1st Time Possible Fail Grow - 600W HPS

Kriaze

Hello all, this is my 1st ever grow and I think I may have blown it. After a week (3 doses) of PK13/14 my plants look like they're giving up the ghost so I have a couple of questions hoping that someone can give me an answer.

1st of all my setup is as follows:

4x4x6 grow tent with 400w CFL for veg (vegged for 6 weeks from seed to plant. Was this too short a veg period?)
Nutrients given were from my local hardware stores gardening section with a high Nitrogen content (16).
I used All purpose Compost for the plants in 1 gallon pots.
The light was set to 18hrs on and 6hrs off. They seemed to be flourishing before I switched them over to 12/12 in my flowering tent.
3 plants in total as this is just for personal use. I have no intention of selling any so my grows will always be small.
Average temperatures in the veg tent were around 22 degrees celsius.

Flowering tent is 4x4x6 with a 600w HPS, a 6" inline fan and carbon scrubber for extraction and a 4" inline fan for air intake. 1 small fan circulating air above the plants initially but I've now added a large fan as well in an attempt to keep things cooler.
Average temperatures in here can fluctuate anywhere between 27 degrees celsius to 32 degrees celcius. Since adding the extra fan I'm averaging a more steady 28 degrees celcius, is it too late though?
Feed here was some low nitrogen (4) tomato plant food along with Canna Boost Accelerator, Canna Rhizotonic (1 dose only), and last week over a period of 1 week (3 doses) of PK13/14 starting at half strength and the last dose being full strength.

I'm not sure if it was just the PK13/14 that blew it for me, the heat (30 degrees) after my weekend away or a combination of numerous mistakes made. The plants are now dying. They've been like this (as in pics) for a good 5 days now. I put the plants on just water for one feed then half strength nutes yesterday but there seems to be no difference. If anything they seem to be getting slightly worse. I've pulled a lot of dead leaves from the plants but if I take every yellow leaf off there will be none left :(

Has anyone any ideas please? If there is no hope and I have to pull them up is it a case of the sooner the better or should I wait awhile, plus will this be smokeable? Thanks in advance for any help :)

DSC1717rs.jpg
DSC1711rs.jpg
DSC1736rs.jpg

Damn too bad you didn't get on here earlier. If you would have the experts that patrol this website would have been able to spot the deficiency earlier, before their current condition. I wouldn't be to quick to call it a complete loss, if you can get them to hold out a little longer let a bit more of the THC to develop you may be able to get you some good hash or butter.

The veg time is not the issue. That was plenty of veg time the rest sounds good and commonly used throughout the site. The fact that its started at the top and moving downwards should make it fairly easy to identify but you will probably need to get some close up pictures of the leaves.

Thanks for your reply PTSD. You think they have a deficiency, I'm not feeding them enough of something? I was thinking along the lines of over feeding and heat stress. Now I'm well and truly stumped. Appreciate the feedback :)

It might not be a deficiency at all I am no good at seeing that stuff. Like I said you need a real close up of the leafs to be able to tell. It very well could be both of those it could be just about anything. Heat will typically cause your leaves to go in a canoe shape to the best of my knowledge. I noticed mine doing this when the temps got too high..... I guess now that I look a bit closer to the pics it looks like the yellowing is starting at the tips of the leafs. This would most likely indicate nute burn in my opinion. Again I am no expert just trying to guide you to getting a better answer. I have the deficiency pic somewhere let me get it for you.

This is the deficiency picture that floats around a lot. Also if you go into the FAQ there are a lot of post in there that might help. Also the search button in the upper right will help you. Maybe searching something like yellowing during flower or something to that extent. I don't know if this will help.
cannabis_leaf-deficiencies3118.jpg

Hey thanks very much for your help PTSD. I'm going to buy some cal-mag plus as I was looking around and it could be an iron/calcium/magnesium deficiency. I'm not sure how accurate my PH tester is so after reading up I'm now wondering whether this could be the problem. Either way I'll need it soon anyway as I'm going to bin the HPS and buy one of those Mars II 1200w led's. Was tempted by the 900w but I don't think that will cover the 4x4 tent fully. I'm making sure that I don't have those heating problems again though. Once again I appreciate your input, I'm guessing it's just one of those things that is hard to define what the root cause is :/

I know that I see a lot of cal/mag deficiencies happen to people later into flowering lets just hope its not to late. I just wish there was someone out there that could help you out better then me.... Let me see if I cant get someone over here to take a look I hate to see you loose your harvest like I have said before I am no expert by any means still on my first indoor just do a lot of reading and research as preparation. Hopefully I can pull someone over here to help you out!! Get up a close up of the leaf tho so that it can be more readily identified.

Hey PTSD thanks very much. Your help is really appreciated, and yes you're right. I really don't want to lose these babies. I've been dreaming about nice big low cost buds, and I think I'm going to end up with nothing :O

Its all good, here to help really am..... Really you wont be at a total loss I highly doubt. They look like they have been flowering for a good amount of time, so without a doubt some thc has formed, at this point its just salvaging what we can and if the buds don't develop necessarily to being smokable, if all else fails make some good hash out of it or butter.... Live and learn my friend and if anything you learned to get on the forums earlier at the first signs of issues, but atleast you did find us. Im new here and still just learning but you have some real heavy hitters in the MJ world and with the right people you can fix it and maybe come out with some stellar herb. Good luck.

3 doses is to much I think for 1 week, should be like 1 dose. Have you flushed them? I would.

Edit: i think there is a thread some where that explains how much and when is the time to use it.

It would be good to flush with ph balanced water of course- but if your tester isn't working then - just flush anyway as best as you can. I'd use about/at least 3 gallons water for each pot. You are using small pots- easy to flush well. 30 is high but not that high.
Also- without being there to see in person, I really doubt if your plants are actually dying. It looks like (from what I can see in the pics anyway) they still have plenty of leaves on them, so if you can flush them and correct the problems you will still get a harvest.

Hey everyone thanks for posting your advice. I've had a busy morning sofar and have been unable to take another picture yet, but I'll do that shortly after I have flushed them. I appreciate the time you have all spent on helping me correct my mistakes and I'll also look into getting a ppm meter along with the LED light to hopefully lessen the temperatures in the tent. You guys and gals ROCK! Thank you very much, especially now I have a glimmer of hope :))

No worries Kriaze:).....Weaselcracker is right on the ph balanced water, but either way i believe they need to be flushed....How far into flowering are you?....how often do you water?......should be when the media is almost dry....not bone dry but not far off is how i do my soil plants......also......you should Feed, Water, Water and repeat......to much nutes will cause lockout....which could be the case......get us some closer pics of the leaves and try to do it in natural light so we can see the colors better:)......you will still get a harvest.....i can see a decent amount of bud on them so you are part of the way there.....after flush.....once the media has dried up some then you can feed with your base nutes.....ie...grow, bloom, and micro.......i dont know if you use those.....sorry i dont remember the actual nutes you are using....i do remember that i have no experience with them:)lol....but what ever nutes....introduce at half strength of what you were feeding them at:).....i had a problem with overdosing mine with cal/mag and they look similar to yours from what i can see.....that started at abotu week 3 of flower.....was around week 5-6 that a member told me it looked to be cal/mag burn....reread my directions and i was feeding twice the max!!:)lol....we all make mistakes is what i am getting at:)....i think you will be fine once they have a good flush and maybe after about a week you will see some improvements:).....dont pull any affected leaves off unless they are completely dead as if you pull them off and still have the problem it will just move to the healthy leaves:)......ok....gotta go.....but will be back:)....have a great day:)

Back
Top Bottom