AKA thank the stars that AK48 is tougher than my ignorance

strain-Nirvana AK 48
just changed to 12/12 light schedule 4/28
vegged ~43 days
DWC
medium-clay pellets
using Dyna-grow nutes, Grow & ProTekt for veg, Bloom & ProTekt for flower
Advanced LED DS XTE 100 grow light

So, complete n00b grower here. Not even a very experienced smoker. Smoked plenty years ago but never even cared what I was smoking or where it came from. Now I'd rather grow my own meds than trying to find a connection. Soooo...here we go.

Put 2 seeds in rockwool starter cubes 3/7. Had built a cabinet and a top feed DWC bubbler. Started a 5 time a day watering system and nearly drowned them both. They survived though. Ditched the top feed feed portion. Monitoring temps and humidity, seemed ok at the beginning. Cabinet in my garage. Temps ranging from 68 to 80 F. Humidity was ranging 60-80% the first week. The week after though, temps crept into the 90s and humidity wouldn't fall below 80%. I quickly realized that living in the crotch of the US wasn't conducive to a cabinet grow in the garage without cooling. Bought a small dehumidifier and used frozen water bottles to keep the temps down while coming up with a better long term solution. Settled on a mini-fridge. Bought a mini-fridge and cut some vent holes in the door and top. Cut a slit for the light in the top. Had to buy a smaller container to hold the plants. Was still hopeful that both would be okay in the fridge.

So, in the fridge. Lots of issues still with temperature. Added a second dehumidifier. Able to keep the humidity below 65% pretty easily (outdoor humidity has been right near 100% for weeks now). Big issue though is that if I have the vent fan going on the top, it pulls the air right over the cold plate, which causes condensation, which causes the cold plate to cover over in ice, which makes it stop cooling. SO i've realized that leaving the fan off seems to work best. I won't turn on the exhaust fan again unless the plants look like they are suffering. Temps have been staying between 60-75 now. Just added a Johnson controller to see If I can make it even more stable.

Gotta be discreet...
IMG_096034.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_096432.jpg

So, up until this point, the plants have been overwatered, nute burned, had large temp swings, had a dehumidifier fall on them (one was squished completely under it, the other had about half of its radius squished), the one that was most squished recovered a bit, then as I was moving it to the new container it got dropped and landed top down from about 4 feet up, and had some algae in the reservoir.

So, after vegging for 40+ days, decided to switch the lights to flowering. Turned them to total darkness for 36 hours. When I set the light timer for 12/12 set it wrong so they were in light for about 2 hours. 🤦 So in 48 hours, they had 2 hours of light. So I got the timer corrected, then when I put the box over the fridge, it hit the timer and caused the lights to come on 7 hours too soon. So I'm much more careful now with the box.

Since the algae, I've watched the res temps more closely. Its staying around 68 F now. I also change the res every 5 days instead. Its a small res that I've been putting about 1.5 gal of water in. Set the pH to 5.4 and over the next 2 days it rises to 6.1. Let it stay there for a day, then drop it back to 5.4, let it go 2 more days and change the res.

Which brings us to this morning.
IMG_096530.jpg

Finally accepted the fact that the space was too small for both plants, so Rambo (the smaller plant that survived being dropped and squished) had to go. Pulled her out and put her in the ground out where hopefully no one will stumble upon and it won't die. (I doubt it will survive, but I've said that many times up to this point). I will try to continue to learn from it.

So now here we are.
IMG_096639.jpg

In new res water with a pH of 5.4, 7cc of ProTekt, 19 cc of Bloom in 1.5 gal of distilled water for a ppm of 710. Res temp of 60F. Box temp of 74F and RH of 50%. Ygrette (because everytime I look at her, I hear her say "You know nothing, Jon Snow") seems much more comfy with her sister gone. I'll get a few pics with the LEDs off later on. Maybe not until tomorrow, but they will come.

