Inside Out Grow 2016 - Jack Herer - Blue God & Afghani

Which pheno type will be the best of them all?

• Blue God Pheno 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Herer Pheno 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hardboiled

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I started my 2016 grow from seed. I popped 7 Blue God (JOTI), 4 autofem Jack Herer (CK), and 4 Afghani (JOTI) on April 1st. After some paper towels and water, they went into soil and under a 20' flouro until they got the dirt off of their backs and reached 2nd leaf stage :)cheertwo:) All seeds germinated, but one of the seeds (BG) wasn't very robust, and didn't/couldn't shed its' seed husk. So, I shed it.

I use SunGro pro-mix straight up right now. They were fertilized in week three with a nitrogen heavy watersol non-chem fert. On 2 of the BG's (I'll call these BGP1 - for 'blue god pheno 1), couple of the first leaves on the plant were yellowing and wilting/dying off. It doesn't look like an N deficiency to me, just shedding low performers. BGP2 hasn't done this.

Under a 400w HPS since, they're coming along well under 16/8. I'm using an oversized bathtub with mylar on the sides for reflection. Growth was slow and steady (hurry up dammit!) for the first couple of weeks, then, the turbo kicked in.

I didn't germinate all of them at once, staggering 4 BD, 4 JH, and then 4 more BD a week later, then the 4 afghani's a week after that. I will be size constrained until I can get them outside, and I don't want to need a machete to take a whizz.

I plan to grow inside until 3rd or 4th week in May, because of where I live. It still gets down into the low 50's, and these girls only have bikinis, no winter gear.

I've been cycling outside during the day when the sun is out, way better to give them the big bulb in the sky whenever possible.

Since the 3rd week in April, growth has been.....ridiculous. The BD's are fountains, and the JH are gorgeous.

The only real note is how strong the phenos are showing in each of the strains. The BD's have 2 distinct looks - they like two completely different plants. Funny enough, there are 2 of each.

Same with the JH.

One of the JH looks classic sativa, and is a good candidate for a centerfold. The other JH pheno is chunky, hybrid like.

I noticed a strong smell past couple of days :)yahoo:), and it was easy to find the culprit (a BD). I am amazed the BD would sex so early, especially with odor. It's only been 3 1/2 weeks from seed!

They're about 12 inches tall, and I'm happy with the internode spacing and general development.

The JH (being a week behind) were naturally smaller, but they've made up for lost time. The best growing JH is now the same height as the first BD's.

I'll update this every week or two, and give y'all these ladies' life story. And, since a picture says a thousand words, here is some snaps of them in action. I've separated the phenos out in the photos. The Afghani's are about 7-9 days after going in the dirt.

here's BGP1 and BGP2, left and right respectively
IMG_20160427_124146_hdr.jpg

BGP1 & 2 from the top - are they even the same plant?!?!
ZxBYvTB.jpg

here's the JHP1 - great looking sativa qualities
2RnhqZE.jpg

top view of the JHP1 & 2. Again, quite the difference in genetics showing here...
OBxsNqa.jpg

and finally, our immigrant land race, the best Afghani so far....they'll likely be curvy girls :icon_cool
2ACASBg.jpg

peace

re: Inside Out Grow 2016 - Jack Herer - Blue God & Afghani

What's up hardboiled, your pics need to uploaded to the 420 Magazine gallery for it to remain posted.
Check out this link for info on how to upload your nice plant pics to your gallery.
Picture uploads and resize tutorial
Give that a glance and we'll get those pics up on screen proper. Welcome to the forums!

KiG :green_heart:cheers

No I can't take credit for much of what I know. I'm a product of this 420 Magazine.

Almost everything I know came from here

I think you're in for a real treat!

Check out my video journal for lots of kool stuff!

All Canadians so far, eh? Sounds good to me!

I'm always amazed at how different phenotypes can make the plants look so different. Can't to wait to see how yours grow!

I'm doing a JH [pheno] from Greenhouse Seeds. Both of mine are I think 70/30 indica/sativa which kinda shocked me cause I thought JH was more sativa but it makes sense to add indica in the mix....but damn they are bushier then imagined. my Super silver haze looks more like what I expected but that's 70/30 sativa/indica.....I like the look of the 1st pheno you got going. I'd like to know if there is a significant difference in smoke/smell. Lookin good all around :goodjob::thumb:

The grow is coming along, lots of new growth and height. Differences in phenos in the Jack Herer remain, and are getting stronger.

The Blue God on the other hand is behaving a little differently. What began as two distinct phenos is coming together now, with all new growth becoming more like BGP2. There is still the initial bulbous fat leaves (and hard yellowing of lower leaves) on BGP1, but, all new growth is looking closer and closer to BGP2. Even color.

First, let's start with a group shot. Jack Herer are the four on the left, the rest are Blue God
IMG_20160505_131811_hdr.jpg

Here's BGP2 & BGP1 side by side. Almost all of the new growth on top of #1 is looking more 'normal'
IMG_20160505_132700_hdr.jpg

Here's the three younger Blue Gods. There about 3 weeks behind the first. Pheno differences abound, the one on the left looks almost sativa like, but there isn't any in there....
IMG_20160505_132116_hdr.jpg

JHP1
IMG_20160505_131925_hdr.jpg

JHP2
IMG_20160505_131838_hdr.jpg

Another Jack. Kinda like #2, but....not. Wrinkly leaves, funky shape. wth?!? Same age, same light, same bat channel
IMG_20160505_131947_hdr.jpg

And the little ones of the family, the afghani, coming along...
IMG_20160505_132216_hdr.jpg

Lots of new growth, some transplanting, and a move to outdoors.

The plants are coming along well. The phenos in the Blue Gods are converging. New growth has started to look like each other, the chunkiness and fat leaves are leaving. Blue God 1 & 2 are almost hard to tell apart now, except for lower growth. And, nature is giving us the natural - 2 ladies, 2 men so far confirmed. I'm considering growing out the best male, maybe reading up here on some pollination techniques, and seeing what I can do to get hardboiled's seed bank started.

The Jack Herer from Crop King remains in 2 basic phenos - the first pheno being more robust and growing/flowering stronger than their sisters. The centerfold now has her own spot in a 5 gallon pail outside. It was the best starter of the Jack's, and is tearing into flowering with zest.

The ruderalis in her is something I've never grown before. It's definitely stunting the height - I've not seen a lil' gal like this mature or flower this fast! Flowers and bud sites are looking really good. Last grow I did was a decade ago. Auto's were not considered easy, nor quality. I'm curious how far they've come.

IMG_20160516_123515.jpg

Here's the three remaining Jack Herer's. The phenos are still pretty distinct, as is growth. The other Pheno 1 is flowering and coming along well. The Pheno 2 is slower, but bud sites are now in production and coming along. Growing out autos is pretty idiot proof. I hope the yield is ok. Time will tell....

IMG_20160516_121858.jpg

The 6 week old Blue Gods (from seed) are staying sharp, although there is a male in the chick's locker room.

IMG_20160516_121850.jpg

The 4 week old Blue Gods are progressing. No heck, but, I'm thinking they need some more space and nutes to come along. Definitely different vigor across the phenos....

IMG_20160516_121845.jpg

From the top....

IMG_20160516_121948.jpg

6 week old Blue God from the top. The one on the left is a dude....

IMG_20160516_121922_1_.jpg

The best Blue God of the bunch. Female, with some crystal resin showing, and smelly. She found a sunny place in the forest today to live out her life in peace.

IMG_20160516_123534.jpg

And finally, our immigrants. The Afghani land race, showing good homogeneity across the 4 plants, but 2 are definitely stronger than the other 2.....

First, side....

IMG_20160516_122251.jpg

Then top of the Afghani's....

IMG_20160516_122308.jpg

They smell hashy, and are gorgeous.

