5 gallon bucket cheap cloner DIY

BakedAlaskan

Hi all

So I am just a small-time med grower for my wife's headaches. I dont need anything fancy or high production for clones but rockwool and a humdity dome just isnt working. After reading through lots of DIY examples of aero cloners it appears that the #1 issue people face has to do with leaking lids from storage totes. One guy made an amazing cloner from an old cooler. Great idea, but the cooler alone costs $25 unless I source one used.

Here were my requirements:
  1. enough for 15 clones
  2. Cheap
  3. watertight
  4. effective (~100% success)
  5. Cheap
  6. Easy to build
  7. Easy to clean

Also I wanted to do this without spending a lot of money. :winkyface:

Here are the parts:

Harbor Freight pump - $12.88 on sale
IMG_45962.JPG

Submersible heater. $15.99 from Petco.com on sale
IMG_45972.JPG

Bucket and lid from Lowe's (no pic). $4.78

Grounded timer from Harbor freight (no pic). $3.99 on sale

Neoprene inserts ($ .25 ea from hydro store). Total: $2.25

A cake platter with lid from the Dollar store. $1.00

Some bubble wrap: Free with the Petco.com order.

Total invested: $40.89

Step 1: Assemble the pump tubes to make a fountain.
IMG_45991.JPG

..into this
IMG_46002.JPG

That bottom piece is important - it enables control over the spray pressure by relieving excess water. By allowing the pump to move at a lower pressure it also keeps the heat down. In addition, the relief water helps to oxygenate the reservior.

Step 2: Position the pump and heater securely in the bottom of the bucket.
IMG_46021.JPG

Step 3: Adjust the spray.
IMG_46052.JPG

This is where the control will come in really handy. You may want to offset the spray a little so that the middle nozzle isnt hammering the middle cutting.

Step 4: Drill the lid and wire holes. A straightedge and a sharpie are your friend.
IMG_46112.JPG

Here is the holesaw. I didnt factor the price of tools into this build, but if you need one of these cheaply Harbor Freight will hook you up. Make sure your inserts are larger than your saw.
IMG_46096.JPG

Mark your spots and drill away! If you want cleaner holes, place the lid on something solid and sacrificial like an old board. I didnt care and the holes work just fine drilling like I did.
IMG_46142.JPG

When you are all done, place the inserts in. I chose colored ones so that it is easier to track strains.
IMG_4613.JPG

Finally drill the hole for the cord. Make it large enough for just the head of the cord only. Make a grommet from the bubble wrap. I recommend coming through the lid for a couple of reasons - 1: It prevents leaks. 2: If you screw up something you have not ruined a bucket. Lids are disposable. Buckets less so.
IMG_46102.JPG

Step 5: The most important step. If you built this in the bathroom for testing in the tub, be sure to cleanup your mess. Nothing will piss off the War Department more than finding little plastic shavings in her tub or on her floor.
IMG_46153.JPG

That was it! now on to testing her out.

I wont go into cloning 101, because I learned everything I know from other threads on this forum. However unlike other aero cloners I doubled up the cuttings for each insert. I set the timer to run 15m per-hour. Temp is set at 75deg F. I added a few drops of "superthrive" to the water. It is in a dimly-lit area of my den. I have run with a humidity dome (the cake carrier lid)

Here is a shot in action (cake carrier lid removed)
IMG_4679.JPG

From underneath 7 days after cutting:
IMG_46881.JPG

Note two stems per insert. Seems to work just fine! Lots of roots and NO LEAKS!! :high-five:

Parting comment - I plan to spend a few more $ to acquire some sprayers and PVC pipe. I think the roots would be happier with more of a misting and less of a spraying. When that adaptation is complete Ill update.

Happy cloning!! :thumb:

That looks sweet! I think you will have a great spray pattern. Are you planning to incorporate a water heater? What cycle interval do you plan to use? I think the idea of dropping in an airstone is a great one - if the roots get down to the water's edge they will need the oxygen.

Cheers
Ty

Lookin good! Cultivator mentioned to me that he uses pirahana, cannazym and voodoo juice in his res. His roots are amazing! My last round was okay, but I plan to model this recipe on my next set of cuttings (which may be this weekend if time permits).

Let me know if you provide anything to the water, and how your results go!
-Ty

Do you think the airstones are necessary since you're already aerating the water by pumping it through the spray heads?
Perhaps if you're using a timer and most of the time it's not spraying. Then is probably helps.

Those are both nice looking cloners. :thumb:

Update.This is the same clone from post#10.I can say,I have the whites roots I've ever had.I think it may be the GW.I proubly will pot these as soon as there ready.I am reading up on cutting clones from plants that have been in flower for 2 to 3 weeks.It's not anything new.They call it Monster cropping and it look's very interesting to me.I have plants at 19 days on 12/12,so why not give it a shot.I know they take longer,as they will need to re veg,but maybe we can work on speeding it up some how.Maybe cut, then place in running cloner with no light for 24 to 30 hrs,then start your schedule.IDK.
027160.JPG
026172.JPG

You can reveg the flowering branch while you clone it. It takes awhile but it works. They make great mothers. Those little bud clusters turn into a crazy amount of branches. They make really bushy plants. More so than you could do with any other technique of training.

May try this. Already have buckets. :) Just need inserts. Found online, but broke at the moment.

May try this. Already have buckets. :) Just need inserts. Found online, but broke at the moment.

Mine were $0.25 at my hydro store.

Back
Top Bottom