Jims 1st grow - LEDs - feminized Lemon skunk - advice?

KingJim23

Hey guys,

This is my first grow. So I am expecting I will make a few mistakes, I only intend on growing the one plant for now so I can focus on it.
I got a few seeds from Pick n Mix seed company. I have just germinated my feminized Lemon Skunk.

the set up:

Indica strain
Indoor closet grow
Soil: Canna terra proffesional
Pot size: 6L
Generally room temp and higher
LED - red and blue spectrum (equivalent to 30-100W HPS/Halide)
Nutrients - Plant start seedling feed NPK: 2/1.15/2.3 (first 2 weeks)
- Growth Technology Ionic (Grow for veg, Soil Bloom for flowering)

I was wondering though, does it matter that I have used a light giving of both red and blue spectrum for the veg phase? Any comments/help or suggestions would be great. I'l try and keep adding photos of the progress...

tmpphpzMGRBB.jpg

Thats the germinated feminised lemon skunk - this is 6 days afer planting the seed directly into the peat cups and soil

PLEASE COMMENT!!:thanks:

Red and blue spectrum is good. After a while you may want to add a 2 ft fluro fixture for some back side lighting. Only use organic nutes, cause chem ones will burn off all your fan leaves. Read up on "low stress training" or lst for your plant, it really does increase the yield.

Red and blue spectrum is good. After a while you may want to add a 2 ft fluro fixture for some back side lighting. Only use organic nutes, cause chem ones will burn off all your fan leaves. Read up on "low stress training" or lst for your plant, it really does increase the yield.
I read a page on LST, I will probably give that a go as it might reduce the final height of the plant as well as a bigger yeild - do you agree? I would be worried about poking hooks into the soil - would this effect the root system? or increase chance of disease?

The plan is to not spend too much on the whole thing, so if I do decide I need another light - what is the best option?

Also I am watering approximately every 2 days, but so far I havent even given it 1L (In a week including germination). The pH of the bottled water is 7.2, should I be looking to use a lower pH and will it make much difference?? Have I given the plant sufficient water for a 6L container?

As for nutes, Im trying not to use very much throughout the whole growth - as i prefer the idea of the plant being more natural. So I probably wont buy any organic nutes, just use minimum of what I have (which is some pretty good stuff I think) to keep the plant healthy.

Am I on the right lines??? Thanks for all your advice!

Jim first off great choice of strains.:smokin:

Led panels are going to give you problems. Please read some of my led and garden thread.

I would get at least 1 clf it will save you IMO.

Good Luck.

Pan4

What sort of problems will I have with LEDs do you think??

Can you explain what you mean by IMO?

Thanks for your help :rollit:

Cheers guys, this is all usefull info, keep it coming!
After how long does it take until the rapid growth begins? Is it now that the first set of true leaves have sprouted or later?

Does it help if the pot/container is open to the surrounding air? At the minute I have it inside a box with bubble wrap stuffed around it to keep the roots nice and warm, but there's probably no air circulation happening through lower holes.

:thanks: again to everyone giving input on here!

Anyone like to name her? :

PICT0114.JPG

phpHXny9iPM.jpg

There is a small amount of browny substance on the end of one of the round leaves, but Im pretty sure this was left after the seed dropped off. Not from disease or heat. Should I attempt to remove this or is it ok?

What sort of problems will I have with LEDs do you think??

Can you explain what you mean by IMO?

Thanks for your help :rollit:

Jim
I found using led for growing it doe not quite supply the light requirement that the plants needed. I started off with DIY led panels my plants were stunted and I ended up using cfl then I moved up to a 400w HID. I don't want rain your parade IMO.

IMO - In My Opinion.

Best of luck.:cool:

Pan4

Jim
I found using led for growing it doe not quite supply the light requirement that the plants needed. I started off with DIY led panels my plants were stunted and I ended up using cfl then I moved up to a 400w HID. I don't want rain your parade IMO.

IMO - In My Opinion.

Best of luck.:cool:

Pan4
thanks pan, so what LED set up did you attempt? I bought a bulb of ebay, it has 168 small LEDs - something like 38 are blue and the rest are red (the reviews were good). The plant seems to be making nice progress atm too. waiting on a small fan to arrive to improve the air circulation and thicken the stem up. I am definately going to try the LST grow method, as I dont have much height to use (19 inches of the top soil)... may have to flower early?

anyone tell me how much water I should be giving it at this stage?? - every 2 days I have given it about half a cup, should I give it more as I cant improve the humidity much?

The fan came, so ive rigged that one up. Ive got a 12 square inch red LED panel coming soon hopefully - 225 tiny bulbs. so should help get bit more light down for flowering later on. So far its looking pretty healthy, watering with bottled water - pH 6.5. I'l get some more photos up when its a bit bigger.

slightly concerned about security... should be ok

:rollit:

Dude, stop wasting you money on the leds, they are not there yet. You may do ok with veg, seems like you have some of the cheaper lights so I am not expecting to see very good results. You will need primary lighting and use the led as an added bonus. You can take a look at my LED journal and that was with a real LED light. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I think you will be frustrated later on down the road. The decision is yours.. Either way good luck with your grow... :peace:

I thought about doing the LCD pathway like you, but i think it's better to use CFLs. Or at least that's what i've found by looking around here. Try adding one or two CFLs to the mix to really up the light.

Thanks pan

I am using LEDs that have been bought from a decent supplier (I think) so I'm hoping that the plant will continue to make more progress. The fan seems to be sorting out the circulation problem I had at first. The plant is alomost ready to begin LST.

anyone have any information on this strain? THC content, yield etc

Any more info is usefull.

:cool:

Nice work Pan , is that one you mentioned in flower on a grow journal I can look at?

Well Ive got a hell of a load more LEDs on their way so I guess I will just have to see what happens. What height did you position your LEDs when you tried?

Its snowing outside!

Jim, I can't wait to see how ur LED idea works out. I thought about getting LED things, like you mentioned, but people turned me on to CFLs instead. If ur LED thing works well, i might get a powerful panel of them to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom