Freidog's - Soil - Northern Lights Under 400W LED

freidog

Hi there everybody!

After "lurking" in the background for the past years and months, I've decided to come out and post the details to my third grow! It's been over a year since I finished my last one (in a home-made grow box) and I've moved since then. Finally got time to set up for the new grow in the past weeks!

Some details:
3x Northern Lights Feminized from Sensi Seeds in Amsterdam (Buy Northern Lights� Feminized seeds - Sensi Seeds)
Indoor grow in my new grow room (extra bathroom with shower - see pic below)
Growing in soil from Canna (Canna Terra Pro) initially in small pots and then 15 litre (about 4.5 gal)
Under a 405W LED
Planning on the Canna Terra nute regime

Here is my initial grow setup in the shower booth with the glass walls covered in Mylar:
DSC0019317.jpg

Germinated on May 28 and all three were ready for the soil on June 1.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pics during the first few days, but here are the girls at Day 9 (They all got names):

Medusa:
She's the strongest of the bunch, right from germination.
DSC0018720.jpg

Jane:
She came across as the relaxed type with curves but not in any rush.
DSC0018413.jpg

The Runt:
As the name already says, she was the runt of the litter...very small seed, small tap root after germination and a somewhat one-sided growth on the first two nodes!
DSC0018611.jpg

Here are all three:
DSC0018316.jpg

and under normal light:
DSC0018914.jpg

Obviously all three have come along a bit further than the pics show. I just need to catch up on the posts.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone and hearing what they think! As I said, this is only my third grow, so I'm still learning a great deal -- my first grow was more luck than skill and my second grow was pretty successful with some difficult seeds.

More updates coming soon!

Freidog's Soil Northern Lights under 400W LED - Day 12

As I mentioned in my first post, I have some catching up to do on posting to the group!

Here are the ladies on Day 12 the day before I replanted them into their permanent homes (3.5 gal or 15 l).

DSC0019715.jpg

Medusa:
DSC0020014.jpg

Jane:
DSC0019814.jpg

The Runt:
DSC0019916.jpg

All three have been getting the following water so far:
50% purified through osmosis and 50% tap water
Natural pH was at 7.1 when mixed, adjusted down to pH 6.0 with Advanced Hydroponics pH Down.
Been keeping them cosy wet but not too much water over the last two weeks.
The only thing I've added is Canna Rhino-Tonic at 25% of the advised dosage.
EC of feeding water as described above is at 450.

The girls are looking good!

Freidog's Soil Northern Lights under 400W LED - Day 13

Repotted on day 13 and set up the plants in their new "home". As you can see, I've converted the shower cabinet to the grow cabinet and have suspended the pots in the middle. This allows me to measure the run-off a bit easier.

DSC0020417.jpg

All three girls are looking good and have adjusted to their new pots quickly:

Medusa:
DSC0020817.jpg

Jane:
DSC0020514.jpg

The Runt:
DSC0020614.jpg

I was a bit concerned about the run-off today as it was measuring at an EC of 2700!!! Never had that before in my last grows, but them again I wasn't paying so much attention to EC at this stage in either of the previous grows. Can it be that the soil has this many nutes in it already and the measure is so high because of the fact that it's brand new soil?

Freidog's Soil Northern Lights under 400W LED - Day 15

The girls have been growing nicely, but I have had to order a new fan and filter for my new grow room. The inline fan I had pulling ar through the active charcoal filter (diameter 10cm pipes) was just too weak. The air (and with that the temperature and the humidity) in the room was getting bad and stale.

Here's what I ordered: AKF Grow Lüftungsset ideal für Growbox Belüftung

The girls on Day 15:

Medusa:
DSC0021512.jpg

Jane:
DSC0021314.jpg

The Runt:
DSC0021413.jpg

Freidog's Soil Northern Lights under 400W LED - Day 16

Set up the new ventilation system today! Awesome! Fresh air coming in again and lots of air circulation in the shower cabinet! Have the 125mm fan for extraction and then 100mm fan pumping fresh into the cabinet. Working really well!

DSC0022513.jpg

DSC0022710.jpg

The girls are coming along nicely!

Medusa:
DSC002309.jpg

Jane:
DSC002287.jpg

The Runt:
DSC0022911.jpg

Freidog's Soil Northern Lights under 400W LED - Day 19

OK, I'm caught up with my posts now! This is from today, Day 19.

Gave the girls water today after 6 days (repotted 6 days ago and they've gotten nothing since then). In the last two days I've also trimmed the lover two nodes of leaves so that they don't hang into the soil.

Watering with about a 10-20% run-off. EC 450 pH 6.0. Only nutrients are Canna Rhezotonic at 25% of recommended dosage. 50% water is tap 50% is osmosis.

Run-off measured between 2500 and 2700 EC!!! I don't understand where this is coming from! Can anyone give me some advice here? The only explanation I have is that it is from the Canna Terra Pro soil which I am using. Is it normal that the EC is so high in the first few waterings?

