OregonGrown's First Attempt - Soil - Bag Seed - Mars2

OregonGrown79

Well, here goes nothing! This will be my first attempt at procuring some home grown meds for my girl. Dispensary prices are high and the hassle of stopping by once a week is a pain. So lets see how bad I can screw this up!

Strain: Sour D(that's what I was told)
Sativa
2'x2'x5' something Mars Hydro tent
400 watt Mars2
Temp/RH: About 80 with lights on with a 50-58% RH
Just a fan pulling outside air at this moment and blowing over a towel/wick to create RH

So, I dropped 2 beans in a shot glass. Both showed tap roots so they were placed in solo cups with generic potting soil. 1 of 2 has broken the surface on day 3. No sign from #2 and we are on day 7 since they went in soil. I am going to wait it out for #2 for 10 days, if it doesn't poke up I will pop my last bean and see what happens.

The plan is to grow these in solo cups till I get to the 4th node then replant in 1 gallon fabric pots. After I see good root growth to the bottom of the 1 gallons the flowing stage will take place in 7 gallon fabric pots. I will be transplanting them from solo cups to 1 gallons filled with Zen Blend. I have House-Garden Soil parts A&B for nutes when the time comes. Currently I am running my light 18/6 with just the veg switch on and it hanging about 36" above the baby. As it gets stronger and a little older I will start dropping the light and turn the bloom switch on. I am just a little hesitant to hit this baby with full power right off the bat!

So without further ado, here are a couple pics.
RH_2_.jpg

The little Girl(hopefully, if I can keep her alive long enough to show me!)
baby_D_2_.jpg

Hopefully I can get some of you Veteran Green Thumbs to follow along and help a Newb out with some helpful advice.

OG79

Im along for the ride, im sure youll have many visitors willing to help out with any problems.

Do put a link to your journal in your signature (in the user cp) and do take a look at other journals introduce yourself, ask questions etc

We are all always learning with this lovely plant :)

Nothing major to update tonight. RH and temp look good. Solo cup is getting a little lighter so maybe water tomorrow night or maybe not! She is getting a little bigger and has started her second set of leaves. When would you all suggest up potting her into 1 gallon containers? Also, when should I start thinking about feeding her? I really don't want to rush it but want to be ready for her when the time comes!

I go buy the rule if I can see roots coming out the bottom, I transplant to the next pot. I'd say wait a little bit more, its a delicate balance leave it to long in small pot and itll get root bound and have slow growth, transplant to early and shock can cause a bit of slow growth.

Id advise holding off on nutes for now wait until 3/4th sets of leaves and maybe after the transplant, and then start gradually increasing the dose. So start on 1/4 strength and slowly build up always watching the plant is it will tell you if it likes it or not

Well, I let this fall all the way to page 5. Sorry about that! Not much interesting is happening yet, I guess thats a good thing!? Couldn't get #2 to pop even though I gave her 10 days. I decided to try and pop another one, my last bean, and she is in between two saucers in damp paper towels. Lets hope she goes!!
I think we are at day 7 above ground, she has had 1 watering 3 days ago and I think I may wait another day. The solo cup is getting light but I think there still is a little too much moisture in there for another watering.
20160514_093040.jpg

Here is the current temp and RH of this morning. This is pretty much where is stays during lights on. It does drop to about 70 during lights off and the RH goes up to 60 ish.
20160514_093030.jpg

So here is an outside pic of the tent, as you can see I have a passive vent on the bottom open for pulling in fresh air. I realize this will have to be closed up when it comes to flowering. I will have a filter and fan set up by then so I will address this when the time comes.
20160514_093140.jpg

And lastly, the inside with the door open. I am still only running the Veg portion of the light and as you can see it is about 36" above the baby at this point. Also, you can see my homemade humidifier in the back ground on the floor!! Redneck ingenuity!!!
20160514_093054.jpg

So, it looks like everything is going ok so far. I think she looks pretty healthy and happy so far. Let me know if you see any problems or if there is something I need to address that I may have missed!
OG79

P.S. Sorry for the sideways photos, I will fix that next update!!!

Howdy fellow Oregonian,
One small note, nothing all that important but it is something you will want to change. Your sensor for your Temp/RH is sitting on top of your box or tote or what ever it is that your plant and gauge are sitting on. You will not get an accurate reading with the sensor there, it needs to be suspended at canopy level. The box/tote is dark in color and dark colors absorb light and heat up which will give you false reading. As the plant gets taller you will want to constantly raise the sensor to stay at the same level as the canopy. Other then that I would say your off to a great start, let the grow begin:thumb:

Also as suggested by Welshpony, put a link to your journal in your signature. Makes getting here easier for us old farts who are not computer savvy.

You had asked when you should up pot to a 1 gallon pot, there are several ways to figure it out, one way is what Welshpony suggested but if the holes in your solo cup are not very big it can be hard to tell sometimes. Normally what I do is when I am at 3 to 4 nodes when it is about time to water I will flip the cup upside down and gently let the plant slide out of the cup and look at the roots. You should see roots starting to wrap around the outer edge where the soil meets the cup. That way if it is time to up pot her, I can just water her after I move her into her new home.

Subbed in here! looking good! :thumb:
The seedling stage is always the most boring of the stages. But once you start feeding they will kick into high gear. White Widow is overall my favorite strain and was my first grow too. Very easy and came out with such tasty buds. Good luck!

Thanks for joining all!! The more the merrier! OlderGrower, the sensor you see is for temp, the RH is actually read by the meter body itself. I will still look at moving it to a more accurate spot. I just kinda threw this tent together. My last attempt was a total failure! I started 2 babies under cfl's and had no way to control the RH, temp or aything else! They got their first set of leaves and withered away to nothing! I am pretty sure I drowned them and put them in way to big of pots right off the bat. I will try to update this as things progress. I am looking to get some auto's going here in the next week or so. Figure if I get them started they should be done by the time this baby is ready for the switch to 12/12.
I did add a link at the bottom but maybe I didn't do it right!
OG79

Quick update, not much new has changed. She(hopefully) is chugging right along. Everything seems fine. Hit the baby with full power at 36" early this week. She loved it so I am slowly lowering the light down, right now its at about 30". She got watered on Monday and I am thinking it may be time for some more water tomorrow morning when the lights come on. I am thinking maybe making some nutes for her the next watering, after tomorrow. Just a real light dose to maybe spur her along a touch more. Still waiting for roots to pop out the bottom of the solo cup so I can up pot her into a 1 gallon fabric pot. Well, here is the picture!
5-19-16_update.jpg

You're not going to feed a plant in a solo cup. Let her get to 3 or 4 nodes and top her. Once she heals, transplant her to a 1G pot if you plan on growing her big or a 3 gallon pot if it's her final home. Let her heal, grow her for another week or two, then flip her!

Thanks Spitz for the knowledge! I probably would have tried to feed her in the cup!!! Damn Newbs!!! Plan is now to top her after she gets another pair of nodes. Let her heal. Transfer to 1 gallon fabric pots and begin some LST. Then after she fills out that pot move her to a 7 gallon fabric pot! Sound good? !?

May have encountered my first little problem. The baby was looking quite droopy this morning and her soil was dry. I gave her some water ph of 6.5ish and chlorine free. That was an hour ago and she still is looking kinda droopy. How long after water should she perk up?

Back
Top Bottom