First Indoor Hydro Grow

5chord

2007: I had several successful outdoor grows under my belt and was looking to bring it inside....Stealth Hydroponics Ready To Grow Kit looked like it was the best complete starter kit out there. The 315watt CFL Light bank output was 15,000 Lumens!!

I ordered it and waited for it's arrival.....And waited.....And waited.....Calls and emails went unanswered..Finally after more than 3 weeks, I called my credit card company and they promptly refunded my money. Time had passed. My son got old enough to see what was going on so I closed up shop and took a hiatus from growing.

2014/2015 My son is out of the house and I'm looking for something to do this Winter. I was surprised to see Stealth Hydroponics was still in business and had the very same kit with a 315W CFL Bank. In fact, it was now 18,000 lumens! So I bought it Via Paypal on Nov 29th and waited for the delivery.....And waited.......I called at the 2 week mark and a friendly guy answered. When I gave him my order info he told me that PayPal never paid them and they have a lot of trouble with PayPal. So I hung up and logged on to my Paypal account. Sure enough the payment to Stealth Hydroponics was "Unclaimed". I canceled the PayPal payment, called them back and they took my credit card info over the phone.

Most of December passed before I gave them another call. The guy on the other end apologized that the 105W bulbs were not available and would be another week or two before they would come in. SIGH. New Years passed and a week long trip to The Dominican Republic would bring me to mid-January.....Now nobody was answering the phone at all and no calls or emails were returned. How Ironic is it that after almost 8 years I have to get my credit card company involved to get a refund from SH again!? On January 25th I gave them one last chance........I was about to hang up on the 15th ring when a (very stoned) guy answered. When I gave him my order info, I heard him say to himself "Why the hell didn't this ship" He put me on hold and when he came back a few minutes later he told me I would have a tracking number in an hour. And on January 26th I did!

20150203_213615_zpsulaul9vx.jpg

On February 3rd the package I had been waiting for for 8 years was leaning up against my front door. When I picked up the poorly packed box, I knew there was something wrong. Something sounded like loose gravel or glass sliding around every time I moved the box. I managed to get it down to the grow area and started to unpack the kit, hoping the sound wasn't broken 105w bulbs. It wasn't. The bag of Hydroton clay pellets had broken open and was everywhere.
20150203_210941_zpsbi2grtzr.jpg

I took my time unpacking and making sure everything was there. The 8 gal ------------ kit went together very easily although the components looked a bit cheap (I'm buying a back-up pump). I hung the light bank from the ceiling and noticed the bulbs were hanging a little low, but I figured I could tighten it up later.

20150203_210944_zpsirlfo3mj.jpg

20150203_212849_zpsodnxhh6x.jpg

I probably wouldn't have even looked at it again if the light would have turned on OK. But one of the bulbs refused to light. It was getting late, so I plopped 6 WW seeds in the soaked Rockwool cubes and figured I'd worry about the lamp in the morning.

20150203_210948_zps896redvb.jpg

20150203_212259_zpssxuneooy.jpg

The next morning I removed the lamp for closer inspection. I was shocked at how poorly made it was. The reason it didn't work was that a wire was actually loose! The person who assembled the thing hardly gave themselves enough wire to work with on one side of the lamp and too much on the other. It looked like they melted plastic over the wires for insulation! I poured myself some coffee and went about re-wiring the whole thing, not realizing I was wasting my time. When I finally got to the reassembling stage, I was amazed that the cheap sockets were attached to the heavy-duty frame by ultra-cheap clips about as strong as a paper-clip. The sagging of the 2lb bulbs was irreversible as it was not designed for these large lights. Not even close. If the people at SH had ever assembled one they would know immediately. I cannot express how disappointed I am. The lamp/hood was absolutely unusable. These pictures do not do justice to the shoddy work put into this lamp.

20150204_085333_zpsi0hygue5.jpg

20150204_105746_zpsvttw68cs.jpg

After a couple of discouraging calls to local hardware stores, I give a call to my partner in crime, Bud. He arrives very quickly to asses the giant piece of crap of a light-bank SH sent me.

To be continued......

We quickly come up with a back-up plan......Well mostly him. Instead of hanging the lamp/hood directly from the ceiling, we devised a way using two tension shower/rods along with the Yo-Yo Light Hangers, 3 clamp lights and the 3 105W Bulbs that came with the kit.

20150204_191138_zpsdhrfwpvm.jpg

20150204_194214_zps4r4sjc4z.jpg

20150203_212255_zpsckq9h4hp.jpg

20150204_192859_zpshrsqpoox.jpg

Well there wasn't much to do now but wait..... I cleaned up the wires and drilled a couple holes in the tile wall for pole sockets to support the top rod. Then I mixed up the ferts as described in the Recipe For Success

20150209_142530_zps2ypqjfmi.jpg

I have no idea why they sent the Packers hat......The company is from Michigan!

20150204_140249_zpsvll48r3z.jpg

a03970e3-b764-40e2-b0dd-2deb6854710f_zpse2177d37.jpg

The White Widow seeds germinated in 72 hours......

c5b1f862-88a7-4cb5-bc90-70848c25969a_zpsf0243e81.jpg

20150208_160952_zpsmyxruqhy.jpg

I cut two holes in the system....One large (1 1/4") in the top to add ferts and water and a second on the wall of the container at the fill line, so I know when it's filled properly without taking the lid off.

20150209_181341_zpsyvioiljy.jpg

Wow, I feel you on the frustration. I ordered some equipment from FutureGarden weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped yet. Good luck with the grow sir. I'm along for the ride.

--Rush

Thanks Rush,

It turns out Stealth Hydro is banned from 420 magazine as well as all discussion of them! I got a note from the Mod

Is it just me or does 420 seem a bit totalitarian? I understand they want to run the site as a business, but sheesh... if I followed all the rules in life I wouldn't be here in the first place.

lol They do run a tight ship, but the letter to me was very nice. I'd hate to get banned, this place is a real treasure trove of info

Thanks guys! Any advice is appreciated........The next thing I did was go to the pet store and buy a PH kit

20150212_211710_zps7ortzupg.jpg

After adding 3 drops of PH test liquid my test tube turned a cobalt blue indicating a PH of 7.6! A bit high by any standard. I chatted up the subject with a gent from a Dutch website and he told me to shoot for 6.4. A teaspoon of PH Down added to the 8 gallons was actually more than I needed as it turned the water in the PH test tube a piss yellow color indicating a 6.0. Adding a capful of PH Up to the mixture, the test water turned just the right shade of yellow-green as noted on the color-coded card next to the 6.4!:thumb:

20150210_154121_zps5x5ihocl1.jpg

After 1 Day, 5 of the 6 pots looked like this. You could visibly see the 6th just below the top of the Rockwool cube, trying to get out of its own way and failing.

20150212_062907_zpsvhnj5zax.jpg

And this is how most of the 5 pots looked a day later. The 6th is still trying to find it's way up!

Thanks for the info, I brought it down to 6.1.....Well there's not much to do now but wait. It's 11 days since I dropped the White Widow seeds into the soaked Rockwool cubes....2 of the 6 have dropped roots into the aerated water/nute mix

rooting1.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-14-11-43-43.png

Screenshot_2015-02-14-12-02-08.png

I'll leave them alone now!

Sorry man, have not been following closely. How much nutes are you giving them, they should almost not have any right now, they should not need any for the first couple weeks, then start slowly like 1/4 strength and work your way up. I start with less than 200ppm and work my way up to 500ish...

I mixed the nutes in with the water as soon as I saw that I saw germination as per a seed guy in Amsterdam....Not that he's right, but that's what I did...Here's what's going on on Tuesday February 17th 6am...This is at least 3 times the growth I've experienced outdoors in dirt, but it was also a totally different strain............It's almost boring, it's so easy

20150217_064845.jpg

20150217_064850.jpg

It's exactly 2 weeks after receiving the hydro kit

Three are definitely the bulls of the bunch.....Bigger, meaner looking...I usually find these to be the males, but I'd love to be wrong
20150218_123734.jpg

20150218_123959_1_.jpg

20150218_123742_1_.jpg

A few details on the grow room.....It's in a shower stall of a basement bathroom without any windows. I think I have enough space in the stall to double the grow next time if this one goes well. I also plan on adding one and maybe two shop-lights with florescent tubes vertically against the back wall and re-installing the shower doors with mylar over the glass. Or would the glass be reflective enough?

Also, it's ventilated by a bathroom fan but I know it won't be enough to get rid of the smell.....would something like the Uvonair 1000 Junior be enough to keep the odor under control?

Thanks Snyper, no they're not. I'm still on the fence weather I should proof them or not...I know it's easier to clone when they're in veg

It's been a few days since my last update. It's now 3 weeks since I dropped the magic beans into the Rockwool Cubes.........Over the weekend I had my original lamp re-built with ceramic sockets and reinforced attachments!
20150223_212645.jpg

It was now ready for prime-time:thumb: The clamp lights were gone and that cleaned up a lot of wiring mess. I threw 2 2-tube T-12 shop lights and added another 160 Watts of Florescent light....not that it brought much to the table, but better than nothing
20150224_145657.jpg

The plants are growing at a rate I've never experienced outdoors or indoors in dirt...The strain may have a lot to do with it but Hydro is new to me. I've never been able to see what goes on under the dirt....Here it's very transparent

20150224_145710_1_.jpg

20150224_145548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom