Sticky mucus on the bottom of my dwc roots

Johnthebasic

so my plants are about 2 months old and ive had a difficult time keeping them from getting root rot, they got it bad 2 but i was able to stop it by flushing the system, cleaning absolutely everything with white vinegar, got 10 gallons of fresh spring water, fresh cns17 nutrients with 1 cap of white distilled vinegar per gallon, also changed all of the medium, i used hydroton, but a day later i have what looks like clear buggers all over the reservoir and the bottom of the roots and on the bubble stone, its blocking my plants from their nutrients, please help, i dont have much money is the problem so im hoping for a home remedy.

Re: sticky mucus on the bottom of my dwc roots.

Two things I can think off the bat. Whats your water temp and is your water r/o. Have you put h2o2 in your system

Re: Sticky mucus on the bottom of my dwc roots.

too much acid makes an environment that's good for bad microbes

Re: Sticky mucus on the bottom of my dwc roots.

I got the slime build up from using vinegar as a ph down, there is a name for the creature you are growing--(I'm to burnt to google it,right now)

I now keep vinegar and lemon juice, away from the water grows.

I am on my first grow and have experienced the same thing. In my DWC the reason i was getting root rot was light penetration. If light gets in your reservoir or your buckets it can create a great place to grow bacteria. The next time i was just getting slime and the reason was molasses. I used the recommended 1 tsp per gallon and it was too much i think. anyway cut that out and gtg. Also careful with your water temp, it should be 69 F and below even as low 50s i have been told although i keep mine between 67-69.

Hey Bub. I've been in the same boat as you for 3 months. Slime and very slow root growth. I tried everything H2O2, bleach and Aquashield as directed on bottle. No luck. I was pretty discouraged and going broke. Then I tried this Tea. I went out in the woods and back yard to get some different types of "natural compost." I scraped and dug under the snow and dug some frozen compost from the garden. Added this to the bucket with well water, molasses, aquashield and an air stone. This brewed for 3 days and I fed my DWC buckets after giving them and the net pots/roots a good cleaning with a shower head put on massage/pulse. I paid close attention to the roots. Soak air stone in a strong bleach/water mix. About 25% bleach to water for an hour. I rinsed it, then ran air through it for 30min till all of the chlorine smell was gone. Keep stone out of tub while doing this. I just sat the stone with air pump hooked to it next to the res. This way no bleach gets in the bucket you will be making tea in.
I dosed my clean dwc buckets as directed in the link below. Its been 4 days and the slime is gone, new roots are popping through and the best thing is the roots I had before treatment are now longer, whiter and slime/mucus free for the first time in 3 months. Do not add nutes to the bucket for the first 3 days. Use straight water that has been PHd and a small amount of cal/mag if you use RO water. After 3 days do another good cleaning and mix up water and nutes, fix PH and dose them with your tea. Pour some into net pots to get your roots covered in all the microbes you grew.
Finally things are going I the right direction. I hope this helps you. I spent months going through posts and sites looking for answers.
The answer was I DID'NT HAVE ROOT ROT BUT AN ALGA ATTACK! It really helps to treat the correct problem. RIGHT?!! Treating for root rot only made the algae worse. I was in a no win cycle.

This is the post that changed everything- Good luck
https://www.--------.org/dwc-------------/361430-dwc-root-slime-cure-aka.html

Try beneficial bacterial tea.

I like this recipe.

1 gallon RO H2O
1/2 tsp Subculture B
0.5 mL Orca liquid
1/2 teaspoon organic brown sugar or molasses

You pop an airstone in this mix and get it bubbling nicely. Let it run for 3 days. This allows the bacteria to multiply big time. I usually make pretty large batches this scales well.

At about 3 days the sugar supply will be running low so and there are billions of ravenous bacteria ready to put a big hurt on all the bad bacteria in your system.

Add 1 - 4 cups per site or 1/4 cup per gallon of system capacity.

Do this every 3 days.

I like to save a little amount of tea and use it to culture my next batch thus saving my Orca and Subculture B for a monthly refresh. I don't clean the bucket for about 30 days or ten batches. Then I clean it and start with fresh culture usually.

Great luck to all!

and this should get rid of root rot and snotty substances on roots and in res?!?!

after doing the tea use preventive (h202) or just continue using tea?

Sounds like your bucket water temp is too high. Try this cheap way to keep temps down.

Pump water from your bucket into the a small fridge's freezer section. Spiral the pipe in the freezer to get as much surface area possible then pump it back into your bucket. Hook up the fridge and water pump to the same power and add a thermostat. When the water goes over the pre determined temp, the thermostat kicks in and keeps the water on the right temp

If you have a bar fridge lying around this is a very cheap way to cool water.

Back
Top Bottom