A formula for killing spider mites

RandyL

My associate, K, and I are growing some plants now, see my Journal entry for more details.

A week or 2 ago, we noticed we had spider mites on a few plants, so after some research, K came up with this formula to kill them.

1 quart spray bottle, half full of water. Several ounces of 70% isopropyl alcohol, several ounces of vinegar, and an ounce or 2 of lemon juice. And a couple spoonfuls of baking soda. Makes a big pile of fizz when it hits the vinegar! :smokin:

I can't give more exact measurements because we just eyeballed it. But it's been killing the mites very well and has not seemed to hurt the plants. K said using these ingredients was all natural, so we tried it.

So far so good! We'll be watching to see how it goes.:popcorn:

Re: A formula for killing spider mites.

That concoction sounds like it would make any bugs life miserable!
About 10 years ago I had a nasty infestation of spider mites and tried nearly every eco friendly solution to apply to the plant with nominal success.
After talking to a renowed organic gardener in my area he turned me on to Ladybugs, Praying Mantis, predator mites and predator nematodes.
I applied the beneficial bugs at the source. Outside where they live instead of on my plants in the grow room.
Starting the next year and every year since I have not had any mites on my pot and my yard and property is free from ants, fleas, chiggers, nematodes, grubs, and spidermites. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

An update to the formula. K said he found out today that vinegar is a weed killer.

So leave the vinegar out, and also the baking soda. Just alcohol and lemon juice, mixed with water. Water 50%, alcohol 50%, and enough lemon juice to make it all turn yellow.

An update to the formula. K said he found out today that vinegar is a weed killer.

So leave the vinegar out, and also the baking soda. Just alcohol and lemon juice, mixed with water. Water 50%, alcohol 50%, and enough lemon juice to make it all turn yellow.

I think solutions like your initial one is supposed to be rinsed off after use? I havent had to use anything to rid pests yet but here is a proven formula that is simular?

1/4 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Apple Cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 drops dish detergent
1/4 Teaspoon Epsom Salts

Take a cup of very hot water and dissolve the epsom salts, take rest of ingredients and place in a clean 2 liter bottle and let work out. Add epsom solution. Add water to fill to 48ozs(3/4 full).Shake well.

TO USE: Cover soil/medium with plastic,with lights off mist plant all over,especialy under leaves,
Wait 20 mins,then spritz off with clean fresh water shaking as much water off plant as you can.
The fresh water spritz rinse will remove the solution along with the desolved remains of the mites and their eggs.

Water plants 1/2 hour before spraying. This will help keep your plants from absorbing the spray.

This solution has been tested and used as directed will not burn plants,the rinse is very important though as it removes the spent solution before it can concentrate and burn the plant. It also removes most of the dead mites and eggs so you don't end up smoking/eating them.:peace:

:goodluck:

The only thing I've found to be truly effective is Floramite alternated with Forbid 4F, every other application (30days).

Mites build up an immunity very fast, that's why you need to alternate, but both of these are 100% for adults, larvae, and eggs.

Very expensive and very potent. 1/4tsp/gallon for Floramite and 1/8tsp/gallon for the Forbid and you are not supposed to apply more than once every 30 days.

But, they work.

DD

Mite-Rid from down under is supposed to do the trick

Ladybugs are general predators that feed on a variety of insects including aphids, moth eggs, mites, scales, thrips, leafhoppers, and mealybugs as well as other slow-moving insects.

A ladybug eats insects during both the adult and larval stages, so you can buy ladybugs as adults and continue to have live ladybugs eating through other parts of their life cycle as they reproduce.

The real benefit of using ladybugs to combat pests is they can be used at any stage of plant growth to combat infestation. So if your late into flowering and only few weeks away from harvest... ladybugs will save the day and won't harm your crop.:bravo:

The real upside to this approach (aside from being organic)... is they are extremely cheap.

1500 will run you like $7.00 and are good for 500sq ft...

72K will run you around $85.00 and are good for one acre

Ladybugs are general predators that feed on a variety of insects including aphids, moth eggs, mites, scales, thrips, leafhoppers, and mealybugs as well as other slow-moving insects.

A ladybug eats insects during both the adult and larval stages, so you can buy ladybugs as adults and continue to have live ladybugs eating through other parts of their life cycle as they reproduce.

The real benefit of using ladybugs to combat pests is they can be used at any stage of plant growth to combat infestation. So if your late into flowering and only few weeks away from harvest... ladybugs will save the day and won't harm your crop.:bravo:

The real upside to this approach (aside from being organic)... is they are extremely cheap.

1500 will run you like $7.00 and are good for 500sq ft...

72K will run you around $85.00 and are good for one acre

Ladybugs are more recommended I think because they're cheaper and more available but the best predator for an indoor grow room is the
MESOSEIULUS LONGIPES
(Predator)
Longipes (0.5mm.) reddish predatory mites used in dry conditions. As the temperatures increase, Longpipes requires greater humidity. Feeds on spider mites and other mites.

Try getting them though while ladybugs gravatate to your grow naturally.

Ladybugs are more recommended I think because they're cheaper and more available but the best predator for an indoor grow room is the
MESOSEIULUS LONGIPES
(Predator)
Longipes (0.5mm.) reddish predatory mites used in dry conditions. As the temperatures increase, Longpipes requires greater humidity. Feeds on spider mites and other mites.

Try getting them though while ladybugs gravitate to your grow naturally.

Lady bugs are more appealing and user friendly, in that they don't have the "icky ugly bug" factor if your squeamish.

Insofar as which is better.... you'd have to ask Grissom...

last year I had, I hesitate to use the word infestation.. it was more like a scouting force for the coming invasion of an infestation... we used LB's, they worked great....

Since that time we have been toying with the idea of adding a couple of hundred ladybugs every so often Just to be safe.... Personally I feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound a cure.

I know this is a couple of weeks old..
As for the spray..Isopropyl Alcohol and water alone are very good at keeping adult spider mites at bay...I was told buy a couple of growers, and co-op owners that it is ok to use up until harvest..I have tried it with some success..I don't have a set formula, but 1 part I.A. to 10 parts H2O(as cold as possible). Then respray with just ice water..You shouldn't get any burning because the IA will evaporate quickly.
Predatory mites...There are different kinds for different environments, so do some research, but I have heard Destroyer Mites are great... eating 10-15 adult mites a day and/or 25-30 eggs a day..They are expensive, and as with all organic anti-mite systems you must start the process the day you see the first sign. Once they get out of control its a losing battle..You might kill the mites, but you will destroy you crop...or you'll be forced to harvest early, or have dead mites, and webbing in you bud.....pressurized air cans help with that(like the type used to spray dust from computer keyboards)

Back
Top Bottom