Anyway, thanks for watching and stay tuned to see how I screw up and try to kill her tomorrow!

PS I never expected much from this grow, figured it would be wrought with problems while I am figuring things out. Any yield at all I will consider a bonus!

Some more things of note. Nearly the entire veg period was done under only blue light to keep them short. I'd say it definitely worked. Next time I will put more red in earlier. Although now she has room to stretch and still be ok.

The next grow for sure I will SCROG. I haven't decided if I will try to use a screen this time or just see how it plays out. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am quite worried that my fridge just isn't big enough without a SCROG.

The seeds were feminized. I didn't specify that before.

The little blue square hanging in the middle of the last LED pic is my newest toy/obsession. It connects to my phone and shows me the temperature and humidity in real time. It even graphs it. Very cool. You can even export the data into excel if you so desire. Its helped me realize that the temps are 10+ degrees higher where the square is hanging vs the other thermometer on top of the reservoir. So the temps at the top of the plant are getting up to around 88F. I'm not too worried about it as Ygrette still seems happy with it. I'd like to make it cooler, but if that's where it stays then so be it.

Hey man decided to check out your grow and its exactly what I had in mind for my other fridge grow we should trade tips and info I like your setup man. I had a ton of problems with temps to but I was able to rig up a really nice ventilation system. And it keeps my temps around 80-85 all day long. However mine is in an air conditioned room so that could have something to do with it XD keep us updated. I reall want to see how your grow turns out

Hey man decided to check out your grow and its exactly what I had in mind for my other fridge grow we should trade tips and info I like your setup man. I had a ton of problems with temps to but I was able to rig up a really nice ventilation system. And it keeps my temps around 80-85 all day long. However mine is in an air conditioned room so that could have something to do with it XD keep us updated. I reall want to see how your grow turns out
Yeah I could solve a lot of problems by moving inside but its just not a practical option for me right now. I think this setup will do fine once I get the bugs worked out. I appreciate the encouragement. I will definitely share any secrets I happen to stumble upon. Stay tuned...

So I may be in trouble. So when I turned the lights to 12/12 Ygrette was 5.5" tall and 12.5" across at the widest point. 7 days later she's 9" tall and 18" across. I planned for even tripling in size but at this rate she will easily surpass that. I'm thinking of either putting a screen in. The slot for the screen (modified fridge shelf) is about 2 inches from where she is now. I may also have to turn down some of the red spectrum of the light until her stretch is over. Anyway...enough jabbering. Here's what you came for.

IMG_097035.JPG

IMG_097134.JPG

IMG_097335.JPG

The good news is that the environment seems much more stable now. Daytime temps topping out at 78 and nightime staying at 62. Humidity staying right around 60%. Res temps from 65-71. I set the pH to 5.4 on 4/30 when I changed the water and it has slowly crept up to 5.9 today. Ppm gradually dropped from 710 on 4/30 to 640 today. SO, over all I have to say I'm quite pleased with how things are shaping up.

She is definitely going to fill the whole space even if I don't put in a screen. I'm mostly worried about light burn once she gets closer to the light. Advanced states on their site to keep the plants 18" away from the light. She's already closer than that. Hmmm....

Great setup
This was where my growing ideas started, I had an old freezer and was gonna convert it but I built a box a similar size instead. I look forward to seeing how you get on. :passitleft:

Love the creativity!
Welcome aboard. The capt. has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign as we expect some mild turbulence. :riskybusiness:

I like your expectations, "any yield is a bonus". I should start thinking that way myself. I'm just hatching seeds and have 6 in solo cups that haven't broken ground. They are going to be outside plants, I have a fence up to keep out deer and rabbits.

I've got some dwarf seeds coming and will leave them out on one of my decks in 5 gallon pails if they hatch. I'm looking at grow tents however having plants in the house will attract attention from my kids when they visit.

Thanks for sharing your journey in the journal.

Back
Top Bottom