Kosmi's 2nd Grow - Space Bucket Regen - Foot Locker - Bag Seed - FIM

Kosmi

Hey guys,

Started a new journal of my 2nd grow. I'm revegging plant 1 from my first grow in a space bucket, gonna do LST in a spiral around the bucket. I like how plant 1 smoked the best of the two, no idea what it's called though :).

In the foot locker, I'm trying fimming on some bagseed. I have two seedlings I kept under 18/6 for a couple weeks till I could FIM and then gave them a few days to recover before flipping over to 12/12 light.

Here's a pic from a few weeks ago

image25918.jpg

Link to my first grow

The regenerated plant is a little freaked out but its growing nicely :) both plants took the dimming very well and are now on 12/12 about a week after fimming. Both have lots of growth areas :D. LEDs will hopefully be here in a week or two, so we'll get them in before flowering really gets going.

image26675.jpg
image26676.jpg
image26677.jpg

Glad to have you guys along for this journal! Can see what lessons I learned in the last grow. Ultimately I learned that cfls by themselves are not quite sufficient for a good flowering stage. That's where I hope the leds will pick up the slack. Should be here soon.

Just an update on the seedlings, looks like they took fimming very well. There's like 8 colas on the bigger seedling and at least 4 on the younger one.

image26805.jpg
image26806.jpg

Just an update on the seedlings, looks like they took fimming very well. There's like 8 colas on the bigger seedling and at least 4 on the younger one.

Looks like you missed real good.:thumb: Is that a little spider in the lower-left corner of the photo? Should probably keep her around to ward off the other creepy crawlies.

image26805.jpg

Indeed it I did miss very well and that is also a spider. I figure the more predatory insects around, the less likely I'll have another wasp/blowtorch incident.....

That is also a spider. I figure the more predatory insects around, the less likely I'll have another wasp/blowtorch incident.....

Anything to avoid bringing a blowtorch into the grow box. :rofl:

Just curious, how many watts of light are you running in your footlocker and space bucket?

The foot locker has 6 28w cfls, 3 2700k 3 6500k or something like that. The bucket has 4 28w 6500k cfls and 1 cree LED lightbulb, 2700k. I will add up to 25w of LEDs to the bucket and the foot locker... Once they get here lol

Cost/Benefit Analysis of Growing Pot

The foot locker has 6 28w cfls, 3 2700k 3 6500k or something like that. The bucket has 4 28w 6500k cfls and 1 cree LED lightbulb, 2700k. I will add up to 25w of LEDs to the bucket and the foot locker... Once they get here lol

Just a warning: this is a long rant about the cost/benefit analysis of growing pot. If that sounds boring, then I have succeeded.

When the LED strips arrive, that's 193-watts for the foot locker and 147-watts for the bucket (assuming you're currently using a 60w replacement Cree LED). If you shoot for .5-grams/watt in the foot locker, which is totally do-able, that little locker could net 3.5oz or more of bud. Looking at ways to improve your second grow, there are several main questions to consider: Can I add more light? More ventilation? Bigger pots? Temperature control? More space? More nutrients? A different medium? The list goes on and on.

Reading through you're last grow journal, I conclude that pot size was probably the largest limiting factor. What I have learned in my time of growing houseplants is that a tiny pot rarely produces more than a tiny plant. There isn't a ton of space in the foot locker, but I bet you could easily fit two 2-gallon fabric pots or one larger 3 or 5-gallon pot. I recommend the fabric pots because they air-prune the roots preventing the roots from circling the pot and strangling themselves in search of water and more fertile soil. On that note, you can fit a 2-gallon fabric pot perfectly into your space bucket (I know, I've tried). All that said, Dr. Ziggy grows some bomb plants in smaller pots (i.e. 1-5 gallons). DrZiggy's 2nd Journal - ACE Seeds - High Brix - LEDs

Next up is ventilation. I assume you're still using just a computer fan attached to a curved vent hose with a DIY carbon filter at the end. Or has that changed? Anyway, you should be able to feel some air coming through the carbon filters - if not, then you probably need more ventilation. If the air inside the box gets too stale it becomes laden with oxygen and deprived of carbon dioxide, which is like sitting in a car with the windows barely cracked on a warm summer day - probably not the best place to thrive. Honestly, just pulling off the hose and filter could more than double your air flow and probably won't cause any smell issues until later in flowering. The one fan in your space bucket will probably be enough because it's such a small space and it doesn't have anything impeding airflow like lengthy hoses or filters.

Since you're spending $30-40 in electricity over the length of each grow (in the foot locker alone), it makes sense that you'd want to maximize your yield. Let's just assume that lighting stays the same, but this time you spend $50 on bigger pots, more soil, and a couple fans and this grow yields 2oz instead of 1oz, and weed costs $200/oz - that saves you $150 on buying an extra ounce of weed. Of course this is all hypothetical, but it's possible and I have faith you can do it.

Some shots from my tiny tent 77 days from seed. To think that they all started in either a windowsill or a jimmy-rigged Omaha Steak cooler. Poor lil' ladies. :-(
IMG_68287.JPG

Bubblelicious Auto #1 in a 2-gallon fabric pot.
IMG_68358.JPG
IMG_68533.JPG
IMG_68524.JPG

Bubblelicious Auto #3 in a 1-gallon pot.
IMG_68364.JPG
IMG_68438.JPG
IMG_68456.JPG

:Namaste:

A toast to bud and more of it!

