Jwhat's First - Soil - Black Indica - Closet - Micro Grow Journal

Jwhat201

Hi decided I could use a journal on another website, lol. First I'll just add my most recent pics of my set up and seedling and explain a little about what I've been doing and what I'm using.

The seed I'm using is a feminized Black Indica from cropking. I killed my first two early, like in the first few days. Fed nutrients too early first, and the second try dried out. Though I did have different lights at first, have more suitable lights now. This one's 4 days old and still healthy looking with barely any stretch at all, so I have high hopes :).

The lights I'm using are 3 23 watt CFL bulbs at 6500k, and I'm growing in my bedroom closet, with the 3 bulbs hanging about 4 inches from the soil. And they are adjustable.

The medium I'm using is Promix Organic Vegetable and Herb potting mix. I used a small white cup to start my seedling in. Germinated using the instructions on my seed bank's website.

About a day or two soaked in water, then a day in paper towel with a tupperware container over it for humidity, in the dark. After the day or so in paper towel I had a nice looking tap root. I then put my soil loosely packed in my cup, poked hole with my finger and planted, watered and placed under my lights, with lights about 4 inches from the soil. I'm on my 4th day and I have a nice looking seedling :).

For watering, I've been checking on her every 1-2 hours, and when the soil on top is a little dry I will water around the tiny seedling. I also don't water too much during night time, I just water good about a half hour or so before my lights go off.

For air movement for now Im just opening and closing the door every once in a while, I think my fans are too strong. 50 CFM for a small closet.

For temperature I'm just keeping my room's thermostat around 74, more or less depending how warm the room feels.

Ill add I'm going to be getting different lights for flowering, 2700k cfl's 3 of them. Maybe even have 4 bulbs for each cycle if possible on my budget.

Well I can't add attachments yet, but as soon as I can I shall haha. Please share any advice, suggestions, or anything else you might have. This is my first ever grow.

Thanks for viewing and thanks for any info or help!

Here's a few pics, please let me know what you think.

TPhoto_00022.jpg

TPhoto_00039.jpg

TPhoto_00036.jpg

TPhoto_00025.jpg

TPhoto_00028.jpg

Quick update lights just came on for day 5, and I can see the second set of leaves growing in :). She looks healthy, and I swear she grows every day lol. Just gave her a good watering. I'm still watering the same, and I'm still using 18/6 just gonna be patient and not stress my baby haha.

When should I add a fan? I have about a 4 foot high oscillating fan, with a few different settings.

TPhoto_00041.jpg

TPhoto_00040.jpg

Hey everyone, update for the start of day 7... Couple new pics of my girl, What do you think?

I added some more perlite because I think I didn't have nearly enough at first.
And I'm watering more now than I was at first, should I be?

How does she look? Any recommendations or anything?

Thanks for viewing, she's definitely growing :).

Subbed in on this, i also have a grow that has just started so will be keeping an eye on this ;)

Healthy looking seedling so far, as BlackPolo23 said i would try get her onto a more stable base. On another note just make sure not to overwater her and you should have a thriving plant in no time :Namaste:

Hey quick day 8 update. Her second set of true leaves is catching up :). She's steadily growing and I can see more tiny leaves coming in :). Plan to get another 6500k bulb and holder to add in the next couple days. Been watering twice a day lately once an hour or so after lights come on, and once a little before lights go off. Check on her often.

Day 9

So I just did this to try and increase reflection, what do you think? Wondering now was just the wall better or is this good.

TPhoto_00043.jpg

TPhoto_00044.jpg

TPhoto_00043.jpg

Please post your thoughts and any recommendations you might have. Also look at my baby at day 9 :).

Would this box, lined with foil be more suited?
TPhoto_00046.jpg

Tin foil has a lot of creases in it so it's hard to correctly direct reflective light but Mylar sheet is a better option if you can get some.My first indoor grow I lined the walls with mirrors and angled a couple at the base to reflect light from underneith and it worked brilliant.So far your grow is looking good but watering twice a day shouldn't be needed as they like wet dry cycles and need it for good root development.

I have to agree with Toddosh, watering twice a day is probably not a good idea (depends on how much you are watering at a time but still a good idea to let the soil dry out a bit so the roots will start searching for dampness in turn giving you a better root system), especially in a coffee mug where excess water wont run off. Aluminium foil is not a good reflector but it will do more than nothing at all and is a cheap way to get a little reflection and i have even done the same with my grow for now till i can afford a better solution, mylar is a lot better but is also a bit pricey depending on where you are. Apart from that she is doing well :Namaste:

Thanks guys haven't seen mylar around anywhere and foil is just the cheapest and easiest option for now, real budget grow haha.

I might be able to get some titanium white paint, I read a few places that this is highly reflective. I was thinking if I can, painting the inside of my container that colour. So it'd be very reflective white on the inside, and black on the outside. Any thoughts on this?

Yeah white paint would be fine ive seen videos with setups like that. M using mylar for my first grow currently

Update for the end of day 10. How's she look? Her bottom leaves are worrying me and the ends of the top leaves are curling upward. I just raised the lights a bit thinking that might be it, they were pretty close to the top leaves. Post your thoughts please and thanks in advance! Worried but it might be just me, did I do right in raising the lights?

TPhoto_00045.jpg
(start of day 9 just for comparison)
TPhoto_00089.jpg

Yeah if your leaves tips are curling upwards it might be the lights, same happened to me

Quick update day 12. She had 18 leaves yesterday around this time. Now she has 28 :). Still looks good and green and keeps growing. :)

Will post pic updates in the next couple days.

Hey everyone, day 14 update :).

Gonna attach a few pics, please post your thoughts. In the past few days she's grown a nice bit, and she's getting some height now too I'm after having to adjust the lights :).

I'm wondering if I should start on some calimagic? Haven't fed her anything yet, read to wait at least two weeks. What do you think? Wanna make sure I don't give her too much either. Thanks for viewing and thanks for any advice!

TPhoto_00004.jpg

TPhoto_00003.jpg

TPhoto_00002.jpg

Also should this pot be a big enough home for a while yet?

Thanks

Just transplanted her to a bigger pot. And she needed it too, didn't think I'd need to transplant this early, but now I know how fast the roots grow. Pot is about twice the height of what she was started in, with a drain hole in the bottom. I used a pick kind of thing I have to loosen up the soil around the cup, then grasped the lowest part of the stem, tipped the cup up, and after a little moving around she came out.

Already had the new home filled with soil, and a drain hole put in the bottom of cup. Now I made a crater like thing in the soil, and placed the root ball in. Filled the edges in with more soil, made it all level, and patted down around the plant. When it all looked level and good, added some more perlite on the top and then I gave her a good watering.

My only concern is the stem isn't right in the center of the cup. Could this be a problem? Got her placed back under the lights in the closet for now, will update tomorrow.

Thanks

Did you take it out of the cup soil and all and transplant it?If you damage roots while growing trying to just take the plant out you can cause it to stunt or hermi or worst kill it.Over the next 2 weeks it should at least double in size and root growth will be huge.I would have it in at least a quart pot by now.You want the roots to grow as freely as you can so you can get the best out of the plant instead of waiting for it to have no room to grow before transplanting.Its looking nice and healthy so far and looking forward to watching her grow:)

Back
Top Bottom