Mokel's Aquafarm - DWC Mod - Northern Lights # 5 x Haze - First Grow Ever

mokel

Heya,
since i got some help with my little 'Katie' when i had some deficiencies by Emilya and rifleman i decided to start a Grow Journal so other might get some input and help to prevent deficiencies and other noob fails like i did some. Though i'm still very happy with her actual state as it is my first grow and my primary target was to have a beautiful lady growing and get a huge amount of experience during the progress for further, improved Grows :)

Sensi Seeds - Fem. Northern Lights #5 x Haze - 70% Sativa
35l GHE Aquafarm Mod - More Holes, Airstones, external Reservoir with Pump for Waterflow
Rockwool, Hydroton
Cooltube 600w MH Veg / 600w HPS Bloom
Hesi Hydro, Advanced Nutrients most of their stuff ... one by one those fancy pictured bottles kept showing up in my ferts closet :loopy:
my actual nute mix contains of RO water, Hesi Hydro Grow, Hesi Powerzyme, Hesi Root Complex, Hesi SuperVit, AN CalMag, AN B-52, AN Rhino Skin and a lot of my tea (explained later in this post, look for the root pic and the text next to it) :)
Indor Secret Jardin Darkroom 90 Rev Mk2.5 90cmx90cm with 460cfm inline Fan and Carbon Filter
Humidifier
Martini/Milwaukee PH55
Aquapro EC meter
Dennerle 190 RO Water Unit

Water Temps ~18°C/64.4F in the Morning ~24°C/75F before lights out
PH between 5.6 up to 6.1

Veg since 02.11 started with 0.2 ec, now at 1.6ec preparing for flowering by increasing ec the last days
RH from 70 in the early Days down to ~50% right now.
Veg Day Temperatures ~26°C/78F-28°C/82F
Veg Night Temperatures ~22°C/71F

It already started on Oct.18, when i put the little seed between 2 wet paper towels and placed them between 2 small, opposite faced plates. Not even 24h hrs later, little Katies first root emerged and she was put into a pre-soaked rockwool-cube the next day. The cube was then placed on one of the plates and covered by a small glass bowl to keep RH up for the first days.

After the first root tips started to emege, i made one of those mentioned mistakes, and put her into the Aquafarm .... way to soon, she could have at least established a lot more in her rockwool cube before putting her into the huge aquafarm because now she had so much space to put her roots into that she seemingly put nearly all her energy into that task :sleep:

lil'one lost in an 35l Aquafarm with full rez of 0.2 ec nuted water :lot-o-toke:
221010.jpg

7 Days Later:
291010.jpg

She then started to grow pretty nice ....
11-1
0111187.jpg

11-03
0311100.jpg

11-05
051110.jpg

... until i hit my mentioned deficiency and started a post 11-08, just two days after i unsuccessfully tried to fim her .... should have started with topping at my experience lvl, but anyway, mag deficiency in this case.

11-06 failed fimming
before:
061110.jpg
0511s.jpg

after:
0611c.jpg
0611cs.jpg

08-11 more pics about it are in my problem thread
leaf114.JPG
leaf1_2.JPG
leaf3_2.JPG
leaf3_3.JPG

As i later started to suspect, my Strain loves an additional dose of magnesium to grow properly, as i had to up the dose much more then any for any other nute as she started to show slight deficiency again a week ago, which stopped after aplying more CalMag :)

11-11
111195.jpg

14-11
141112.jpg
1411s.jpg

17-11 - as you can see, i started pulling branches to spots where i wanted them to grow after some fan leaves had to go ....
171110.jpg
1711s.jpg

19-11
1911s.jpg

191110.jpg

i noticed some brown goey stuff sticking to my roots at some point .... clogged hesi powerzyme, at least it smelled 100% like the stuff in that bottle, no brown slime or anything else that bad but i think i too care of that some days later ....

you can see some of the sticky stuff on the front main root branch, near the bottom of the aquafarm bucket, the orange seeming stuff, had some clear, amber sticky stuff there too, but not visible and all the same smelling like powerzyme ....
roots54.jpg

i took care of that by now, at least i hope so, by flooding my res with tea i brewed out of an piranha, tarantula and voodoo juice (brewed for 48h until it stopped smelling like molasses first, then beer brewing next and finally hit the same odor as the an products used as base) . The first day after applying the yellow fluid the water started to get murky, i couldn't see my pump at the tank bottom any longer and my ph kept falling for 24h (always up before, never down) so i had to use some soda to get it up again and then it stopped ...
the water got clear again (i put a cup of the refrigerated tea into my res every day since then), ph is rising again, but at a much slower rate then ever before, now only have to adjust once a day not several times and plant seems to thrive since then and several really fuzzy new roots have emerged right above the rockwool cube :)

20-11 - as i started to worry about her hight, i checked my failed fimming and topped her, then installed my selfmade scrog screen
201110.jpg
2011s.jpg

22-11
221110.jpg
2211s.jpg

24-11 - some defoliation done to get some light to additional nodes
241110.JPG
2411s.JPG

26-11
261110.JPG
2611s.JPG

2611cs.JPG

Today was last day in Veg, Bloom starts tomorrow as i'm starting to fear she might outgrow my tent otherwise :)

My actual schedule

Flower stage Starting 11-27
Bloom Day Temp ~26°C/78F
Bloom Night Temp ~18°C/64F

So stay tuned for further developments and put your comments, questions and suggestions down here in this thread, i'll try to answer as soon as possible and post daily updates from now on.

:thanks: for reading :)

moin moin (hey folks), daily plant pics upload, i'm normally doing some photos at around this time to see how she's developing :)

but first a little insight into my small grow tent, nothing special except maybe the little raspberry pi and the sense-hat you might notice in the upper right corner above my carbon filter. i had planed to use much more sensors, but due funding and time issues, more modifications are done for the next grows i think :)
right now the pi only has a sense hat connected, enabling him to measure RH, temperature and air pressure and sending them via wlan to a logging server.
in the future i want to upgrade my pi with additional sensors like ph, ec, water temperature, ir cam and air sensors which can measure co² and other stuff in the air and adding some usb capble sockets, so ventilation and stuff like adding ro water or ph-/ph+ to the res can be automated :)
pi1.JPG

but now the daily plant pics :circle-of-love:
281110.JPG

2811s.JPG

till next time and :thanks: for reading

Tomorrow morning started with an nearly empty reservoir and an nearly overflowing aquafarm as several roots had blocked the drainage :rolleyes3

i removed some tape so you might see the roots inside the hose
roots_blockade.JPG

and while moving the roots out of the hose, i tried to take a pic of them but only succeeded with a crappy mobile shot ... they look really nice, white and healthy :)
roots2.png

after taking care of my plant for 2 hours, it's finally time to get some breakfast myself ;)

aha here you are..

Kinda similar setup, although your setup gives the impression of being more high-tech :p
I'm not cooling the bulb with outside air, but you got more wattage and a smaller space.
and looks like it's a waterfarm, not an aquafarm
same thing bit smaller.

Northern Lights, that takes me back to the 90's :)

and I probably should get into scrogging as well.

curious to see how this will turn out.. hope she blooms well

heya Fenderbender,
it might look a little bit small on those pictures, but it is a 35l - 45.5x45.5x43 ghe aquafarm for sure.
the whole tent is in my kitchen and i'm sucking in 10°C/ 50F cold air in from outside so i can reduce the necessary cooling airflow which benefits my RH a lot, could boost it up to 70% with that little airflow, but trying to keep it close to 50% for bloom, and yeah, i kinda took the 'read a month about it' then go over the top approach for a first grow ... a friend once said i'm either not trying because i don't care or i'm at 1000% which is why i even got a RO Unit .... my tap water ec is 0.4 which is already pretty good as far as i can tell :)

i think she's looking gorgeous after her first week in flower :kiss:
made some more pics a sec ago and will upload them with yesterdays picture update i hadn't posted yet

12-04
041210.JPG

0412s.JPG

i made 3 pics of different nodes just a minute ago, from left to right as the numbers are way to small to see it in the first picture ...

2015-12-05_10_04_55-IMG_0018.jpg

bloom32.JPG

bloom23.JPG

bloom13.JPG

edit:
wohooo post count 50 i can start harass people by pm :laughtwo:

my little brother had grown once, some super skunk back in '96 but all i did was driving him and his plants through the city when he had to move out .... during flower .... still remember the police car driving behind us like 5 mins while i had those smelly plants covered with those damn not fully opaque bags in the back of the car ... *shudder*

i've started to grow because quality was degrading within the last years :(
dunno, but i'm not even sure anymore the weed i get is ok ... got some weed that hadn't been flushed at least maybe even brixed or worse ... several years ago there was a case with lead(!!!) in another city ................

and of course i'm loving it, i'm smoking since 20 years now and never had the personal joy of growing my own supply, it's great and fascinating. i can't wait to smoke my first self-grown weed even if i really fear and anticipate the harvest day as i will lose my first plant. furthermore i'm totally nervous every time i add nutes, take a leaf, tuck her into the scrog ... everything ... will it be the right thing to do ? will everything be ok? will she like it ? it's really stressing me by now and i hope at least the stress part will be lesser in my next grows xD

but now today's photos :)

051210.JPG

0512s.JPG

i hope so :)
though i got some leaf issues, nothing serious i hope and some of them are older problems if i'm correct, i just don't have the experience yet so it might be serious, who knows ... i don't :)

so i made another problem thread, maybe i can put them together some time and make a beginners fault journal about them, could be helpful for other newbs like me, at least i can make high quality pics of my fails for comparison :)

(Problems in Bloom or not ?)

Back
Top Bottom