DWC Secrets - Do they apply here?

dirtybud

I am assuming that folks have watched some of their videos on flowering technique. They claim that flushing nutes with a few gallons of water and drying will increase resin production.
Their purpose seems to 1) Flush salts build-up. 2) Increase Oxygen absorption to the roots.
One is a soil grow and the other is flood and drain method hydro. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is this possible with DWC?
Better yet, Do you guys have scheduled techniques performed for DWC to make maximum use of the flowering periods and to increase max resin production. Their secret techniques don't seem to lend itself to DWC. Dry roots means dead roots in a DWC, right?

Flush and dry? How do you modify your flowering program to increase resin production during the four stages of flowering in DWC?

Hope this is not a "no" response question, because no one has a clue ...
Any veteran DWC guys out there?

re: DWC Secrets. Do they apply here?

Well if you had your dwc buckets off the ground you could have a drain to empty the buckets, i do believe exposing the roots to air could be beneficial but i dont know if that equals better resin production.

In general, I have heard (in soil grows, especially) that in the flowering period, that decreased humidity (50-55%) and letting the soil go bone dry before watering increases resin production as the plant naturally produces more resin in an effort to lock moisture in to prevent respiration. This is a survival response by the plant.
This idea was a in a 4 chapter Botany study of MJ. I don't know who the author is, nor the title. Several sitings online referring to this method as well. Sorry for the vague citations.
Nish, I like the "bucket lift" idea. I am having a problem with circulation. I was thinking of draining my system and pumping it back in. More specifically, fluid chemistry consistency is my problem. I could lift the bucket to drain and mix my fluid the lower it ...

Anyway, it seems there is limited information on what DWC growers do to accommodate flowering period in regards to chemistry and water levels. If you see anything online, please post it here.
I have not flowered in DWC yet. Only in soil, but I am nearing that stage.
My question: Do growers let their plants consume water, letting the fluid level drop a few inches below the net pots? Then use only fresh water last two weeks of flower (at a lower water level line a few inches from the net pots)? This is my theory I may test. But would rather try a proven method, first.

I do maintenance flushes every 21 or so days in flower giving me usually 3 flushes a flowering. I really don't know if it helps with resin production, but I know if you put UV reptile lights in your flowering area that it will increase the resin production & and purple up the plant

Great question i to have watched the GROW SESSIONS and didnt give it a second thought , my grow is also DWC and now im leaning to just a mild flush but not draining the bucket so would that mean 3 days mild flush and 4 days of pHd water... I think at week 2 and week 6 of flower i will flush for 3 days but put the nutes back in for 4 days and continue with my feeding.

Re: DWC Secrets. Do they apply here?

And for context, I am referring to the guys at Greenhouse - Grow Session secrets. In their videos they always say that they "dry out the roots so a lot of oxygen goes to the roots! Making the plant explode." My thread got edited (company name taken out, because some advertiser complained). I don't know how the "F" anyone is supposed to know what hell I am talking about without that reference. When I think of weed, I think of big brother not supposed to be there. C'mon.

So ... is drying out the roots bullshit? Low level in DWC seems beneficial. Killing my roots when going back to normal does not.

Well I have not flushed and drained and left it. But I do notice that I get crazy root growth and proportional growth up above during times of low water levels. However, I have also noticed that after letting the water line drop for more than 3 days than filling back to normal to high, I damage my roots. Everything slows down and my roots turn brown. I have drowned a couple. Sets me back a couple weeks to a month. You also have to watch your pH and nutrient concentration when it gets low, naturally. But I'm finding that draining and letting my plants sit in 2 inches of fluid for a couple days, really does work for exploding growth in roots and plant. I will test more and let you know results. Seems week 3 and 5 is best for my setup. Have seen no correlation with resin production so far. But I am expecting bigger yields, if I can improve consistency in my method. I will experiment with timing and levels.

Hello, I think I understand and I have grown mostly with dwc in the past. A few tricks that I am finding from research turned to experiment now put into practice as a rule.

With regards to DWC I grow with LED's so I tend to use less nutrients. That being said I start my ppm's out low during transition, until about a week into actual flowering. From there I stop the veg nutrients and add more flowering nutrients maintaining this low ppm. Early flowering is identical, only raising ppm level's in late flowering for 2 weeks. In the ripen stage I use more macro nutrients and drop ppm levels for 1 week. The last week is used for a flush, personally I flush with clearex for a couple of hours, and run distilled water until harvest.

During harvest you can allow her to dry out somewhere dark with good airflow in an empty bucket for as long as you are comfortable. Eventually your roots will dry out and the plant will start to wither. At this time I finish with the curing and dry them upside down until they are finished.

I use 5 gallon buckets very common. If I use 3 gallons of water it will be around an inch from the bottom of my net pot. So I instead used 2 gallons thus exposing more roots and creating DWC/Aero setup, by giving room for roots to constantly breathe and absorb nutrients through evaporating water.

Typically I will flush every two weeks, to maintain the beneficial life that has colonized my root zone. During this time pure ph'd water is added until my ppm levels drop and requires me to add nutrients to maintain optimal growth in the different stages. This is done for two weeks with the last few days being pure water, in anticipation for the flush.

Re reading one of your questions, if you are comfortable with fully submerging your root zone so much so that it is only an inch below the net pot. Make sure you provide ample oxygen, if you would like natural oxygen and the other benefits refer to earlier notes.

With regards to resin production a lot of it depends on genetics. Although, I do/use multiple things to increase it. The first being LED's, the second being an 11/13 light schedule. In my experience this creates more resin but can decrease in yield somewhat. However I would rather smoke more resin than plant matter. The third is a supplement I use, basically anything designed to provide some sugars to aid in turpen development. Next is genetics, I chose a reputable breeder with a high claim of thc and cbd. I put this one last because its controversial, but It might be a big contributing factor. Seeing how fast plants respond in DWC, creating high stress environments is very beneficial. Like super cropping, but mainly defoliation. In nature when a lady is losing leaves she will defending herself by increasing resin and thc production, to add more psychoactive properties to what ever may be feeding on it. Also more resin production means less leaf space for insects to feed.

One thing also during nutrient changes and or ppm adjustment/topping off I place my net on an empty bucket, they can be there anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so under the lights. This happens almost on a daily basis, more so if I am using distilled water vs the crap they provide through tap.

All of these things combined with a good grow environment should lead to bigger yields and resin covered ladies. In closing if you have a lady that isn't genetically going to produce a lot of resin, chances are you are not going to be able to increase it by much. Here is a picture of my setup and a few recent resin shots, starting week 4 flowering. The strain is Pineapple Chunk. The biggest is/was my mother plant the other 2 are her clones.

These pictures are a combination of buds and sugar/upper leaf development.

S20150813_0001.jpg

S20150813_0004.jpg

S20150813_0003.jpg

Not so great setup picture setup basically the whole back half of my ladies are missing from the photo because they are being bleached out.

20150815_032347_HDR.jpg

20150815_032356.jpg

I hope this helps.

And for context, I am referring to the guys at Greenhouse - Grow Session secrets. In their videos they always say that they "dry out the roots so a lot of oxygen goes to the roots! Making the plant explode." My thread got edited (company name taken out, because some advertiser complained). I don't know how the "F" anyone is supposed to know what hell I am talking about without that reference. When I think of weed, I think of big brother not supposed to be there. C'mon.

So ... is drying out the roots bullshit? Low level in DWC seems beneficial. Killing my roots when going back to normal does not.

Well I have not flushed and drained and left it. But I do notice that I get crazy root growth and proportional growth up above during times of low water levels. However, I have also noticed that after letting the water line drop for more than 3 days than filling back to normal to high, I damage my roots. Everything slows down and my roots turn brown. I have drowned a couple. Sets me back a couple weeks to a month. You also have to watch your pH and nutrient concentration when it gets low, naturally. But I'm finding that draining and letting my plants sit in 2 inches of fluid for a couple days, really does work for exploding growth in roots and plant. I will test more and let you know results. Seems week 3 and 5 is best for my setup. Have seen no correlation with resin production so far. But I am expecting bigger yields, if I can improve consistency in my method. I will experiment with timing and levels.

Just seen this "dry out the roots so a lot of oxygen goes tot he roots!".

You are in DWC, you provide oxygen to the roots via some form like an air stone. This is what makes DWC and hydroponics work so well, because everything is waiting for them, your ladies have to do no work at all. If you want more oxygen get a bigger pump and air stone. If your roots are not white you might want to invest in more air first and a water aid to prevent algae growth/root rot etc.

Wow. Addonexxus. Can't wait to read your reply ... And thanks to all who have responded.
Great photos of your trikes. I have a cob led on the way. Can't wait. I use 600 w hps now.
I will try out your method. Here's a few updated shots from this morning.

I have a multi stage area for mothers and cloning and veg. Then I have a dedicated flower room big enough for 4 big lights. I just have one light in flower room, now. Been busy growing and not enough time to post stuff. Room is a little dirty, but moving plants around. Guess they don't call me dirtybud for nothing. I have about 5 or 6 different strains I have been working with from seed.

Hydro is definitely a learning process.

you can become a superstar, If you don't collapse like a house of cards first from all the fails that is. I've stuck with hydro and it's only been getting exponentially better each grow. The next grow will be A+++ awesome I'm sure.

day 39 sativa - colombian gold
IMG-20150817-01128.jpg

Vlad

I do maintenance flushes every 21 or so days in flower giving me usually 3 flushes a flowering. I really don't know if it helps with resin production, but I know if you put UV reptile lights in your flowering area that it will increase the resin production & and purple up the plant

I think youre just wasting nutes mate. Dont flush unless necessary and I never find it necessary to flush while flowering.

Back
Top Bottom