Harry's Quest For Indica Dominance

Greetings friends and growers!!

The first two journals were so much fun, I thought I'd start up yet another. :smokin:

Lighting
Phototron with 150watts of fluorescent lighting for seedings & clones.
400w MH lamp for vegging.
600w HPS for flowering.

Grow Medium
45% Canadian Sphagnum Moss
30% Worm Castings
25% perlite
Powdered Dolomite Lime (2tbls per gallon of medium)

Nutrients
Fox Farm's Grow Big for Soil
Fox Farm's Big Bloom for Soil
Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom for Soil

My goal with this grow is to add new genetics into my growing cycle. Specifically, I would like to add an Indica dominant variety and another Sativa/Hybrid to the mix.

A friend from another state gave me six seeds, which she said was saved from some high quality indoor strains. She said she never finds any seeds but she did find a few on occasion that she had saved.

Anyway, here's what I got..

qfi15-0.jpg

I could tell right away that 5 of the seeds were from the same bag (lighter ones) and there was one darker seed. They looked pretty good so I thought there might be something there.

As it tunes out, the 5 lighter seeds were not viable. They wouldn't even crack. Not in soil, a paper towel or floating in water would crack those beans.

The lone black one cracked and sprouted in just a couple of days.

Can you spot an Indica variety?

qfi15-1.jpg

I was disappointed the other seeds were not viable but at least I got this one...

qfi15-2.jpg

So, I went ahead and sprouted 4 more good beans of my own Sativa/Hybrid stock. These came from some really good weed..

qfi15-3.jpg

qfi15-4.jpg

Here's a flowering clone that I took from a friend of yet another Sativa strain. She had some great genetics in terms of height and bulk but don't know the quality just yet. I may take a couple of clones from this one, depending on how many males show up. If I get enough females, I'll save her for the next grow..

qfi15-6.jpg

The only thing else of interest in the tron is a flowering clone that's just started to reveg. It's like hitting the reset. It's starting to grow the smooth leaves now. It was just a little bud at the bottom of the plant and I was curious on how hard to root & reveg it would be. Turned out to be a piece of cake. ;)

qfi15-5.jpg

If you're wondering what's in my flower room, I've got a couple of mothers that I vegged slowly in the tron, cloned, then moved to the veg room for awhile. I decided to go ahead and flower them while the new grow's babies are vegging. I'll update with their progress from time to time in here.

Fast Betty mother (left) - Miss Burley mother (right).

qfi15-7.jpg

They look kinda cool due to how they were vegged. It will be interesting to see how a Miss Burley clone does when she's been scaled down. ;)

I'm really excited to get an Indica dominant plant going. Best case scenario, she's an awesome female. If not, I'll take a male and use the pollen to add Indica dominance to a couple of my best females. I'm really hoping it's not a hermie. That would suck!! I"m thinking that since she found only the one seed, it might just be feminized. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for that!!

:peace:

Harry

Good Job Mr. Harry, glad to see you get this going...Now if I see an 8 foot indy I will really be impressed... :rollit: Now don't be letting those sativas hog all the light either.. :ganjamon::peace:

I think those light colored seeds looked slightly immature; not quite ripe.

Is this the same soil mix you've used on your previously journaled grows? Have you tested the pH of the runoff w/o adding nutrients?

I'll be watching this one for sure Harry!

Thanks Be Irie, FreakNature and Minus!!

Yeah BE, I've got the Indica directly under the hanging CFL and it looks to be doing well. I'm planning on transplanting the Sativa seedlings to larger cups today and I'll be moving all 5 plants to the veg room and under the MH early next week.

Eight foot? I don't think so... ;)

I think you might be right about that FreakNature. Those seeds were either immature or they were too old to germinate. I'm just happy that I got one to pop!!

And yes, that is the same grow medium I used throughout my LST grow and it's very stable. I had zero deficiencies or PH problems with that mix. I'd probably use FF Ocean Forest if it were cheap and easily accessible but it's not, on either count. I couldn't be happier with the mix RooRman suggested as an alternative to FF OF.

Harry

Holly Shit Harry! I think I know what that striped seed is! My Red Diesel, which is already awesome by the way, has those stripes and looks exactly like it. Also, the crosses I did with the diesel also have those stripes on the seeds. So, my friend, I believe that you have either a red diesel or a cross of red diesel, which is totally awesome! I'll take a pic of my red diesel seeds from barneys farm and post a pic here for ya to check out. Anyway.... Count me in for this grow for damn sure! I wouldn't miss it...:bong:

Thanks Cream!! I'm following your journal as well. :smokin:

That would be great news 4twenty4all!! I'll take some of that. :smokin:

Here's a closer look at the seed if that helps..

indicaseed.jpg

Maybe it will be easier to recognize what stain it may be related to in the latter flowering stages (assuming it's a female).

Here's a few more pix. The Indica was germinated on 11/06/08 (17 days ago). It's looking pretty good. Just hit it with 1/4 strength Grow Big.

qfiday17fromseed-1.jpg

qfiday17fromseed-2.jpg

Here are the other four Sativa/hybrids. They were germinated on 11/11/08 (12 days old).

qfiday17fromseed-3.jpg

qfiday17fromseed-4.jpg

qfiday17fromseed-5.jpg

qfiday17fromseed-6.jpg

A couple are a little twisty but now that I've moved them to 20oz cups, they should be fine.

I've got my veg room all cleaned up and tweaked so I'll be moving these into their vegging pots and placing them under the 400w MH next week. More pix then!!

Harry

I agree with 4twenty4all that that seed is Red Diesel. I just got my barny's Feminized Red Diesel and it looked a greaaat deal like your little seed. I wish you luck in that being a RD because after reading twenties grow journal i hear there prettty fucking sick! Cant wait for my girlies to be grown up!

Harry, we all know seeds just look like seeds....and you really don't know what you are gonna get...but, funny how I have only seen these striped seeds with the Red Diesel and all of the crosses with the Red Diesel have these stripes, look at my crosses with Red Diesel x Arjan's Haze #3... You will be very delighted if there is some Red Diesel in them buddy!
IMG_0155.JPG

Thanks Ms.Fox & Bee!!

Wow, those seeds are striped up 4twenty4all, Unlike the 5 I had that weren't viable, those look very mature as well. I was concerned that the lighter ones that were given to me were too immature and I was right.

Since we are on the subject of seeds, I decided to look closer at the seeds from the 4 Sativa plants I have in this grow. I still have a few seeds left from the strain. Here's a pic of them.

mexisativaseeds.jpg

They look more blotchy than striped. Most of my seeds are more uniform in color but many are speckled, rather than striped.

I'm just happy to get one Indica going. :smokin:

I don't have much of a chance to obtain any more Indica seeds. I'm way to paranoid to try to order them online. Last time I ordered some Absinthe, it was opened and inspected by customs. They left me a note. ;) It's legal to import Absinthe for personal use though. I'm not much of a drinker but I wanted to try it. I liked it but it's just too expensive.

Harry

Those 4 do look more blotchy...but maybe I am way off and the stripes have nothing to do with red diesel...but that is the first time that I saw anything like it and just assumed that it is a genetic in the red diesel specifically... Oh well, can't wait to watch this one grow out nice and big.

I just took the chance and ordered online and the first time they were missing from the envelope but it was from Amsterdam so I assume someone knew exactly what they were. I was much more successful with my other orders ;-). I have enough different kinds now that I'll only need to order if something really awesome comes out, but I will order again, eventually... Hope you get a girl!

You guys were cracking me up with your little seed identification process....I was wondering how long it would go on for... HArry, have you decided how you are going to grow it? You going to go for the classic Indica one donkey dick main cola or you going to try some LSTing?:peace:

Back
Top Bottom