Please help! Copper toxicity!

jmarch33

Im brand new to forums so please bare with me...

First off , love the site , I have been lurking and soaking all of your generous knowledge for about 100 hours over the last three weeks. Thank you to everyone.

This is my first grow and I went pretty big right out of the gate.
Lighting is all Mars Hydro II 700.
Im using multiple 25 gal reservoirs for DWC and have 16 and 36 site trays.
My plants are 24 days old from seed and have been doing pretty well most of the way. Had a little issue with root rot about a week ago when res temps got up to 75F.
Growing : Blue Dream, Special Kush, Incredible Bulk, Pakistan Valley, Purple Bud, Jack Herer, and a few others.

I built a large chiller / heat exchanger system out of a Chest freezer from Lowes. 2 pond pumps circulate about 50 gallons of cool water through copper coils in each of my reservoirs drawing heat out as needed. The coils are 10' long each. A temp controller kicks the compressor on as needed and pumps are on a timer to run 30 min on 60 off. It has been working flawlessly for about a week. Holding any temp I choose. usually 68F.

I knew the copper would be attacked and dissolved by the acidic PH (5.8) in my reservoirs but I change out the water weekly so I didn't think it would be an issue this fast. The plants have grown tremendously in the past 24 hours but the newer growth was bright lime green this morning. As the day progressed more leaves started turning this color. I identified it as an Iron deficiency caused by copper toxicity. Upon inspection of the copper coil I can clearly see oxidation or a reaction happening so I assume it is from that. I am also using Dutch master Zone which contains copper.

I am running just plain ph-ed water right now with 75 ml of calmag plus with iron. is this a good idea? Flush but provide Iron if it is needed?

I just ran some of this nute solution of the leaves of each plant in an attempt to foliar feed them.

Any advise as to where I should go from here? Do you think the plants are going to die?

Thanks, I just ordered stainless coils and removed the copper for now.
Do you think the plants will make a recovery? Or will they be stunted for life?
I had these set apart to become mothers.

Also all of my plants are extremely short and dense. They are kind of like a huge head of lettuce growing, you cant see through them.
Should I thin them out or will they spread out on their own? The growth is so thick that you have hard time finding the meristem. I searched this problem and cant really find much on it.

Thanks, I just ordered stainless coils and removed the copper for now.
Do you think the plants will make a recovery? Or will they be stunted for life?
I had these set apart to become mothers.

Also all of my plants are extremely short and dense. They are kind of like a huge head of lettuce growing, you cant see through them.
Should I thin them out or will they spread out on their own? The growth is so thick that you have hard time finding the meristem. I searched this problem and cant really find much on it.

I think your plants will have healthy new growth if everything is ok in about a week on average. Old leaves won't recover.

For size issue, try raising your lights.. I find that LEDs keep things very short if they're not up high enough.

Back
Top Bottom