Here are some pics. As you can see, it looks to me like I'm getting some nutrient burns and some of the leaves on nodes 3 and 4 have curled up at the edges. Newer growth looks good and I'm seeing nodes 7 appear on day 19 (I think that's good?).

Any help, advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Medusa:
DSC0024512.jpg

Jane (with pic from side with leaf curls):
DSC0024312.jpg

DSC002469.jpg

The Runt (with closeup with what looks like nutrient burn):
DSC0024418.jpg

DSC0024814.jpg

Would love to hear what you guys think!

All in all, the girls seems to be growing well for Day 19, however.

OK a few quick questions. What have the temps been like? The curling on the bottom leaves look like either lights too intense(at 24 inches away this isn't the culprit) or some heat stress. You said it might be nute burn, are the tips of the leaves brown/burnt looking and moving up the leaf? How often are you watering? Is the pot drying out in between waterings?

Hey Dirt!

The temps were somewhat high until about 4 days ago. I moved into my new grow room and the ventilation was just not good enough. I had about 29-30C in the shower cabinet. Since then I've installed better ventilation and now I have about 25C which should be optimal.

Some of the tips have been turning brown, but only a very small piece of the tips. The reason I thought about a nute burn is because I was measuring the run-off through the new re-potted soil and it had an EC of 2600 (the water I was giving was at an EC of 450).

I watered once when I re-potted into the 15 liter pots I'm using now, then watered again 6 days later when the soil felt dry to at least 3 inches and the weight of the pot was significantly lighter as well. Each got 2.5 liters and the run-off was about 500 ml, so they kept about 2 liters a piece.

They are growing nicely, however. Just keeping an eye on the EC of the run-off.

I don't measure runoff. Never have. Your soil is probably hot. Every time you transplant, you add more hot soil. I would just water for a few times before adding nutes. It looks like you might have a high pH water. That would be my guess. The one thing I can tell you is these plants can take a beating. They will keep coming back. So don't worry too much unless the plant is telling you to fix her. I'm still a noob so take my advice however you want. You can ask some questions on others journals too if you don't get the answer you're looking for here. Good luck and welcome to the community.

Cheers

:roorrip:

Welcome Freidog's. Gave ya a +rep slap for what you've got going here already. Great job correcting the heat/exhaust issue.

I'm partial to the Runt, it's just my nature, but all three are looking fine. Planning any training?

I don't measure runoff. Never have. Your soil is probably hot. Every time you transplant, you add more hot soil. I would just water for a few times before adding nutes. It looks like you might have a high pH water. That would be my guess. The one thing I can tell you is these plants can take a beating. They will keep coming back. So don't worry too much unless the plant is telling you to fix her. I'm still a noob so take my advice however you want. You can ask some questions on others journals too if you don't get the answer you're looking for here. Good luck and welcome to the community.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas! I'm trying not to be panicked, as a noob might be, since I know that the plants are very resilient. And yes, I'm happy to consider advice from anyone, whether another noob or an experienced grower.

To answer your question: the water is being pHed at 6.0. I'm using Advanced Hydroponics pH Down (Grow) to bring a 50/50 mixture of tap water and osmosis water from a measured pH of 7.1 to 6.0. From what I've read so far, 6.0 seems to be a good target pH for soil. Any other thoughts on that?

I'm away for the week, but my wife told me the girls are doing fine...I guess I'll see in the next days if it's just the hot soil.

Thanks again, and always glad to take your advice!

Welcome Freidog's. Gave ya a +rep slap for what you've got going here already. Great job correcting the heat/exhaust issue.

I'm partial to the Runt, it's just my nature, but all three are looking fine. Planning any training?

Thanks for the slap!!! Still trying to figure out how that actually works :)

I#m also rooting for the Runt...I think she's going to catch up and be better than all the rest. In fact, it seems like the growth of hers has been much bushier in the past days.

On my second grow I did a SCROG with two plants and got an OK yield of about 120g. This time I'm going to try more simple LST by tying them down flat and optimize the LED light spread. At the end of this week I also want to top them and then let them grow for about another 2-3 weeks before sending them into flower. What do you think of that plan?

Thanks everyone!

6.0 will be just fine for your pH range. I try to get it between 6.0 and 6.4 anywhere in there and you're good. You really shouldn't have to adjust your pH due to the buffers in most soils but I don't trust the buffers. Your nutrient should balance out your pH once you start using it. What are you using for nutrients again??

Cheers Frei

Hey noob, I'm planning on using the Canna Terra line of nutes. These are the ones I've used in the last grow and I was happy with the results.

I'm away this week, but my wife said the girls look great. Can't wait to see them again on Friday -- they change and grow so quick at this stage!

Thanks again for your advice and help! Really glad I got involved in the mag!

If you want to give someone reps for a post, you just click the star next to the blog this post button. It's like telling them thanks and they are awesome, basically. When people give it to you, it means the same thing. I have a bunch of reps points and I have no idea what they are for except people liking what I'm saying or for helping our others. It's all for good brotha.

Wow! Great journal, learned few things from here, very helpful.

I will subscribe and watch ur progress.

Good luck mate!

Back
Top Bottom