RageMonkey's Phototron & homeade bubbler experiment Northern Lights

RageMonkey

Ok after my experience with the first grow I did a year ago using miracle gro potting soil (bad idea form the start) - i decided to get the phototron out of storage and try my luck at building a self-built bubbler aka Deep Water Culture.

I had a few problems starting out due to a faulty pH meterwhich was reporting 3.5 for an actual pH of 6.5 - thus causing my little seedling to have an imediate zinc deficiency. However, i corrected that by switching to a real ph/tds meter from Hanna and now the plant bounced back in under a week.

So here's the setup:

Anyway, here is what I started with:

- Phototron 8 (51" tall) with AVP module
- 1 sunleave hygrometer/thermometer with remote sensor
- 1 Hanna GroChek combo pH/TDS 24/7 meter - Absolutely awsome!
- 1 x 90 LED blue grow lamp 6.4 watt
- 1 x 90 LED red grow lamp 6.4 watt
- 1 x 3.5 ml BD syringe
- 1 double air pump
- 2 x 8' silicone air tubes
- 2 x 24" air wands
- 1 black 2.5 gallon bucket
- 1 black bucket lid with integrated 6" net pot
- 1 x 2 liter bag of hydroton
- humidity dome with grodan cubes
- 1 minifluorescent grow light - low heat
- plain old tap water - TDS ~400 ppm
- 1 digital timer to manage the bloom cycle
- Sensi grow and bloom 2 part hydro nutrients
- advanced nutrition pH up/down solutions

Seeds:
- 10 x Nirvana Northern Lights

Lights (plan of action):

- veg: 24/0
- bloom: 12/12

Ok so when I started this my intention was to grow a plant obviously, but I thought that it would die for sure. My green thumb is generally more of a black thumb of death and horrible slow plant disease.

Anyway, I popped a single seed into a grodan cube, placed it in the center of my humidity dome tray, poured a single cup of water over the cube. Next i put the CFL grow lamp over the tray. After 7 days, i had a healthy 4" sprout with sunleave and a first set.

At that point I prepared the bubbler bucket by cutting off the top 2" of the bucket so it would fit through the large opening in the phototron sideways. I also put a notch in the top for cables/air hoses etc.

Next i placed bucket in the phototron, put the airwands in the bottom and added 2.5 gallons of water. This would put 3/4 of the net in the nutrient solution. I then added 17 ml of sensi grow part A and 17 ml of sensi grow part B to the 2.5 gallons of water.

The grodon cube was then placed in the net pot on top of 1.5" of hydroton and more hydroton was filled in to the top of the net pot.

That's pretty much it. Pretty easy setup. After tossing my hand pH meter I also added a Hannae GroChek pH/TDS combo meter which has 2 probes and a groudning electrode submerged in solution at all times. Here's a tip: If you are concerned that your pH meter is giving you bad readings, you can test it quickly in a glass of milk. Milk has a pH of 6.5 and since marijuana needs a pH of 5.5 - 6.5, you can tell if your pH meter is giving you bad readings without waiting for a shipment of $30 worth of calibration solution. My first pH meter was off by 3 points which caused me to adjust the solution to 9.5. This was killing the plant deader than a doornail in less than 4 days. Get a decent meter like a hanner grochek and avoid the crappy digital dip meters. Mine cost me $125 and it's worth every damn penny.

Initially I am runnign the lights at 24/0 and I plan to use a standard 12/12 during bloom.

Ok so right now I am 3 weeks into this. 1 week for seedlign and 2 weeks for veg. Next post will have the current pictures. As of right now I must say this setup is pretty maintenance free. All I am required to do is adjust pH once a week, check the water level daily, and change the nutrient solution out completely every 2 weeks. When the plant gets bigger I may add a 20 gallon tote to hold nutrients and two small pumps to recirculate nutrient solution since larger plants consume more water, but for now I am quite surprised at how easily and well this is growing.

DSC015153.JPG

Phototron 8 in my bathtub

DSC015162.JPG

Airpump (left) Hanna Grocheck (center Temp probe (right)

DSC01517.JPG

Hanna GroCheck pH TDS meter

DSC015182.JPG

LED lighting

DSC01520.JPG

Nirvana Northern Lights - Nice green with very little purpling. First layer of leaves died from initial pH problem but all the new growth is top solid.

DSC01521.JPG

DSC01522.JPG

DSC01523.JPG

Inside bubbler - white roots and you can see the hanna pH and TDS probes. I wrapped the probe wires and the air hoses with a plastic bag to keep light from coming in through the notch i cut in the bucket. That's the grey thing you can see poking out by my hand. If you don't do that you get alage growth in your nutes.

DSC01524.JPG

Sensi grow A & B and my advanced nutrition pH up/down

New growth looks great. I'm a big fan of people who use the phototron successfully. I like the set up, too. Minus has a phototron on here, too. His is set up differently, but still is having great results. Lookin good. I'll be watching! ;-)

This bubbler setup is way easier than when i was growing in dirt. It was too easy to overwater them when they were in dirt and fert burn was a real bitch. This setup basiclaly eliminates that.

Here's a tip for anybody wanting to do a DWC, before you add your nutes check the tds of the water you are using. some bottled waters are as low at 40 and some tap waters as high as 500.

Mine happens to be 400. So even though my tds meter may say it's running at 1400, I know that the tds contributed by my nutes is actually 1000. 600 is considered bare minimum and 1800 is supper aggressive feeding. Generally 1000 should be pretty middle of the road.

Tap water generally should be avoided because the water company typically adds sodium hydroxide to tap water to help prevent corrosion in pipes. The amount is minimal, but sodium is the last thing you want in your plant's water because it will make it harder for the plant to absorb potassium.

Here's today's photos. 2 days since last photos. Just changed the nutrient solution out 10 min ago. ppm is a bit high from the pH adjustment to 6.2. That will stabilize in a little while. Anyway, new growth looks awsome. Stem has thickened slightly. no purpling. leaves are crisp, medium green. This bubbler setup is really low maintenance. When this plant gets bigger I will add an overflow tube to the bucket by drilling a 1/2 hole with gromet, connector, and tube to maintain solution height. I'll have that flow into a tote on the side with 10 to 20 gallons of nutrient solution. I have 2 pumps to pump fuid from a tote into the buubler in the phototron. This should help maintain pH and TDS while maintaining nutrient solution levels once the plant really starts getting bigger and hungrier.

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01526.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

Nice rage.I saw a video on how to do this with the tron and am thinking about trying this method in the future.:peace:

Nice rage.I saw a video on how to do this with the tron and am thinking about trying this method in the future.:peace:

It's pretty easy. All I do is swap the nute fluid out every 2 weeks. When I was growing in dirt i had so many problems. the dirt wasn't sterile, i got fert burned, I over watered a few times, etc etc etc. this bubbler I made seems to be idiot proof. hehe - provided you don't get off ont he wrong foot with a broken pH meter

The leaf mass has basically doubled in size in the last 2 days. I took 4 small cuttings for clones. All 4 are in grodan cubes soaked in olivia's cloning solution in a humidity dome with seedling heat mat and a low temp grow cfl light. If 1 of them takes root this week i will flower it in a second bubbler to determine sex.

I'll hunt around for my other digital camera since a friend of mine just swiped my good digital camera for the next week.

I'll get some pictures of the clones and a new picture of the plant. It's the healthiest looking plant I've ever grown. hehe

I cna't find my other camera to save my life. I'll need to wait until tues when I get my camera back to get you guys a photo. I will tell you that since the last photo, I've gotten 5 days growth and it's a real beast. The leaf mass is probably 4 - 5 times what it was in the last photo.

It's also worth mentioning that the plant is very compact. It is not stringy at all, very little stretch.

Nice looking plant indeed!Got mine crossed for ya too man!:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom