Greffon's - Crop King Seeds - Auto Northern Lights Journal - 600W LED

greffon

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking around here for a bit. With encouragement from the contests currently being run by Crop King Seeds I've decided to create a journal.

I have grown an autoflower strain before. I do not have any experience otherwise. My previous experience was a ghetto (for lack of better words) setup where I had mylar on some cardboard pieces surrounding the plant which was in an aerogarden setup surrounded by several CFLs. Girls were nuked, stunted, and we ended up enjoying only around a quarter of yield haha.

Since then, I have taken some time, years, and have gotten the urge again. This time around we got more serious.

We are working with:

3x2x5 grow tent - though not ideal, definitely better than the previous setup.
600w Full Spectrum LED
2x Automatic Northern Lights by Crop King Seeds
1x 5 Gallon smart pot
1x 5 Gallon root pouch
GH FloraSeries
GH CalMag
GH Liquid Koolbloom

Water and Nutes pH'd at 5.8

Growing in coco with 30% perlite.

I started the project from seed in soil on April 20th - obviously. 420 swag yolo hotstuff thatsme :cheer:

They have since started to flower. They will enter 2nd week of flowering tomorrow, the 8th of June.

I have been performing LST as I did not want to risk stunting the plant.

Estimated date of Harvest between July 20th and 27th. (tips on determining this date appreciated).

I am in the process of uploading photos that I have been taking along the way. Will post them in order that they were taken once I am able to do so!

Comments, questions, or any type of feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Re: greffon's - Crop King Seeds - Auto Northern Lights Journal - LED & Coco

Welcome to :420: greffon! This is a great place to pick up some tips and tricks and the wonderful people here lend a helping hand when needed. Just a word of advice, when and if you run into issues, the more information we have the better. Temps, RH, pH of water and soil if you can do that , and pictures. Boy do I love pictures.

But it sounds like you are doing quite well. For determining the harvest time is depending on the trichomes and what kinda of high you are looking for. But for the breeders suggested flowering time starts when there are buds starting to form to give you somewhat of a time frame. Most autos are 8 weeks if I am correct and your guess will be pretty close. I would recommened getting a 60x handheld microscope so you can take a peak at them when the time comes.

Best of luck to you for the rest of the grow and can't wait for some pictures. Also, what kind of training, if any, have you done?

thanks so much for the feedback already Canna Montana and nismo12.

Also, what kind of training, if any, have you done?

thanks so much for bringing that up!

I neglected to inform in my initial posting.

I am doing some LST.

From my research I have gathered that autos do not fare well otherwise. I understand there are circumstances where some plants can handle further stress while some can't handle any at all. For my first grow, I wanted to just get a solid grow without stunt so that I may produce more than 7 grams :p

Any information regarding other training methods that have been positive for auto northern lights would be greatly appreciated.

On that note as well, I did notice that my smart pot is doing an absolute fantastic job at air pruning my roots. I will try to get a picture of this in effect. The roots pouch I have not seen any roots make it out of the pouch yet.

I am using a pH meter for my water and feeds. Maintaining pH of 5.8. I have not been checking the RH as I do not have the means. Temps are being kept close eye on, however, I have not experienced extreme ranges and so I have not been so attentive in terms of maintaining the most appropriate environment in that regard.

These photos are from day 6 from seed. At this point the grow, the smart pot has broken ground for over 24 hours now and I as gently as possible, forced off the helmet from the root pouch seed.

I know it never says to do so, but I truly thought this seed was going to die in there.

smart pot seed
april_26.JPG

april_26-1.JPG

root pouch seed
april_26-3.JPG
april_26-2.JPG

SMART POT - day 39 from seed

I thought my plant was going to die within 24 hours once I saw the roots coming out. I knew light was not good for roots so I freaked.

Quickly googled some things and found out that I am actually working with a beast. I guess this is called air pruning and will force plants to reroot or rebranch out.

I was very excited to know I had something good happening.

may_29.JPG

Looks like you are off to a fantastic start! When I said earlier about RH I was talking about relative humidity. And looking at your monitor there your humidity is within range. 40-60% For veg and 30-50% For flower. Don't want to get mold on your soon to be buds. As for watering you are in range for a soil less mix. They seem to be very happy. :thumb:

Looks like you are off to a fantastic start! When I said earlier about RH I was talking about relative humidity. And looking at your monitor there your humidity is within range. 40-60% For veg and 30-50% For flower. Don't want to get mold on your soon to be buds. As for watering you are in range for a soil less mix. They seem to be very happy. :thumb:

There we are, day 1 active on forum and we learnt that we are able to measure RH afterall. Just never knew what it stood for :p

I have been keeping my eye on the humidity, will certainly keep a closer eye now that we are entering peak humid days around here and entering flower where we need lower RH. Thanks again nismo!

EDIT: I have gone ahead and added an extra fan. I got one blowing in from the bottom and another blowing out from the top. Will keep that extra eye on the humidity cause I will not be working with mold!

Currently 70% humidity, I am hoping to drop that down somehow.

ROOT POUCH - day 48 from seed.

this is the 2nd plant. I have been finding it droop more so than my other plant. I have been reducing the time my light has been on cause I have been noticing some bleached tips on some flowers. I am running 600W in a 2x3x5 space so I am pretty sure I am max on light. With that being said, although it is an autoflower, I am finding myself slowly reducing my cycle to maybe even 12/12 (currently 17/7ish) as worse case scenario to help prevent my plants from burning out. Any feedback on this theory is appreciated.

This picture was also taken after having been in dark for past 7 hours. Some droopiness was present before lights out. Scheduled to feed tomorrow week 3 flowering nutes. This might be premature for this plant but I have been just been feeding this one along with my main plant in the SMART POT.

2nd_plant_droop.jpg

UPDATE:

since setting up ventilation a bit better, we have had a drop in humidity from 75% to 65% and this was just in about an hour. appreciate the feedback that provoked my action.

the root pouch plant has also bounced back from the droopiness. I honestly find that it just gets tired from the 600W plant, always perks right back up after getting some light on it for a bit after sleeping.

Even though one is smaller, don't count her out. Maybe all she will need is a little extra veg time. It'll be nice to space them out 2 weeks or so, so you aren't harvesting two plants at once.

certainly not counting her out. have def. neglected to give her personalized treatment. since it was the runt unable to escape the shell, I kind of set it up as my lab rat. I have been a little more aggressive with training, doing some very minor pruning on it. It seems to sag at the end of a light cycle. Percs up after being lit back up. Is this normal?

I will go ahead and feed the ROUT POUCH the same nutrients as my SMART POT which is on flower week 2. A feeding schedule guide I am following for coco has the same nutes for week 1 and 2 of flowering, so we'll just pretend ROOT POUCH is week 1 while SMART POT is week 2.

certainly not counting her out. have def. neglected to give her personalized treatment. since it was the runt unable to escape the shell, I kind of set it up as my lab rat. I have been a little more aggressive with training, doing some very minor pruning on it. It seems to sag at the end of a light cycle. Percs up after being lit back up. Is this normal?

I will go ahead and feed the ROUT POUCH the same nutrients as my SMART POT which is on flower week 2. A feeding schedule guide I am following for coco has the same nutes for week 1 and 2 of flowering, so we'll just pretend ROOT POUCH is week 1 while SMART POT is week 2.
Just like you and I sleep, they do too. They rest when the lights are off. They are doing just what they are supposed to be doing. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom