First time White Widow 6 plant 8gal DWC Bubbler.....Just shy of a month

5chord

I'm growing non-feminized White Widow in a DWC Bubbler from Stealth Hydro. The lights are 105W Compact flourecents x3 1-2700k, 1-5000k and 1 6500k for a total of 18,600 lumens and four 40watt tubes for effect.

I dropped the seeds directly into the rockwool on February 3rd and here we are today....Any thoughts? I am astounded at the thickness of the stalks and horizontal development, but the vertical growth, not so much

20150301_092438.jpg
20150301_075703.jpg
20150301_075657.jpg
20150301_075649.jpg

This is loads compared to me (105W Compact flourecents x3 1-2700k, 1-5000k and 1 6500k for a total of 18,600 lumens) i have 2 x 24 watt florecent bulbs giving out 3300 lumens i dont know much about light but would you consider this to not be enough ?

Hey Steve, I'm pretty new at this too, but I would say that's not enough light for any phase of growing except maybe seedlings. What is the problem with simply putting the babies in the bucket and starting the grow?

Hey Steve, I'm pretty new at this too, but I would say that's not enough light for any phase of growing except maybe seedlings. What is the problem with simply putting the babies in the bucket and starting the grow?

I have 2x24 watt Florescence for Seedlings, 400w MH for veg and 2x400watt HPS for flowering thats my light set up with a 5x5 flowering room

Oh wow, I skipped seedling step and went straight to 18-6 with all lights and 1/2 nutes as soon as I saw the seed had cracked......but I don't know what I'm doing:)

Oh wow, I skipped seedling step and went straight to 18-6 with all lights and 1/2 nutes as soon as I saw the seed had cracked......but I don't know what I'm doing:)

Haha with you on that one, i got one bucket at full strength and other at 1/4 just testing at the moment see what happens.

Few questions for you that i had trouble with:

Do you find it hard to maintain a temp at 75f for day and 65f for night?
Same with Humidity 50% +?

I would say that those are spaced real close. I know you said stealth grow but I have a similar setup. They will grow into each other fast both above and below the lid. Mine grew laterally faster than upward but I had much higher illumination. You should train those out or bloom real early.

When you sex them get some Hygrozyme. You will have to cut out the males at the combined root ball. You must be sterile while fishing out your roots and in cutting them. Then add Hygrozyme to the res. It goes after, amongst other things, dead roots. It is good for any DWC grower but especially recommended for dealling with a dead root situation like you will have.

Next time for that size tote I would grow 1 maybe 2 plants well trained. I personally will not grow plants in the same res that were not clones or same type femed again.

Regarding temps and humidity....again you said stealth grow so I assume you have good overbuilt filtered ventilation system? In most cases good ventilation alleviates the need for most humidity and temp concerns. If you have access to making decent ventilation you wont need to worry probably about temps getting too high until maybe summer. But as with everything if you want to optimize the plants potential you must optimize the environment.

You have been given fine lighting advice but I still recommend looking in that forums advice

Grow Lighting

Hey Vil,

Thanks for the input! You are right on target; I had to cut them back big time...
20150306_135333.jpg

From this....
20150305_210206.jpg

To this....
20150306_135235.jpg

I also got another set of bulbs and I'm now using 6500k x 2 and 5000k x1 I'm going to let them veg another 3-4 weeks, then switch out the 2 6500k bulbs for 2 2700k (red) for the flower stage. I've been using Hygrozyme for the last week and a half. Somebody else here turned me on to it but thanks!

It's not a stealth grow, I bought the stuff from Stealth Hydro

Cheers :)

That container looks more like it was made for a quick turn SOG.

Cutting fan leafs is not recommended. Skipping the science, the plant grows based on energy generated in the fan leaves. The fan leaves are the above ground roots.

Too much pruning will stress the plant hard and enough will stunt growth. Never prune more than 30% of a plant in a week and always give a week no messing with it before doing a major trim. You can tuck a lot. I think the best thing to try is you should try to put a SCROG above that and train it all away unless the space is the same size as the container. If your space you are growing in is basically vertical then you should just go ahead and start flower soon. Like maybe 2 weeks max. If the space is as pictured, a few inches, on 3 sides of the container, then you really will already have a canopy soon that will block light from getting below the top of the plants anyway.

Many tucked ones will eventually yellow and want to fall off. Many leaves below the canopy with wither and fall off too. Flowers will be small under the canopy. So once it has developed there is little to gain growing much more and cramping up the space. You just make it very difficult for the plant to breath with reduced air circulation.

Best of luck!!!

Ah to SCROG or not to to SCROG......Thanks for skipping the science (but not the apocalyptic predictions) Actually, I have a lot of room. The lamp is on a pair of Yo-Yos which have another 12" of play.....but if I eliminate the Yo-Yos, I can gain 19".......and if the plant (s)goes completely crazy, I can take the tote off the make-shift shelf and gain an additional 18".......Which is over 3' of additional vertical space. I probably won't need it though.

20150307_162207.jpg

While this is my first hydro grow, I've had several successful outdoor and one successful indoor harvest so I understand how much to prune for the particular garden.......These plants are thriving after the major hair-cut

20150307_064253.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really want to see how the White Widow turns out. Then I want to see what the yield will be.......i'm going to start the rest of the 'Widow or the "Free-Who-knows-WTF-They-are" seeds on April 3rdish.....In a new 4 x 3 grow tent so I'll have something to flower when I harvest the White Widow.........

Fast forawrd 2 1/2 months and an entirely new evolution of grow technologies LED for bloom.....I figure I'll get close to a QP
20150420_183847.jpg

20150509_134808.jpg
20150511_132454.jpg
20150511_132515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom