How Mary's Garden Grew

Shavosgrrl

Well, now is the time...
In the haste of having too much time before my hydro system is set up, I have started a small soil garden. Its not much, but its something. Lousy bag seeds and moderate soil with moderate lighting.

I germinated the seeds with the papertowel method- which always seems to work for me. After they started showing sprouts I put the seeds, taproot down, into the soil and just barely covering the seeds, maybe a few mm of soil above the top shell of the seeds. Mind you, I just put a bunch of germinated seeds in one 6" pot---(not recommended, and not what I am going to do with my serious grow with real seeds, but like I said, they are silly bag seeds, Im not going to waste all of my effort on them, just seeing if my black thumb is still prevailing before I spend $80 on nice seeds and kill them all.)
I then placed the pot into a plastic ziplock bag and put that into my turtle aquarium (ghetto rigged between a large rock and the corner to make it stay put---again, not recommended...) since I had a heat lamp on the aquarium making the water very warm and in turn, making it act as an incubation chamber for the seedlings. They popped up quite quickly.
[I have all of the measurement stats that I will add later when I get home, along with pictures]
Then, one day... one of my turtles got the gonads to climb the rock and found the sprouts. He ate one and half of another (which is still alive and kicking) Thankfully it was just the baby leaves that had popped up at that time, so not much was lost. I found it quite funny actually. A few days later, he tried to do the same thing but climbed completely out of the aquarium falling several feet to the floor. (again, super funny...poor turtle though, but he is fine):laughtwo:
Okay, enough of the turtle ancidotes...
About a week later I transplanted the small plants to individual styrofoam cups and into a small area I covered with aluminum foil and had lit with a cheap grow light. I placed a small bowl of water in the middle of the room to try and bring humidity up, but since it wasnt that great of a set up-eh.
I got my mylar in last week and covered the walls of the large space I set up. It looks great and the plants are all doing well. I took a picture yesterday.

Keep it real!

grdn21.jpg
showimage.php

Goodnight everybody!:allgood:

Re: HoW MaRY's gARdEn GrEW... my silly soil grow

Good night, I'm glad to see you finally got your stuff around to join in on the fun of cultivation. GRATS!!

your plants are pretty stretched out and a bit sickly looking. What kind of light are you using? I know you said a cheap grow light but does that mean that it is a regular incandescent or a fluorescent? If it is incandescent replace it with a fluoro as soon as possible, if it's fluorescent then your light is too far away. Either way your plants are stretching out to get closer to the light and, if not remedied soon, they won't have the strength to support buds. I know that this is bagseed, but that doesn't have anything to do with the reason they look the way they do. Hope I'm not being too blatant, but I don't want you to have gone through all the time and effort of growing for nothing.

Thanks.
Im using fluoros and I just got more yesterday. They are full spectrum 4' and I am hoping to get two 2' sunlight fluoros next. I was also using a grow light too. I thought I had the lights pretty darn close to them, but I suppose they shouldve been closer. I also gave them a fert that they didnt like. So right now they arent happy. I just flushed the soil. I want to replant them in more airraited pots too.. The sytrofoam cups were all I had and they dont drain well, even with all of the holes I put in them.
The edges of the leaves are yellowing and the ones closest to the soil are dead. The leaves at the top are quite happy looking with new growth though. [even though I had a disaster with falling equipment and one of my pretty leaves fell off... :( oops!! They are okay though]
Like I said first off, this is just something to use as an experiment to test my growing area. Once I get it fairly perfect, I will plant the good seeds. Just fishing out all of the bugs and hoping for some advice along the way.
Cheap mylar sucks, by the way. I need to get something else. This stuff tears like the dickens. You touch the crap and it rips.

PEACE:allgood:

Sounds great. Looks like you are already on top of the problems. And no worries you'll get all the advice you can handle and then some. lol Some of us taking growing pretty seriously so if we are asses about something, sorry in advance. lol Just trust we are just trying to help you get the best grow possible. :peace:

Probably a bit of Nitrogen burn. You did the right thing flushing. Question, how often are you watering, with and without ferts?

I try to wait until its begins to dry on the top of the soil. They are sitting in a tray now so they have runoff as extra water supply. I also mist the room in the afternoon to attempt to boost humidity since the room is so hot in the afternoon.
I have a habit of overwatering- hence me wanting to go hydro. Me + Soil = bad results... usually.
What is suggestion for how often to water?

Well, I did some serious transplanting yesterday. I had to take the plants out of that awful undraining soil they were in and into better pots instead of those dumb cups. I removed all of the dirt (even washing the roots off) and put them in better draining soil, better, larger pots and gave them a bit of rooting hormone (dip n' grow) to help with the shock of it all.
They were a bit shocked at first; a bit droopy... but they looked better today.
And yes, I put the lights as close as I could to them. I am starting to wish I had more space (...and of course, HPS and MH lights- but they are such a task with their fans and ballasts and all..and then the electric bill thing...)

We will see how the plants fare over this next week....

AUGH! There are little leaves forming at the nodes!! I have no idea when THAT happened!
Does this mean its beginning to flower? [I know, dumb question and I should know--especially since I am taking Botany...]

Just freaked me out... but then again I was a bit high...and tired...
Its bad when you have too much time to think.

Im just happy that my plants are looking happier. Completely changing the soil and cleansing the roots seems to have done the trick. I ghetto rigged my area so that my plants could be directly under the fluoros.

My question:
What times should I have it on right now? 24/0 or 18/6? They have been on 24/0 for a month now.... but then again, the plants and myself have had a bad few weeks. So I have to make up for that time.

Times like this I wish I lived in Cali so I could go to a club and get me some 'medicine'. I hate this town...

They are starting to get more full at the tops but there are spots forming on some of the leaves in the middle. It may be the left over from the nute burn and its just working its way out. Ive got fluoros on it and have the plants only a few inches away--- could they be too close, or could it just be from the leftover burn?

Let me know what you guys think, suggestions are always helpful.

Back
Top Bottom