H0bbyGr0wer89 - Soil - White Widow - 2016

H0bbyGr0wer89

Hello all,

First time grower here - I posted in the "welcome" section and was encouraged to start a grow journal. So, here I am! Any and all feedback, comments, suggestions, and/or knowledge-drops are welcomed and highly encouraged. I want to learn! :)

Strain: White Widow
Grown from: Seed (feminized)
Medium: Soil (Manna Organic Coco)
Container: 5 Gallon Cloth

Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients (Micro, Grow, Bloom, Big Bud)
Other: SuperThrive, Molasses, Up/Down Water PH (PH'd to 5.8)

Lighting: 300 Watt Mars Hydro 2
Environment: 40"x40"x80" Matrix grow tent
Ventilation: 6" ducting fan (INLET), Charcoal Filter (OUTLET), circulation fan
Temperature: Module activates inlet (cooling) and mini heater (heating) to maintain 74F (+/- 2F).
Humidity: I simply increase OUTLET (Charcoal filter) to decrease humidity (RH @ ~55% currently)
Other Monitoring: Remote Temp/RH monitor, WIFI Camera - 950nm IR ("invisible" to the plant?) for night vision.

Methods (1): I have been pulling dead-end water leafs that are in crowded areas and/or not receiving much light (probably shooting myself in the foot on this one).
Methods (2): I have been "training" the non-water-leaf branched away from the main stem, theoretically to separate them out into new secondary main stems.
Methods (3): In a way, I have tried to lollipop the plant durring vegetative growth with the plucking of specific water leafs and training the branches.

---------------------

I am learning as I go and I have hit two notable setbacks along the way. First, she got a very slow start due to me figuring out the type of lighting - she didn't have proper lighting for the first couple weeks. Second, she had some pretty bad transplant shock - Ive never seen a plant so wilty in my life (she recovered in about 1 week or so). I am now approximately 9 weeks along (since planting my germinated seed) and started flowering recently, on 01/06/16. I am now using "Micro," "Bloom," and 1 TBS Molasses per gallon - water PH'd to 5.8.

Estimated timeline:
Week of November 7: Germination
Week of November 9: Planted Seed in soil (18/6)
Week of December 14: Transplant shock
Week of January 4: Begin Flowering (12/12)

Chronological Photos: (skip to the bottom for current-state)
20151115_191011.jpg

20151124_104402.jpg

20151216_140011.jpg

20151229_101010.jpg
14521209569141500572045.jpg
20160107_121959.jpg
20160107_125023.jpg
20160111_112935.jpg

20160111_112905-1.jpg

20160107_121907.jpg

Thanks, Artee! Was hoping for a response soon :)

I love pics, so here are two more...

1) My current environment Temp/RH: (75 F / 52% RH)
20160111_183948.jpg

2) She seems to already be getting some frost at the very top (12/12 for about 5 days):
tempFileForShare_2016-01-11-19-03-38.jpg

Plant looks good, great color looks like she took to the transplant nicely.
I'm on day 5 of my Crop king fem. White Widows (5 of them) from seed. And 30 or so days my BC Blueberry which I will be only taking clones from. I'm going With DWC in 20 gallon rubbermaids with them.
Looking forward to your posts!

I'll be doing DWC in 5 gallon buckets (each plant) next! I'm curious how yours comes along - I'm still not sure of DWC is "better" than soil? I've heard that soil actually yields higher quality, but hydro systems simply grow quicker and have more yield.

I'm trying to grow the most potent, sticky, pungent, delicious, highest quality... so I will sacrifice time and yield for quality. Then, there's some that believe that hydro is better in every regard.

I guess I won't know until I do both and see for myself...

Hey guys - need some help.

I have one F*ck up and two other questions.

First - I went into my tent today (light cycle) to mess with a few things when I look over and notice that my LED flashlight is on (white light) that I use to turn off my grow lights so that I am not blinded (Picture below). So... apparently I accidentally left it on at some point and I am not sure how long it was on for. My guess is that it was about 2-3 days into 12/12 and I am now at day 6 of 12/12. A bit worried I tricked her into beginning to flower and then left that light on just 3 days after and confused her - think she will hermie? Turned it off and back to 12/12/ now. *FACE-PALM*

20160112_180013.jpg

Second - I noticed the very tips of two leaves on the plant (extremely minor - but wanted to get ahead of any issues) were kinda brown / bleached. Is this something I should correct? I am not using cal mag...

20160112_173852.jpg

Lastly - this one is easy and not important at all. Should I take off all of this small growth on the bottom branches? Looks like tiny small growth that isn't really doing much... but I dont want to pull it if it would potentially turn into growth that will bud.

20160112_174417.jpg

I do hydro just for the simplicity of it and no dirt to get rid off. Sorry to here about your light being on, I would just go back to your regular flower cycle 12/12 and she should be fine. As for picking at the plant, I would just leave her along cause she's going to stretch you have 9 weeks to pick at her.

Thanks, hydro! That's what I was thinking - just needed some confirmation since I don't necessarily know what I am doing lol.

PS: I have come across seeds of a VERY RARE landrace Chinese (pure) sativa strain - this was the description I recieved:

"supply is non existent on the market which is the reason we are not advertising or selling it through our website. The strain isn't as resinous as the pure indicas but its high is the stuff of legends if you like a "working" high that is euphoric and uplifting. A few extra puffs takes the high to very psychedelic.- The color of the dried buds is a blondish red with streaks of purple. The density of the buds is not as tight as an indica but more airy typical of pure sativas. The yields are phenomenal when growing outdoors - indoors yields are very good."

I am EXTREMELY excited to grow this strain. Very curious about the "psychedelic" properties.

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

The tip is most likely I little nute burn probubly nothing to worry about. My blue berry girl had the same thing gave her straight ph water for a week, which is 2 waterings. I have her in 3" pot with 1/4 soil and 3/4 gravel cleaned from the driveway, I water her the same as my hydro in 3 days she is bone dry. I planed on putting her in DWC. She showed her sex at 26-29 days from seed so had to keep her for a mom..

Yup, I wouldn't worry too much about the light issue, at least it was very early into the flowering switch and I wouldn't guess you'd have any issues from it.

As for the nute burn, just keep in mind it won't be repaired, look for progression and check the newest growth for continuing nute issues.

Thanks, guys!

For the record, let's revise the 12/12 cycle to start January 13 (tomorrow) - since tonight will be the first 12 hours sleep after discovering the screw up.

I have GREAT news!

After last night's 12 hours of sleep and today's 12 hours of light... she sprouted up pistols everywhere - none of which were there this morning. Perhaps the light issue wasn't even enough to really phase her...

Here's a photo:
20160113_221906.jpg

Schweet. How long you planning to flower?
As long as it takes! I'm going for the highest QUALITY that I can squeeze out of her - I'll sacrifice time and yield, if needed.

I will monitor the trichoms and want 50/50 frosty and amber I think. How do I know when to flush to have her ready at that stage? Right when they turn frosty? I know that's a tough question...

Thanks!

Yeah, you won't get a real straight answer out of anybody, or at least I never did. Seems one of the hardest parts is deciding when to start the final flush and water only stretch.

We're flying by the seat of our pants and hoping to learn something in the process, and I'll learn from watching you as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom