Advance Nutes

spencerz123

I have been using advance nute for sometime now. I switched to general hydro because i found a sweet deal.
I noticed after a first day using GH that roots were not pearl white they were a light cream color. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
I am running a chiller so DWC conditions are perfect

If the girls are doing ok, don't worry about it. I run AN and had to use some GH micro in a pinch and the same thing happened. I run a table drip custom flood rig and ran into discoloring before, no big deal.

I run AN and I have never had pearly white roots outside of first couple of weeks. The Nutes I use, some of them have very dark colors and the roots pick that color up. As long as the plants are healthy and looking good, who cares what color the roots are! :)

One thing to note is pithium or other root issues don't typically happen "overnight". If you add a new chemical and it changes all the roots instantly it is just staining and no big deal. If you have done nothing different and are just using the same stuff you have been and slowly you are seeing a change to the worse then you need to take action. Usually it will start in one area and get worse and worse.

Just my 2 cents

But I agree as long as it is just staining then no big dealio.

:thumb:

1ml/gal of H2O2 every three days keeps my roots nice and white in gh.

@ iwltfum

Just be careful when giving advice like that because a lot of people don't understand what a steril vs. living res means. If they are dumping in voodoo juice or GH bacteria and then follow your advice they are dumping money down the drain.

@ Kal1424

What he is saying is if you keep it sterile then you wont have a pitium problem. That is generally true but not really what this thread is about.

I may be wrong but my understanding is Spencer made a nute change and stained his roots which is very common on many nutes. My cal mag from General Organics will stain seriously bad but it is just staining and not an issue.

Root Rot or other problems in the tank can be prevented by keeping a sterile tank or by running a proper beneficial bacteria tank. This is a religious debate. There is no right answer. But you must decide which one you want to try and do it correctly. Luckily you can go back and forth and I think that is the best option. That is a totally different topic.

Running a beneficial bacteria has numerous benefits. One of the more obvious ones is it leaves no space for bad bacteria to grow.

Running sterile is in some ways easier but is more expensive unless you don't know how to run bennies right.

Both are correct ways to run the tank.

But what you don't want to do is add a bunch of beneficial bacteria then turn on a chiller and dump in H2O2. Then you are just purposefully killing your expensive beneficial bacteria.

:peace:

But why do you need that? I dont seem to need any H2O2.

Oxygen and cleanliness. An h2o2 molecule will find organic matter and kill it (as Villiageidiot rightly corrected me, don't use if you are trying to keep beneficial bacteria in your system) ***There are also several hydroponic products that are rendered useless with the use of h2o2. Look into it before you try it.*** A byproduct of the reaction is oxygen. So, it keeps your res clean and at the same time, oxygenates your water.

But to answer your question: It's not necessary, I'm just anal.

EDIT: I'm not sure why it keeps the gh from staining, but I have paper white roots consistently.

Hydrogen peroxide is a main ingredient used by many people to lighten their hair color. That is basically a bleaching type agent. You can use it for lots of things but it is a very strong chemical that is probably "bleaching" out the roots for ya.

I am not chemist...I am just a pot head.

You know that proactive crap kids use for zits...That is basically H2O2. My wife uses it and all her facial towels are bleached out. That stuff is strong man. Like she washes and rinses and then dries off and it still kills the towels.

You know that proactive crap kids use for zits...That is basically H2O2. My wife uses it and all her facial towels are bleached out. That stuff is strong man. Like she washes and rinses and then dries off and it still kills the towels.

Yeah, I agree. Not sure its even necessary to be honest! I have bottle that I have never opened. Maybe I will use it to go blonde his summer. :D

I really don't care to debate it because I have a firm position and I know that no one is correct (including me). I can go off with all the reasons I wouldn't do a sterile res. but it doesn't change the fact that you can get superior results that way if you do it correctly.

H2O2 however is a very strong chemical. I use it all the time for disinfecting especially cuts. But I have had 2 doctors and a vet explain to me that it actually burns the living cells under the skin and can cause permanent scaring. Diluted into a res it properly it is not a problem and can be very beneficial. But you should always try to understand what the chemicals are doing that you are using.

I can go off with all the reasons I wouldn't do a sterile res. but it doesn't change the fact that you can get superior results that way if you do it correctly.

Is there a thread where this debate has already happened or is currently going on? Very curious now.

I would just add this and then I will shut up.

I make my own special tea of beneficial bacteria. I have included all the main ingredients in a number of Advanced Nutrients more expensive products. You could say it is a combo of Voodoo juice, Tarantula, Nirvana, Sensizyme, Bud factor X, Ancient earth and Bud candy. I make it for next to nothing. I get supper sticky results with so much resin that it is oozing out of the nodes like a tree oozing sap (that is mainly the chitosan). I even got bud sights on fan leaves because of the chitosan. But I get many supper sticky buds with resin like this.

Sap.JPG

You could still add in some chitosan but the method I use to make it on the cheap is to break it down in a bacteria tea. Otherwise the stuff is like 100 bones for a small container of bud factor X.

My recommendation for people who do run sterile is a week before dumping the res stop adding stuff like H2O2, at 2-3 days before you dump the res for a change you turn off the cooler and dump in a beneficial tea. The stuff usually only lasts a few days before dieing off anyway if you have a properly sealed res. That way you can get the benefits of both if you are smart about it.

Cheers...only 24 more days before it is 100% legal for me to grow in Oregon without any license or anything. :cheer:

If your running GH3 it will turn the roots a little cream colored. Always does for me anyways. I see the debate about H2O2 or not going on.

I can only speak for DWC.

If you run Z7 water treatment with GH3 it is hard for me to believe that you would ever need or want to run H2O2 or anything else.

Just a few drops of Z7 has stopped all root rot in my DWC and keeps my buckets spotless.

I had all kinds of issues before it and I tried everything out there. If you try it. You do have to cut the nutes a little. Keep them on the low side at first and work back up.

I was shocked how well it worked.. I do not know anyone at Z7. But I would recommend to anyone running DWC to check it out. It was a game changer for me. They make some wild claims about it and I do not know if all of them are true. But I know for sure that a lot of them are true.

Excellent point!!! I would never do DWC without Hygrozyme. I never tried Z7 but I am sure it does much the same. Hygrozyme Does all those same things. The folks at Hygrozyme say their product can not be duplicated but that is probably only true to a point. I will have to give that Z7 a try as it looks cheaper.

I can say that one of the things I like the most about Hygrozyme is it "eats" up the dead roots and turns them back into food for the plant. I would not be surprised if Z7 does the same.

So understanding that...then it supports the rest of those claims as dead and dieing roots in the res contribute to all those problems they claim to fix.

I use it regularly but also as part of my tea. I can't say it makes em white as I do too many things that stain but I don't care about stain. I don't need them to be white to catch pithium.

If your running GH3 it will turn the roots a little cream colored. Always does for me anyways. I see the debate about H2O2 or not going on.

I can only speak for DWC.

If you run Z7 water treatment with GH3 it is hard for me to believe that you would ever need or want to run H2O2 or anything else.

Just a few drops of Z7 has stopped all root rot in my DWC and keeps my buckets spotless.

I had all kinds of issues before it and I tried everything out there. If you try it. You do have to cut the nutes a little. Keep them on the low side at first and work back up.

I was shocked how well it worked.. I do not know anyone at Z7. But I would recommend to anyone running DWC to check it out. It was a game changer for me. They make some wild claims about it and I do not know if all of them are true. But I know for sure that a lot of them are true.

Z7 by Flying Skull. Good stuff.

Excellent point!!! I would never do DWC without Hygrozyme. I never tried Z7 but I am sure it does much the same. Hygrozyme Does all those same things. The folks at Hygrozyme say their product can not be duplicated but that is probably only true to a point. I will have to give that Z7 a try as it looks cheaper.

I can say that one of the things I like the most about Hygrozyme is it "eats" up the dead roots and turns them back into food for the plant. I would not be surprised if Z7 does the same.

So understanding that...then it supports the rest of those claims as dead and dieing roots in the res contribute to all those problems they claim to fix.

I use it regularly but also as part of my tea. I can't say it makes em white as I do too many things that stain but I don't care about stain. I don't need them to be white to catch pithium.
I have an almost entire bottle of hygrozyme, you're welcome to it.

Back
Top Bottom