Scarfinger68 - Aurora Indica - Soil - 600W Dimmable HPS - Indoor Closet Grow

Scarfinger68

Intro: Switching from CFL to HPS for the first time.

I will be growing for the first time with HPS. I have a small odd shaped closet that has heat issues to begin with. But, 600w HPS seemed like the best bang for the buck. Also, I can dim it down 75% or 50% depending on heat or light stress.

My old set up was 336w of CFL in a homemade box.
P10000902.JPG

I am hoping to increased the grow area and use a 6" ducted reflector hood ventilated by a 4" fan which is exhausted out my roof.
P10101634.JPG

I bought a LUX meter to help determine placement and light coverage. I am using these guidelines for LUX:

1000 - 5000 lux Min. necessary for life
10000 - 15000 lux Min. necessary for consistent but sparse growth
20000 - 25000 lux Min. necessary for robust growth
25000 - 30000 lux Max. Efficiency for Sub Tropical varieties
25000 - 50000 lux Max. Efficiency for Equatorial varieties

Another source states: 45,000 - 70,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering

I am hoping my light, ballast and hood arrive on May 1st, this Friday

Some particulars:

Strain: Aurora Indica (90% Indica, 10% Sativa)
Stage: approximately 21 days from seed (currently VEG 24/0 light schedule)
Type: Indoor grow
Light: 600w dimmable HPS (75%, 50%) with heat exhausted by a 4" fan.
Room: An odd shaped closet
Soil: (Fox Farms Ocean Forest supplemented with regular soil and perlite to lesson the hotness)
**My first time adding anything to the FFOF. Trying to stretch it out and tame it down a little**

Size: 5 Plants in 1 Gallon pots

I will use some LST (I don't think AI likes being manipulated to much)
Room 6" passive intake from an adjacent room

I should get 1 oz. per plant but I am hoping for 30 to 40 grams dried. 40 grams was my all time best in a 1 gallon pot.

Potential Problems:
PH
Heat
1st time user of HPS

Today:
VEG 21 days from seed. Transplanted today into 1 gallon pots. (6 CFL's at 27w for VEG light)
P10101612.JPG

Subbing up Scarfinger68:cheer:
Your plants are looking great Man. Im excited for you and your new space with a HPS light.I feel your knowledge and skills growing will breeze through any issues you may have in your new set up and end in a big heavy supply of top notch medicine:high-five:

Thanks!

Top notch medicine is the goal :) And with the new set up, there should be more of it!

Loved the Aurora Indicas. I cloned and grew one pheno for almost two years. Easy to grow, yielded well and had a very "comfortable" high. It was the dankest skunky weed I have ever had. I could crack a nug open in a room full of people and all would just stop talking ans start scanning the room for the source :thedoubletake: lol

Your plants look great. I'm subbed to see :)

~GG

Loved the Aurora Indicas. I cloned and grew one pheno for almost two years. Easy to grow, yielded well and had a very "comfortable" high. It was the dankest skunky weed I have ever had. I could crack a nug open in a room full of people and all would just stop talking ans start scanning the room for the source :thedoubletake: lol

Your plants look great. I'm subbed to see :)

~GG

Agreed! Its one of the first stains in my limited experience that I could really taste. I kept pulling my tongue off the roof of my mouth and savoring it.

I don't smoke much. Mainly just sample my grows once after harvest.

I grow for my wife and it all comes down to what my wife likes... and she says "it taste like good weed".

Subbed up Scar!!

That closet looks like a perfect place to grow, and if your HPS is air cooled you should be able to keep the conditions in there pretty well controlled! I am going to try HPS for the first time once Fall and cooler temperatures come around. Excited to see how you do your first time my friend :cheesygrinsmiley:

Subbed up Scar!!

That closet looks like a perfect place to grow, and if your HPS is air cooled you should be able to keep the conditions in there pretty well controlled! I am going to try HPS for the first time once Fall and cooler temperatures come around. Excited to see how you do your first time my friend :cheesygrinsmiley:

Got an air cooled hood on the way. The room: Its 72 inches at the apex and the right wall is only 46 inches high.

Light dimensions:
Reflector Size: 7-3/8"H x 12-1/2"W x 22-1/2"L That's going to take up some of the space because of the angle of the ceiling.

Hoping for 46 to 50 inches of grow height. Maybe I should of got a cool-tube. :hmmmm:

Well, That's one reason I got the dimmable ballast. At worst I should be able to run it at 50% (300w). Hoping for at least 75% dimmed (450w).

Subbed

I would think with your closet height and the exhaust at the highest point you should be solid. My 400w gives me heat issues, but my room is only 4 feet high. lol

I may get stuck with about that height after the reflector is installed. I figured if this reflector doesn't work that I could use it in the VEG room and then get a cool tube for the grow room.

I may get stuck with about that height after the reflector is installed. I figured if this reflector doesn't work that I could use it in the VEG room and then get a cool tube for the grow room.

I think you'll be good. That is my total room height, not just usable height. So after you factor in the pot and cooltube I get about 26" to work with, minus the 12" or so from the bulb give me a total plant height of <14". But it is definitely doable. You've got way more to work with than that, so I don't imagine it will be too much of an issue.

25 days of VEG under CFL's
P10101651.JPG

This time I am mainly just going to do LST
Keeping it simple: LST with a rubber coated hanger. I don't think the Aurora Indica like to be topped. I have topped them in the past, but not this time.
P10101663.JPG

P10101674.JPG

:peacetwo:

I think you'll be good. That is my total room height, not just usable height. So after you factor in the pot and cooltube I get about 26" to work with, minus the 12" or so from the bulb give me a total plant height of <14". But it is definitely doable. You've got way more to work with than that, so I don't imagine it will be too much of an issue.

Good to know :)

Thanks!

Already Strong and Healthy Looking then....
some Nice training Those plants are looking to explode with growth from it :welldone:

Looking lush Scar. :goodjob: subbed up. The switch to hps will be sick.

Thanks!

BAD NEWS!! Broken Reflector.
P10101745.JPG

RMA request and photos emailed to the seller. That really sucks. It's probably going to take another week to 2 weeks to get a replacement.

I haven't grown in about a year. After following a couple journals I am realizing how much I have forgotten.

The new craze right now seems to be "fluxing". I have read "Light Addict's Fluxing Central" and it is very interesting and sure does have some impressive grows supporting the technique.

So after seeing all these mutilated alien looking VEG fluxers, I decided to pull some fan leaves off to get some more light to the new growth. Also I know a lot of people defoliate in VEG but I have never been a practitioner of it.

P10101685.JPG

P10101704.JPG

P10101694.JPG

I may have to do more training than I thought considering my reflector may take a while to get replaced.

Water and fertilized:

:morenutes: FoxFarm week 3: Big Bloom and Grow Big ½ strength + (1 tsp. Cal/Mag, 1 tsp. thrive microbials, 1 drop “superthrive”) PH’d 7.0

I did add 1 tablespoon of garden lime to the topsoil in anticipation that the FoxFarms will get hot. I have mixed 1 cup garden lime per 4 gal FFOF in the past. I just forgot to do it this time.

Some discoloration on one of the plants. Honestly I am not even worried about it. Nutes today. Then just plan water next couple times. Maybe a little unsulphured molasses for the microbes to eat added to the next watering.

P10101773.JPG

P10101785.JPG

Back
Top Bottom