Defects on leaves and topping

TriangleCheese

Hey guys. I am recently DWC growing one SuperSilverHaze and one PurePowerPlant. Both were clones. I gotta tell you PPP is the most handsome and strong plant I have ever seen. SSH on the other hand, has not much of a solid one in my experience. I topped SSH 7 days ago and I topped PPP today. Before I topped haze I had cropped both plants. PPP released its roots into the water 2 weeks after the haze so I am planning to top SSH one more time in that period and start flowering at the same time with the PPP.

The problem is I have some defects on SSH now. Some leaves are coming in odd shapes. They occured after topping so I thought maybe there is too much stress on the plant? I looked all the deficiencies online but I am not %100 sure about the problem. It seems like the ph fluctuation problem but I need to know what the problem is exactly. I want help from more experienced people. If this defect is bad I am afraid I can't top this SSH for the second time and that will lead the plants to have a very different height. I don't want this to happen.

Some details you might need to know;
- My power plant is on an introductory level LST. I topped it anyways since this guy seems so strong. I hope I am not pushing this guy too hard :)
- SSH has only a few branches on LST. I started this process today and the nodes at the point I topped the plant are growing. So the plant keeps getting taller and went back to normal except the defections. It will be so good if I can top this haze in 5-10 days.
-I have same ph fluctuation for PPP and SSH. I change the entire solutions every week and every 5 days for the last 2 weeks. I check ph in every 2 days. It naturally gets high and I pour some ph down in it and always reach the 5.5-6.2 interval.
-I use Connisseur A+B B52 and used Voodoo Juice for the first half of the grow phase.

Thanks in advance. Here are the pictures of defected leaves and the grow room.

16655.jpg

22333.jpg

31863.jpg

41446.jpg

I think you are on point with the ph. I keep my dwc at 5.8 to 6.0 in veg. It looks like it could be nitrogen and if the ph gets below 5.8 it won't uptake nitrogen. Also add a cal-mag of some kind. I use botanicare cal-mag, start with 10 ml per gallon for 2 weeks the go to 5 ml and that should do it.

I will buy cal mag first thing tomorrow. But I can't find the feeding plan for cal mag. Should I use that one all the time? Also 5.8 to 6.0 is a very narrow interval. How do you manage to keep the ph levels between these values? Ph goes up like crazy. And also I don't think that adding ph down solution and monitoring with the yellow ph meter, I think I don't have the precision to work in this 0.2 interval constantly. Any advice is welcomed guys :(

The botanicare is 5 to 10 mills per gallon mixed with your regular nutes. Do 10 mills for 2 weeks then back it to 5 mills. When I say 5.8 to 6.0, that is your number for fresh nutes. I have mine set up so I can drain the bucket every day or every other day and reset the ph to 5.8 to 6.0. You will get ph drift, there is no way around that. It only needs to be adjusted once a day or every other day. When you go to bloom run the ph at 5.4 to 5.8. You can run the veg at 5.8 to 6.2 if that is easier for you. I just wouldn't go below 5.8 in veg because it will start to lockout nitrogen.

So, the problem stands no more. I did not have the chance to buy cal mag but I realised that in my previous grows, flushing has always been a problem solver. I already had Advanced Nutrients Flawless Finish which also contains magnesium and used this solution with pH down for 11 days flush period. I changed the solution in the tank twice. The defects are gone now. Plants are happy but my power plant is kinda overgrown. Hope they will get closer in height. I will go blooming next week, when the yellow leds arrive.

20160220_191551.jpg
20160220_191542.jpg
20160220_191534.jpg

Hey guys. I am recently DWC growing one SuperSilverHaze and one PurePowerPlant. Both were clones. I gotta tell you PPP is the most handsome and strong plant I have ever seen. SSH on the other hand, has not much of a solid one in my experience. I topped SSH 7 days ago and I topped PPP today. Before I topped haze I had cropped both plants. PPP released its roots into the water 2 weeks after the haze so I am planning to top SSH one more time in that period and start flowering at the same time with the PPP.

The problem is I have some defects on SSH now. Some leaves are coming in odd shapes. They occured after topping so I thought maybe there is too much stress on the plant? I looked all the deficiencies online but I am not %100 sure about the problem. It seems like the ph fluctuation problem but I need to know what the problem is exactly. I want help from more experienced people. If this defect is bad I am afraid I can't top this SSH for the second time and that will lead the plants to have a very different height. I don't want this to happen.

Some details you might need to know;
- My power plant is on an introductory level LST. I topped it anyways since this guy seems so strong. I hope I am not pushing this guy too hard :)
- SSH has only a few branches on LST. I started this process today and the nodes at the point I topped the plant are growing. So the plant keeps getting taller and went back to normal except the defections. It will be so good if I can top this haze in 5-10 days.
-I have same ph fluctuation for PPP and SSH. I change the entire solutions every week and every 5 days for the last 2 weeks. I check ph in every 2 days. It naturally gets high and I pour some ph down in it and always reach the 5.5-6.2 interval.
-I use Connisseur A+B B52 and used Voodoo Juice for the first half of the grow phase.

Thanks in advance. Here are the pictures of defected leaves and the grow room.

16655.jpg

22333.jpg

31863.jpg

41446.jpg
I've grown SSh several times under 2 600 watt hps lights. Flowering for 9-10 weeks and had excellent results. I just grew 2 using using 2 40" mars hydro leds. Plants looked good but volume is less than half. I also am growing a Nevilles Haze and its bulking up so-so. I also wont get near what I did using hps. So I'm going back to hps. I have a 7' ceiling. So I slide the plants sideways a bit and tilt my lights. My hoods are 30"x36" and very lightweight. Plants touching each other can cause growth.(Competition) I'm not a fan of topping myself. Overdoing on the topping is stressful. I do think topping works best in grow stage, before you switch to flowering. Keep in mind a plant will still grow several inches after switching. I'm thinking SSH are more regimented on how they're grown. It is the only plant that I know where only indoor growing is recommended. And lastly I stay away from hydroponics. Less fuss. I know that 6 oz plus per plant are possible using hps. 10-12 oz plus for NH under hps. SSH is my favourite. Good luck. I'm not an expert by the way. Just my experience over the last several years.

Hey nechako! This is a bit of an old thread, but you were speaking my language! I don’t grow SSH but I am in love with one of her children, Super Lemon Haze and I believe the growth patterns are similar (depending on the pheno). I’ve been in DWC for about a decade now, currently in a RDWC setup. I just finished a grow under LEDs so I don’t have any comparisons yet since I’m waiting on dry weight, but seems to at least be comparable if not heavier yield than I had with HPS, mostly due to heat issues that I don’t have to contend with LED. Generally tho I have no problems hitting 1g/watt in hydro, hopefully 1.2g/watt in hydro under LED. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom