Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LED

CMJJMC2000

Back for my second grow! All done with the move and just got my tent set up last night. I decided to go with a CBD strain for this grow. I'm hoping I can improve on the deficiences from my last grow - mainly harvesting too early and a PH issue in late veg. No need to rush things on this one, as I have one and a half more jars full of the Dwarf Low Flyer. I may also be adding in another Aerogarden Ultra (used via eBay) to do a Massive Midget by Heavyweight Seeds at the same time as the Med Gom 1.0. The plan is to only do 1 plant per unit. I will be adding a chiller to that unit, as well.

More details and pictures tonight!

re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LED

It's been about 6 weeks since I chopped the 2 dwarf low flyers. I yielded, dry, a little bit more than 2oz of bud and about 1oz of popcorns + sugar leaf. The popcorns and the sugarleaf got vacuum sealed before the move and placed into the freezer - I'll get around to making something out of thse later. I'm hoping to be more relaxed on this grow, as I don't have to worry about realtors coming into the house anymore.

We are now in a nice permanent location again. I'm back up and operating in a larger office now - I haven't bothered putting the tent into the closet either, I'll leave it in its area for now. I did, however, get all of the lights hung along with the fan and carbon filter. An improvement, from the get-go, on this grow vs. the last one is starting off with the 2 x Mars Hydro Reflector 48 series. Both are hung on opposite ends and the fan + carbon filter is in the middle with the intake side at the front of the tent and the exhaust side at the rear and then going out via the "chimney". Ergonomically, having the fan right in the center will save me a lot of hits to the skull. Last grow it was laid out left to right and placed right at the opening to the tent.

IMG_309411.JPG
IMG_310016.JPG
IMG_310314.JPG
IMG_31029.JPG

Nutrients now have their own pantry to go into. I just need to haul a few 5 gallon jugs of RO water up here and I'll be in good shape for the next couple of weeks.

I ordered a PH monitor that will be submerged into the reservoir permanently - just like the temp probe for my chiller controller. I'm sick of having to use a PH pen and check, calibrate, clean and store after every use. This 24/7 monitoring probe can get as crusty as it wants. The probes are replaceable, so no worries there. I'll place the receiver for this right next to my chiller controller.

Also ordered are more grow cups, growing sponges/medium, and some of the empty cups with the "blackout" seals on top to keep light from getting into the reservoir.

FINAL and MOST EXCITING ORDER - a used Aerogarden Ultra off of eBay. Cost roughly 1/3 of the price of a new unit, should be here later this week. I'll be retrofitting another ice-probe style chiller into this Aerogarden, as well. Money well spent, IMO. No sense in running the grow with only 1 plant.

So, this grow will containt 2 strains...
Massive Midget, auto, by Heavyweight Seeds

...and...

Med Gom 1.0, auto, by CBD Crew

Germinating will start tomorrow night.

re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LED

I almost went with Med Gom but decided to go with CBD Crew Therapy and Dinafem CBD Industrial Plant which seems very close to the Med Gom.

I wouldn't do both of those Strains in the same Aerogarden if they aren't both autos as your going to want the light on 20/4 or similar and switching to 12/12 for one plant with an auto in there is going to hurt yield on the auto.

Joe

Why not get two DWC bubble buckets , 2 1/2 gallons for each plant and place one under each Mars 48? That would give you much better results than using the small 1 gallon reservoir of the Aerogarden. I have an Aerogarden Bounty and switched to just the Mars 48 and a DWC bucket and the result it twice what I got with the Aerogarden reservoir as the plant stopped growing once the roots filled up the tank.

I like your set ups:thumb:you got everything for your plants.Can't wait to meet your babies:cheer:
It's been about 6 weeks since I chopped the 2 dwarf low flyers. I yielded, dry, a little bit more than 2oz of bud and about 1oz of popcorns + sugar leaf. The popcorns and the sugarleaf got vacuum sealed before the move and placed into the freezer - I'll get around to making something out of thse later. I'm hoping to be more relaxed on this grow, as I don't have to worry about realtors coming into the house anymore.

We are now in a nice permanent location again. I'm back up and operating in a larger office now - I haven't bothered putting the tent into the closet either, I'll leave it in its area for now. I did, however, get all of the lights hung along with the fan and carbon filter. An improvement, from the get-go, on this grow vs. the last one is starting off with the 2 x Mars Hydro Reflector 48 series. Both are hung on opposite ends and the fan + carbon filter is in the middle with the intake side at the front of the tent and the exhaust side at the rear and then going out via the "chimney". Ergonomically, having the fan right in the center will save me a lot of hits to the skull. Last grow it was laid out left to right and placed right at the opening to the tent.

IMG_309411.JPG
IMG_310016.JPG
IMG_310314.JPG
IMG_31029.JPG

Nutrients now have their own pantry to go into. I just need to haul a few 5 gallon jugs of RO water up here and I'll be in good shape for the next couple of weeks.

I ordered a PH monitor that will be submerged into the reservoir permanently - just like the temp probe for my chiller controller. I'm sick of having to use a PH pen and check, calibrate, clean and store after every use. This 24/7 monitoring probe can get as crusty as it wants. The probes are replaceable, so no worries there. I'll place the receiver for this right next to my chiller controller.

Also ordered are more grow cups, growing sponges/medium, and some of the empty cups with the "blackout" seals on top to keep light from getting into the reservoir.

FINAL and MOST EXCITING ORDER - a used Aerogarden Ultra off of eBay. Cost roughly 1/3 of the price of a new unit, should be here later this week. I'll be retrofitting another ice-probe style chiller into this Aerogarden, as well. Money well spent, IMO. No sense in running the grow with only 1 plant.

So, this grow will containt 2 strains...
Massive Midget, auto, by Heavyweight Seeds

...and...

Med Gom 1.0, auto, by CBD Crew

Germinating will start tomorrow night.

I almost went with Med Gom but decided to go with CBD Crew Therapy and Dinafem CBD Industrial Plant which seems very close to the Med Gom.

I wouldn't do both of those Strains in the same Aerogarden if they aren't both autos as your going to want the light on 20/4 or similar and switching to 12/12 for one plant with an auto in there is going to hurt yield on the auto.

Joe

Why not get two DWC bubble buckets , 2 1/2 gallons for each plant and place one under each Mars 48? That would give you much better results than using the small 1 gallon reservoir of the Aerogarden. I have an Aerogarden Bounty and switched to just the Mars 48 and a DWC bucket and the result it twice what I got with the Aerogarden reservoir as the plant stopped growing once the roots filled up the tank.

There will be 2 Aerogarden units in the tent, one under each light, one plant per Aerogarden. I've looked into DWC buckets and, at this point, I'm not interested in trying them out yet. Keep in mind, that I have an Aerovoir (1 gallon top off reservoir) that keeps my water level constant. If I decide to run a photo-period plant, I'd probably go with DWC. But, for most auto's, a 1 gallon reservoir should be ample.

There will be 2 Aerogarden units in the tent, one under each light, one plant per Aerogarden. I've looked into DWC buckets and, at this point, I'm not interested in trying them out yet. Keep in mind, that I have an Aerovoir (1 gallon top off reservoir) that keeps my water level constant. If I decide to run a photo-period plant, I'd probably go with DWC. But, for most auto's, a 1 gallon reservoir should be ample.

So I'm in to watch the drama unfold...LOL.

But seriously, I have to agree with CJ. Even with auto's i'd imagine that each plant would still need 2-3 gallons per plant.

Yes, you did an outstanding job proving that the AG works but consider what you would get out your gurls if they had a bigger res.

Food for thought and you did a great job on you last so no reason why this one doesn't yield some quality meds....meds....yea right....LOL.

Re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LE

Excited to see you getting ready for your second grow.

Me too! It's been a nutty month or so, happy to be able to reallocate some of my time to this hobby and hopefully produce a grow journal that provides some useful information to future hobbyists.

So I'm in to watch the drama unfold...LOL.

But seriously, I have to agree with CJ. Even with auto's i'd imagine that each plant would still need 2-3 gallons per plant.

Yes, you did an outstanding job proving that the AG works but consider what you would get out your gurls if they had a bigger res.

Food for thought and you did a great job on you last so no reason why this one doesn't yield some quality meds....meds....yea right....LOL.

Renegade, glad to see you back! Hope you've been well. I agree with you and Canadian Joe, for yield and best *bang for your buck* DWC buckets are the way to go. I really like the challenge that's presented with the Aerogarden, in terms of root zone space. I enjoyed my first grow with it and was amazed that 2 dwarf plants grown in such a tight space could produce over 1oz per plant, dried, not including the popcorn and sugar leaf from each plant. My consumption is so light, I'd rather push the aerogarden to the limit of what it can do. It really is a capable unit for those of us that are only producing meds for ourselves.

The second Aerogarden arrives later this week. Tomorrow, I'll start germinating the seeds.

IMG_311512.JPG
IMG_311414.JPG
IMG_311311.JPG
IMG_311214.JPG

Re: Med Gom 1.0 & Massive Midget In A Chilled Aerogarden With Mars Hydro Reflector LE

it's easier to ask then lookup in your other thread: what filter fan combo do you have? the power controller kinda looks like one of those iPower ones from scramazon? :passitleft: cheers!

Yes, it is the iPower 4" fan. The controller is from VenTech and works fine with this unit. The fan, itself, is excellent. It's powdercoated steel and I have no doubt that it will last a very long time. It runs very quietly.

The Aerogarden does present a bit more of a challenge then a larger res would for sure. Which makes it more fun? Or perhaps just a little more time consuming; but when it's an enjoyable hobby the extra time isn't really a bad thing. I like the fact that you'll be doing one plant per res; I think I will be doing the same in the future as even though 2 plants maybe the same strain they can be very different.

Tuned in and looking forward to the show!
:popcorn:

i feel excited that so many seeds will start their new life...:cheer:

Thanks, Sara! Big thumbs up on the Mars Hydro products. I've built my own LED arrays for a reef tank before and thought about going that route for this hobby, as well. But, I'm glad I chose Mars Hydro. Very impressed with the quality of the light and the quality of the plants it can produce.

The Aerogarden does present a bit more of a challenge then a larger res would for sure. Which makes it more fun? Or perhaps just a little more time consuming; but when it's an enjoyable hobby the extra time isn't really a bad thing. I like the fact that you'll be doing one plant per res; I think I will be doing the same in the future as even though 2 plants maybe the same strain they can be very different.

Tuned in and looking forward to the show!
:popcorn:

Thanks! It's almost chop time for you, your plants look great. I have a few more dwarf low flyer seeds and also a new dwarf strain to test out - Kera Dwarf Auto. Next time I do a dwarf grow, I will do 2 plants per unit again.

Renegade, glad to see you back! Hope you've been well. I agree with you and Canadian Joe, for yield and best *bang for your buck* DWC buckets are the way to go. I really like the challenge that's presented with the Aerogarden, in terms of root zone space. I enjoyed my first grow with it and was amazed that 2 dwarf plants grown in such a tight space could produce over 1oz per plant, dried, not including the popcorn and sugar leaf from each plant. My consumption is so light, I'd rather push the aerogarden to the limit of what it can do. It really is a capable unit for those of us that are only producing meds for ourselves.

Yep...

But lets face it, you did a stellar job on the mods. Produced some quality buds and like NoNameBrand said below...if your having fun doing it and it's not to make a living....then push, push. I would have thought you would get bored after the first go round and want to go bigger.....I did.....LMAO.

All is well on my end....my usual 9-5 with my water gardens in the evenings...

"Puff, Puff, Pass, Smokie"...LOL

I got the PH monitor installed and my empty pod covers showed up today. I got the reservoir PH'd to 5.9 (after calibrating monitor) and dropped in one seed of each strain to start germinating. I've got the grow cups and sponges covered in the clear plastic dome now with the lights off and temp around 75F with humidity at about 45%. I did add in some voodoo juice (1/2 dose) to the reservoir to get the bacteria party started.

As a backup - I've also got 1 seed of each strain germinating in a cup of water and will switch those over to paper towel/plate tomorrow morning. I've had success with both methods but want to get this grow moving forward, so if all seeds germinate, the best looking of each strain will move forward and the scraggler will take a toilet ride.

IMG_311810.JPG
IMG_311914.JPG
IMG_311714.JPG

The chiller is turned off, currently. I don't plan to turn it back on until I get 3 sets of leaves.

Back
Top Bottom