her a lil nutes when i water to get her PH back up to 6.5-7?

Ya she looks a lot better. I will update tonight before she goes into dark. I will be leaving her in the pot also at least until i start flowering which might be another month or so. Adjusting Ph what is the best way to go about that? should i give her a lil nutes when i water to get her PH back up to 6.5-7?

I meant to say PH adjusted water, nutes in my experience lower PH. I am not much of a soil guy and feel uncomfortable giving advice on the subject, indoor soil cultivation sub-forum would be a good read. That being said, while you research, I would not give any nutes until growth resumes with some vigor. As for PH when it's low I water with a higher PH water and vice versa, again soil guys know best. I still maintain my position that she should be under 24h light coming out of 12/12 but that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom