Tale of Two Widows - White Widow - DWC - Grow

Are these both White Widows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J Washington

I have been a long time reader of the 420 forums as a non member and thank the community for all I have learned. I became a member last week in the midst of my 5th grow of two White Widows.

20151204_202011.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/1043898

Please help me here. Are both plants White Widows? I am puzzled by the drastic differences in the Widow on the left (WW1) and Widow on the right (WW2). The girl in the middle by the way is a clone of WW1. We'll call her WW1c, who, by the way, looks identical to her Mama, but a mini me at best. The seed source of WW1 & WW2 was the same. The picture is day 23 flower.

I ordered White Widow feminized seeds from a reputable UK company about 4 years ago and have grown some WW in every grow since. The current grow is WW only as you see it above. I think???

My 4th grow yielded a few (maybe 10) WW seeds which I gladly added to my collection of WW seeds (parent feminized seeds), but did not label them as next generation seeds. Sometime in September I germinated 3 seeds from the WW collection. One rooted in fast! That was WW1. She was ready to go into veg about 6 days before WW2. The third seedling was discarded. WW1 spent the first 6 days of veg under an 8 bulb, 2'x4' T-5 fixture, approximately 500 watts.

I switched to a 2'x4' LED (1000 watt equiv.) fixture on day 7 at which time introduced WW2 to veg. So, WW1 vegged 6 days longer under T-5 and both have been under LED since and we are almost at 4 weeks of flower as I write.

Allow me to add one more thing that is in the back of my mind. I think there is a remote possibility that in an altered state of mind, another strain of seed may have found its way into the WW collection. You see, also in grow 4 I grew a freebie that the seed company sent me a few years ago, feminized Northern Lights + Skunk and she too spun off 2, maybe 3 seeds which "I was sure" I put in a separate container from the WW collection.

Grow room environment since October 10, 2015

Lighting - LED (1000 W equiv.)
Medium - DWC 5 gal. hydro
Nutrients - 2 part Dutch Pro, Multi, Take Root, Explode
Additives - P/K, sea weed, Ca Mg, (carbs will be added at the end)
Use of portable and adjustable ScrOGs with 21" transparent screens set 10" above net pot.

Let me take you back to the first day of veg before you help me with the WW question. Here is WW1 on right and WW2 on left, October 10th, first day of LED.

WW1 was topped on Oct. 7 and again on Oct. 30 at which time was put into the portable ScrOG. and was initially set at 12" above the net pot and lowered to 10" after LST began.

Below is WW1 first topping site under the canopy. Picture taken November 7th.

WW1 top view fills about 75% of the screen.

WW2 top view fills about 25% of the screen (sorry it is off center). See topping site.

Side by side November 7, 2015

Unfortunately, I could not let the plants spread too long under the screen during veg because of an upcoming trip. I am the sole gardener and needed to have harvest, drying and 1 week of cure taken care of before my trip. I had to switch to 12/12 lighting on November 11 to accomplish this goal. So, WW1 vegged for 38 days and WW2 vegged for 32 days. Once again, the picture at the top is day 23F for both plants, but they look so different. They have both done a fairly decent job spreading in early flower, but that has come to a halt. Buds are forming and trichomes developing. WW1 buds are dense and fattening up nicely. WW2 has wispy buds, not dense at all. They each are a different shade of green but both have very healthy foliage. Are they both White Widow? I sure hope so because White Widow is my fav!

That lingering thought of the Northern Light seed finding its way into my "White Widow" grow is put to rest daily when that aroma comes lofting out of the room. Northern Lights (NL) smells dramatically different than WW and grows differently as an Indica. The NL I grew last year was very difficult and tricky to ScrOG and do LST on. Both WW1 and WW2 ScrOG well and respond to LST as you would like and expect.

November 13th, 2015, WW1

November 13, 2015, WW2

Leaves from today December 7, 2015

Are these both WW or is one an imposter?

Here is week 2 flower with no LEDs, November 25, 2015. WW1 on top. These two don't even look like distant cousins. What do you think?

Here is week 3 flower, December 2, 2015. WW1 on left WW1c in middle and WW2 on right. I guess they could both be White Widow and not look alike. My sisters and I don't look anything alike! WW1 smells heavenly and WW2 has very little aroma. Late bloomer? They have both filled the screen fairly well during early flower stretch. WW1 is going to be a monster. Some of its buds are already 4" long and dense. :thumb: Can't wait! I pray it is WW. What do you think?

I just spent half the day writing and bringing this grow journal up to date and plan to post each week of flower or in the event of a surprise. Next post will be December 9, day 28F. I am beginning to think (and hope) that WW1 is in fact White Widow. WW2 is either not or just the ugly sister. What do you think?

Thanks so much for triggering my biology education. Had to sort through the cob webs at age 63, 45 years of consumption and only 4.5 grows. You are probably right. I looked again last night and compared the NL seeds to WW seeds. I doubt I would have mixed them up. They look quite different. Thanks again. I will post day 28 today...

Thanks you are probably right on the phenotype. Took a closer look at the seeds last night and don't think I would have made that mistake given that they look so different. I'll post 28F today. WW1 and WW1c are the best I have ever grown and I attribute it most to the new LED fixture. Thanks again!

On day 35f I see that the lanky strange sister (WW2) is coming of age. It's kinda like the long lanky sister of your high school heart throb. Suddenly my favorite girl's sister comes of age and I wonder how I overlooked her early on. Know what I mean? Same thing with WW2. She is coming of age. Both are so pretty, I couldn't help but take a sampling of their undergrowth. mmmmmm, so good...can hardly wait for final product!!

On day 35f I see that the lanky strange sister (WW2) is coming of age. It's kinda like the long lanky sister of your high school heart throb. Suddenly my favorite girl's sister comes of age and I wonder how I overlooked her early on. Know what I mean? Same thing with WW2. She is coming of age. Both are so pretty, I couldn't help but take a sampling of their undergrowth. mmmmmm, so good...can hardly wait for final product!!
20151216_075331.jpg
20151216_075314.jpg
20151216_075254.jpg
20151216_075228.jpg
20151216_075206.jpg
20151216_074855.jpg
20151216_074753.jpg
20151216_074346.jpg
20151209_075654.jpg

Back
Top Bottom