Thank you for your in depth post mysteryseeds.

In terms of ventilation, towards the end of the first grow I had to leave the box open an inch or two just to keep the temperatures down lol. The plants weren't all that stinky, and they are outside with lots of good airflow through the shed, so I actually just ditched the homemade scrubber. Now there's a lot more air moving through. Looking over my last grow I thought probably lights and ventilation were my two biggest issues, hoping to resolve that with the leds and the removal of the filter. The space bucket definitely has a much bigger pot than before, and I've been thinking about a more space efficient planter for the foot locker on the next grow.

More light, air, and soil.

Thank you for your in depth post mysteryseeds.

In terms of ventilation, towards the end of the first grow I had to leave the box open an inch or two just to keep the temperatures down lol. The plants weren't all that stinky, and they are outside with lots of good airflow through the shed, so I actually just ditched the homemade scrubber. Now there's a lot more air moving through. Looking over my last grow I thought probably lights and ventilation were my two biggest issues, hoping to resolve that with the leds and the removal of the filter. The space bucket definitely has a much bigger pot than before, and I've been thinking about a more space efficient planter for the foot locker on the next grow.

Glad you didn't take my rant as an affront to your grow; I, too, started from humble beginnings growing on a windowsill or in a jimmy-rigged cooler.

I agree with Volksbud that 193w of light should be plenty for that small space. To compare, my Mars Hydro II 400w LED only draws about 185-watts and I use that for my 27"x27"x63" tent (though I must admit that I added another 300w LED and two 26w CFLs for flowering).

Think about adding a computer fan that circulates air inside the footlocker - nothing huge, just enough to make the leaves rustle a little. You can parallel connect it with your current fan and not have to add another electrical plug.

As for pots, I'm still all about fabric pots for that tiny space. Check out the square fabric pots from GroPro: Gro Pro® Square Fabric Pots - Black | Sunlight Supply
You could easily grow two plants in a 5gal pot in that space, just use some LST to keep the plants separated. Or try four plants in four 1gal pots and grow a small Sea of Green (aka "SoG").

Hope all that gets your wheels turning. Here are some photos to showcase my evolution of growing:

Original grow box made with tin foil modge podged to the inside of an Omaha Steak cooler. The decorative pot on the right grew a 4-5" tall pinto bean plant and it never got any bigger. I recently harvested one, just one, bean pod that was nearly as big as the plant itself.

Added an extra CFL. The pepper plant on the right grew about twice that big, then stalled indefinitely.
IMG_20150324_145341.jpg

Cannabis finally makes an appearance in my cooler.
IMG_20150410_000410.jpg

My stealthy speaker box.
IMG_20150414_205735.jpg

My first day in the closet with a Mars Hydro II 400w LED.
IMG_20150410_122918.jpg

After my tent arrived.
IMG_63985.JPG

An 135w LED added to the speaker box, which I found out was way-to-powerful for that small space.
IMG_64212.JPG

IMG_64285.JPG

After combining all of my plants into the one tent.
IMG_65577.JPG

A cabinet that I found on the side of the road, turned grow box.
IMG_67366.JPG

Grow cabinet turned, clone/veg box.
IMG_67654.JPG

Final shot of my tent with 400w Mars Hydro II LED, 300 Mars Hydro LED, and 46-watts worth of CFLs. A total power draw of roughly 400-watts.
IMG_68614.JPG

Happy growing, Sir!

Wow awesome post mystery. So you grow in multiple boxes, or just constant flipping of the one??? Also does the height have advantages/ disadvantages? I say this cause your one box must be 7 ft tall and only 4 or so sq. ft. on the bottom. May be something I should look into on my next grow if I cant get a basement.

The perpetual set-up

Wow awesome post mystery. So you grow in multiple boxes, or just constant flipping of the one??? Also does the height have advantages/ disadvantages? I say this cause your one box must be 7 ft tall and only 4 or so sq. ft. on the bottom. May be something I should look into on my next grow if I cant get a basement.

Thanks. I currently have a tent and the grow cabinet up and working. I'm giving the speaker grow box and a Bubblelicious Auto seed to my roommate who wants to dabble in gardening. The Omaha Steak box is in the crawl space under the house, but I'll probably trash it soon.

The tent is only 5'3" tall and the cabinet is 5'0". I built a shelf in the cabinet, so now the top part which I use for vegging is 3'8" and lower part that I use for storage is 1'4". If for some reason I need the extra height in the cabinet, the shelf pops right out and gives me back the full 5'0". The plant you saw in the cabinet in my last post was Mystery #1 that turned out to be male. I chopped him up and put him in the freezer for smoothies. I just used the photo for reference.

This is my first grow and all the strains I'm growing are short plants, so height hasn't been a big issue yet. We'll see once I try my hand at sativas. Thinking I might try some Super Lemon Haze and Blue Dream clones that a friend possesses. That said, a few of my Papaya clones have rooted and I kind of want to try the Papaya again since it's been a hardy, easy to grow plant. Good thing the Bubblelicious only have a couple weeks left because the Papayas still have 50+ days to go. Ugh. #firsttimegrowerproblems

My cloning/vegging setup:
IMG_68996.JPG

In a few days, I'll transplant this to into Doc's HB mix and let them grow roots for a few days under the 32w CFL before switching on the 135w LED.
IMG_68913.JPG

I fucking love science!

Back
Top Bottom