My First Grow & Journal

Seaweed Farms

Hello 420,

I have started my first grow, yay! I started this grow back in March or so. I first ordered seeds.
Strains: Green Crack, Amherst Sour Diesel, and Blueberry.

All but the ASD died shortly after germ or didn't germ at all. I found out later this was due to me drowning them.

So starting in April I had 1 Amherst Sour Diesel. I vegged this poor girl under a 25 w LED. Its safe to say I was poor and as inexperienced in this as it gets.

In June I'm still vegging this one ASD plant that won't give up, bless her leaves she's looking good too. I received 2 Gorrila Glue and 2 Bruce banner clones from a friend as well as a seed that I believe to be Capers. I bought a "1000 watt LED"(actual draw is something like 137w but it was very very cheap so I'm not mad.) I bought a 4x4x7 grow tent, some smart pots and all the other essentials.

Mid July comes and the Gorrila Glue and the ASD are finished vegging. Due to finacial restraints I couldn't start flower until almost August when I bought a 1000 watt ballast, 1000 w hortilux super lumen, and a cool tube reflector.

After I had everything set up I put the Gorrila Glue and the ASD into the tent to flower and I put the Bruce Banner and Capers into my closet with the LED to veG.

August 18th 2016- I am on day 20. The Gorrila Glue has stretched magnificently. The ASD is actually quite short and squat but I'm not concerned, just showing some of her indica genes I suppose.

I should take this time to say, that the ASD is actually not like the classic Sour D that we all know and love. While Sour D has some amazing sativa affects the Amherst Sour Diesel actually leans indica. About 60/40 according to HSO's website. Its a cross of pre-90's chemdawg and Amherst Super Skunk
2 main phenos seem to come from this strain, one heavy producer with decent resin production and an amazing smell. The second is a less productive, more resinous pheno used in breeding.

Since the beginning, I've been using Michigan Made Mix M3 super soil. As a beginner I put all my faith into this company and their product and so far, I have zero complaints. Aside from the obvious lack in control you have over what you feed your plant, things have been rolling really smoothly. Every deficiency I've seen has been due to lack of soil or messed up pH. I've read a few posts about people using this soil and needing amendments towards the end. I'm starting to see some evidence of this, but I'm not convinced it isn't caused by an ongoing problem I'm working on with my ph.

The 2 Bruce Banners and the Capers are doing really really well. All three are growing Too fast for my schedule, I'll have to find a way to flower all 6 at once or veg the 3 in a bigger area. The Bruce Banners sit at about 16" with LST. The capers are maybe 6"-10" tall, however I did some massive LST a few weeks ago. She's loving it though, in the last 2 weeks all of her leaves have quadrupled in size and her branches have doubled their length.

I've done a mixture of topping and LST to all my plants to try and increase my yield. I however, have not done much defoliation. Too many times I've seen posts about extreme defoliation really kicking you in the teeth at harvest. In almost all really successful harvests I've seen, there is not an extreme amount of defoliation.

Not much else I can think of. I'm on day 20 of flower. They're starting to get frosty, and everyone is looking pretty healthy.

420-magazine-mobile206356898.jpg

Here is the most recent pic of my flower tent, I believe this was something like day 15.
I will post pics of each plant and veg/flower area later.

Advice, questions and general discussion are all very much welcomed and enjoyed.

I'm terrible at documenting things but this is something I care about and want to improve constantly so I will be doing my best to add to this journal daily, if nothing else but with some bud pics and replies.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

re: My First Grow & Journal

One other major problem that I've been trying to deal with, is the fact that they're stretching too fast. I have a 7.5 ft ceiling and they're about 1.5-2 feet away from the light. I've been super cropping every other day it seems to try and keep these monsters under control, but this is proving to be a bit futile. I just hope that she stops stretching soon. Or we will be seeing some bleached buds.

One other major problem that I've been trying to deal with, is the fact that they're stretching too fast. I have a 7.5 ft ceiling and they're about 1.5-2 feet away from the light. I've been super cropping every other day it seems to try and keep these monsters under control, but this is proving to be a bit futile. I just hope that she stops stretching soon. Or we will be seeing some bleached buds.

Keep in mind the light source is located about 8in-1ft below the max ceiling height. If there are any inexpensive/free ways to get around this, I'm all ears..err eyes...I guess. .

Here are some pictures I took tonight (day 20), my Gorrila Glue is looking a little pale but I think it's due to my ph problem that I recently fixed. The new leaves on the one in question look great

420-magazine-mobile967347587.jpg

First Gorrila Glue. This one didn't look too bad, but there still seems to be some paleness.
420-magazine-mobile1776994065.jpg

420-magazine-mobile914654286.jpg

420-magazine-mobile455555630.jpg

Good example of the paleness.
420-magazine-mobile1667920072.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1413960584.jpg

This is the ASD she is looking fine in my opinion, but speak up if anyone sees anything wrong
420-magazine-mobile1413704015.jpg

The ASD on the left GG on the right.
420-magazine-mobile1461953427.jpg

ASD
420-magazine-mobile1508754311.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1414070514.jpg

Here's a newish leaf from the one I'm concerned about
420-magazine-mobile608994471.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1242600984.jpg

420-magazine-mobile602370365.jpg

420-magazine-mobile709618281.jpg

Bud from the concerning one
420-magazine-mobile531779114.jpg

Re: My First Grow & Journal

High there! Nice pics for a first grow. Good job. I think I can help with the stretching dilemma. Get some supplemental cfl's closer to the tops of the plants. They can be all but touching the plant, and not cause bleaching or burn. Nis knows what light specs to use for flower and veg. Since he knows it, I don't keep that info stored away. Feel free to stop by our perpetual grow and ask questions. I'll go grab the link for you. I think I messed the one in my signature up. Lol!

Re: My First Grow & Journal

High there! Nice pics for a first grow. Good job. I think I can help with the stretching dilemma. Get some supplemental cfl's closer to the tops of the plants. They can be all but touching the plant, and not cause bleaching or burn. Nis knows what light specs to use for flower and veg. Since he knows it, I don't keep that info stored away. Feel free to stop by our perpetual grow and ask questions. I'll go grab the link for you. I think I messed the one in my signature up. Lol!

So you're suggesting I turn down my HPS to like what, 75% power then throw in 250 watt worth of CFLs?

Update on the plants in the veg closet. Nothing much to report except that they are growing far too fast for the space I have.

420-magazine-mobile986454276.jpg

Bruce banner
420-magazine-mobile1441885078.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2022779802.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1027247268.jpg

Capers
420-magazine-mobile505029430.jpg

Another update, the yellowing of the flowering Gorilla glue is getting worse, I'm now to the point of wanting to add supplemental nutrients.
I have corrected the ph issue beyond a reasonable doubt of it being the issue.

My options as I see them are to

A. Purchase more M3 super soil and hope that will replenish the missing nutrients.

B. Purchase dry soil amendments and make a tea or apply to the soil

My first option I'm going to try is A. Because I have used this soil throughout their entire life and it has never failed me.

If it proves to be fruitless, I will move to option B. My main problem with that option is I don't know exactly what nutrients I'm missing. If I had to guess I would say that yellowing leaves = nitrogen deficiency. However, I've read that nitrogen becomes less important in flower so that fact lead me to believe it was a ph problem maybe caused some nutrient lockout.
I've corrected the ph and watered twice since I've noticed the problem and things have gotten worse.
So that leaves true nutrient deficiency.
Pics to come later. Thanks for reading.

Here is some pics of some of what I believe is either N or Mn deficiency
420-magazine-mobile559247295.jpg

This is just a cool pic
420-magazine-mobile328365459.jpg

Here is the tent without the hps on. You can see the differences much clearer
420-magazine-mobile689246444.jpg

Gorrila Glue on the left and front, ASD on the right. The ASD has not yet shown great signs of deficiency but I am noticing it starting to yellow just barely
420-magazine-mobile1491922625.jpg

The top leaves on the ASD are starting to point up, but they are becoming heat stressed because of this. Why would a plants reaction be to move towards a heat source if it's too hot?

Update: We're approaching day 30 pretty quick.

Yesterday I worked out a new veg area because my vegging BB and Capers were not happy in my closet. So now they have a big spacious area under the stairs. Pics to come.

The yellowing seems to be getting a little better, but they still have a little ways to go, I will do a better analysis later tonight.

I'm pretty sure my ph problem is completely gone. I haven't seen many twisted leaves or any other deficiencies.

Once I get paid again I'll be getting some supplement m3 soil and try to replenish their nutes with that, if not a grower buddy suggested cal mag.

So I have a question about temp swings. Is it bad to go from 80-84 during the day to 64-67 at night?

Small update with some pics.
I think they're recovering, they seem pretty happy despite the lime leaves. Check it out :

420-magazine-mobile411457750.jpg

420-magazine-mobile892419515.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2026211471.jpg

Hey guys, just wanted to give a small update. We are now passed day 30 and the color is slowly starting to come back.

I made the decision to build a scrog net and apply it to my flower tent. Now I know that you're supposed to use it in veg so they are shaped to create a beautiful field of bud, however with this net I am still able to get light to my lower buds (there are a ton) and to keep my top buds from growing too quickly into the light. I don't know how well this will work but I don't have much to lose by adding it.

My plants vegging right now will go under the net in October and I'll continue to veg them until they are spread out throughout the net. Pictures to come when I stop being lazy.

420-magazine-mobile450863688.jpg

Forgot to take more last night but here is a tasty pic of the ASD starting to show some purple or maybe it's deficient/toxic or something but they're looking good to me.

Update:

Day 36 since 12/12 switch- the buds are starting to thicken up. The ASD especially seems like it's going to yield a good amount. The GG4 I believe is still suffering a bit and may not yield as much as I was hoping for but you live and learn.

Everything smells amazing, and everything is sticky. I'm especially impressed with the resin production of the GG4. Even though it's kinda scrawny right now, it truely lives up to its namesake.

The BB3 and the Capers are doing well in the veg area. I wish I was better prepared, I see a lot of mistakes I could have avoided with a little forsight. The only thing I can do is learn and move on.

After I start the BB3 and Capers in the flower tent, I will be switching to coco and synthetic nutes. If I switch back to organic I will have to go with DBHB.

Here's some bud pics.

420-magazine-mobile702697575.jpg

GG4_1

420-magazine-mobile1879474902.jpg

ASD

420-magazine-mobile1467436613.jpg

GG4_2

Back
Top Bottom