Got 4 in the ground outdoors. Next bit to come soon. The way these Jack's are going, I'll be smoking in a few months :thumb:

What a difference 3 weeks makes. The Blue Gods have been in the ground since then, and are a little over 4' now. Of the 7 started, I got 5 females :)

The pheno differences have all but disappeared. The best performing of the Blue Gods is still a little different though, it has large fan leaves, and a really deep blue/green color I've never seen before. It's a beauty, and over 4' already. If we have a good summer....I'll need a chainsaw by the end of September.

Here's one of them beside a Jack Herer autoflower. The Jacks are really putting out resin and smell amazing. They should be done in about a month....I really like how easy auto fem'd are, but defo smalled because of the ruderalis.

IMG_20160605_165156.jpg

Here's the best Jack - Pheno #1, in a 5 gallon bucket. It was left by the owner of the property, and had holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. I put some lightproof plastic around it, as the bucket is white, and I didn't want any light hitting the roots.

IMG_20160605_164646_1_.jpg

Resin!

IMG_20160605_174549.jpg

And finally, the Afghani immigrants in a sunny spot. 3/4 were females, another good outcome. Lucky this time around :cheer:

The one farthest away from the camera was a Blue God that wasn't doing as well as the others. It was left in a pot until last week. It's starting to catch up now, plenty of good budsites, and lots of sun so far!

IMG_20160605_174728.jpg

The afghanis are heirloom I'm guessing, not landrace. Prolly why each of the afghanis is different.

We have a short, deep green one (expected), a light colored one with little branching, and your everyday average looking pot plant as the third. All same age, pots, soil, watering.

I didn't expect phenos in an heirloom, but, I'm really new to biology, and it don't come easy.

I wonder if these are phenos or just natural? If I tried Crop King or Sensi or Greenhouse seeds, would the same thing happen?

Happy Solstice Everyone!!!! A once in a 70 year event too....a 'strawberry moon'!

What a difference 2 weeks make! the Gods are outside, and all but one is over 5' already. Longest day of the year here is full of sunshine, and good vibes.

The Jack Herer autos from Crop King have amazed me. Having heard autos suck (this was 10 years ago), and seeing they'd been backcrossed and stabilized into 'traditional' genetics (6 months ago), I was curious to see how far breeding has come. I am curious no more.

The autos are epic. Hardy, color changing, and busting with resin. All of the three I have are going great guns. Two are in the forest, I kept the supermodel for the deck in a 5 gal. I wanted to tend closely. It's colors are crazy, it stinks like heaven, and it's putting out crystals like an overworked hobbit:
IMG_20160620_145346.jpg

closer.....

IMG_20160620_145356.jpg

holy shoot!!!!

IMG_20160620_145356_edit.jpg

I can't say enough good things about these. All that's left is a couple of weeks, and a curing. I hope the smoke is as good as the plants look.

The Blue Gods are going for the sky, and our immigrants (the three Afghanis from JOTI) are settling in well. Here's what 2 weeks of growth from the last pic look like. The Afghans are in the front, a Blue God is furthest away from the camera - it wasn't the best performing plant, but it's looking great now...

2 weeks ago:

IMG_20160605_174728.jpg

Now:

IMG_20160620_145259.jpg

I'll share some snaps of the other BG's and Jacks soon. The other Jacks are a few weeks behind the first, have a real racehorse in that supermodel :thumb:

For those who took place in the poll - that Jack pheno #1 is the fast finisher, and a dandy. The best Blue God is definitely Pheno #2. I'll have some pics soon. Well over 5' right now.......and fan leaves about 10"
:circle-of-love:

That auto is huge, it's loving that sunlight. Are the others just as big? That's going to be a hefty auto harvest.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

The three autos are all different. This one has the most color - indigo, purple, orange, almost black in parts. And, it's a racehorse compared to the other two. I think this one will be done in a couple of weeks. Straight water now, no nutes.

Another is showing a little purple, and is smaller. Stout as a fire hydrant. Tons of flowers tho, extremely dense :slide:

The third is the biggest, but all green. It's also the slowest going, likely due to less light. But, it's got tons of room for bud development. I hope it comes along and really fills out.

Back
Top Bottom