First Try at DWC

OregonGrown79

So I am thinking about starting my first DWC and am looking for a little advice. I want to do 2 plants in flower while 2 plants are in veg, sounds simple enough! I am planning on doing a 500 MH for veg or possibly LOTS of cfls, haven't decided yet(I could use some tips here!) I am planning on a 500/750/10000 HPS for flowering, this is set. My questions begin with container size. Should I keep the plants separate or in the same container? I was planning on using 5 gallon buckets(1 for each plant.) Is there a better way? As far as drainage and refill I am a pipe fitter by trade so that's no issue! I have a 5x5x6.5 tent for flowering and will be constructing another "area" for veg. I have been lurking on here for a while and finally(now that it's "legal" in my state) decided to take the plunge! This will be mostly for fun and to keep friends and girlfriend in supply for fairly cheap. Thanks for any advice and pointers.
Oregon

I will try to answer what I can for you.

I am already doing what your talking about with more then one kind of plant and at different stages in the plants life.

I use free standing 5gal buckets. That way you can total control just of how much you feed each of them. (some like one thing some another)

If you are just growing for yourself. It is the best way to go.

If you also take clones before you send them into flower. You could have a perpetual grow. ei some in clone veg and flower at the same time. You would need two lights set on different times to pull it off.

I use LED in my setup and would recommend LED over clfs for veg. I like LED for both veg and flower because of the heat that HID puts out. Clfs does work good for clones. But I just put them in the corner of my veg tent.

I use GH 3part with z7 water treatment and a half a dose of hydroguard. With that setup I have not seen any mold or root rot and my buckets stay spotless.

With that setup you can grow whatever you want and it is the best setup to run different kinds of plants at the same time.

Growers who are going to be selling their crop would be better off hooking all the buckets together and growing a full tent of clones from the same plant. Because they will all like the same thing.

Hope that helps a little...

Good Luck!

I use 5 gallon Bucket system as well it's great. I am on my first grow and have not had any issues with GH 3 part. I am using bud candy and big bud advance nutes for my flowering. I Also used CalMag and hydro guard. I have seen the 2 bucket system which works great if you are using a ScrOg. Makes it easier. I ran cfls up to week 7 of veg. I then switched to 600w mh bulb. Big difference. My plant doubled in sized with the 3 weeks extra I did of veg. I Am on my 2nd week of flower under 600w hps. The heat is an issues but once you get an inline fan and some duct it's a very controllable. Best of luck mate

So I am looking at the Virtual Sun magnetic ballast that functions with hps/mh bulbs. Going to get the cool tube reflector as well. Any thoughts or ideas on this lighting system? Also, what size net pot should I get, they guy at the hydro store says to use huge ones!? Still have a while before this starts so I am trying to get it right the first time! I have some sour diesel that is going to go in the tent for the first batch.
Oregon

I do not know about the light you talking about.

But I do know you do not need a net pot any bigger then 6".

Those big net pots hold far more hydroton then needed and make it hard to work with.

I use 6's and have one 10" I am testing out with a hydrofram drip ring and air stone in it.

The ten is to heavy and I also like to slide my lids over when checking and adding water and the big net pots make that harder too.

Back
Top Bottom